OtakuBoards

Your Views on Love & Hate

Aberinkula

[quote name='ssj chic']I personally believe the opposite of love is actually indifference.[/QUOTE]

[color=indigo]I?d agree with that.

I think that many people fail to realize that love and hate are not mutually exclusive emotions, it is easy and common to hate someone you love. It is impossible to be truly indifferent to someone you love (or hate for that matter).

I have never been in love. Sure, I have thought I was in love before, but I have never honestly met anyone that has made me care about their feelings and happiness more than my own (with the exeption of some immediate family).

Hatred? Well yeah. But I tend to have a petty sense of hatred. Rarely do I hate people that have wronged me. Instead I hate people that, through no fault of their own, point out or illustrate my own flaws. It isn?t an intense ?I?m going to kill you? hatred, but more of an intense internal loathing. [/color]

[quote name='ssj chic']Just because you disagree with someone, doesn't mean you must get worked up (pissed off). People differ in opinions, that's life.[/QUOTE]... O_o ...it... was a joke. Indifference is a behavior, AND there's a member named indifference. Get it?

Ah man, my jokes suck. (fail)

I don't think there is such a thing as a universal definition for love or hate. People decide how they define hate and love and then apply that definition in real life. But what do I know?
Do I love people? Yes, my family. Especially my dog. I love him so much that I would go overboard and seriously hurt someone if they mistreated him. I think that's the kind of fanatical love that people here hate. But he's my dog!
As for hating people, I say I hate people but not really. When I say I hate someone, I just mean that if they were hanging off the side of a cliff I'd let them hang for a few minutes before pulling them up. If I truly hated them I'd be stomping on their fingers.
Love and hate are really strong emotions that I don't feel easily. But it is easier for me to love someone than it is to hate them. And I thought I was a pessimist.

[quote name='ssj chic']I personally believe the opposite of love is actually indifference.[/quote]
[quote name='Heaven's Cloud][color=indigo]I think that many people fail to realize that love and hate are not mutually exclusive emotions, [B]it is easy and common to hate someone you love.[/B'] It is impossible to be truly indifferent to someone you love (or hate for that matter).[/color][/quote]
[FONT=Arial]I'm going to have to call a solid No on that. See, while you do bring up the rather good point that indifference is neither love nor hate, the bolded statement is using the version of "hate" most commonly used (or should I say "bandied about") in present day casual conversation to express common distaste. I would even argue that it is impossible to hate someone or something you love, as well as its reverse.

I return to the previous example of my sisters. I cannot hate them. I can be aggravated with them, I can be explosively angry with them, I even be enraged to the point of violence at them; but I cannot hate them, because I love them. If I hated them, there would be no boundaries to what I might do to them given sufficient motive and the opportunity. However?and I assure you I am being perfectly honest here?I cannot cause them more than superficial harm without emotionally damaging myself. (By superficial here I mean something like a noogie or a slap on the back.)

It is easy and common to dislike someone you love, and to speak of it as "hate" simply as a synonym. However, to truly hate them is impossible.

Indifference, on the other hand, is simply the lack of either one of these to any degree at all.[/FONT]

I think you are missing the depth of their statements. Indifference is the worst, cruelest thing you can do to a human being. You completely shun their relevance and existence. Ergo, love is just the opposite, where you worship their relevance and acknowledge their existence far more than any other emotion allows. The rest of the emotions/feelings/whatever are just gradients in this spectrum. When you hate someone, they still have acknowledgement from you. You still do "something" towards them. There is a connection, even if it is a bad one. Indifference is no connection. Love is complete connection. Sort of like that...

There's a famous saying... Something about it's better to feel a pin prick than to feel nothing at all? Someone help me out here?

[COLOR="Indigo"][quote name='AzureWolf;801463]Yeah, that member pisses me off too. =P[/QUOTE][quote name='ssj chic;801468]Just because you disagree with someone, doesn't mean you must get worked up (pissed off). People differ in opinions, that's life.[/QUOTE]I knew he was joking. ;)[QUOTE=2008DigitalBoy;801464][COLOR="DarkOrange"']I wonder what it means that I love indifference : O ?![/COLOR][/quote]I'm wondering that myself actually. :p Oh and by the way, I like the name change, now I can go back to referring to you as DB again. Somehow DEM just seemed surreal. lol[QUOTE=Allamorph'][FONT=Arial]I'm going to have to call a solid No on that. See, while you do bring up the rather good point that indifference is neither love nor hate, the bolded statement is using the version of "hate" most commonly used (or should I say "bandied about") in present day casual conversation to express common distaste. I would even argue that it is impossible to hate someone or something you love, as well as its reverse.

I return to the previous example of my sisters. I cannot hate them. I can be aggravated with them, I can be explosively angry with them, I even be enraged to the point of violence at them; but I cannot hate them, because I love them. If I hated them, there would be no boundaries to what I might do to them given sufficient motive and the opportunity. However?and I assure you I am being perfectly honest here?I cannot cause them more than superficial harm without emotionally damaging myself. (By superficial here I mean something like a noogie or a slap on the back.)

It is easy and common to dislike someone you love, and to speak of it as "hate" simply as a synonym. However, to truly hate them is impossible.

Indifference, on the other hand, is simply the lack of either one of these to any degree at all.[/FONT][/QUOTE]And I'm going to disagree with you. You're being way to literal in regards to the meaning of indifference. On it's own, it's exactly what you said in the last sentence of your post. In relation to other emotions such as love and hate, it is an exact opposite in the sense that it ignores the validity or even the presence of the other emotion. Love and hate are on opposite ends and indifference sits in the middle refusing to acknowledge any of them.

Also, you're talking about the extreme case of hate as if it's impossible to have something about someone that you truly hate or detest if you also love them. It's ridiculously easy for someone to go from love to hate, I see it all the time in my work. You could argue that if they truly loved a person they would never do that, but that would only be valid in relation to how you personally would respond to such a situation.

It's a nice sentiment to think that you could never harm someone you love, but realistically? Everyone has their breaking point and hopefully, you never have someone do something that pushes you to that position. [/COLOR]

[quote name='AzureWolf']I think you are missing the depth of their statements. Indifference is the worst, cruelest thing you can do to a human being. You completely shun their relevance and existence. Ergo, love is just the opposite, where you worship their relevance and acknowledge their existence far more than any other emotion allows. The rest of the emotions/feelings/whatever are just gradients in this spectrum. When you hate someone, they still have acknowledgement from you. You still do "something" towards them. There is a connection, even if it is a bad one. Indifference is no connection. Love is complete connection. Sort of like that...

There's a famous saying... Something about it's better to feel a pin prick than to feel nothing at all? Someone help me out here?[/QUOTE]

I am so sorry! I haven't been here in ages so I had no idea there was someone on here called indifference. Man, I need to catch up.

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"][quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Arial]So, what, I should take it figuratively?

:confused:[/FONT][/QUOTE]I think she means in relation to both love and hate instead of by itself. You can correct me if I'm wrong Crystia, but the way I see it is that in a relationship between two people, whether it's a couple, family or friends, etc. This kind of indifference can only happen between people who should have some form of connection, only in this thread we're talking about love and hate. The only way I can explain that is through my own experiences with my mother growing up.

I won't mince words, she was and still is a horribly cruel and mean spirited woman. I could write for hours and still not be finished with all the things she did. She was literally indifferent to any pain or misery that she was causing me, all in the name of appearing to be a kind mother to others and yet doing nothing kind to me at all. I also think there were times that she genuinely hated me as well. Mostly at the end once I moved out and started getting free from her influence. Which was not easy by the way.

Then, something happened, I grew up enough to realize that the problem was her, not me. And after a while, my desire to have a loving relationship with her died. Like any child who didn't know any better, I loved her when I was growing up and really thought that I was the problem as she so often told me. It took a while but once I had been away long enough, I became the indifferent one. I went through a period of intense hatred for things she did and then finally settled into what I have been for the past decade, a state of indifference.

I no longer love or hate her. I simply have nothing to do with her at all. She has, in the past few years tried to make a token attempt to apologize, but they are far from sincere and she now bad mouths me behind my back to anyone who will listen, trust me I know, I've been accosted by total strangers from her church ward, telling me what a cruel and horrible daughter I am to be so uncaring towards my mother.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that a simple definition of indifference doesn't really cut it. It's part of the love/hate process and one of the possible outcomes. You can love someone, you can hate someone or you can end up in the middle, no longer caring about someone you once loved and hated. I think you have to have either loved or hated someone, or at the very least at least cared about them even if only as a friend, to truly be indifferent to them.

For example, I'm indifferent to most of the world, but that's only because I don't really know the people out there. It's not because I chose to be that way or our interactions resulted in my being 'indifferent' to them. It's only because I don't know them. [/FONT][/COLOR]

• 2 weeks later...
Hate: Therse only one person I truly hate in the world. He ruined my social life, he ruined me and he pretty much ruined everything. Thats all Im gonna say about him, anyways, I hate him and his guts and hopes he dies in the most painful way possible and then die a thousand times more. The feeling of 'hate' is probably only true when someone has betrayed you in the most horrible ways and there is no other possible way to put it I believe.

Love: Love is probably just as painful as hate to me, I've learned to trust again. Although, after my previous experience it scarred me forever and now Im one of those over protective people who doesnt want there boyfriend to communicate with any other girl he doesnt know. I'm quite sad at that. I believe my reason to is justified though after the last thing that happened to me. I find love a wonderful thing, and Im really happy with my boyfriend ^^. He makes me so awesome and beatiful and awesome! (and apparently makes me lose half my literacy)

Sorry if I got off topic in that -_-;