OtakuBoards

Mafia 2: The Dark One

Ellerby

[center][img]http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/2892/mafiacopyqi3.jpg[/img][/center]

[SIZE="1"]It's finally here. After a lot of tweaking and planning with help from other members, the second Mafia game for Otakuboards is now ready for launch. Because this sequel is only loosely based on Mafia (where the first was a lot like it) I'm creating the Backstage thread first so you have a better idea of how things work well before you sign-up.[/SIZE]
[FONT="Trebuchet MS"]
The first thing you should know is that this time around, each person playing through the RP has their own unique elemental power. Throughout the game there will be different challenges that I will post. Using your element and surroundings in a creative way, you will complete the challenge in one (or more) post(s). Once everyone has had their character complete the challenge I will decide on a winner based on a bunch of different things (who completed the challenge in the most original way, etc).

Before I tell you what winning a challenge gets you, let me explain the Dark One. You must also know (and this is important) that when a challenge is done, nobody ever finds out who won the challenge except for the person who won. I will tell them in private and give them their prize in private.

The Dark One is a role given to one person at the beginning of the game. Basically they become corrupted and gain the ability to kill one person in between every challenge (keep in mind each player will have 3 lives so if you die first you aren't out of the game). The only way to die is by being killed by the Dark One so it's a very strong position to be in. Strong enough to want it to yourself.

The way to become the Dark One (or steal the position of Dark One from someone else) is by figuring out who the Dark One is. Throughout the challenges, small clues can randomly be found that will slowly point towards the Dark Ones identity. If you win a challenge, you get one very big clue making it easier to see who is corrupted. Once you know how certain clues connect, you PM me with your guess and why you think that person is the killer and if your reason is good enough and your guess is correct, you will succesfully steal the position of Dark One. Keep in mind that nobody will ever know the position of Dark One has shifted to someone else. This means that over time clues can become out dated if the position keeps shifting.

There are items that can be unlocked in challenges when certain conditions are met (which will remain unknown until someone accidently does it in their post) that can help keep your character alive. Things like +1 Life to any player, or Immunity for one round.

So if you win a challenge, you get a clue pointing towards the Dark One. But what happens when the Dark One wins a challenge? When the corrupted player wins, they choose any one player and basically that player becomes corrupted for a turn (tainted, if you will). Both the Dark One and the Tainted One will choose someone to die in between the challenge, and once both victims have been chosen the Tainted One will return to normal.

The main objective of the game is to be one of the last two survivors (as either the Dark One or a regular person) and then duke it out in one final battle.

Questions? Feedback? Suggestions?[/FONT]

[SIZE=1]This sounds like a really good concept, and it seems like you've put a lot of effort into it. The rules are fairly simple, and should be easy to follow, which obviously helps in an "experimental" kind of RP like this.

I do have one question regarding the whole "Tainted One" scenario. Surely, if the Dark One wins a challenge and then another player becomes Tainted, won't the Tainted One immediately know who the Dark One is? Is there some kind of rule in place that means they can't make their guess to you, or divulge the information to any of the other players?
[/SIZE]

[quote name='Blayze'][SIZE=1]I do have one question regarding the whole "Tainted One" scenario. Surely, if the Dark One wins a challenge and then another player becomes Tainted, won't the Tainted One immediately know who the Dark One is? Is there some kind of rule in place that means they can't make their guess to you, or divulge the information to any of the other players?
[/SIZE][/QUOTE]
[FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DimGray"]The Tainted One never actually finds out who the Dark One is. The Dark One tells me in private who they want to corrupt and I tell the chosen person in private that they've been tainted for one round.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[size=1]Meep - meep, I look forward to it. :'D

I was just wondering. Isn't it obvious to The Dark One that when someone has won a round and The Dark One suddenly loses their powers... That it's probably the person who won the round? They got the big clue and all... Maybe I'm overlooking things, sorry. :P[/size]

[quote name='Blayze][SIZE="1"]Surely, if the Dark One wins a challenge and then another player becomes Tainted, won't the Tainted One immediately know who the Dark One is?[/SIZE][/QUOTE][QUOTE=Boo][SIZE="1"']Isn't it obvious to The Dark One that when someone has won a round and The Dark One suddenly loses their powers... That it's probably the person who won the round?[/SIZE][/quote]

[quote name='8bit][FONT="Trebuchet MS"]You must also know (and this is important) that when a challenge is done, [B]nobody ever finds out who won the challenge except for the person who won.[/B'] I will tell them in private and give them their prize in private.[/FONT][/quote]
[FONT=Arial]Right. That clear things up a bit?

Hi-ya, [COLOR="DarkRed"]White[/COLOR]. Looks neat.

So basically, all players start with three stock (like SSB), and one player loses one stock per round, unless the Dark One wins a challenge, and then two players lose one stock each that round—unless the same person is chosen by both Dark and Tainted. All deaths take place before each successive round (save the first, I assume), and after any "Dark One" switchage has occurred. Everything else is based on sheer posting creativity.

That sound about right? I'm game. :animesmil[/FONT]

Do the players who are permanently removed still have any posting power?

Just saying, some people might not like playing a game and not helping to finish it. But that's the point of games, isn't it?

[SIZE="4"][B][U]THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE[/U][/B][/SIZE]

This is definitely interesting. It's like Clue on steroids. "Pop the pill, Colonel Mustard." I look forward to reading it!

[quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Arial]That sound about right? I'm game. :animesmil[/FONT][/QUOTE]
[FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DimGray"]That's exactly right. Sorry I couldn't explain it well. I'll be putting in more info when the recruitment thread is made. At least then you'll get a better understanding of the story.

Umm, if anyone has any ideas for different elements people can choose from feel free to suggest them. This is what I've got so far, it will be one element per person.

Water, Earth, Fire, Forest, Air, and Lightning. As well as Spirit which allows you to connect to spirits of certain things to gain abilities. So like gain the Spirit of the Cheetah to get super fast running speed, or the Spirit of the Hawk for impeccable eyesight.

[quote name='Inculta_Bellum']Do the players who are permanently removed still have any posting power?

Just saying, some people might not like playing a game and not helping to finish it. But that's the point of games, isn't it?[/QUOTE]
Once a player has lost all three of their lives, the only way for them to have any influence on the game is the same way other members (who were never in the RP to begin with) do which is occasionally voting and other things. Also there might be some twists where an old player is brought back from dead.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[quote name='8bit][FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DimGray"]That's exactly right. Sorry I couldn't explain it well.[/COLOR'][/FONT][/quote]
[FONT=Arial]Rubbish. You were very clear. All I did was strip out all the nonessential verbiage. You know, the stuff that makes it interesting to read, and that makes people want to join.

[QUOTE=8bit][FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DimGray"]Umm, if anyone has any ideas for different elements people can choose from feel free to suggest them. This is what I've got so far, it will be one element per person.

Water, Earth, Fire, Forest, Air, and Lightning. As well as Spirit which allows you to connect to spirits of certain things to gain abilities. So like gain the Spirit of the Cheetah to get super fast running speed, or the Spirit of the Hawk for impeccable eyesight.[/COLOR][/FONT][/QUOTE]
Now, about these elements: are they chosen during initial sign-up? If so, that seems kind of limiting, as far as creativity is concerned. Also?and this just occurred to me?you'll need as many unique "elements" as you have players, and because you do not know currently how many players you'll have, you therefore need to have [I]more[/I].

Since I assume you've already thought of this situation, judging by your mention of various "Spirits", what do you think about "element" rotation every round? It might make the terms a bit easier, since players don't have elements so much as they have abilities. Then the focus isn't on your particular element as a player, but on whatever ability you command that round and your ingenuity in adapting to it. You have three variables to adjust to: your situation, your element, and how you use both as creatively as possible to win.

Ability rotation would also mean that you wouldn't necessarily require players to sign up with an element, though you could still do it. That's not so much a suggestion, though, as it is a random thought.

I'm certain you can come up with enough abilities, but if I happen to think of any offhand, I'll be sure to check with you about them.[/FONT]

[FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DimGray"]We've actually thought about using a different kind of element system where at the beginning of every challenge I'll present a list of certain elements the players can choose from and that's the element they use for that round. Say there's five elements, each one will have its own strength and weakness for the challenge.

In the case of more people then elements, I can easily say once an element has been chosen twice you cannot take that one and have to settle for something less. You only have it for a round anyway.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[b]EDIT:[/b] I've decided I'm going to save this RP for the summer. It'll be a lot more fun with more people participating and in the summer there will be a lot more people with free time to join. If you still want your elemental RP fix, I'm making an Avatar RP soon. ^_^