OtakuBoards

Now That We've Narrowed Down The Candidates...

Morpheus

Who Would You Vote For?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Who Would You Vote For?

• Barrack Obama
    • Hillary Clinton
    • John McCain
    • Mitt Romney
    • Mike Huckabee
    • Ron Paul
    • Undecided
    • Not voting/Not old enough to vote

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]Oh good god. This is the best the nation could do.

Lordy.

I honestly have no idea who to pick. I mean if you held a very large gun to my head and said CHOOSE! I'd probably end up voting for Obama, just because the day I vote for Hillary is the day I curl my toes up to Heaven and breath my last breath.

I think McCain is world's worst choice, Huckabee is the nominee for the disgruntled religious left, and Romney's about as charismatic as my big left toe. Aside from the fact that this country hasn't elected a Senator since President Kennedy... I just can't stand it. But remember. Unless you vote, you can NOT complain.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Neuvoxraiha'][COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]Oh good god. This is the best the nation could do.

Lordy.[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Silly Raiha. You say this as if it hasn't been the case for the last 20-some odd years.

I kind of like Huckabee at this point, but in a pinch, I'd go with Obama. Despite having the least experience, he has it together more than most of the others. I tend to ignore party lines as I feel they totally skewer many people's views.

Wait, where is Ralph Nader?

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]I'd vote for Obama, because although he spews some some of the atypical political drivel, he still comes off as a sincerely nice person. I tend to look down on those who say "This nation is not ready for a black president with the name Obama" That's judging a person on a whole new level of ignorance that doesn't need to be there in the first place. As long as you're getting the job done for Americans...then you're ok in my book. Plus Obama focuses his campaign on domestic issues, not just pulling out our troops.[/FONT]

[color=crimson]Wandering into independent territory, what is your opinion of Michael Bloomberg?

He is not definitively involved in the race, but has done a great deal of probing into his possibilities on a national level. I would say there are a few situations where he might throw his hat in, if prompted to believe he could pull something off.[/color]

[quote name='DeathKnight'][color=crimson]Wandering into independent territory, what is your opinion of Michael Bloomberg?

He is not definitively involved in the race, but has done a great deal of probing into his possibilities on a national level. I would say there are a few situations where he might throw his hat in, if prompted to believe he could pull something off.[/color][/QUOTE][size=1]I think if Bloomberg wanted to throw his hat into the ring, he should have done it already. There is still plenty of time before the elections, but he doesn't have enough of a national profile to make an impact at this point. All I think he would do is draw votes away from whoever the Democratic candidate would be.

As for Nader, I read that he was still considering running for '08, so um.... cool?

While I don't like Hillary for a lot of non-political reasons, I find myself siding with her on most domestic policy issues. I like Ron Paul a lot, but there's no way in hell he's going to be elected to anything. This makes Clinton the clear front-runner for me at the moment.

1) Paul, 2) Clinton, 3) McCain, 4) Obama, 5) Romney

I would never vote for Huckabee, no matter how charismatic he is.

-Shy[/size]

I'd almost just rather [i]not[/i] complain.

I suppose I'd vote for Obama, but only if Hillary isn't his VP. I strongly disapprove of that one. But in the end, they're all politicians--I strongly disapprove of them all.

Huckabee just makes me giggle.

Obama seems like the most likely to make any genuine change. And if by the end of the next President's tenure, the gears of change aren't turning, I'm packing my bags and getting the hell out of this country.

I don't know where I'm going, but I'm getting out of here.

-Justin

[color=#9933ff]I really don't understand the Hillary hate. You may not like her personally, but you know, if you look at her policies, she's about on par with Obama on a few issues (the ones I looked up that are important to me anyway).

I also find that occasionally, the reasons people give for not liking her, i.e. "she's scary!" are the same reasons people WOULD vote for a male candidate. (She's scary and she's going to rule over American like a tyrannical Cthulu, as opposed to, "wow, that candidate is scary and he could totally dominate against other politicans.) And for God's sakes I am NOT, NOT NOT NOT attempting to turn this into a "Wah, boo-hoo, gender discrimination!!" debate. It hasn't been an issue in the reporting coverage, but in a private setting, I have seen some of it, and I thought it would be an interesting issue to address. As much as I wish her being a woman didn't affect the race... it does. ;)

Though, of course, silly me, no one actually votes on candidates based on what their policies are - they'd rather vote based on appearance and likability.

Personally, whoever wins the Dem. nomination - Obama or Clinton, I'll vote for. They're similar on the issues important to me, and both have their strengths and weaknesses (in ability to be elected).[/color]

I only have two preferences really, one I'd prefer that the candidate is a Democrat and two I absolutely refuse to vote for Mitt Romney. I'd rather not vote for Hillary since I don't care for her idea of Universal Health care, but if faced between her and Romney, she'd get my vote just to keep him out. I just wish we had better choices since I really don't like any of them to tell the truth.

[quote name='Rachmaninoff']I only have two preferences really, one I'd prefer that the candidate is a Democrat and two I absolutely refuse to vote for Mitt Romney. I'd rather not vote for Hillary since I don't care for her idea of Universal Health care, but if faced between her and Romney, she'd get my vote just to keep him out. I just wish we had better choices since I really don't like any of them to tell the truth.[/QUOTE]

And if Mitt Romney declared a love for classical music?

Because he looks like the guy who sells those box sets from Time Life.

[quote name='ZeitGeist']And if Mitt Romney declared a love for classical music?[/quote]
[FONT=Arial]Dude, if [I]Barney[/I] decided Classical music was the stuff, I still wouldn't like him all that much.

Sorry, that was just a dumb statement. :animesmil[/FONT]

[quote name='ZeitGeist']And if Mitt Romney declared a love for classical music?

Because he looks like the guy who sells those box sets from Time Life.[/QUOTE][color=#9933ff]XD That makes me laugh. Even if he did like classical, I still wouldn't vote for him.

Besides, if he did, he's probably like Mozart. Ew! ><; [/color]

[quote name='MistressRoxie'][color=#9933ff]

Besides, if he did, he's probably like Mozart. Ew! ><; [/color][/QUOTE]

[font="trebuchet ms"] What? Mozart rocks it, ok? lol

But I agree with you about the whole Hilary hate thing. Even the reason "because I think she's corrupt" is sort of laughable. Because Obama is so clean. :rolleyes: Sometimes people confuse me. [/font]

[font=Arial]I'll be voting for Obama. I support the vast majority of his points of view and past judgments in relation to public policy.

I see his vote against the Iraq war as perhaps the most indicative of his political character. In a time when opposing the war was unpopular and demagogued by both sides as "un-American," he stood by what he felt was right. This not only shows a surprising degree of foresight and lucidity, but a show of his will and independence. He didn't feel there was enough justification and stood by his guns.

This aside, I'm tired of Hilary crying and getting votes. I'm tired of Bill acting like an upset parent at a kid sporting event yelling from the sidelines. I'm tired of their distortions of Obama's record and their underhanded politics. I mean I support the Clinton legacy of the 90s, but I truly despise their approach to this election.[/font]

[color=crimson]"Feb. 4 (Bloomberg) -- Democrat Hillary Clinton has raised more money from lobbyists than any other presidential candidate while Republican John McCain has more of them assisting his campaign.

Clinton took in $823,087 from registered lobbyists and members of their firms in 2007 and the second-biggest recipient was McCain, who took in $416,321, according to the Center for Responsive Politics, a Washington-based group which tracks political giving. Barack Obama, Clinton's rival for the Democratic nomination, doesn't take money from registered lobbyists, although he received $86,282 from employees of firms that lobby, according to the center

McCain has 26 registered lobbyists as campaign advisers or fundraisers compared with 11 for Clinton and none for Obama, according to review of records compiled by Public Citizen, a Washington-based group that favors stronger disclosure laws for lobbyists."

Not really sure what part of this is funny, Lunox.[/color]

[quote name='DeathKnight'][color=crimson]"Feb. 4 (Bloomberg) -- Democrat Hillary Clinton has raised more money from lobbyists than any other presidential candidate while Republican John McCain has more of them assisting his campaign.

Clinton took in $823,087 from registered lobbyists and members of their firms in 2007 and the second-biggest recipient was McCain, who took in $416,321, according to the Center for Responsive Politics, a Washington-based group which tracks political giving. Barack Obama, Clinton's rival for the Democratic nomination, doesn't take money from registered lobbyists, although he received $86,282 from employees of firms that lobby, according to the center

McCain has 26 registered lobbyists as campaign advisers or fundraisers compared with 11 for Clinton and none for Obama, according to review of records compiled by Public Citizen, a Washington-based group that favors stronger disclosure laws for lobbyists."

Not really sure what part of this is funny, Lunox.[/color][/QUOTE]

[font="trebuchet ms"]Me neither. Overall it was just a very informative and dry article. [/font]

[quote name='Lunox'][font="trebuchet ms"]Me neither. Overall it was just a very informative and dry article. [/font][/QUOTE]

[color=crimson]*shakes head* The more mature option would have been no response instead falling into your human nature so easily. But, eh, maybe you are being serious.

Barack Obama is inexperienced. Barack Obama has ties to legal law firm lobbyists. He also has offered only a few concrete plans inside of his broader overall message of change and hope. Sometimes listening to him reminds me of some of Dewey's speeches I have studied that were all hot air and catch phrases, lol. He is not the messiah. He is simply the better choice of candidates I see.

Flaws exist in every candidate, but I do believe myself when I say that Hillary Clinton is mired inside of Washington D.C.'s corrupt lobbyist system a heavy, heavy degree, and more than Obama is.[/color]

[quote name='MistressRoxie'][color=#9933ff]XD That makes me laugh. Even if he did like classical, I still wouldn't vote for him.

Besides, if he did, he's probably like Mozart. Ew! ><; [/color][/QUOTE]

Yeah, but what if the Mittster was down with the Digimon? What if he was comitted to passing laws to achieve a national Digimon awareness day?

Obviously, I'm being completely tounge-in-cheek here. :D

[quote name='DeathKnight'][color=crimson]
Barack Obama is inexperienced. Barack Obama has ties to legal law firm lobbyists. He also has offered only a few concrete plans inside of his broader overall message of change and hope. Sometimes listening to him reminds me of some of Dewey's speeches I have studied that were all hot air and catch phrases, lol. He is not the messiah. He is simply the better choice of candidates I see.
[/color][/QUOTE]

[color=indigo]I agree with you. Obama has his faults and I don't agree with quite a bit of what he says. Still, I also find him the to be the best choice out of all the viable candidates.

One thing I could care less about is the "inexperience" factor. I think an overabundance of political experience in America just corrupts, that is why our house and senate always do the lamest things.

Also, does Hillary have that much more experience then he does? If you don't count her time served as First Lady (which she should be glad I don't, her health care plan was a joke and she spent four years trying to cover up and explain her shady property dealings) Hillary only has served senate a short time more than Barack. [/color]

[quote name='DeathKnight'][color=crimson]*shakes head* The more mature option would have been no response instead falling into your human nature so easily. But, eh, maybe you are being serious.
[/color][/QUOTE]

[font="trebuchet ms"] Oh, master, please forgive me for being a mortal human. [/font]

I am going to send in my vote for - and I can't believe I'm actually saying this, but - McCain.

There are going to be problems pulling out of Iraq. If a democrat is in office when we stage the withdrawal, they're just going to get blamed. Hillary's domestic policies are absolute rubbish, and Obama isn't experienced enough to organize a withdrawal of this scale. Romney is just Reagan 2, except instead of being an actor, he's a mormon. I've heard people rant and rave about how good a senator he is, but he's pretty vague when it comes to foreign policy. Huckabee? No. Ron Paul is a bigoted psychopath. I have no idea why the internet loves him so much. McCain, while he mudslings with the best of them, is an ex soldier and POW. I like his plans for domestic and foreign policy (though I would much prefer the more liberal ideas if they were doable), and I think he'd be a good president, at the very least.

Don't get me wrong. If I didn't believe in voting, I wouldn't. The candidates are terrible, and it seems like a question of lesser evils.

But McCain seems like the viable choice for me.

1) McCain 2) Obama 3) Romney 4) Paul 5) Clinton

[quote name='ZeitGeist']And if Mitt Romney declared a love for classical music?

Because he looks like the guy who sells those box sets from Time Life.[/QUOTE]Even if he turned out to be one of the greatest contemporary classical composers of this time, I would still [I]not[/I] vote for him. :p

The guy's an outright liar or rather he has no trouble contradicting the basic foundation or principles of the religion he is a member of. And yet since many members of the Mormon church do what's known as discussing things a mile wide but only an inch deep. They don't catch those contradictions whenever the topic is brought up.

I haven't been a member for just over six years so I don't care about that, what I do care about is the lying just so he'll look more like a viable choice to people who are not Mormon. You either follow your religion or you don't. And yes I know that all of them probably do that, I still find it a bit disgusting. And since further explanations would get off on a religious tangent, I'll leave it at that.