OtakuBoards

Naruto, sandmasters, and kids burying themselves alive. This actually happened.

joshdude89

[url]http://www.king5.com/topstories/stories/NW_031008WAB_boy_buried_LJ.3e86c380.html[/url]
Apparently this kid had his friends bury him in sand so he could be like gaara. Here's the story.

Comments Page: [url]http://blogs.king5.com/archives/2008/03/sorrow-over-chi.html[/url]

As horrible as it is, I blame the parents for not telling their kid not to imitate cartoons.

Also, comments are hilarious.

[FONT="Palatino Linotype"]Oh wow .. uhh ... yeah. That pretty much sucks. The kid really thought he'd be able to control the sand?

I think those other kids were probably just bullying him, but it seems unlikely. Just a case of bad parenting really. Those comments are horrible, yet hilarious ... I'm pretty sure I'm going to hell.[/FONT]

[COLOR=Navy][FONT=Book Antiqua]"It's NarutO, not NarutU." LMAO.
I'm assuming that's what the thread title is referring to. If you accidentally misspelled it... sorry.

[/FONT][/COLOR][QUOTE]There is no way a smart 5th grader would even consider doing something this stupid.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR=Navy][FONT=Book Antiqua]Aha. Ahaha.
AHAHAHA.

But yes, it's a tragic story, and I really shouldn't find it hilarious. But really, it's just the COMMENTS that have me giggling.
[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkOrange][FONT=Century Gothic]Even though this is more a job for the mods i'd just like to say that you misspelled naruto in the thread title. Not to mention how messy the title already is, even with the misspelling.

I don't believe this is the sort of matter where blame needs to be assigned. It's not the parent's fault for not educating their child. It's no one's fault. It was an accident. And the simple fact that you decided to blame the parents is a horrible tragedy in it of itself. There are going to be many people out there looking at this and assigning blame where they judge. If a story like this got enough attention it could even spark a lot of unnecessary debates. Sometimes there's no one to blame, this i feel, is one of those cases.

I also think the news article was shallow and over all quite crappy.

=D
[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='The13thMan'][COLOR=DarkOrange][FONT=Century Gothic]Even though this is more a job for the mods i'd just like to say that you misspelled naruto in the thread title. Not to mention how messy the title already is, even with the misspelling.
[/FONT][/COLOR][/quote]

[COLOR=Navy][FONT=Book Antiqua]I think that was unintentional, because they spelled it wrong in the article and people seemed to care more about the misspelling than the kid dying. But I'll let the thread-starter deal with that one.

I think it was the kid's fault. When I was in 5th grade, I was obsessed with DBZ and used to fight with my friends. I was always Vegeta, of course.
But bury myself in sand? Hmm, I don't think so.

But whether it was his fault, or his parents' fault, or his friends' fault, that doesn't make him any less dead.
[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Gavin][SIZE="1"']Not much really to be said on it, just a tragic case of kids having fun gone badly wrong.[/SIZE][/quote]
[FONT=Arial]Aye, but then again us "Looney Tuners" never tried dropping anvils on our friends heads, or launching them from catapults.

I know they were tryin' to have fun, but abandoning intelligence is just kinda ... well, unintelligent.[/FONT]

This is nothing more than a tragic [I]accident[/I]. I mean we're talking about a ten year old here. No offense to the younger crew, but making logical thought out decisions isn't exactly their strength, which is why they are still considered a minor.

Anyway, seems like the comments are gone:

[INDENT](Update from the editor: We have shut down the comments on this post because of repeated violations of our comment rules.)[/INDENT]

No surprise there really, the people leaving comments, many of them were the truly stupid ones. Not the kid who died.

[quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Arial]Aye, but then again us "Looney Tuners" never tried dropping anvils on our friends heads, or launching them from catapults.

I know they were tryin' to have fun, but abandoning intelligence is just kinda ... well, unintelligent.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

Tragic and all, but.... This.

I'm not buying it. Too much doesn't make any sense. A 5th grader thought he could manipulate sand? I wish I was pyrokinetic. I wouldn't have set myself on fire in 1st grade. They thought he was playing when he started flailing around? That just sounds stupid. Finally, If he was imitating Gaara, could someone direct me to the chapter in which he purposefully buries himself in sand from the waist up? because that sounds an awful lot more like the way he kills people.

I see they set up a memorial fund. I'll be nice and refrain from a "cure for stupid" comment. It depresses me that this happened, but the circumstances depress me more.

(and I'm sorry if I come off as heartless, death can be hard on anyone. I just don't understand how all these things that shouldn't even occur can line up in such a perfect, deadly manner.)

[FONT="Tahoma"][SIZE="1"][COLOR="Navy"]You know, not all young kids have the same vast imaginations as some probably think they do.

I might be wrong and all, but I believe most kids want something that's imaginative to come true with even knowing that it possibly can't. And say what if the parents did teach their child that Naruto wasn't real? It may or may not have made any difference on this outcome.

Either way, I really don't think it's anyone's fault as some have said already. I think it probably wouldn't have mattered if the parents were involved. The child just had a huge imagination, just like a lot of other kids do. He just wanted to see if he could manipulate sand like Gaara as well, not thinking it was fake or not.

Anyway, it's all very sad. I mean, no one can be a sand master like Gaara. Please.

(Okay, sorry... that really wasn't necessary. :( )[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

As most people have already mentioned. It was just an accident. It probably could have been prevented, or maybe it couldn't have. Who knows really? What's done is done and we can't change that.

I'll admit it myself. When I was 10 I always wanted a pet Digimon. I knew it probably would never have happened (and so far it hasn't...) but I still wished. To make the point clear, it doesn't matter which cartoon, or which kid. There will always be some kid out in the world that will want some kind of super power, or other worldly object of obsession. It's just the way humans (especially kids) work.

I find it horrible what happened, and it may spark some new thing about parents telling their children that they don't need to imitate the stuff that happens on tv. Maybe the FCC may make it to where, like WWE, cartoons/anime will have the "Do not attempt to repeat the stunts performed on this show... etc."

Either way, no one is to blame as of the moment. In the future, after people become more and more cautious, and more and more warnings develope, (WARNING: Do not put penis to chainsaw. ... Well, it was something along those lines.) then people will be able to blame someone. I think as of now, no one would have guessed that some kids would have tried to imitate Gaara in some form or fashion. As for the future, we'll just have to wait and see.

[quote name='Rachmaninoff']No offense to the younger crew, but making logical thought out decisions isn't exactly their strength....[/quote]
[FONT=Arial]Yes, I'm aware of that. I was a kid once, too. I tried to dig my way to China from my backyard when I was nine, ignoring both that there would be several thousand miles of hot molten rock in my way, and that I was using a dinner spoon.

I also pretended I was a Power Ranger, fighting off hordes of those grey-suited bad guys that disintegrated when you hit the circle on their chest. (Anyone else remember those things?<_<) But when I and my friends shouted "It's Morphin' Time!", not one of us expected to get magically covered in Ranger armor, or to be able to summon zoids. And when we did those bits where we got knocked back really far, we always ran backwards, and looked to make sure we weren't landing on a stump or a pile of dog poo.

Did we make logical, thought out decisions? Good Lord, no. We made spur-of-the-moment "hey, this'll be [I]cool[/I]!!" decisions.

But that doesn't mean we tried to run all the way up a tree. We knew about falling down. Landing flat on your back and head hurts. Pain is bad.

I'm not even sure we would have got our heads anywhere hear being buried, either. The sand in the eyes and ears would probably have made us change our minds in about two seconds. =P

That's why I said there was stupidity involved. I'm not calling the kid an idiot for trying to be like Gaara. That's natural. I'm giving him grief because he didn't go "this ain't so hot" until it was far too late. He didn't deserve to die, but, as cruel as it sounds, his death was his own fault.[/FONT]

[quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Arial]That's why I said there was stupidity involved. I'm not calling the kid an idiot for trying to be like Gaara. That's natural. I'm giving him grief because he didn't go "this ain't so hot" until it was far too late. He didn't deserve to die, but, as cruel as it sounds, his death was his own fault.[/FONT][/QUOTE]No. For those of you who do not have children... No. Don't try to compare it based on your own experience or thought process either. That is inherently flawed and part of the reason why children at that age are considered minors and unable to make decisions. No two kids think a like. I've have three, I've seen this in action. It was an accident, make no mistake about it. A tragic accident and in no way the child's fault.

That is the very meaning of the word accident:

An undesirable or unfortunate happening that occurs unintentionally and usually results in harm, injury, damage, or loss; casualty; mishap.

Any event that happens unexpectedly, without a deliberate plan or cause.

Don't forget that, [I]ever[/I]. This is going to be hard enough on his parents without total strangers being insensitive and cruel by attempting to find a spot to place blame. Sometimes, there just isn't any.

Wow, this is just sad as much as it is stupid. Of all the ways for a kid to die, to die from just playing is the most tragic.

Although, I would assume that even 10 year olds would know not to bury themselves in sand. I mean, I was a big comic book reader when I was a little kid, but you didn't see me jumping off of rooftops!

There has to be more to the story than is being told. I KNOW 10 year olds are smarter than this.

[COLOR="Indigo"]Sad really and in my opinion, being smart or not smart enough to know better probably doesn't really play into this. Yes most adolescents understand the concept that death is permanent, universal, and inevitable. However, a predominant theme in adolescence is feelings of immortality or being exempt from death.

I imagine it never crossed their minds that someone[I] really could die[/I]. At least not for something like this. Yes it was stupid, but that's part and parcel of being a kid, you do stupid things. Only most of the time they don't end with someone dying as a result.[/COLOR]

[quote name='Aaryanna_Mom']No. For those of you who do not have children... No. Don't try to compare it based on your own experience or thought process either. That is inherently flawed and part of the reason why children at that age are considered minors and unable to make decisions. No two kids think a like. I've have three, I've seen this in action. It was an accident, make no mistake about it. A tragic accident and in no way the child's fault.

That is the very meaning of the word accident:

An undesirable or unfortunate happening that occurs unintentionally and usually results in harm, injury, damage, or loss; casualty; mishap.

Any event that happens unexpectedly, without a deliberate plan or cause.

Don't forget that, [I]ever[/I]. This is going to be hard enough on his parents without total strangers being insensitive and cruel by attempting to find a spot to place blame. Sometimes, there just isn't any.[/QUOTE]I can see where you are coming from, after all as a parent yourself, I'm sure the very idea of losing a child is horrifying. But for the rest of us... even if there was no intent, there is a cause. It's not so much an issue of placing blame as it is understanding what lead to it happening in the first place.

I feel bad for the other kids. I only hope someone helps them get over that since no kid needs to live with the fact or knowledge that a stupid decision resulted in killing their friend. I'm sure you can imagine how more than any words by a stranger, they'll blame themselves. I mean, I wouldn't want to be the kid who actually helped bury him in that sandbox. That's a horrible burden for anyone one. In the end, I don't think anyone is trying to be cruel or insensitive, but rather that they find it a little hard to understand how things got so out of hand.

I think it's an accident, and yet at the same time it's going to be important for the kids to realize how crucial it is to think on one's decisions before following through with them. That you can't just imitate something like that. What makes me the saddest about this whole affair is that this lesson is going to be so painful for them.

[COLOR=Navy][FONT=Book Antiqua]I'm quite an insensitive person. And laughing at this is just another instance of that. So don't take that too seriously.

I think it's already been established that this is tragic. Yes, we all know that.

And like I said before, whether it was his fault, or his parents', or his friends', or no one's at all... he's still dead.
So there's no point in debating that.
Fact is, if his parents had explained reality better to him, or if his friends hadn't helped him, any of these things could've prevented his death. But these things simply [I]did not happen.[/I]
Besides that, we don't know that his parents hadn't explained reality to him, quite well even.
It's possible he just went along and did it anyway.

Okay, yeah. I guess that's all I had to say.
[/FONT][/COLOR]