OtakuBoards

Ethical Styles Quiz - Silliness Expected!

Sabrina

[FONT="Tahoma"]I found this quiz online about two Ethical styles as it were, I?m sure it?s not really accurate but it still seems like a fun quiz to take and then share your results. Followed by whether or not you think it actually fits you. [URL="http://www.lmu.edu/Page23849.aspx"][U]Quiz[/U][/URL]

I just finished and got this score:

Care Score: 8
Justice Score: 1

o_O Now if you believe this at all, that means I favor or lean more toward the style of Ethic of Care, which is described after your results on the next page. Basically mine is suppose to mean this:

[INDENT]An "ethic of care or responsibility" is founded on a sense of responsibility to reduce actual harm or suffering. For these people, moral dilemmas generally involve a conflict of duties or responsibilities. People with this orientation believe that the focal point of every ethical dilemma is the specific individuals involved and the particular circumstances of the case. [/INDENT]

>_> I think that fits since I do tend to look at things on a case by case basis, but it seems off because I also believe in justice too. Though imagine the impersonal abstract nature of that style is probably what puts me the furthest away from it.

Anyway, go and take it! It?s fun. And then tell us what you got and what you think, even if you think it?s just silly. And yes I think it is too. It was still fun to take though, just for laughs. :catgirl:[/FONT]

[B]Care Score: 4
Justice Score: 5[/B]

I'd say that's about right. I like to see the other side side, but I can't just abandon the law to do it unless I really think that's the way to go. It's interesting how that site refers to the Care style as being more likely among women though. >_> I'll have to follow some of the other links just to see what it says on that.

[B]Care: 6
Justice: 3[/B]

What can I say really? I'd say it fits me well enough. I believe in rules and laws and do my best to obey them, but I also see where there are times when they casue more harm then good and should be over looked for the greater good. Weather that's wrong or not is up to interpretation.

[COLOR="Indigo"][B]Care Score: 2
Justice Score: 7[/B]

Hmmm, no surprise there. Not that I don't care but rather I am well acquainted with working in a system where caring doesn't equate to ignoring the rules in order to do so. Like that site says abut the style:
[INDENT][SIZE="1"]An "ethic of justice or rights" is based on abstract, impersonal principles, like justice, fairness, equality or authority. People who prefer this style see ethical dilemmas as involving primarily a conflict of rights that can be solved by the impartial application of some general principle. The statue "Justice Blindfolded" captures this approach very well. People with this style tend to place a good deal of weight on moral principles, laws or policies, which they believe should be applied to all equally. They usually do not like making exceptions based on special circumstances, and they worry about "setting precedents."[/SIZE][/INDENT]
In many ways, that's the only way you can function doing what I do. Thinking about stepping out of that box is a dangerous place to go because legally, you often can't do that. No matter how much you might want to. Sadly. [/COLOR]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=2]Care Score:[/SIZE][/FONT] [B][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=2] 2[/SIZE][/FONT][/B] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=2]Justice Score:[/SIZE][/FONT] [B][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=2] 7[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[COLOR=Navy][FONT=Book Antiqua]I saw that coming. :]
I tend to think that while kindess does not equal weakness, if you're too emotional you can't make important decisions without some bias, and if you're just [I]too[/I] kind, others will take it for weakness.
I can see where one of the two Care points came from. The last question. I answered it with "whether anyone" actually gets hurt, but I tend to think it's pretty subjective on what your moral principles are, if they even exist. :p

But yeah, good quiz. Didn't tell me anything I didn't already know, but at least it works, somewhat.
[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Starwind']What can I say really? I'd say it fits me well enough. I believe in rules and laws and do my best to obey them, but I also see where there are times when they casue more harm then good and should be over looked for the greater good. Weather that's wrong or not is up to interpretation.[/QUOTE]

Here's my interpretation: Laws and governments are in place to protect the people subject to them from being hurt. If a law or policy stops functioning in such a way altogether, the it serves no purpose and should be eliminated. Justice-minded as I apparently am, if anyone gave me an order that I think is corrupt, I would not follow it, because it would hurt others with little or no justification. I hate dictatorships and any other form of government that looks out for number 1 instead of protecting its people like a government should. Governments are there to help people, not exploit them.

In short, my style of justice only follows the rules if the rules benefit humanity. I'd have been shot down for mutiny in World War II if Hitler ever told me to kill a Jew for being a Jew.

[SIZE="1"][B]Care Score: 6
Justice Score: 3 [/B]

Sounds right, even though I support justice, I'm not the type who'd be comfortable with people being hurt, simply because a rule, or a law allows it. For me, I think questions 3 and 6 really summed up the quiz.[/SIZE]

[QUOTE][SIZE="1"][B]Ethic of care [/B]

An "ethic of care or responsibility" is founded on a sense of responsibility to reduce actual harm or suffering. For these people, moral dilemmas generally involve a conflict of duties or responsibilities. People with this orientation believe that the focal point of every ethical dilemma is the specific individuals involved and the particular circumstances of the case. Solutions, then, must be tailored to the special details of individual circumstances. Notions of equity, or what is appropriate or "fitting," tend to be favored by this approach. Making exceptions does not phase these people, and they tend to feel constrained by policies that are supposed to be enforced without exception.

The advantage of this approach is that it is responsive to immediate suffering and harm. This approach is flexible, caring and subjective--appropriately so. It can respond quickly to changing circumstances and is not preoccupied with the idea of setting precedents. The bad news, however, is that by focusing so much on circumstances, people with this orientation can lose sight of the forest for the trees. Their reliance on subjective, "gut" response can limit their appreciation of other factors. When carried to an extreme, this style can produce decisions that seem not simply subjective, but arbitrary.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Indigo"][quote name='Gavin'][SIZE="1"] For me, I think questions 3 and 6 really summed up the quiz.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]Three and six are where I got my two Care points from. I do find it funny that the quiz describes the Justice style as being more common of men than women. Maybe later I'll follow the link for more info on that since I'm sure it would be an interesting read.

What I liked best about this quiz as it were, was the lack of annoying popus and advertising and [I]take this stupid survey [/I]just to get your results nonsense. I have no patience for that kind of thing online. Heh.[/COLOR]

[FONT="Tahoma"][quote name='Aceburner']8-1 in favor of Justice.

I suppose that fits. I care about people, but I'm a firm believer in atonement. I can't stand to see people hurting each other in any way without just cause, even if my friends are the culprits.[/QUOTE]Wow. We're exactly opposite. Hehe. [quote name='Aceburner;808882]In short, my style of justice only follows the rules if the rules benefit humanity. I'd have been shot down for mutiny in World War II if Hitler ever told me to kill a Jew for being a Jew.[/QUOTE]I so agree. :catgirl: I'd be the same, or at least I think I would. It's hard to know until you're actually faced with it. But I know that I can't imagine actually killing someone over something like that. [quote name='indifference'][COLOR="Indigo"]What I liked best about this quiz as it were, was the lack of annoying popus and advertising and [I]take this stupid survey [/I']just to get your results nonsense. I have no patience for that kind of thing online. Heh.[/COLOR][/quote]No danger there. >_> Sites that start demanding surveys and questionnaires to be filled out all over something simple like that quiz... I never finish, I back out the moment I hit anything like that. It's just not worth my time to do something like that since often the silly nonsense they want take four or five times longer than the silly quiz does. Death to popups![/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]Care Score:[/FONT] [B][FONT=Verdana]5[/FONT][/B]
[FONT=Verdana]Justice Score:[/FONT] [B][FONT=Verdana]4[/FONT][/B]

[FONT=Verdana]I guess I?m also mix in between, which fits me perfectly I think. What?s interesting is that I was doing something similar to this in my Ethics class yesterday where we were given three different events, and we had to write down whether or not each event was morally justifiable. When I wrote down my answers, I realized that I was contradicting myself depending on what the situation was. So I guess when it all comes down, it really depends on what kind of situation we are in.[/FONT]

[COLOR="DarkGreen"][FONT="Book Antiqua"]Care Score: [B] 5[/B]
Justice Score: [B]4[/B]

Considering the descriptions... I'd say that fits me. :catgirl: I prefer to be caring and yet at the same time I so agree with this part of the Justice side of it: [U]People with this style tend to place a good deal of weight on moral principles, laws or policies, which they believe[B] should be applied to all equally[/B].[/U]

I really hate favoritism when dealing with situations where a decision has to be made, everyone should be treated equally when it comes to law, etc. Though I know that's not necessarily practical, but still, one can at least try, right?[/FONT][/COLOR]

Those type of quizzes are always kind of fun. I am not surprised by my results.

[B]Care Score: 6
Justice Score: 3[/B]

That really does fit my line of thinking, whether or not the quiz is accurate or not. Still, for something so simple, the descriptions do fit and I definitely lean more towards the other style as described.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=2]Care Score:[/SIZE][/FONT] [B][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=2] 6[/SIZE][/FONT][/B] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=2]Justice Score:[/SIZE][/FONT] [B][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=2] 3[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[SIZE=1]I'm not completely surprised by my results either, though I wasn't really expecting them to be quite that skewed. I believe that some situations absolutely demand breaking rules, even without going as severe as the Hitler/Jews example. The simple matter of defending yourself in most schools in against the rules and will get you in trouble for fighting, but it's definitely the better choice.[/SIZE]

[COLOR="SeaGreen"]Care: 3
Justice: 6
apparently, unlike most ppl i somehow got a higher score on justice than care...0.0""
i guess im quite sensitive in terms of morality...like how i'm so fussy about ppl smoking nn stuff...
i think when ppl make a mistake too severe [in my opinion] they should be punished for it. if personally i go too far with my feelings i think i'll do stupid things...like wham my head into the wall when i asian-fail a math test...so im careful to put many restrictions on myself.
[/COLOR]

[quote name='indifference'][COLOR="Indigo"]I do find it funny that the quiz describes the Justice style as being more common of men than women[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]Heh, yeah, I did a bit of a double-take when I read that myself. I'm sort of tempted to go back and retake the quiz again with that in mind to see if it'll change my answers more towards the "Justice" side of things, for the sake of masculinity. ^_^;[/SIZE]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]Care Score: [B]3[/B]
Justice Score: [B]6[/B]

I think I was expecting that. I do care, but that's not enough to sway me from following a path of justice. And like Aceburner said that also means a justice system that is fair and not corrupt itself, or at the very least is set up in a manner that makes an effort to be fair. Anyway, that was fun short little quiz.[/FONT][/COLOR]