OtakuBoards

Can Anyone Suggest any Good Hardcore?

Aberinkula

[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"][SIZE="1"]Well, because of Norma Jean, I've decided that it's time to get into Harcore music again. By hardcore I mean stuff usually withthe suffix -core at the end, usually Metalcore, Grindcore, stuff like that.

I already listen to some artists. Norma Jean, Cattle Decapatation (which I believe might actually be Deathgrind...) early Avenged Sevenfold (the era of Waking the Fallen) and stuff like Underoath.

Anyways, anyone ahve any good suggestions for some good harcore bands?

Bands I'm interested in: Circle Takes the Square, The Fall of Troy, The Number 12 Looks like You, All That Remains and The Acacia Strain.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[color=darkred][size=1]

I'd keep on with [b]All That Remains[/b] if I were you, because they are by far my favorite 'hardcore/metalcore" band.

There's also [b]Killswitch Engage[/b] (whom the singer of ATR actually auditioned for) and [b]Shadows Fall[/b] (whome the singer of ATR used to be the singer for). I'm more of a Hip Hop fan, though, so those three are the only ones I'm really knolwedgeable of. Then there's [b]Arch Enemy[/b] who's singer is a female, rare in the genre, and really brutal, haha. You might like them.

I've also been told to check out [b]Death Before Dishonor[/b] and [b]Have Heart[/b] for Hardcore Punk by a friend, though I've yet to check them out.[/color][/size]

I think the [B]fastest kid in 5th grade[/B] is some core or another...but they are really good. They have a really good singer. He can do his screams n stuff and that makes you wanna rage but then he can also do this soft voice that....I have never really heard before. It's really quite beautiful when he does it. They aren't signed as of yet and I think the best way to get some songs would be to talk to Goodbye Face. They used to have a bunch of songs on their myspace but their gone from there now.

Oh yea and pick up Slayers undisputed attitude. It has a lot of the hardcore punk sound in it along with it's good ole thrash metal.

[COLOR="HotPink"]Haha I like how you use deathgrind (Deathcore is the same thing.) Well. If you want help with general hardcore stuff. Well. The Number 12 Looks Like You and Circle Takes the Square are big yesses. But it just matters what you're into.

Try Gospel too. They have progressive elements mixed in with hardcore to make a very artsy sound. It's very nice, and relaxing in a strange way.

Also. Try Winds of Plague. They have the '**** YEAH" metalcore and I mean the manly kind, like... yeaaaahhh... breakdowns, with deathmetal and grind elements.

Also. Try Bring Me The Horizon and Embrace the End. Both are similiar.

Well. Actually I'll just make a small list. lol.

Strike the Choir
The Ocean
The Jonbenet
HeavyHeavyLowLow
Enter Shikari
The Devil Wears Prada.

All great bands. Go. Listen now.[/COLOR]

Ick at most of these bands. They are not hardcore.

Hardcore is essentially punk with the heavyness of metal, and little more street attitude. Try the Gorilla Biscuits, Minor Threat, Youth of Today, Agnostic Front...that kind of stuff.

You want a more modern idea of hardcore? Try Refused, Jesus Wept, Kids Like Us, Comeback Kid, No Innocent Victim, Madball and that kind of stuff.

You want experimental hardcore? Try Botch, These Arms Are Snakes, the Bled, some Converge, etc.

As for all the something-cores of the world...

Most of those bands have little value. All That Remains may as well be called pop metal, and 'deathcore' is mostly just watered down death metal.

Now as for grindcore, you should definitely look into old Napalm Death and Carcass. Though, older Carcass has quite a bit of death metal even in their earlier stuff(thus creating the original idea of deathgrind, totally seperate from the modern sound of deathcore) it's still got the break-neck speed and chaos of old grind and crust punk.

[FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DimGray"]Well I'm not really into any of the core bands (though Avenged Sevenfold is pretty dec') but I do love my metal. It sounds like you've already listened to a lot of core music and are looking for more so I thought I would suggest some stuff [i]like[/i] core but a little heavier.

First and foremost, Metallica. You hear the name all the time (you might have even listened to them already) but they're a great band. Black Album, Kill 'em All (hit the lights is <3) are mind blowing and if you like orchestrated music listen to S&M (Symphony and Metallica) after you've listened to just Metallica for a while.

Other great bands you should check out would be Iron Maiden (which isn't really Metal but it's still very heavy and hardcore in its own way, love them to death) and Megadeth. If those aren't your style (too heavy perhaps) then check out Van Halen.

If you want some really epic and intense **** check out (at your own risk) Children of Bodom (specifically Needled 24/7), Ensiferum (viking metal) or Turisas (they do an amazing cover of Rasputin, I'll YouTube it).[/COLOR][/FONT]

[CENTER][YOUTUBE="Turisas - Rasputin"]Y150Lm4kZ_M[/YOUTUBE][/CENTER]

[FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DimGray"]I know you were looking for more core music but it looks like you've already got a lot of suggestions so at least now you have some variety. ^o^[/COLOR][/FONT]

[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"][SIZE="1"]Thanks guys for the info. BTW 8Bit, I'm a Metallica kid, I grew up on that stuff while my brother was around. Same with Megadeth and Iron Maiden, but no so much of the latter.

And as for Ashes, I have some Converge on a site, and in school I usually listen to that, so I'll check them out even more, same with the others you listed.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='AshesofKamikaze']Ick at most of these bands. They are not hardcore.

Hardcore is essentially punk with the heavyness of metal, and little more street attitude. Try the Gorilla Biscuits, Minor Threat, Youth of Today, Agnostic Front...that kind of stuff.

You want a more modern idea of hardcore? Try Refused, Jesus Wept, Kids Like Us, Comeback Kid, No Innocent Victim, Madball and that kind of stuff.

You want experimental hardcore? Try Botch, These Arms Are Snakes, the Bled, some Converge, etc.

As for all the something-cores of the world...

Most of those bands have little value. All That Remains may as well be called pop metal, and 'deathcore' is mostly just watered down death metal.

Now as for grindcore, you should definitely look into old Napalm Death and Carcass. Though, older Carcass has quite a bit of death metal even in their earlier stuff(thus creating the original idea of deathgrind, totally seperate from the modern sound of deathcore) it's still got the break-neck speed and chaos of old grind and crust punk.[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="HotPink"]I find the bands to have much value.

Converge is a big yes. Botch as well. These my friend, are the basics of mathcore. So, you should definitely check them out. These Arms are Snakes are okay.

And hardcore is essentially punk with faster tempos, straight-to-the point songs, and non-mellow vocals.

and praises to 8Bit for saying something about Children of Bodom, Iron Maiden and Ensiferum. :] I grew up on Children of Bodom and of course, Kill 'Em All. Not so enthusiastic about any of Metallica's other albums (besides the Black Album).

I got into Iron Maiden last year (a little late?) and they're the most metal band you listed. Children of Bodom is basically just a core band, while some may argue... They use chugga, and all the metalcore essentials (which really isn't a bad thing.). But anyway, yeah Iron Maiden is definitely metal, or what metal used to be before it became such a big fad.

All That Remains is one of the better core bands. But I don't listen to them that much, but you really should check them out. As I Lay Dying as well, if you just want something to headbang to.

If you want some real hardcore, like what Ashes was talking about. Try Minor Threat, Jerry's Kids, Die Kreuzen, Black Flag, Bad Brains, SSD, and my personal favorite of the screamo genre, pg.99.

Also. Try Saetia. Their songs are sad, but have alot of hardcore parts. You may not like the vocals, though. I do. But that's just me... lol.

p.s- deathcore is faster than death metal. It's deathmetal mixed with grind, and metalcore breakdowns...

If you want regular death metal, Prem. I recommend Amon Amarth, or Opeth. [/COLOR][/SIZE]

• 4 weeks later...
Try things like Children of Bodom like some other people are saying or definately look into Nile. I really love the beats and guitar, and they got wicked voices. Slipknot has a couple good songs that are [I]trying [/I]to be heavy, though it seems most people suddenly and unexpectly hate 'em.

[color=royalblue][size=1]

If you're looking for Death Metal/Deathcore (my favorite metal genres), then I suggest...

[b]Through The Eyes of the Dead
Born of Osiris
My Black Dahlia Murder
Bury Your Dead
With Dead Hands Rising
WhiteChapel
Job for a Cowboy
Tales of the Black Freighter[/b] (relatively new and underground, look on MySpace)[b]
Despised Icon[/b]
(some) [b]Maximum The Hormone[/b]

I prefer breakdown-oriented and technical deathcore/death metal, and that's mostly what these bands offer. Progressive, fast playing, deep vocals, blast-beat drums, technical riffs, palm-mutes, heavy distortion in some cases, and general awesome, especially if you like to throwdown. There are more bands, but those are just some of my favorites, and the ones that I currently listen to.[/color][/size]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]If you like your hardcore a little more foriegn, I'd suggest [B]Rammstein[/B]. I dunno how hardcore you can call them, but it's harder than some bands that are out there. I love the song from XXX [I]Feuer Frei[/I]. Give that one a listen and I'll think you'll enjoy it as much as I do :D[/FONT]

[quote name='Whoa, Mann'][COLOR="HotPink"]Haha I like how you use [b]deathgrind (Deathcore is the same thing.)[/b] Well.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]
[size=1]OMG FALSE.

Deathgrind and Deathcore aren't the same at all!
While Deathcore heavily relies on influences from hardcore/metalcore, deathgrind doesn't have ANY "-core" influences at all. They're a thrashier side to Death Metal, in other words.

But yeah, it all depends on what kind of hardcore you're looking for. If you're lookin for Deathcore, I'm a BIG fan and know of (and know personally) a lot bands. I guess here's a list of what I've been listening to lately:

Animosity
[b]Architects[/b]
At The Throne Of Judgment
[b]August Burns Red[/b]
Between The Buried And Me
[b]Born Of Osiris
Bring Me The Horizon[/b]
Despised Icon
[b]The Devil Wears Prada
Elysia
Emmure
For The Fallen Dreams[/b]
From The Shallows
Glass Casket
HeavyHeavyLowLow
The Human Abstract
Into The Moat
Ion Dissonance
Johnny Truant
Job For A Cowboy (Before they came out with their full-length Genesis)
[b]Knights Of The Abyss[/b]
[b]Parkway Drive[/b]
Protest The Hero
[b]Suicide Silence[/b]
Underneath The Gun
[b]War From A Harlots Mouth
Whitechapel
Winds Of Plague[/b]

Take a listen to the bands in bold, they're all fantastic.
If anything, just listen to Knights Of The Abyss, Elysia, Whitechapel, All Shall Perish, and Bring Me The Horizon.

As for pure Hardcore, I wouldn't really be able to suggest any bands. Like I said, I'm much more into the Deathcore genre.[/size]

[quote name='boothten'][size=1]OMG FALSE.

Deathgrind and Deathcore aren't the same at all!
While Deathcore heavily relies on influences from hardcore/metalcore, deathgrind doesn't have ANY "-core" influences at all. They're a thrashier side to Death Metal, in other words.

But yeah, it all depends on what kind of hardcore you're looking for. If you're lookin for Deathcore, I'm a BIG fan and know of (and know personally) a lot bands. I guess here's a list of what I've been listening to lately:

Animosity
[b]Architects[/b]
At The Throne Of Judgment
[b]August Burns Red[/b]
Between The Buried And Me
[b]Born Of Osiris
Bring Me The Horizon[/b]
Despised Icon
[b]The Devil Wears Prada
Elysia
Emmure
For The Fallen Dreams[/b]
From The Shallows
Glass Casket
HeavyHeavyLowLow
The Human Abstract
Into The Moat
Ion Dissonance
Johnny Truant
Job For A Cowboy (Before they came out with their full-length Genesis)
[b]Knights Of The Abyss[/b]
[b]Parkway Drive[/b]
Protest The Hero
[b]Suicide Silence[/b]
Underneath The Gun
[b]War From A Harlots Mouth
Whitechapel
Winds Of Plague[/b]

Take a listen to the bands in bold, they're all fantastic.
If anything, just listen to Knights Of The Abyss, Elysia, Whitechapel, All Shall Perish, and Bring Me The Horizon.

As for pure Hardcore, I wouldn't really be able to suggest any bands. Like I said, I'm much more into the Deathcore genre.[/size][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="HotPink"]Ah I guess. You have a nice list there, that I think I can agree with very much, except for the fact that I hate Job for a Cowboy. The other day I heard Emmure, and was slightly blown away. I'm a big fan of Bring Me the Horizon. Those guys are definitely one of my favorites.

If you're into deathcore, definitely check out [B]Embrace the End[/B]. That band is one of the best I've heard.
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

• 3 weeks later...
Boothten is only slightly more on target about the differences between deathgrind and deathcore than you are Whoa, Mann.

...Actually, no. Just wrong in a different way.

Ah, hell with it, let me try to expound without sounding like a jerk:

Deathgrind is much older than deathcore. It goes back to early Carcass and mid-early Napalm Death. But to say it has no 'core' influence is just as wrong as saying it's the same thing as deathcore.

The 'death' in deathgrind comes, obviously, from death metal. The 'grind' would come from grindcore. Grind[i]core[/i], mind you. Grindcore evolved from crust punk, which evolved from hardcore punk. Hard[i]core[/i] punk, that is.

The earliest appearance of the label 'deathcore' came with the formation of Six Feet Under. It was coined by their frontman Chris Barnes (former frontman of Cannibal Corpse) to evoke the idea of death metal being mixed with hardcore punk.

However, nowadays the term 'deathcore' evokes a very different image. It is essentially the combination of brutal/technical death metal and early 2000s metalcore.

But I'll give you this credit, WM--a lot of modern deathcore bands blur the line by bringing in some grind[i]y[/i] elements. But I doubt most of those bands really take much influence from grindcore. I know most of their fans have no love for it when they hear it.

As far as "regular" death metal (as though there aren't a million sub-sub-subgenres that any given band can fit into), Amon Amarth and Opeth don't really qualify too well.

Amon Amarth is, for the most part melodic death metal. Albeit is a very different, heavier form than standard MDM fare, it is still MDM all the same. Opeth is progressive death metal, on most records. [i]Damnation[/i] hardly qualifies as extreme metal at all, though it is good.

"Regular" death metal? Morbid Angel, Deicide, Death, Suffocation, Cannibal Corpse, etc.

However, I second DK's motion that we all shut up and bow before the might of Pig Destroyer.

-Justin

**EDIT: While I'm at it, what do you guys think of With Blood Comes Cleansing? I came up in the scene with those guys, and I'd like to know what people's reaction is to them outside of the East Alabama/West Georgia area.

[quote name='Justin']Boothten is only slightly more on target about the differences between deathgrind and deathcore than you are Whoa, Mann.

...Actually, no. Just wrong in a different way.

Ah, hell with it, let me try to expound without sounding like a jerk:

Deathgrind is much older than deathcore. It goes back to early Carcass and mid-early Napalm Death. But to say it has no 'core' influence is just as wrong as saying it's the same thing as deathcore.

The 'death' in deathgrind comes, obviously, from death metal. The 'grind' would come from grindcore. Grind[i]core[/i], mind you. Grindcore evolved from crust punk, which evolved from hardcore punk. Hard[i]core[/i] punk, that is.

The earliest appearance of the label 'deathcore' came with the formation of Six Feet Under. It was coined by their frontman Chris Barnes (former frontman of Cannibal Corpse) to evoke the idea of death metal being mixed with hardcore punk.

However, nowadays the term 'deathcore' evokes a very different image. It is essentially the combination of brutal/technical death metal and early 2000s metalcore.

But I'll give you this credit, WM--a lot of modern deathcore bands blur the line by bringing in some grind[i]y[/i] elements. But I doubt most of those bands really take much influence from grindcore. I know most of their fans have no love for it when they hear it.

As far as "regular" death metal (as though there aren't a million sub-sub-subgenres that any given band can fit into), Amon Amarth and Opeth don't really qualify too well.

Amon Amarth is, for the most part melodic death metal. Albeit is a very different, heavier form than standard MDM fare, it is still MDM all the same. Opeth is progressive death metal, on most records. [i]Damnation[/i] hardly qualifies as extreme metal at all, though it is good.

"Regular" death metal? Morbid Angel, Deicide, Death, Suffocation, Cannibal Corpse, etc.

However, I second DK's motion that we all shut up and bow before the might of Pig Destroyer.

-Justin

**EDIT: While I'm at it, what do you guys think of With Blood Comes Cleansing? I came up in the scene with those guys, and I'd like to know what people's reaction is to them outside of the East Alabama/West Georgia area.[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="HotPink"]I dare to disagree, that deathcore bands take a lot from grindcore. The pig squeals and fast paced grinding of the double bass and guitar didn't come from just anywhere, I say. With Blood Comes Cleansing.. I havn't heard much of them, because everyone tells me to listen to them. In between commenting on each other's tight jeans, and flipping their hair, that is. This would come off as a major turn off, to see such fans of a band, that I assume that they're mediocre. But, I'll give them a few more tries, since you mentioned.

Also, I'd like to mention [B]See You Next Tuesday[/B], though you'd do better just listening to The Number 12 Looks Like You, since SYNT sounds very familiar, almost too much like #12s "Put On Your Rosey Red Glasses".

And on the subject of [B]Pig Destroyer[/B].[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE="4"]Amazing[/SIZE].

[color=royalblue][size=1]

Ho, ho, ho, have I got a treat for you. One of my new favorite bands (ever), [b]Winds of Plague[/b]. They are a very, very awesome Deathcore band. I suggest you check out the songs, my favorites, [b]"Decimate the Weak"[/b] and [b]"Reloaded"[/b]. If they don't make you want to punch people in the face, then I don't know what will.

My current top three are:
[b]
Born of Osiris
Winds of Plague
Job For A Cowboy[/b]
[/color][/size]

[size=1][b]@ Justin[/b]: omg, I'm a bigger fan of the newest cd With Blood Comes Cleansing just came out with. "Horror" I think it's called? I dunno haha. MUCH better then "Golgotha," the new sound sound's much more [i]finished[/i], if that makes any sense. "Golgotha" sounded like it was made to fast and sound like a work in progress hah.

[b]@ Woah, Mann[/b]: See You Next Tuesday doesn't sound like The Number Twelve at all? Haha, SYNT has way more trash/-core influence, A LOT more then The Number Twelve.

[b]@ Aberinkula[/b]: OMFG, I agree with you 100% on your comment about All Shall Perish. YES. And I haven't taken a listen to Heaven Shall Burn, but to be honest their name kind of ruins it for me so I don't think I'll be taking a listen hah.

[b]@ Zen[/b]: And ZOMFG to Winds Of Plague. I like you more now, hahah. "Decimate The Weak," "Origins And Endings," "Angels Of Debauchery," and "Reloaded" are BY FAR their best and my favorites. They have INSANE stage presence, it's incredible.

And Born Of Osiris is reallyyyyyy good too. "Abstract Art" and "Brace Legs" are insane, the final sequence of growls in "Brace Legs" is brutalll. Haha, its <3.[/size]

I personally wouldn't recommend WBCC to anyone, but I'm also a purist. [i]Horror[/i] basically sounds like the guys took every trend that's existed for the last two years and thrown them all into every song; and poorly, at that. I was very disappointed that Jeremy didn't put together something much better, given his incredible taste in music.

SYNT is pretty good, for modern deathgrind. I'm a bigger fan of Number 12 as well, though. Once again, I'm a purist. And modern deathgrind isn't pure for the most part. Number 12 just plain transcends my puristic sensibilities, as well as sub-genres.

This thread has gone quite far from hardcore, hasn't it?

Here's something I discovered a while back and fell in love with: Stigma. And by that, I mean Vinny Stigma's--of Agnostic Front fame--solo project. The song 'New York Blood' is incredible.

Also, look into Blood For Blood. They've been around for quite some time, but never really gotten much recognition. Cursed, is another one, if you're lucky enough to be able to track down any of their best work.

-Justin

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="HotPink"]"One Body Too Many", "Decimate the Weak" and "Angels of Debauchery" are my favorites. I like the demo of Angels alot better than the newer version though, but its still pretty sweet. I like the studio stuff alot too, because they added synth to their sound.. I was waiting for this album a while, after I heard a demo on a Century Sampler.

Huh... well I guess this song I have called "Here, Take This Pill" must be by a different band... It sounds just like The Number 12, only... crappy. Honestly, there isn't one band that can take down The Number 12 Looks Like You, when it comes to the odd time signatures, dual guitars, and high pitched screaming. The only band that would have a chance would be Dillinger Escape Plan, but they don't have a lick of deathcore in them, so there really isn't any competition for The Number 12. But that's just my opinion.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

• 2 weeks later...