OtakuBoards

News Reading Habits

Rachmaninoff

I'm sure I'm not the only one who follows a pattern to checking out and reading news. I usually start with the major headlines and then work my way into the more local reports and then finally I'll more to what is often my favorite part. Weird news. I just love seeing all the absurd things that people do like this article here:

[URL="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24949337/"][U]Prankster hurt in 'mooning' gone wrong[/U][/URL]

I also tend to wrap thing up by checking out any comics that are posted in my local newspaper since ending with a laugh is what I like best. I don't really have a favorite site or paper that I check.

Anyway, what kind of habits do the rest of you have for checking out the news? Do you favor traditional printed newspapers, online sites or watching it live? Or perhaps a combination of all three? I rarely watch it on TV since I can just go to the website for the TV station here and stream the videos and watch it at my convenience. I tend to read the actual paper and online sites the most.

[font=Arial]The New York Times is my homepage, so I see the headlines even if I'm intending to surf other things. Generally, I'll read the front page stories, and then I go to the US Politics section and devour that (especially because this is an exciting election). They also have these really awesome slideshows that accompany articles... the photographers for NYT are exceptional.

Sometimes if I'm extremely bored, I'll go read articles on BBC online. Generally I do this to get a balanced perspective on domestic politics... sometimes we get so wrapped up in things here, we fail to take a step back and observe it more objectively. So if I feel a story has become convoluted or skewed, I check it against its BBC counterpart.

Wow, I'm a really boring person lol.[/font]

[font=trebuchet ms] I got spoiled this year, since my AP Gov teacher would print out and copy tons of handouts that kept us up to date on world events and such, and he would announce random tidbits of news everyday.

He also (somehow) got us all subscriptions for [i]The Economist[/i], which is probably the best international news magazine. It beats the pants off of [i]Time[/i] and [i]Newsweek[/i], anyway.

But now that I'm out of high school, my news reading habits have become nonexistant, as I rarely check the news anymore. [/font]

I skim headlines online, but unless it's something really big, I prefer to read the news in print. The Washington Post and The Wall Street Journal are my daily fare. I like to curl up with Newsweek and Time on the weekends (although, like Lunox implied, you can't always take them too seriously).

~Dagger~

[quote]Generally I do this to get a balanced perspective on domestic politics... sometimes we get so wrapped up in things here, we fail to take a step back and observe it more objectively. So if I feel a story has become convoluted or skewed, I check it against its BBC counterpart.[/quote]

[font=franklin gothic medium]Heh, the BBC is pretty good but it isn't always terribly balanced when it comes to US politics.

Anyway, I read a wide variety of sources. I choose to read some newspapers on the internet, such as The Australian (National), The Daily Telegraph (Sydney) or The Age (Melbourne).

I never really read comics in newspapers though. I sometimes read local stories, but I generally read national news, international news or columns. Columns are definitely my favourite.

Other than that I read some general news sites, like News.com.au (which links in with several online papers).

I also sometimes read Time if I can be bothered getting it (although for some reason I don't prefer to read the online version of Time).

And other than those sources I read a lot of gaming industry based stuff (everything from IGN and GameSpot to GamesIndustry and Engadget).

Out of everything I really do prefer columns, especially those related to political issues. I like to read multiple perspectives on political issues, as well as different views on major issues of the day. And I [i]love[/i] reading about foreign policy and international issues.[/font]

[COLOR="DarkGreen"][FONT="Book Antiqua"]I usually read the regular newspaper that we get. I also check out some online sites as well. I don't have a particular site I visit though, or rather that I faithfully check. Like Rach I love wrapping things up by reading weird news reports and comics. Some of those odd stories are the most fun to read. People do the dumbest things! lol[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]I start off blazing a trail through the Drudge Report and then play the archived Libertarian Talk Radio that I download in the afternoon and play it while I do my data entry work.

I occasionally cross check AP reports with sound bytes I hear on the radio just to see how the spin is going and for fun I google "Obama and Messiah" and see what the new news is on his Second Ascension.

Occasionally I read the Washington Times and the Economist as well as the Wall Street Journal when Dad brings one home from work. Apparently I'm the only one in the house who cares. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="SeaGreen"][B]I really can't begin the day until I go out to get the local newspaper and skim through every section of it. At our house, getting a copy of The New York Times is a real treat; it only happens once every month or so. Anybody remember that crappy newpaper Weekly World News? THat was always fun to go through, whether it was about the continuing adventures of Bat Boy, the possessed toilet, or how a woman adopted the son of Big Foot. :) [/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT="Tahoma"]I've gotten into the habit of watching the news via the Internet or onDemand since I love being able to skip the commercials and watch it whenever I want. I also check out the online site of the newspaper in our area. I don't always read it every day though. [/FONT]

[SIZE="1"]Most of the time I generally stick to a daily broadsheet like the Independent or the Times, or if I'm desperate I'll buy one of the more reputable tabloid papers like the Mail but even then the difference is almost disconcerting to my intelligence. I enjoy reading Time and National Geographic when I have a chance as well, although it's fairly rare, generally occurring in a waiting room unless someone in the family has taken out a subscription.

I watch the news headlines most evenings on TV, but having read the paper prior to that it's only to see if anything happened that day since the paper was printed. Sky News is pretty good for that sort of thing, particularly since they added the Irish segment.

As for reading news online, only unless someone sends me a hyperlink.[/SIZE]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"][quote name='Sabrina'][FONT="Tahoma"]I've gotten into the habit of watching the news via the Internet or onDemand since I love being able to skip the commercials and watch it whenever I want. I also check out the online site of the newspaper in our area. I don't always read it every day though. [/FONT][/QUOTE]I do the same since I love skipping commercials. I also love using online sites since you can access so many different sources for news. Anyway, I usually skim the paper that is delivered and then through out the day I'll watch the news via onDemand and browse different websites for other articles and tidbits. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='SunfallE'][COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]I do the same since I love skipping commercials. I also love using online sites since you can access so many different sources for news. Anyway, I usually skim the paper that is delivered and then through out the day I'll watch the news via onDemand and browse different websites for other articles and tidbits. [/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Of course there are news reading Hobbits, and to think there aren't would be preposterous!

[COLOR="Indigo"]I don't read or watch the news as often as I probably should. I end up getting too caught up in reading for school or reading for fun. When I have time, I'm more interested in doing something I consider more fun, like playing games or watching a show I really enjoy.

I do usually try to check a couple times a week though since I hate being totally out of the loop as far as current news goes. I also have feeds for the weather that are always on display when I sign into my computer though. For some reason I like knowing what it's like outside at a glance. [/COLOR]