OtakuBoards

Do you believe in the Paranormal

Godot

This is a question that I wanted to ask all of you here on the OtakuBoards, do you believe in ghost. What are your theories for the seemingly undeterminable haunts that occur across the world. For me I believe that a good part of these reports are false or rather, hysteria leading people to make rash conclusions. But i do believe that some are true. Do you think that ghost are really souls that have been sent to hell and that there lingering as spirits in this world is one form of hell.

This is something that everyone can contribute their opinions into, dont be afraid.

[quote name='Godot;814832] do you believe in ghost.[/quote]No I do not.[quote name='Godot;814832] What are your theories for the seemingly undeterminable haunts that occur across the world. [/QUOTE]For something to be unexplainable only means we lack the means to actually examine what's going on if anything at all.[QUOTE=Godot;814832] For me I believe that a good part of these reports are false or rather, hysteria leading people to make rash conclusions. [/QUOTE]I wouldn't say hysteria but rather people don't like having something that is unknown so they try to give meaning to something that can't be explained. That and I've known a few who find it amusing to scare themselves over something like that even if they know the chances of it being true are pretty slim.[QUOTE=Godot''] But i do believe that some are true. Do you think that ghost are really souls that have been sent to hell and that there lingering as spirits in this world is one form of hell. [/quote]If by saying some are true, you mean ghosts exist... I don't buy that. Plus I'd have to actually believe in hell, which I do not, for me to even consider believing in ghosts.

So what do I believe in? It makes for fun silly nonsense to scare yourself with and not much else. It can be fun to take your girlfriend to movies like that... For the scream and cuddle factor. >_> But I had to go and get a girlfriend who just laughs at how silly they are so that's a bust. =P

[color=crimson]Well, many ghost stories or urban legends about ghosts are more for the social entertainment of hearing the story or checking out the "haunted house" down the street. San Antonio has plenty of haunted locations with some being more freaky than others.

One thing related to this that is a pet peeve of mine are television shows where a bunch of young adults go carousing around a house/farm/abandoned ______ to "solve" or "study" the ghost problem with the usual assortment of night vision cameras, communication equipment, and assorted electronics. What a rip off for whoever paid them to sit around and talk ****ing nonsense for half an hour.

Personally, ghost might exist. Getting past the urban legend and ghost stories, I've met people who have had very personal experiences that vividly and deeply affected them, ghosts or not.[/color]

[COLOR="DarkGreen"][FONT="Book Antiqua"][quote name='chibi-master'][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Sure, I believe in ghosts. That's all I [I]can[/I] do until whatever the "paranormal" activity is, is proven to be something else. Otherwise, I have nothing else to think. Plus it's just fun.[/FONT][/QUOTE]No that's what you choose to do. lol Unproven doesn't automatically mean must believe! [I]*shot*[/I] I do agree that it is mainly something people do for fun though.

I however do not believe in it and I find movies that portray it as if real irritating. Mainly because even though I know it's not real, I'm squeamish so I get grossed out easily. >_< It's annoying! [/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"][FONT="Century Gothic"]Ghosts and the paranormal is actually something i've looked into and hear about fairly often. I will say with great confidence that it's all a bunch of fooey.

People have a tendency to believe what they want to believe and rationalize it as they go along. You can't start with a conclusion and explain it as you go along.

I really despise it when people use scientific equipment or spout that what they're doing is science when it comes to ghosts and the paranormal.

Anyways... if you want to watch something funny about ghosts go to youtube and find Penn and Teller's episode of Bullsh*t about ghosthunters. It's quite hilarious.

[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]Of course i beleive in "ghosts". i also believe in the supernatural. why do you think the same number pops up everywhere, or you get a sick feeling one minute and the next minute something bad happens? seriously, though. i'm a believer in the "paranormal.[/COLOR]:catgirl:

[quote name='CrimsonKnight']or you get a sick feeling one minute and the next minute something bad happens?[/QUOTE]

The school's cheese quesadillas aren't worth a crap? (The bad thing being that you see the quesadillas again, but in the toilet, if ya' know what I mean?;))

[font=trebuchet ms] I don't believe in them and I don't not believe in them. I've never had any personal experiences, but I'm not going to slam down the hammer and say "paranormal activity believers are dumb/stupid/annoying/etc".

Also, [i]Ghost Hunters[/i] is wildly entertaining sometimes. "We're trying to DISPROVE hauntings...which, like, makes us [i]legit[/i]."[/font]

[quote name='CrimsonKnight'][COLOR="Red"]why do you think the same number pops up everywhere,[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]The human mind can play funny tricks on you. People tend to notice things more when they look for them. Example? Google "Wilhelm Scream." I swear, it's in every movie I ever go to now.

Topic-wise, no. It's an interesting concept, but I don't buy it. If you died, would you want to hang around here if you could be going to some all-out cosmic fiesta with George Washington and Richard Harris and other miscellaneous cool dead people? Didn't think so.[/FONT]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]I've yet to see anything that convinces me that ghosts actually exist and as Rach said, I find horror movies that play on that factor rather silly. It is interesting to read about and to sometimes watch the various shows and movies they put out, but that's about it. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT="Tahoma"]I'm sure it's possible, but I don't really think ghosts exist. I am religious DeathKnight, but at the same time, the existence of the afterlife doesn't necessarily mean that people's spirits are still around in this world. I believe in that but when it comes to ghosts... It's more that there is nothing I have seen or felt that was convincing or real enough to make me think they are around.[/FONT]

[quote name='DeathKnight'][color=crimson]In the most non-offensive way possible, I am very curious how many of you worship regularly at a religion and voted no for ghosts. If you'd tell me I'd be very appreciative.[/color][/QUOTE]

[FONT="Arial"][SIZE="1"]It truly depends on your definition of 'ghost'.

If you mean souls wandering the Earth after death, then no. You go to Heaven or to Hell, you don't stay on the Earth.

If you mean the existence of souls in a place apart from our planet, an afterlife (Heaven, Abraham's Bosom, Hades, or Hell), then yes. That is where you go when you die. But then you are a spirit, not a ghost. Though you are fundamentally a spirit in possession of a soul encased within a body (Why the Bible refers to our bodies as Earthly Vessels).

So, since we are all spirit beings, then we could all be considered ghosts right now. If your definition of ghost is the same as the Biblical definition of spirit.

But I do not use 'ghost' and 'spirit' interchangeably, so ghosts do not exist in accordance with my perception of the definition of the word.

If that does not answer your question, DeathKnight, I would be more than happy to elaborate.

[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='DeathKnight'][color=crimson]In the most non-offensive way possible, I am very curious how many of you worship regularly at a religion and voted no for ghosts. If you'd tell me I'd be very appreciative.[/color][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]Well this is the reason I can't outright say "no" to whether or not I believe in the paranormal, as yes it does sound somewhat like hypocrisy. I believe that the vast majority of what's publicised is probably false, or at least exaggerated to a large degree. I do believe that some people have had genuine experiences but that they are few in number.

I think most "haunted" locations are the result of people buying into the belief and then seeing something because they want to see it, whether subconsciously or not. The brain is a powerful organ after all. However that said, I have heard of a particular case occurring with a member of my own family that I do believe was genuine simply because of the vividness of the experience itself.

In short, do I believe in the paranormal ? Sort of. I believe in what's been established by Catholic dogma because I'm a Catholic, but I am rather sceptical about the supernatural in general.

Meh, I know, I did a crap job of explaining myself.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Gavin'][SIZE="1"]In short, do I believe in the paranormal ? Sort of. I believe in what's been established by Catholic dogma because I'm a Catholic, but I am rather sceptical about the supernatural in general.

Meh, I know, I did a crap job of explaining myself.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]'S alright. I wouldn't be doing any better.

Yeah, I'm religious, but I don't believe in ghosts. Go fig. I just don't see the point in keeping the dead on Earth any longer. I mean, Catholics have Purgatory for minor atonement, everyone else either burns or is forgiven, and Athiests don't believe in an afterlife anyway.

Alright, so there's Wicca and all that. I'm not informed enough discuss that yet, though.[/FONT]

[FONT="Garamond"][SIZE="1"][COLOR="Navy"]I'm going to say yes, I do believe in ghosts.

Well ... maybe not so much "ghosts". I don't believe that a spirit can physically manifest itself like many ghost chasers believe, rather, I believe that spirits lingering in purgatory have some kind of presence that people can sense. It sounds weird, but there is some evidence to back it up that doesn't sound crazy. Well, maybe it all sounds crazy. Now I'm contradicting myself. Bahh.

I also don't believe that spirits are evil. But that's just me. I enjoy going to places that are supposedly "haunted", but usually come back with no solid evidence besides having the spooks. And whether real or not, a person can make a buttload of money if they earn a masters degree in paranormal psychology and are able to find a job, because I imagine that that type of service is not needed in most places. I saw it in some job outlook book my counselor showed us back in like 10th grade, but I can't remember the name of it. It said that a paranormal investigator's annual income was somewhere around $80,000-100,000. Pretty ridiculous.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR="DarkGreen"][FONT="Book Antiqua"][quote name='DeathKnight'][color=crimson]In the most non-offensive way possible, I am very curious how many of you worship regularly at a religion and voted no for ghosts. If you'd tell me I'd be very appreciative.[/color][/QUOTE]Before I decided I wanted nothing to do with religion, I still did not believe in ghosts. For the same reason that sakurasuka just explained. If there is an afterlife, your spirit goes there instead of hanging around on Earth, that is what I was taught. So even then I still did not believe in ghosts or rather in spirits haunting the Earth so to speak. [/FONT][/COLOR]

• 3 weeks later...
[quote name='DeathKnight'][COLOR=crimson]In the most non-offensive way possible, I am very curious how many of you worship regularly at a religion and voted no for ghosts. If you'd tell me I'd be very appreciative.[/COLOR][/quote]

I'm religious and voting no for ghosts. When you die you go into what is known as a 'sould sleep' to await the final day of judgement. This is why the ghosts of dead people do not roam the earth, according to my beliefs.

Now, some people do see spirits that resemble their deceased friends/family, and their are mediums that claim to contact the dead, but I do not believe they are. They're talking to demonic apparitions that have taken these forms. The Bible lets us know that demons can decieve people by taking on different forms, and Satan himself can appear as an "angel of the light."

So yeah, no to ghosts, but there are other forces at work in this world. Now you can safely call me crazy! :p