OtakuBoards

Forbidden Kingdom

Drizzt Do'urden

Has anyone seen this movie yet? I watched it a couple nights ago with my fiancee and all I have to say is wow. They turned it into an RPers dream, nobody who role plays can say that they've never been in a story they wished was reality.

Plus the different fighting styles, again wow. I have a LOT more to say about the movie, but before I get into a rant about it, I'd like to hear what everyone else thought about it?

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]Speaking up as the only person on the boards [I checked] who has soldiered through Wu Cheng'En's magnum opus, his pinnacle of literary wonder, The Forbidden Kingdom is VERY loosely based on the Journey To The West.

We have trickster Monkey, also known as Sun Wukong, the great and unfathomably powerful creature whose power only the great Buddha Tagatatha rivals, and then some stupid Italian kid who at least has to work to get his gong fu powers. That part was fine. Sparrow, who talks about herself in the third person and is not inspired from the Journey to the west in the least, and then we have the Jade Warlord. Who doesn't exist. And in fact he'd be impossible in ACTUAL Chinese storytelling because he'd have to be corrupted, aka an actual demon and would never not submit to the Jade Emperor's choices.

Either way it was visually stimulating, and very heart warming, and I dearly loved the white haired demoness who of course doesn't have a real name because god knows in the Journey to the West there were no cool names for demons- Oh wait. Yeah....... no. They did do a relatively good job though but the movie is still somewhat inaccessible for the average action/kung fu movie person. You'd have to do a little research before some of the smaller parts of the movie and the nuances become clearer to you.

Oh yes, and the parts where the elixir of immortality is? No. There is way more than that one thinly disguised thermos . Basins. Wells. Bottomless pits full of the stuff in heaven. Trust me. I checked.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="HotPink"]Simple: Best martial arts movie ever made in my opinion. Loved it. The trailer didn't make it out to be so awesome, but I saw it just on a spur, because I didn't want to go see a superhero movie (Iron Man) or a crappy comedy (Baby Mama).

I was surprised, to say the least. Good buy on DVD as well. [/COLOR][/SIZE]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I thought Forbidden Kingdom was pretty good. Probably the better of the martial arts movies that did well with the wires/strings. Every since The Protector I don't care for movies dealing with wires.

Jet Li's role as the monkey king. I didn't care much for his role as the monkey king, but I don't think it was all that bad either. However, I would've preferred it if Jackie Chan was the monkey king. His personality fits the role a lot more. Jet Li should've been the main villain.

• 1 month later...
[SIZE="2"]I honestly thought I would hate the movie just because of its kind of childish theme but it actually added a bit of charm to it. And I though Jet Li made a pretty good monkey. Not worth a buy but definitely a rental.[/SIZE]

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
[COLOR="Purple"][FONT="Verdana"]This movie did have its perks. But I would say that this movie was very predictable! It wasn't what I thought it would be. Just like the way the boy journyed into China?! Come on now, [spoiler]falling off a building into China??[/spoiler]

Anyway the fighting style of it was the only thing keeping me awake.[/FONT][/COLOR]