OtakuBoards

Any Recommendations?

Riddick

looking for a new series to get into but i'm not sure where to begin. i've seen alot of the big name animes like trigun, cowboy bebop, bleach, elfen lied, claymore etc. i'm mostly into the really violent typical guy animes though i did enjoy please teacher, golden boy, chobits, and love hina but thats mostly because they were perverted.

You should look at some of the anime from [URL="http://www.bones.co.jp/index2.html"]Studio Bones. [/URL] They are my favs. I'm watching Xam'd Lost Memories right now. I saw Eureka 7 on adult swim last year, which I couldn't take my eyes off of. I also enjoyed Darker Than Black very much. (If you liked the music from Cowboy Bebop, I believe the some of same people worked on the music for that.)

Other good anime are:Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Rurouni Kenshin, and Dragon Ball (although some people may disagree with me on that last one).

thanks for the recommendations i actually watched witch hunter robin and Darker than Black and i must say both are very good!

i was actually really suprised to see that bones did full metal alchemist too ^^

It's hard to make a recommendation without knowing your tastes or what you want to see more of. Personally, my tastes change depending upon my mood.

When I feel like action: Black Lagoon, Hellsing, Sword of the Stranger, Ninja Scroll
When I feel like comedy: Ranma, Strawberry Marshmallow, Karin, Kimagure Orange Road, Lupin III
When I feel like romance: Maison Ikkoku (but you have to have a TON of time), Fushigi Yugi
When I feel like a heart-warming show salfe for kids: Cardcaptor Sakura, Someday's Dreamer.
When I feel like fantasy: Record of Lodoss Wars, 3x3 Eyes, Escaflowne, Bastard!!
When I feel like a good mix: Samurai Champloo, Cowboy Bebop
Martial Arts: Fighting Spirit (be careful, addicting!)

Yeah, I'm old so my choices reflect that a bit. However, I prefer to think of them as classics! :animesmil

I've seen the first part of Witch Hunter Robin and it seems fun, but my friend at Bandai who worked on the show cautioned me that it didn't end well, so I've been afraid to ruin my good opinion by finishing it. Dragon Ball can be a lot of fun, but there's a ton of forgettable episodes. Heck, all of these recommendations are good, although I have trouble committing to long series.

Here's a couple of short ones: 3x3 Eyes, Armitage III (go for the OVA if you like hard sci-fi, otherwise see the dubbed movie Polymatrix), Bastard!!

Can anyone recommend some good series with 3 DVDs or less? (not feature films, I've already got a fat list of those).

Punk Daddy, I can tell you're quite experienced. 3 DVDs or less - do you care about the actual series length? Gunslinger Girl and Genshiken were both released on 3 DVDs (and re-released in smaller box-form) and either is buyable for under 30 bucks. Both are the utmost of excellent series - take it from a fellow vet ; )

Quick recommendation, I could probably give you 100 cause it seems you and I like the same type of anime.

I've been watching Death Note, I'm like 10 episodes in and I'm not going to lie, it's pretty darn addicting, but it's pretty disturbing in a weird way. I'll drop by for more recommendation a little later.

[FONT="Century Gothic"][SIZE="2"][COLOR="maroon"]Well, I don't know if you will like it, but you can try Tenjo Tenge.

The anime has a mix of a couple of elements, and can be enjoyable if you are into it.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Ryumi'][FONT="Century Gothic"][SIZE="2"][COLOR="maroon"]Well, I don't know if you will like it, but you can try Tenjo Tenge.

The anime has a mix of a couple of elements, and can be enjoyable if you are into it.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

OMG i loved that show to bad it stopped after two episodes in the second season.
T-T also some good shows that are really good for fighting is Blood+

[quote name='Riddick']i'm not sure where to begin.[/QUOTE]
I always wonder why people don't give a complete listing of what they have seen. This would make it easier for us to offer recommendations.

Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (12 eps) is a good show about a girl who controls the world, but doesn't know it. A little slow, but entertaining.

Shakugan no Shana, but the story isn't all great. Watch it for the animation style. Good action scenes, but not the best. Lots of talking instead of killing rhetoric.

Anime Network has been running Clannad (no dub). Rather enjoyable so far. Might be too slow if you're looking for action.

Full Metal Panic was a surprise for me, given I [i]despise[/i] mech anime. Action, comedy, and just enough mech action to blend it all together.

Alas, this is far as I go without knowing the shows you've seen.

[quote name='Tallgeese-']Quick recommendation, I could probably give you 100 cause it seems you and I like the same type of anime.

I've been watching Death Note, I'm like 10 episodes in and I'm not going to lie, it's pretty darn addicting, but it's pretty disturbing in a weird way. I'll drop by for more recommendation a little later.[/QUOTE]

own the manga and the anime for death note ^^

[quote name='EyesOfHaruhi']I always wonder why people don't give a complete listing of what they have seen. This would make it easier for us to offer recommendations.

Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (12 eps) is a good show about a girl who controls the world, but doesn't know it. A little slow, but entertaining.

Shakugan no Shana, but the story isn't all great. Watch it for the animation style. Good action scenes, but not the best. Lots of talking instead of killing rhetoric.

Anime Network has been running Clannad (no dub). Rather enjoyable so far. Might be too slow if you're looking for action.

Full Metal Panic was a surprise for me, given I [i]despise[/i] mech anime. Action, comedy, and just enough mech action to blend it all together.

Alas, this is far as I go without knowing the shows you've seen.[/QUOTE]\

i'll come up with a list soon, but i didnt think i'd get so many replies to my thread.

i've also been pretty busy as of late renewing my emt licenese so soon as i get some spare time i'll see if i can find an episode or 2 online and "test" watch em before i decide to buy. yes i know its bad but if i really enjoy the series i almost always buy the series ^^;

try Higurashi: When They Cry, its all violent but just without many guys o.0.... so it half suits you from the prefrences you said at the beginning

also, if u havent already, try D. Grey-Man its quite a good action/fantasy anime :) i watched it once and was addicted instantly ^^

Ps- .hack//roots is also quite good. I recommend roots because its the better out of all 3 .hack series.

I would recemend Shikabane Hime. It deals heavly with the undead and Buddhism. The first couple of episodes are hard to get into though, but after about the third it starts to pick up.

Here's a link to FUNimation's site were you can watch it:[url]http://www.funimation.com/video/?page=show&b=152[/url]

[quote name='Ryumi'][FONT="Century Gothic"][SIZE="2"][COLOR="maroon"]Well, I don't know if you will like it, but you can try Tenjo Tenge.

The anime has a mix of a couple of elements, and can be enjoyable if you are into it.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

Uhh, Tenjo Tenge is almost always about, you know, boobs, but it's good!

Also, I would recommend Neon Genesis Evangelion, really depressing, but so awsome, also the 2.0 is coming out soon, so hurry up!:box: