Jump to content
OtakuBoards

Recommended Posts

Posted
[COLOR=Green][SIZE=1]As it stands, Michigan has 3 annual anime conventions right now.

The oldest, [B]JAFAX[/B], is held in late June at Grand Valley State University in Allendale (near Grand Rapids). JAFAX is free to attend.

The largest, [B]Youmacon[/B], used to be held at the Hilton in Troy, but outgrew it and is now held at the Hyatt-Regency in Dearborn. Its biggest claim is the Cosplay Shougi game (think Wizard Chess from the end of Harry Potter 1). It's the first weekend in November.

The newest, [B]Anime Detroit[/B], is held in October at the Hilton in Troy. This was its first year.

I've been to Youmacon twice, it was a good time. I'm not going this year, though, for various reasons (the most obvious being I'm now attending college over 500 miles away, in the opposite corner of the state...) I'd really like to go to JAFAX sometime. Maybe next summer...
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
Posted
I'm taking a train down from Eastern Ontario to go to Youmacon next week.

Check out theO's [URL="http://www.theotaku.com/worlds/conventionist/view/124368/youmacon_2009_information_and_meetup/"]Conventionist [/URL]for info if you want to meet up with other theO member's going this year.
Posted
Is anyone going to the Anime Crossroads convention in November? Its being held in Indiana which is convenient for me because I already live here. I'm going to be Horo from Spice and Wolf.

If you are going then who are you going to be? are you going to do a skit? or are you just there to watch and probably aren't going to cosplay
Posted
I really want to go to a con, but I wont be able to go to one until next year :animesigh

Even so, I want to make sure I am totally prepared.
What do you usually take with you when you go to anime conventions? how much money do you spend?
Posted
I take:

[LIST]
[*]Water bottle
[*]Cash
[*]Jacket
[*]Bag
[*]Cell phone
[*]music player
[*]cards
[*]book
[*]snacks
[*]glow sticks
[/LIST]

Cards, music, and book for entertainment during the downtimes. Cell phone for emergencies. Jacket for bad weather or cold panel rooms. Bag to hold all your crap. Water bottle to keep you hydrated. Besides that, WATER IS FREE. Snacks are for when you are hungry or don't have time to eat. Glow sticks are for the dance XD
Posted
Are you going to be staying at a hotel during the con? Or are you going to be going to and from each day you plan on going? If you are staying at a hotel, then there is quite a bit more you need to bring, but here's the stuff I usually have on me during the con:

[LIST]
[*]Messenger bag
[*]Camera
[*]Various items such as tape to fix potential at-con cosplay breakings
[*]Cellphone
[*]Wallet
[/LIST]
Not much, I know, but I don't like to be weighed down. I usually bring money for food and the like, rather than carry it, but that's just because I want to only have to carry a small bag that doesn't interfere with my cosplay.

In terms of money, it depends on several things. Once again, are you staying at a hotel? Are you bringing food, or are you planning on eating out? How many meals will you need to pay for if you are eating out? Also, have you already paid for your con badge, or do you need to buy it when you get there?

Other than food and badge money, I can't think of much that is necessary for spending. Everything else is just dependent on how much you [I]want[/I] to spend. One of my cons, I spent around $80 on merch, whereas my last one I only spent about $20.

So basically, go through each day you plan on being at the con, and think about what you may need. The key things are: hotel, food, cosplay, and merchandise.
  • 3 weeks later...
Posted
[LIST]
[*][SIZE=1]Convention pass***;[/SIZE]
[*][SIZE=1]Camera;[/SIZE]
[*][SIZE=1]Food (because you want to keep your money for the dealer's room);[/SIZE]
[*][SIZE=1]Money;[/SIZE]
[*][SIZE=1]An extra bag (because we're ecological and a good extra bag holds up better than five different plastic bags);[/SIZE]
[*][SIZE=1]A list of things to do/to buy;[/SIZE]
[*][SIZE=1]Gum. Lot's'a gum.[/SIZE][/LIST][SIZE=1]You'll usually be very busy during a con, so try to bring only the essential. It's quite a bother to carry big things around when all you want to do is have fun.[/SIZE]
Posted
[SIZE=1]I was wondering if anyone here was going to [B]GAnime[/B] in February? I know this is a tiny convention but I thought I'd ask anyway, haha.[/SIZE]
Posted
[QUOTE][SIZE="1"][B]G-Anime[/B] is [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quebec"]Quebec[/URL]'s second largest [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anime_Convention"]Anime Convention[/URL] promoting Japanese animation ([URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anime"]Anime[/URL]), Japanese [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphic_novels"]graphic novels[/URL] ([URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manga"]Manga[/URL]), related [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game"]video games[/URL] and Japanese [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pop-culture"]pop-culture[/URL]. The non-profit convention is run by a group called [B]La Société d'Animation Japonnaise de Gatineau[/B] (also known by its acronym SAJG), and has been held in February 2009 in [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gatineau"]Gatineau[/URL], [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quebec"]Quebec[/URL], [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada"]Canada[/URL]. A second edition is planned for 2010 in the same time-frame.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]Posted for those unaware what G-Anime is.[/SIZE]
Posted
OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG

THERE IS ACTUALLY SOMEONE ELSE ON HERE THAT IS FROM OTTAWA AREA?!?!

I've been ever so lonely these past years... ;_;

I am definitely planning on going for at least one of the days. I am currently living just outside of Ottawa, so I'll be driving myself in and out. If it seems good, I may go every day.

We should totally meet up or something. Sure, I haven't the slightest clue as to who you are, but you are on here, therefore that's good enough for me.

*laughs*
Posted
[quote name='Kastom']OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG

THERE IS ACTUALLY SOMEONE ELSE ON HERE THAT IS FROM OTTAWA AREA?!?!

I've been ever so lonely these past years... ;_;

I am definitely planning on going for at least one of the days. I am currently living just outside of Ottawa, so I'll be driving myself in and out. If it seems good, I may go every day.

We should totally meet up or something. Sure, I haven't the slightest clue as to who you are, but you are on here, therefore that's good enough for me.

*laughs*[/quote]

[SIZE=1]
ADASQUEE.
Yosh! I don't know who you are either but meeting strangers we've barely talked to over the Internet is

Hmm... well, to put it simply, I'm from Montreal but I'm going there by car with a few friends and we're staying at the Victoria Suites for the night.

Will you cosplay? I'll be dressed up as C.C. from Code Geass... if that's any help.

We should try to set a time and place ;D[/SIZE] always fun :D.
Posted
Oh for sure I'll be cosplaying. I'll be going as Kamina from Gurren Lagann. CC? Niiiiice. She's a pretty sweet character.

But yeah, we should try to meet up. Meeting people from the Internet is always great fun. *laughs*
Posted
GAnime is the 2nd largest anime convention in quebec? and what's the 1st? Otakuthon?
im from montreal too :) how long does it takes to get to gatineau? if its not too long, i might want to attend too :)
Posted
[LIST]
[*]Money
[*]Money
[*]Money
[*]Money
[*]Camera
[/LIST]

But seriously, you need money for everything; food, con pass, dealer's hall merchandise, etc. Also, if you're staying at a hotel you definitely need it. So yeah. :V
Posted
I'm pretty sure it's Otakuthon.

And from Montreal to Gatineau is about 2 hours, depending on where you live in Montreal.

Do it! You know you want toooo...

*laughs*

Also, ANOTHER CANADIAN ON HERE?! WHERE HAVE ALL OF YOU BEEN HIDING?!

*laughs further*

EDIT: Oh yeah, I keep forgetting that not everyone that uses OB uses theO.

lol
Posted
Ohh! I attended Zenkaikon this year and last year :D
this year as Chaud Blaze (MegaMan NT Warrior) ;3
if you went, who did you go as?? ^^
Zenkaikon was really awesome this year especially the dealer's room XDD
I'll probably be going next year too~~
Posted
[SIZE=1]Yupyup Otakuthon is the most popular convention. When the date is closer, we should try to decide on where we could meet up or something.[/SIZE]
Posted
Yeah, we still got almost two months to go. But I assume it'll probably be something like, "Outside of the dealer's room at noon on Saturday."

I'll also get a post of the meetup up on the Conventionist world on theOtaku, just in case there are some other people nearby/going that I don't know about. *laughs*

But yep, sounds sweet.
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted
[quote name='Kastom']Are you going to be staying at a hotel during the con? Or are you going to be going to and from each day you plan on going? If you are staying at a hotel, then there is quite a bit more you need to bring, but here's the stuff I usually have on me during the con:
[LIST]
[*]Messenger bag
[*]Camera
[*]Various items such as tape to fix potential at-con cosplay breakings
[*]Cellphone
[*]Wallet[/LIST]Not much, I know, but I don't like to be weighed down. I usually bring money for food and the like, rather than carry it, but that's just because I want to only have to carry a small bag that doesn't interfere with my cosplay.

In terms of money, it depends on several things. Once again, are you staying at a hotel? Are you bringing food, or are you planning on eating out? How many meals will you need to pay for if you are eating out? Also, have you already paid for your con badge, or do you need to buy it when you get there?

Other than food and badge money, I can't think of much that is necessary for spending. Everything else is just dependent on how much you [I]want[/I] to spend. One of my cons, I spent around $80 on merch, whereas my last one I only spent about $20.

So basically, go through each day you plan on being at the con, and think about what you may need. The key things are: hotel, food, cosplay, and merchandise.[/quote]

I am going to stay at a hotel, and will probably eat out quite a bit since we are staying for about a week (going to places other than the con, cuz my mom wants to use it as a vacation and my other sibs arent that fond of anime..)
Posted
I might be getting a little ahead of myself, posting this now considering the con is in June, but I did anyway :animesmil

Just to let you know the pre-registration vip and ultra-vip passes need to be paid for before Dec. 31st or it cost more to do... It's $6o for vip and $110 for Ultra-vip, regular pre-registration is $35.

I am soo excited to go because it is my first convention and VIC MIGNOGNA IS GOING TO BE THERE!!!! That's one of the reasons that I am going in the first place (the others being that it is only 4 hours away, and starts on the last day of school)
I want to cosplay, but the chances are getting slimer and slimer xD

anyone else going? ^__^
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted
Aside from the normal stuff you'd bring anywhere overnight, throw the following in a messenger bag or backpack:
-snack foods. This is really important because you can end up blowing a lot of cash on food. If you're staying at a hotel and you get a fridge in your room, bring stuff to make sandwiches.
-bottled water.
-sketchbook/notebook.
-PSP, Nintendo DS or something else to entertain you if you're in line for one of the larger events
-camera and batteries
-list of things to buy
-no more than $100 dollars. Leave the rest of your money in your room, and if you find something expensive just run back and get it. If your bag is lost or stolen your money will be spent/eaten/gone when you recover it. This happened to a friend of mine at a con and she lost around five hundred dollars.
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted
[quote name='vlad_chan']Aside from the normal stuff you'd bring anywhere overnight, throw the following in a messenger bag or backpack:
-snack foods. This is really important because you can end up blowing a lot of cash on food. If you're staying at a hotel and you get a fridge in your room, bring stuff to make sandwiches.
-bottled water.
-sketchbook/notebook.
-PSP, Nintendo DS or something else to entertain you if you're in line for one of the larger events
-camera and batteries
-list of things to buy
-no more than $100 dollars. Leave the rest of your money in your room, and if you find something expensive just run back and get it. If your bag is lost or stolen your money will be spent/eaten/gone when you recover it. This happened to a friend of mine at a con and she lost around five hundred dollars.[/quote]


wow that really stinks :(
I'll be sure to be careful.
Hopefully I wont have to wait in line since i sprung for the vip badge, but we'll just have to see how it turns out ;;^_^

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...