OtakuBoards

Convention Center Archive

ForeverPurity

[url="http://sanantoniootaku.webs.com"]2cworhh.png[/url]

(image leads to the website)

About
The San Antonio Otaku (also known as SAO, which means "Pole" in Japanese; which is why the lady in the background holds a polearm. Aha. I'm clever, not) was inspired by a group of fans and cosplayers that I met while I was living in Philiadelphia.

Mission
To spread Otaku-ism over San Antonio by connecting with the anime clubs in the area and building a strong community!

Description
The San Antonio Otaku (also known as SAO, which means "Pole" in Japanese; which is why the lady in the background holds a polearm. Aha. I'm clever, not) was inspired by a group of fans and cosplayers that I met while I was living in Philiadelphia. They dress up, go to malls and just generally hang out. I hoped that I could create something like that here in San Antonio. So, join, meet the locals, have some fun!

The San Antonio Otaku enjoy numerous gatherings throughout the year. We generally meet about once a month on a formal basis. But we also gather on a much more frequent basis in an informal fashion, just hanging out witha group of members here and there. In addition to our gatherings, The San Antonio Otaku also sponsor trips to Anime conventions taking place in the region. This allows members to enjoy the excitement of going to a convention, part of the highlights of being involved in cosplay. We have a forum. We plan trips and gatherings as well as discuss many issues relating to cosplay and anime in general. We encourage everyone who is interested in learning more about the group, to stop in at our forums, located in the website section.

Contact the Prez @ [email protected] or [email protected]
The Website: [url="http://www.sanantoniootaku.webs.com"]http://www.sanantoniootaku.webs.com[/url]
The Facebook Group: [url="http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_127394717332591"]http://www.facebook....127394717332591[/url]
The Facebook Page: [url="http://www.facebook.com/pages/San-Antonio-Otaku/132490653489496"]http://www.facebook....132490653489496[/url]

SO JOIN TODAY. OKAY? We're gonna be the best...there every was! KAY?!

REJOICE, OUR OFFICIAL LOCATION IS DUNGEON COMIX. NEXT MEETING: JULY 21. 5-9PM.
Also, Staff applications are live! [url="http://www.sanantoniootaku.webs.com/staff.html"]http://www.sanantoni....com/staff.html[/url]

Edited by Petie

• 2 months later...
Hello! I'm Mrs. Camui.

Anyone here from the southern regions of the US?

Well then, I think you'd be interested is A2F: Arkansas Anime Festival. It's Arkansas's only anime convention. We've been going on for about 2 years now.

I'm here spreading to those who don't know of it. If you'd like to learn more, visit

[URL]http://arkansasanimefestival.com/[/URL]

And do visit our forums for any questions. We'd be happy to answer if we can.

We've just recently had a con in March, but another one isn't but 3 or 4 months away. Check the website I gave for updates on when, where and who.

Hope to see you there! Ja Ne!

:wave:

• 1 month later...
Chibi Pa 2009
North American Anime and Japanese Culture Event.
September 4th - 6th, 2009
Crowne Plaza Hotel - West Palm Beach, FL USA
[URL="http://www.chibipa.com"]www.chibipa.com[/URL]

Cost: $25 Three Day Pass
Parents free with Child admission
$10 Friday only
$20 Saturday only
$10 Sunday only

Crowne Plaza Rooms only $99 a night. Get a free weekend pass with every night stayed at the Crowne Plaza.

Chibi Pa is striving to be the worlds best anime party. We have all the convention standards like a Dealers room, Panels, Anime Viewing rooms, Dances, Artist Alley, Cosplay, Lan Console and Tabletop Gaming etc etc. Not so standard are our all night party floor, Drunken Karaoke, Sake Tasting Panel, Sushi Demo, Hentai Costume Contest, Water Balloon Fights and more.

This year we are opening a special panel room for our furry friends to promote an open and welcome environment for fans of all kinds. To mark this special occasion we have invited [B]Tom Fischbach [/B]of 2kinds.com to be our special guest.

We are also very proud to announce the [B]Nerf Hallway Offensive[/B]. A three day tournament for nerf gun enthusiasts that permits Nerf Warriors to stalk and hunt other participants.

[B]Hope to see you there!!![/B]

[font=franklin gothic medium]Question: do we have a World on theOtaku specifically for cons? Maybe we can link this over there too.

Perhaps we should try to use this forum a bit more for convention type stuff as well as general events. What do you guys think?[/font]

[quote name='James'][font=franklin gothic medium]Question: do we have a World on theOtaku specifically for cons? Maybe we can link this over there too.

Perhaps we should try to use this forum a bit more for convention type stuff as well as general events. What do you guys think?[/font][/QUOTE]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]Perchance we could make a seperate sub forum in anime central for convention news. Or maybe a sticky? [/FONT]

[SIZE="1"]Usually I either just close threads about conventions or move them over to the Anime Lounge seeing as they're invariably about manga and anime. I was under the impression that threads dedicated specifically to advertise weren't allowed but if we're changing the rules in regard to advertising conventions specifically I'd be more inclined towards Korey's idea of a sub-forum and add a sticky later once we decide the parameters for the threads themselves.

Thoughts ?[/SIZE]

[font=franklin gothic medium]Hm, no, I don't think we need to over-think it too much - especially considering that there isn't exactly a huge amount of convention-related discussion going on.

My thinking though is that a lot of readers could be mistaking this forum's purpose because of its name.

I'm also not sure that events and conventions fit together for OB purposes, but it might be worth incorporating convention discussion in some official way somewhere - without creating more forums.[/font]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]Stickies do well for that.

[B]OFFICIAL CONVENTION THREAD: Post convention information here![/B]

Although I'm thinking if we did that, it would open up the doors for advertisements to come through, which we really don't want.....

I think maybe we would should rename the [b]Convention Center[/b] to something like "Otaku Event Center". That way we know exactly what it's for. [/FONT]

[quote name='Korey'][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]I think maybe we would should rename the [b]Convention Center[/b] to something like "Otaku Event Center". That way we know exactly what it's for. [/FONT][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]I think with Otaku Event Center we're also going to try quite a few convention threads, seeing as Otaku Events tend to be conventions.

Personally I reckon we should just move back to the old name of [B]Community Events[/B], or maybe [B]Community Center[/B], something that distinguishes it as for being for OB only. Either way perhaps this thread should be split and moved to the staff forum for further discussion ?
[/SIZE]

• 2 weeks later...
Hello! In this thread talk about some conventions you went too, who you cosplayed as, your favorite parts, favorite conventions, what you got, and stuff like that. Have fun with your post, talk about ANYTHING you want to about the convention.I am new to making a Thread so if this is in the wrong category, someone just please tell me. Enjoy!!!

• 3 weeks later...
[IMG]http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/3959/aofteaserposter.jpg[/IMG]

WHAT: Anime Overload Festival AOF 2009
WHERE: Function Room 5, SMX Convention Center, Pasay City (beside SM MOA)
WHEN: November 08, 2009 10:00AM-8:00PM

Activities:

1. Videogame Challenge
Show your combo skills or button-mashing tricks on the hottest videogame as you work your way up to the Championship

2. Anime Karaoke Idol
Can you belt a tune singing your favorite J-Pop or J-Rock songs? You do? Then join this contest. If not, please do spare us.

3. Battle of the Bands
Do you have that rockstar attitude? Join this contest to prove that you are truly worthy.

4. Individual Cosplay Competition
Now's your chance to show the crowd your latest cosplay get-up. Enter the contest & let them judge.

5. Group Cosplay Competition
Are your group doing another serious drama skit or another kenkoy dance number? Or can your group do a new gimmick
for your group performance? Then try to upstand other group cosplayers as you do your original performance piece.

6. Anime Music Video Competition
Got that handycam gathering dust in your cabinet? Shoot your own anime music video & show your directing skills.

7. Anime Dance Showdown
Show that body Movin', Groovin', Twistin', and Shakin' with the tune of an Anime Song. Get ready for the showdown!

8. Anime Voice Comic Contest
Got a funny joke about anime? Can you imitate Naruto's voice? Make us laugh (or cry) with your punchlines while you imitate your favorite anime characters's voice.

9. Gyudon Eating Contest
Do you have the appetite to finish a bowl of gyudon meal in a few seconds? Join this contest & eat

10. Manga Drawing Contest
Bring out your pencils & coloring materials as you draw your original manga characters in this exciting contest. Oh dont forget to bring out your skills.

11. Photo Contest
Too shy to wear your geeky costume outside your door step? Then your IN! go ahead take a power shot, show your anime get up!...
anyway no one else is looking at you but the camera.

12. Maid?s Café
Fancy having a maid serve your meal while entertaining you with all their kawaii moves? Look no further, here's your chance.

13. Manga Cafe
Did you bring along your sketchbook & want to get away from the crowd to do some sketches while sipping your favorite drinks?
Or maybe you just simply want to read a manga comic? Here's the perfect place to bring out your artwork while you unwind & read all your favorite manga.

14. Exhibitors Zone
Looking for an elusive anime toy? an event souvenir? or that hard to find anime cartoon that you've been yearning for years?
Check out the exhibitor zone for all the hottest & coolest finds.

PLUS MORE EXCITING PRIZES TO BE GIVEN AWAY!!!

For inquiries, please email: [email][email protected][/email]

[quote name='Magus']Hmm.. I never thought Michigan did conventions... You won't see me there but, it is nice to know that conventions are held here though.[/quote]

ya they do the convention is called youmacon it so cool i wish i coul go this year but can't becuse i have no costume(T_T sry cloud my lord and savier!!!!)its (go's to the site...) oct/29th to nov/1st in metro detroit 1 of the cool things is they have a live chess piece match!! real people are the chess piece's duz'nt that soud awsome!?!?!? XD :animesmil

I will be attending the convention, as I'm a native to New York City. Though I won't be cosplaying I'll be working the entire weekend as a member of the press. Bringing live coverage from the con to everyone online throughout that entire weekend. Shouldn't be hard to find my staff and I, as we'll be the only members of the press with a Kamen no Maid guy walking around interviewing people. We won't be hard to miss, we're also doing some photo shoots that weekend so stop buy and say hello to us. :animeknow

Also Adam (The owner of TheOtaku) will be there he has a panel he does every year don't remember the title you should probably ask around.

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]Are there any otakus who will be attending this year's Yaoi Con? I'll be staffing the security panels as usual, so I'm always trying to drum up attendees.

San Mateo, Halloween Weekend, 18 and over, totally worth the not so bad prices.

Bishounens and babes.

[URL="http://yaoicon.com"]Yaoi Con Official Website[/URL][/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT="Tahoma"]This will be my third year going, I intend on attending more panels this year than in previous years. The various panels concerning copyrights and property rights in particular.

It is a shame about the cancellation of 20th Century Boys part 3, as I have not seen it yet. However L: Change the World seems a suitable replacement to save the time slot.

Will be cosplaying as Shuuhei Hisagi from Bleach on saturday, with my girlfriend doing Yoruichi in battle form.[/FONT]

• 3 weeks later...