OtakuBoards

The Complaint

Botar

It might just be me, but the OB is getting a little run down. The Theator is crammed with ancient threads that haven't been posted in for years, the invisible feature sucks, and the Info kiosk is just run down.

If you have any, "Complaints" post them here. Lets make OB a bettet place, One member at a time.

[COLOR="Indigo"][FONT="Arial"][quote name='botar15]It might just be me, but the OB is getting a little run down. [/QUOTE]Explain run down, generalizations don't really explain anything. How is it run down? Be specific. [QUOTE=botar15]The Theator is crammed with ancient threads that haven't been posted in for years, [/QUOTE]Usually the answer to something like that is to create new rp's or start threads with new topics, instead of whining because there are older threads in there that aren't active anymore. No one is stopping you from creating a rp or joining one to increase activity.[QUOTE=botar15]the invisible feature sucks[/QUOTE]Sucks or doesn't work? I'm currently using it and it works fine for me.[QUOTE=botar15]the Info kiosk is just run down.[/QUOTE]Again, explain how it's run down. That means absoutely nothing really.[QUOTE=botar15']If you have any, "Complaints" post them here. Lets make OB a bettet place, One member at a time.[/quote]Complaints are nice and all, but when they're generalizations that don't explain what's wrong or make suggestions on how to improve, they're ultimately worthless. [/FONT][/COLOR]

I'd certainly appreciate less attitude and more collegiality from moderators. Asking for the rationale behind a censoring decision should produce a thoughtful response, not an arrogant "that's the rules, period" cliche followed by even more bossy malarkey. We're not employed here, but we choose to spend time here; hence, a modicum of respect should be forthcoming from those who represent the Web site.

:cool:

[B][COLOR="Red"]=^..^=[/COLOR][/B]

Well put Flyvapnet, I would like to see "the others" try to put that down for not elaborating on you're complaint, mabey the Mods and Admins will take into consideration what you said. Well put and good job, welcome aboard.

[quote name='Desbreko'][img]http://img125.imageshack.us/img125/3258/pancakebunnylo7.jpg[/img][/QUOTE]
[FONT="Verdana"][COLOR="DarkRed"]
Hmmm, this looks familar.

*searches the Caturday Thread*

I can't find it. It's like the picture I used just disappeared and reappeared in your post Des.:animesmil

But anyways in a general defense of the staff. They seem pretty laid back about a lot of things, but will generally just mod you for incoherency. I dunno, my experience anyway.

As for they state of OB, Like Indi pointed out, is really just up to user base themselves. The info kiosk doesn't really have that much traffic, but in my opinion is a sign that OB is in pretty good shape technically.

As for the theater and just putting my own twist to what Indi said. All the old RPs aren't going anywhere, because it would be simply tragic if all that hard work just one day disappeared. The best way for new RPs is just getting the word out. Inform all the people on OB and TheO who you think will remotely be interested in what would be going on in the Theater. Have ideas for your own RP? You are going to have to pitch it like it's the second coming of the internet:p[/COLOR][/FONT]

[quote name='Flyvapnet']I'd certainly appreciate less attitude and more collegiality from moderators. Asking for the rationale behind a censoring decision should produce a thoughtful response, not an arrogant "that's the rules, period" cliche followed by even more bossy malarkey. We're not employed here, but we choose to spend time here; hence, a modicum of respect should be forthcoming from those who represent the Web site.[/QUOTE]
[FONT=Arial]The main problem with the internet is that "attitude" is and will always be in the eye of the beholder. If a poster wishes to communicate attitude, that is one thing. But posters have no control over whether other members read attitude from their posts. In this light, it is usually good practice to assume someone responding to you is being courteous until it is succinct that they are not.

Some of us on staff are terse, and say only what needs to be said. Others are not. I am can be both. I'm also very blunt. And I'm quite certain that you are overreacting to a falsely perceived slight.

As far as rationale, the [URL="http://www.otakuboards.com/rules/OtakuBoards%3A%20Rules.html"][COLOR="Blue"]Forum Rules[/COLOR][/URL] actually contain rationale for their existence, and so when a moderator tells you "we don't allow ______ here, it's the rules," you should . . . . probably feel behooved to read them. (Hence the link in blue.) In your case, the removal of the download link was rationalised by the statement that download links to copyrighted material are not permissible here. There's really no thought necessary, because the thought was already explained in the rules.

I will be frank: my initial thought when reading your post was, [I]"how can this member have already made this type of judgment after having been on the site for less than two weeks?"[/I] And after a quick check and an objective survey, I'm quite certain (again) that the incident was handled professionally. There was no attempt to interrupt the conversation to point out an error, no attempt to make a member feel miserable for making an error. The error was simply mentioned, corrected, and nothing more was thought about it.

Furthermore, without providing any other instances for us to examine, you're essentially telling us that you've based your judgment of the entire staff of these boards off of one incident with one person, instead of watching and attempting to observe trends among individual staff members and the staff as a whole. With respect, that is hardly fair to anyone, including the involved moderator.

So while it may seem insensitive, I suggest that your complaint against the entire staff is premature. As a complaint against one incident, however, I recommend attempting resolution through private messages.[/FONT]

[quote name='Flyvapnet']I'd certainly appreciate less attitude and more collegiality from moderators. Asking for the rationale behind a censoring decision should produce a thoughtful response, not an arrogant "that's the rules, period" cliche followed by even more bossy malarkey. We're not employed here, but we choose to spend time here; hence, a modicum of respect should be forthcoming from those who represent the Web site.

:cool:

[B][COLOR="Red"]=^..^=[/COLOR][/B][/QUOTE]

[font=franklin gothic medium]Flyvapnet, I have not personally seen Mods dismiss a censoring decision on the basis of "that's the rules, period" - if you [i]do[/i] feel that someone has dismissed your question/complaint, please feel free to send me a PM.

I absolutely expect all Members to be respected by staff (and the opposite should be true as well). If something is censored or blocked or whatever, that Member has the right to know why and to ask about it.

Having said that, we [i]do[/i] have a pretty clear rules page and membership on OB is based around those rules. Checking the rules and FAQ pages may help a little in terms of understanding why some decisions are made.

Anyway, this seems to be the only legitimate complaint in this thread. Botar, I'm not really sure what the purpose is here... it almost seems like a joke thread or something. Rather than just having a catch-all thread where people whine about the state of things, I'd rather see people raise specific issues in their own threads where possible. It just makes things a lot easier to track and resolve. [/font]:catgirl: