OtakuBoards

Swine Flu

Raiha

[FONT="Arial"][quote name='Kenso'][COLOR=SeaGreen][SIZE=1][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Or at least for a year or two before everyone forgets about it. The hyped-up media crap about this annoys me. Needless to say, I'm not worried. Of course, the only time I've ever had the flu was the one time I got a frickin' flu shot, and that's about the only time I've been really sick, so I figure I'm good for this one, even if I am in AZ.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

I had begun to think that flu shots aren't as great as they are made out to be.

Twice I have gotten a flu shot; in Fall 2008 and the year before. Now while I do have seasonal allergies I have had the strangest allergic reactions ever since I had that first flu shot.

Swelling in my right hand causing pain similar to carpal tunnel syndrome, a swooshing sound in my right ear that lasted 4 or 5 months last year than finally went away. Not to mention the lymph nodes on the upper right portion of my body have been acting strange. I am considering these to be allergic reactions because the only thing that has any effect on them is Benadryl and I only found this out 3 weeks ago.

Both times the flu shot was given in my right arm. So I've decided, no more flu shots for me.

I would also like to point out that the person in that photo could do one simple thing to be on the cautious side: wear their glasses. Hanging them on your shirt collar is just not as useful. I'm assuming no contacts are in use.[/FONT]

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='DeathKnight'][color=crimson]To my horror, I just sneezed. I have also felt congestion in my sinuses. My throat could be described as "slightly scratchy."

All that is left now is for death to take me.[/color][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="darkorchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]Or a kleenex box. To deal with your allergies. Possibly some Benadryl.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Whiteblaze'][FONT="Arial"]

I had begun to think that flu shots aren't as great as they are made out to be.

Twice I have gotten a flu shot; in Fall 2008 and the year before. Now while I do have seasonal allergies I have had the strangest allergic reactions ever since I had that first flu shot.

Swelling in my right hand causing pain similar to carpal tunnel syndrome, a swooshing sound in my right ear that lasted 4 or 5 months last year than finally went away. Not to mention the lymph nodes on the upper right portion of my body have been acting strange. I am considering these to be allergic reactions because the only thing that has any effect on them is Benadryl and I only found this out 3 weeks ago.

Both times the flu shot was given in my right arm. So I've decided, no more flu shots for me.

I would also like to point out that the person in that photo could do one simple thing to be on the cautious side: wear their glasses. Hanging them on your shirt collar is just not as useful. I'm assuming no contacts are in use.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]That's probably a common occurrence. Most vaccinations work by infecting you with a dumbed down version of whatever they're supposed to prevent, which harasses your immune system into making antibiotics in preparation for when the real thing hits.

DeathKnight, I can only offer one thing to express my regret at your inevitable departure from the living:

[CENTER][YOUTUBE="The Leprechaun Brothers; Danny Boy"]OCbuRA_D3KU[/YOUTUBE][/CENTER][/FONT]

[FONT="Arial"][quote name='Ace'][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]That's probably a common occurrence. Most vaccinations work by infecting you with a dumbed down version of whatever they're supposed to prevent, which harasses your immune system into making antibiotics in preparation for when the real thing hits.
[/QUOTE][/FONT]

I kind of left out a few other things that have been going on with me and understated what I did mention here, but you're certainly right about my immune system's harassment.

They often say the benefit outways the risk, well, I say to them I'd rather just get sick with the flu than go through what I'm going through now.[/FONT]

• 2 weeks later...
I have discovered that:
The more I train in cold water with rain pelting on my head IN WINTER, the more I have become resistant to the colds and flu. Strange that. I haven't gotten the flu in ages.
Still, that doesn't mean I shouldn't be wary. Swine flu's in Australia.

I'll just drink more mocha & like Adam, eat more nachos.

• 3 weeks later...
I live about five miles from the Rio Grande, and my family owns some land very close to the river, which we go to often. We go to Mexico every now and then to buy things since it is cheaper there than in the US.
I am not worried about the swine flu, really. Swine flue came from bird flu, so in a way, we have slightly been exposed to it. The death rate is not that high in countries that have good health care systems. So, its just like getting sick. Of course, you have to be careful because you don't want to get sick and put your life in danger, but I don't think it needs to be the cause of stopping all travel plans or something.

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]The WHO has just announced that the Swine Flu, or H1N1 now deserves the title of pandemic.

But you wouldn't know that if you just read the normal headlines would you?

[URL="http://www.pandemicflu.gov/"]Voila[/URL][/FONT][/COLOR]

• 5 months later...
The swine flu is very scary indeed. My uncle and grandma had it for a while my uncle lost so much weight. he was sick for weeks and it began getting worse. Luckily it passed and he is feeling a lot better now. My grandma got pretty sick as well and ended up in the hospital:( shes still in there as well. This flu is nothing to joke about thats for sure....

• 1 month later...
Must share my swine flu close encounter story. I work at a private residential school and about two weeks ago the students were starting to get very sick. A few even hospitalized. I had to work right in the sick zone. A large number of staff got sick to varying degrees and finally one of the kids hspitalized came back as H1N1. Anyways, I take my usual 12 grams but one day all of a sudden I get really hot like a fever was starting so I loaded up a water bottle with the last of my c crystals I stored at work and I start taking 2 500mg tablets every half our. It was very strange, as though I could FEEL something trying to get hold. A couple of hot minutes, body slightly aching, you know the ache that when it begins you know the flu is going to sap you of all energy and make your bones ache. Well I start doubling my tablet intake every half hour. It would try to start up again....the heat, the threatening body ache then subside a little faster. Kind of like in waves and then headache began developing... (which I am not prone too) and which is a characteristic of swine. So the headache started close to home time and I went home and put a couple of heaping TBLSP in a glass and drank. Normally I would have been running back and forth to the bathroom with astronomical gas inbetween, but nothing happened at all except the headache lessened. Kept taking 1g to two 2g of c up til bed time which was early. Slept and woke up feeling as though I just got over something...not 100% but that feeling as though you've spent three days really sick and it's about the fifth day. Kept taking my usual 12g and extra tablets through out the day and it was over. I am POSITIVE I went through some mini swine with very little discomfort except the briefest spells and vitaming c pulled me through.

• 1 month later...