OtakuBoards

Swine Flu

Raiha

[quote name='Sangome'][SIZE="1"]Couldn't it have waited until, like, June? No one cares about June.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]
Those of us who are under the quarter system and have finals in June do care, actually. :P

Anyway, considering swine flu, I'm really not all too worried right now. Perhaps it's naive ignorance, but I see no reason to freak out (not yet, at least). As long as the flu itself is manageable somehow through easy means, I ain't scared. That doesn't mean I'm going to be an idiot about it though; I'll probably start washing my hands more and shaking others' less now just so I feel a bit more secure.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Miss Anonymous'] I'll probably start washing my hands more and shaking others' less now just so I feel a bit more secure.[/quote]

I'm glad somebody mentions the simple things everybody can do to help avoid becoming infected. The numbers bounce around everywhere, but the simple act of washing your hands cuts down transmission of these types of virus' anywhere from 30% to 85% (again depending on whose numbers you use, either way that's a nice cutback)

I'm just going to stay away from shady characters:shifty: and their dirty hands.

Why would anyone worry so much about this that they change their habits to avoid it, and yet won't do the same to avoid being struck by lightning or something else that's probably a good bit more likely?

[quote name='Hyperninja1']Practically I don't know when is the last time I washed my hands with soup ;;;;.[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]Somehow, I don't think washing your hands with soup is the best idea.

But that just could be me being old-fashioned.

:animesmil[/SIZE]

[quote name='Sangome'][SIZE="1"]Somehow, I don't think washing your hands with soup is the best idea.

But that just could be me being old-fashioned.

:animesmil[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]For shame, Gome. Soup is one of the most powerful cleansing agents known to man.

Lobster Bisque is like the Walker: Texas Ranger germ solution. It kills 100% of whatever the crap it wants.[/FONT]

[quote name='Ace'][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Lobster Bisque is like the Walker: Texas Ranger germ solution. It kills 100% of whatever the crap it wants.[/FONT][/quote]

The Chuck Norris of soups...dear lord let's just throw that at anyone who's infected with...well anything.

Did you know that Lobster Bisque is so tough, that under the bowl...there's just another fist, or pincher.

[color=royalblue][size=1]

I've had the flu maybe twice in my whole life that I can remember, one of which was in basic training, where hygiene is a luxury, and infectious diseases like pink eye and the cold spread like wildfire. So I'm not to concerned with catching this.

However, it has been recently brought to my attention that there have been two reported outbreaks in my state, in Newberry and Greenville, which are both about an hour or more drive away from my city. While I do live near the capital (urban sprawl) I'm not extremely concerned. My immune system is pretty strong and the military immunized me for every disease this side of the Nile river when I was in basic not six months ago.

[/color][/size]

[COLOR="Indigo"][FONT="Arial"]Well it's not confirmed yet, but we have nine probable cases here in Utah, including two in SLC. Oh joy. I don't plan on worrying over it, I'm just sighing at the inevitable result of it spreading. That and the reaction to shut down schools, though not mine since the two cases were not here at least. It's finals week so if they're going to do that, all I want is it to wait until [I]after[/I] I take the rest of my tests next week. [/FONT][/COLOR]

You can scratch out probable Crystia and change that to one confirmed case. At least for the Park City area. They're closing the schools in that area until the tenth. o_O They don't know about our area yet. I'm hoping they aren't cases of this flu, but I'm not going to hold my breathe either.

[quote name='chibi-master']Apparently, 'Swine Flu' sounds too scary. Now it's called by its scientific name, H1N1.[/quote]I doubt that's going to catch on. People are too used to stuff like this: [URL="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30503740/"][U]Flu tracking[/U][/URL] where you can see that everyone is calling it the swine flu.

I'm kind of getting tired of hearing about it. Yes it's good to be informed, but after a while, it gets old since you keep hearing the same stories again and again, just from different sources.

According to the news, there are now two probable cases in my area as well. No school closures as of yet. I suppose it was only a matter of time until it arrived. Still, as others have said, it is treatable so I'm not going to worry over it. I'm already cautious since I catch things easily so there isn't much else for me to do anyway.

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]One case reported in the dorms at my school but then again, I fail to see the fear I should be feeling. This might be because there were about 50 reported cases of syphillis at my campus and about 10 of mono. I'm more likely to get mono from sharing a drink than I am of getting the swine flu from someone coughing on me.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT="Arial"]Now I'm not saying that swine flu is not dangerous as people already know that you can die from it, but I think the media has blown this up way too much.

First off, under certain circumstances you can also die from the regular human influenza, pneumonia, and even the common cold.

Being that I reside in Houston, Texas and go to school in the Texas Medical Center, does raise reason to be a little more cautious, but there's no need to start getting all paranoid which I haven't seen yet, thank goodness. Though I do find it odd how I have not been sick the entire school year yet as I speak I am sick and trying to get over some cold or other.

Although two elementary schools have closed in the area due to confirmed cases, my younger brother's highschool may be closing later this week, and in church last Sunday a little boy stated his younger brother was home sick with swine flu, people aren't getting all panicked or anything. I personally would be more concerned if a child came down sick simply because of a lack of a developed immune system.

The news and other media to me are just giving people a reason to be paranoid. All you need to due is take care of yourself and if you get sick go see your doctor about treatment. That's all there is to it.[/FONT]

[FONT="Tahoma"][QUOTE=Whiteblaze][FONT="Arial"]Now I'm not saying that swine flu is not dangerous as people already know that you can die from it, but I think the media has blown this up way too much.

First off, under certain circumstances you can also die from the regular human influenza, pneumonia, and even the common cold.[/FONT][/QUOTE]I agree. On average the flu kills approximately 36,000 people a year. So though people have died from it, the current numbers are no where near that. However, that says nothing about whether or not it will keep spreading and actually become a real problem.

I find the hype in the media a tad annoying at times, but I can see why they would rather err on the side of caution. Fortunately, like you mentioned, most people are taking it calmly instead of panicking over it.

I only wish we didn't have 60 confirmed cases in my state now. =_= 18 in my area. I catch things so easily and I'd rather not get sick. [/FONT]

[quote name='Raiha'][COLOR=DarkOrchid][FONT=Times New Roman]But how cool would it be if you could say I SURVIVED THE SWINE FLU! I mean honestly that's like bragging rights for life.[/FONT][/COLOR][/quote]

[COLOR=SeaGreen][SIZE=1][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Or at least for a year or two before everyone forgets about it. The hyped-up media crap about this annoys me. Needless to say, I'm not worried. Of course, the only time I've ever had the flu was the one time I got a frickin' flu shot, and that's about the only time I've been really sick, so I figure I'm good for this one, even if I am in AZ.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

As much as you'd hope this image is only poking fun...

[CENTER][IMG]http://punditkitchen.files.wordpress.com/2000/12/political-pictures-fashion-sense.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]
Now that it's definitely confirmed in our area... I've been seeing interesting behavior from some people. I can understand masks but to almost freak when someone walks near them is a bit overboard.

[quote name='Rachmaninoff'][CENTER][IMG]http://punditkitchen.files.wordpress.com/2000/12/political-pictures-fashion-sense.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER][/QUOTE][size=1]I hope that person lives in my city, because I want to meet her and shake her hand.

Maybe with gloves on, if she's more comfortable with that.

But that is one fantastic get-up.[/size]

[FONT="Arial"]It's already where I live so other than to do what I normally do anyway, I don't plan on changing my habits. I've never been one to catch the flu so I'm not worried about it.

I tend to catch colds instead for some reason. [/FONT]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]Well now there's chatter about a 'second wave' coming which has the air of people desperately trying to frighten the public. [i][b]Again.[/b][/i] On the other hand Obama's own people have said that a crisis is a terrible thing to waste. So I guess a manufactured crisis would be just as good.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Raiha'][COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]Well now there's chatter about a 'second wave' coming which has the air of people desperately trying to frighten the public.[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]The hell is that even supposed to mean?

Is the Swine Flu now an all-consuming Tsunami of Doom or what?[/FONT]