Gavin Posted May 11, 2009 Posted May 11, 2009 [SIZE="1"][url=http://tech.uk.msn.com/news/article.aspx?cp-documentid=16646244][B]Article[/B][/url] *Sits back with umbrella and waits for Allamorph's head to explode*[/SIZE]
The Spectacular Professor Posted May 11, 2009 Posted May 11, 2009 [FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Webster is rolling in his grave. Now he's waking up. He's coming to kill Bill Gates for inventing the most convenient way to murder the English Language.[/FONT]
Skye Posted May 11, 2009 Posted May 11, 2009 [size=1][shoots self dead] I did not think one could further butcher the English language. I was sadly mistaken.[/size]
Rachmaninoff Posted May 11, 2009 Posted May 11, 2009 Well there you go, just the word to pick for the occasion! lol [I][SIZE="1"]*gets some popcorn and waits with Gavin for the show*[/SIZE][/I]
Cat Posted May 11, 2009 Posted May 11, 2009 *[B][/B]stands at a safe distance* I don't want any brain matter on me when Allamorph sees this. I will never acknowledge noob as a real word. Nope nope nope. :nope:
Rachmaninoff Posted May 11, 2009 Posted May 11, 2009 [QUOTE=Cat]*stands at a safe distance* I don't want any brain matter on me when Allamorph sees this. I will never acknowledge noob as a real word. Nope nope nope. :nope:[/QUOTE]Awww, don't do that, we'll get those huge sun umbrellas, lounging deck chairs and even start up a barbecue for the occasion. Just think of the fun we'll have watching people's heads explode. You don't even have to acknowledge it as a real word. Heh.
Cat Posted May 11, 2009 Posted May 11, 2009 Alright, I'll come to the little barbecue. Heads exploding is fun to watch. My nope smiley changed. The other one work better with what I said. Lemonade anyone?
Gavin Posted May 11, 2009 Author Posted May 11, 2009 [SIZE="1"]*Passes out summer clothing, sandals and various flavoured refreshments* Now if we could only find Des's kryptonite...[/SIZE]
Ikillion Posted May 11, 2009 Posted May 11, 2009 [quote name='Gavin'][SIZE="1"][url=http://tech.uk.msn.com/news/article.aspx?cp-documentid=16646244][B]Article[/B][/url][/SIZE][/QUOTE] [CENTER][IMG]http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/5716/trool.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]
Chaos Posted May 11, 2009 Posted May 11, 2009 This should've been done a decade ago. I would have loved to written English compositions on words derived from CounterStrike.
Horendithas Posted May 11, 2009 Posted May 11, 2009 [FONT="Arial"][COLOR="Indigo"][quote name='Gavin][SIZE="1"']Now if we could only find Des's kryptonite...[/SIZE][/quote]You mean you don't already know? It's pretty obvious. Here, I'll show you. [URL="http://img8.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mariyayoung04.jpg"]Click meh nao![/URL] That or you can mix Tsundere with anything he considers Moe. =P Anyway, it was only a matter of time before non-words like n00b were added. [/COLOR][/FONT]
Zen Posted May 12, 2009 Posted May 12, 2009 [color=royalblue][size=1] I actually think that slang terms are good for the English language because it allows it to advance. I mean, I could think of worse things being added, and it's a word used often in our language now a days.[/color][/size]
kamioMisuzu Posted May 12, 2009 Posted May 12, 2009 It could be worse. It's not as if it's not considered slang anymore. *shrug* I don't care much.
Haku877 Posted May 12, 2009 Posted May 12, 2009 As long as its not some word used for acronyms. Examples being something like "Fubar" on Left4Dead (********* up beyond all reason). I mean noob is a very common word used with gaming and normal life. I don't see this as bad, maybe just an advancement?
John Posted May 12, 2009 Posted May 12, 2009 [quote name='Article][IMG']http://estb.msn.com/i/FB/EB6EAEFDE7FB812263F1F1E5A6FED.jpg[/IMG][/quote] "I don't care [I]what[/I] it's about, we need to have an image accompanying every article. It doesn't matter what, just put something in there. Don't give me that look. Now go back to your desk and do it."
Drizzt Do'urden Posted May 12, 2009 Posted May 12, 2009 [quote name='Haku877'] Examples being something like "Fubar" on Left4Dead (********* up beyond all reason). I mean noob is a very common word used with gaming and normal life. I don't see this as bad, maybe just an advancement?[/quote] Fubar actually came about during WWII... *Stares at the rainbow* The more you know
Skye Posted May 12, 2009 Posted May 12, 2009 [size=1]I was gonna say, Fubar would be fine to include, seeing as so many people use it. Noob is just a stupid variation on newb, which is short for newbie, a.k.a. a new person. [shrugs] I don't really see the point in including the stupid thing. Anyone else notice Alla's lack of explosion? [was hoping to see it rain brains][/size]
chibi-master Posted May 12, 2009 Posted May 12, 2009 The erosion of the English language has left me in despair... *curls into a fetal position in corner and bawls*
Boo Posted May 12, 2009 Posted May 12, 2009 [size=1]If they are going to pull through with it, they should at least use zeroes for O's.[/size]
Haku877 Posted May 12, 2009 Posted May 12, 2009 [quote name='Drizzt Do'urden']Fubar actually came about during WWII... *Stares at the rainbow* The more you know[/QUOTE] Really now? I guess that is an interesting fact, I just never heard it till recently.
xxxscenekidxxx Posted May 12, 2009 Posted May 12, 2009 [quote name='Gavin'][SIZE="1"][url=http://tech.uk.msn.com/news/article.aspx?cp-documentid=16646244][B]Article[/B][/url] *Sits back with umbrella and waits for Allamorph's head to explode*[/SIZE][/QUOTE] what about newbe? and what is Allamorph?
Ellerby Posted May 12, 2009 Posted May 12, 2009 [FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DimGray"]Although newb could've been considered the "proper" spelling years ago, and everyone knows that the word derives from newbie, nobody says that anymore. Besides "newb" and "newbie" aren't actually words (therefore no proper spelling) either so in choosing "noob" to be a word (if this actually happens) they just used the most popular spelling of the word which is using two O's. Had they given it a few more years it might have been "nub" instead. If this article really upsets someone lulz will be had. It's not like noob is an abbreviation of something (like laugh out loud), it's just an quicker way of saying new or inexperienced player. It's totally legit.[/COLOR][/FONT]
xxxscenekidxxx Posted May 12, 2009 Posted May 12, 2009 [quote name='Lrb'][FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DimGray"]Although newb could've been considered the "proper" spelling years ago, and everyone knows that the word derives from newbie, nobody says that anymore. Besides "newb" and "newbie" aren't actually words (therefore no proper spelling) either so in choosing "noob" to be a word (if this actually happens) they just used the most popular spelling of the word which is using two O's. Had they given it a few more years it might have been "nub" instead. If this article really upsets someone lulz will be had. It's not like noob is an abbreviation of something (like laugh out loud), it's just an quicker way of saying new or inexperienced player. It's totally legit.[/COLOR][/FONT][/QUOTE] somebody told me once tho that a newb was a new player that was just learning a game and a n00b is someone who has been playing for long enough but still needs help like a newbe...
Ellerby Posted May 12, 2009 Posted May 12, 2009 [FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DimGray"][quote name='xxxscenekidxxx']somebody told me once tho that a newb was a new player that was just learning a game and a n00b is someone who has been playing for long enough but still needs help like a newbe...[/QUOTE] Strictly speaking video games, a noob or "newbie" is someone that's either new to the game or is so bad that they seem like they are new to the game. A player that is [i]actually[/i] new to the game can still be a noob, but if they aren't stupid (because noob really is meant to be an insult) they're just a lowbie (low level newbie).[/COLOR][/FONT]
John Posted May 12, 2009 Posted May 12, 2009 Dear most of you, 1) Recognizing a word officially doesn't mean it will suddenly gain common usage among highly-regarded literary works now and in the future. No sensible person ever defends their word usage with the phrase "it's in the dictionary". People use what words they want, and giving one the recognition of being a "real word" means nothing. 2) If you haven't noticed, English is already pretty messed up. For the most part, that's what gives it character and makes it endearing. 3) Language isn't sacred. People should use whatever words they want however they want to get their meaning across. If anything "corrupts" a language, it's resisting new developments as they come, which are natural and culturally beneficial. You're welcome, John
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now