OtakuBoards

'Noob' could be the millionth English word

Gavin

[QUOTE=Cat]*stands at a safe distance* I don't want any brain matter on me when Allamorph sees this.

I will never acknowledge noob as a real word. Nope nope nope. :nope:[/QUOTE]Awww, don't do that, we'll get those huge sun umbrellas, lounging deck chairs and even start up a barbecue for the occasion. Just think of the fun we'll have watching people's heads explode. You don't even have to acknowledge it as a real word. Heh.

[FONT="Arial"][COLOR="Indigo"][quote name='Gavin][SIZE="1"']Now if we could only find Des's kryptonite...[/SIZE][/quote]You mean you don't already know? It's pretty obvious. Here, I'll show you.

[URL="http://img8.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mariyayoung04.jpg"]Click meh nao![/URL]

That or you can mix Tsundere with anything he considers Moe. =P

Anyway, it was only a matter of time before non-words like n00b were added. [/COLOR][/FONT]

[color=royalblue][size=1]

I actually think that slang terms are good for the English language because it allows it to advance. I mean, I could think of worse things being added, and it's a word used often in our language now a days.[/color][/size]

As long as its not some word used for acronyms. Examples being something like "Fubar" on Left4Dead (********* up beyond all reason). I mean noob is a very common word used with gaming and normal life. I don't see this as bad, maybe just an advancement?

[quote name='Article][IMG']http://estb.msn.com/i/FB/EB6EAEFDE7FB812263F1F1E5A6FED.jpg[/IMG][/quote] "I don't care [I]what[/I] it's about, we need to have an image accompanying every article. It doesn't matter what, just put something in there. Don't give me that look. Now go back to your desk and do it."

[quote name='Haku877'] Examples being something like "Fubar" on Left4Dead (********* up beyond all reason). I mean noob is a very common word used with gaming and normal life. I don't see this as bad, maybe just an advancement?[/quote]

Fubar actually came about during WWII...

*Stares at the rainbow*

The more you know

[size=1]I was gonna say, Fubar would be fine to include, seeing as so many people use it. Noob is just a stupid variation on newb, which is short for newbie, a.k.a. a new person. [shrugs] I don't really see the point in including the stupid thing.

Anyone else notice Alla's lack of explosion? [was hoping to see it rain brains][/size]

[FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DimGray"]Although newb could've been considered the "proper" spelling years ago, and everyone knows that the word derives from newbie, nobody says that anymore.

Besides "newb" and "newbie" aren't actually words (therefore no proper spelling) either so in choosing "noob" to be a word (if this actually happens) they just used the most popular spelling of the word which is using two O's. Had they given it a few more years it might have been "nub" instead.

If this article really upsets someone lulz will be had. It's not like noob is an abbreviation of something (like laugh out loud), it's just an quicker way of saying new or inexperienced player. It's totally legit.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[quote name='Lrb'][FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DimGray"]Although newb could've been considered the "proper" spelling years ago, and everyone knows that the word derives from newbie, nobody says that anymore.

Besides "newb" and "newbie" aren't actually words (therefore no proper spelling) either so in choosing "noob" to be a word (if this actually happens) they just used the most popular spelling of the word which is using two O's. Had they given it a few more years it might have been "nub" instead.

If this article really upsets someone lulz will be had. It's not like noob is an abbreviation of something (like laugh out loud), it's just an quicker way of saying new or inexperienced player. It's totally legit.[/COLOR][/FONT][/QUOTE]

somebody told me once tho that a newb was a new player that was just learning a game and a n00b is someone who has been playing for long enough but still needs help like a newbe...

[FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DimGray"][quote name='xxxscenekidxxx']somebody told me once tho that a newb was a new player that was just learning a game and a n00b is someone who has been playing for long enough but still needs help like a newbe...[/QUOTE]
Strictly speaking video games, a noob or "newbie" is someone that's either new to the game or is so bad that they seem like they are new to the game. A player that is [i]actually[/i] new to the game can still be a noob, but if they aren't stupid (because noob really is meant to be an insult) they're just a lowbie (low level newbie).[/COLOR][/FONT]

Dear most of you,

1) Recognizing a word officially doesn't mean it will suddenly gain common usage among highly-regarded literary works now and in the future. No sensible person ever defends their word usage with the phrase "it's in the dictionary". People use what words they want, and giving one the recognition of being a "real word" means nothing.

2) If you haven't noticed, English is already pretty messed up. For the most part, that's what gives it character and makes it endearing.

3) Language isn't sacred. People should use whatever words they want however they want to get their meaning across. If anything "corrupts" a language, it's resisting new developments as they come, which are natural and culturally beneficial.

You're welcome,
John