OtakuBoards

David Carradine dead at 72

Korey

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]So one of my favorite all-time actors has passed away. David Carradine, known for his roles in TV such as his starring role in the 70s TV series [B]Kung Fu[/B] and most recently for his role as Bill in the [B]Kill Bill[/B] movies, was found dead in his hotel room.

[URL="http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/articles/1613257/story.jhtml"]http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/articles/1613257/story.jhtml[/URL]

The cause of his death isn't exactly mentioned. Some say it was a suicide, others say it was just of natural causes. Nothing has been confirmed yet. Like I mentioned, David Carradine was one of my all time favorite actors. I loved him has Bill in Kill Bill. He had so many awesome lines and he really made that movie for me. David Carradine took the character of Bill and made it his own. I don't think any other actor could have done that character as well as he did.

Before that was Kwai Chang Caine.... *OMGAWD*

If you haven't seen Kung Fu, then you don't really know how well he did. He "took" the role from Bruce Lee, but I don't think it really would have mattered if he did or not. Watching that series from beginning to end was the very beginning of Carradine's acting carreer. It was awesome, regardless of the production values of the show. It's what really spawned the "young grasshopper" stuff you hear.

The acting world will never be the same. :<[/FONT]

[SIZE="1"]I actually just logged back on to post a thread on this, seems you beat me to it Korey.

Quite sad to hear about his death, although I've never actually seen Kung Fu Carradine was certainly an actor with a great presence on-screen in what I had seen him in, and its certainly a sad loss to the film industry that his life has come to an end. [/SIZE]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]Well it's not like he was Heath Ledger or anything.

72 is old [er]. I'm not particularly sad though. He's in television and movies, so he's already immortal. And I'll always laugh when I remember his package shipping commercials. Yellow pages? I can't even remember now. But Kill Bill will live on, as will everything else he did. The man was great.

As to the cause of his death, I'm now vastly curious. They say he was found hanging in his hotel room by his neck. But they swear that the hanging was "natural causes." This begs the question. Is suicide a natural cause? Was he in the middle of some auto erotic asphyxiation? Did he panic? The articles say he was once suicidal but wanted to move on in life.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[size=1]And because I must.... [b]David Eddings, age 77.[/b] =[ Maketh me sad.

I have not seen Kill Bill. I shall have to watch it now simply so I will have something to talk about here.[/size]

[quote name='Raiha][COLOR=DarkOrchid][FONT=Times New Roman]Well it's not like he was Heath Ledger or anything.[/FONT'][/COLOR][/quote]

[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1][COLOR=DimGray]What's that supposed to mean?

[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]It means he wasn't young, boyishly handsome, and still looking forward to a life that contained a considerably longer space of time than the freshly departed.

And in Thai newspapers, the police call what happened to him 'death by kinky sex.' Which as deaths go, could be a lot worse.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]I'm sorry Raiha, but David Carradine will always be better than Heath Ledger. Sure, the Dark Knight perfomance was brilliant, but David Carradine has a much lengthier resume and in my honest opinion, David Carradine was a much better actor. So, while the legions of Ledger fangirls can mourn over the death of an actor who's best role happened to be his last one, Carradine's legacy is a little more well known. Kung Fu was a huge series and Kill Bill will ultimately go down as one of the best cult classics of our generation's time.

I'm not discounting Ledger's life. He had a long life ahead of him. But as far as acting resumes go, Carradine wins this bout.[/FONT]

[quote name='Raiha'][COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]It means he wasn't young, boyishly handsome, and still looking forward to a life that contained a considerably longer space of time than the freshly departed.

And in Thai newspapers, the police call what happened to him 'death by kinky sex.' Which as deaths go, could be a lot worse.[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

The rumor going around is that they found him hanging by his neck and also his "unmentionables". Whether this is true or not will remain to be seen, publicist will most likely cover that up to avoid his name being tarnished. Granted he's no Heathe Ledger but for those that knew his work outside of Kill Bill it was somewhat sad and disturbing news. A Man his age that was so successful killing himself seems unlikely and if it was a case of "kinky sex" that just makes his death way worse...considering he's a reputable actor.

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][RIGHT][FONT="Times New Roman"]Oh you're such a boob. I never said he was not as good as Heath Ledger. I said that he was older and as such his death wasn't quite as tragic. I was never a Heath Ledger fan because I, for some reason, prefer the slightly more edgy masculine manly types that aren't gay cowboys, makeup wearing cross dressing nurses, or pretend knights.

Good lord people, get a grip on yourselves.

I think it makes his death cooler because it a: wasn't a suicide and b: was recreational and involved a rope. Besides, sure he's 72, but plenty of older people know which end of a gun to put in their mouths. It's ignorant to assume he wouldn't figure out how to properly kill himself dead.[/FONT][/RIGHT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Raiha'][COLOR="DarkOrchid"][RIGHT][FONT="Times New Roman"]Oh you're such a boob. I never said he was not as good as Heath Ledger. I said that he was older and as such his death wasn't quite as tragic. I was never a Heath Ledger fan because I, for some reason, prefer the slightly more edgy masculine manly types that aren't gay cowboys, makeup wearing cross dressing nurses, or pretend knights.

Good lord people, get a grip on yourselves.

I think it makes his death cooler because it a: wasn't a suicide and b: was recreational and involved a rope. Besides, sure he's 72, but plenty of older people know which end of a gun to put in their mouths. It's ignorant to assume he wouldn't figure out how to properly kill himself dead.[/FONT][/RIGHT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

O.o What I wrote wasn't intended to offend or put you on on the spot or for that matter a flame. O.o; Nor do I think anyone was for that matter. I was just stating that he's less well known for his earlier works considering the age demographic of OB is generally 13-18, meaning most people here wouldn't know any of his work outside Kill Bill? Maybe you need to get a grip? O.o no sense blowing things out of proportion or defending yourself for something you weren't on trial for in the first place. :rolleyes:

[quote name='Rick Hunter']O.o no sense blowing things out of proportion or defending yourself for something you weren't on trial for in the first place. :rolleyes:[/quote]
[FONT=Arial]But that's what she lives for.

I found out about Carradine's death just after I found out that Conan O'Brien had taken over The Tonight Show, so I was already depressed enough. This is yet another big loss for the acting community. Carradine will be missed.

So will Jay.

Is it just me, or are we losing all the good ones lately?[/FONT]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]That and creme brulee.

To be honest, I really don't care what you think Rick about what I think of Heath Ledger, and half of what I said had absolutely nothing to do with you. This may be a shock but you're not quite that important to me.

Also Al, we lose everyone eventually because the majority of the ones being lost are all at the right age. Cyclical. You'll get over it. In time nobody will even remember they're dead, there will just be the truth of the signal.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Arial]
I found out about Carradine's death just after I found out that Conan O'Brien had taken over The Tonight Show, so I was already depressed enough. This is yet another big loss for the acting community. Carradine will be missed.

So will Jay.

Is it just me, or are we losing all the good ones lately?[/FONT][/QUOTE]

You don't watch TV much I'm guessing? It is a big loss considering the amount of good old action stars that know Kung Fu is few and far between. Especially the American based actors. As for Jay well he's not dead more like his career, if his new show this fall fails in the ratings system. :p

But like every year we lose a lot of old reputable actors it's just in this particular case his death and circumstances involving his death are peculiar. Certainly not the way he would of wanted to die if it's true that he did die due to "Kinky Sex", certainly not the way I would want to go out or be remembered for.

[quote name='Raiha'][COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]
To be honest, I really don't care what you think Rick about what I think of Heath Ledger, and half of what I said had absolutely nothing to do with you. This may be a shock but you're not quite that important to me.
[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

:animeswea It's not like i would lose sleep over it so no biggie. Don't get so bent out of shape over something that silly, this is only the internet. :animesigh Once again if I offended you it wasn't my intention. Not trying to win any popularity contest here just really don't see a need for the animosity over something like this? :confused:

[font=franklin gothic medium]It's very sad to hear about David Carradine. It's always sad when someone you admire and respect passes away.

I'm not sure I really understand the comparisions to Heath Ledger though. Surely the deaths of both men are tragic - does the weight of one resume make the other life less valuable? I don't think so.

As far as [i]how[/i] he died, I can't say that I particularly care (and frankly I feel that it's none of my business anyway). It is just a shame that if he has died in an "embarassing" way, this will be the final memory of him that people carry with them. That in itself is disappointing.[/font]