OtakuBoards

Villains you can't help but like -- Video Game edition

Sangome

[SIZE="1"][FONT="Microsoft Sans Serif"][COLOR="#862A51"]Inspired by [URL="http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=60709"]Gavin's thread here[/URL], it's basically the same concept, just in video game flavor. Hooray!

So to start things off, one of my absolute favorite villains in a game is [spoiler]Dahlia Hawthorne[/spoiler] in [I]Phoenix Wright: Trials and Tribulations[/I]. She is an absolutely deplorable human being, [spoiler]her crimes including poisoning/attempting to poison at least four people, three of which succeeded [though one of THOSE came back from a several-year-long-coma to whoop butt, and another was essentially goaded into poisoning [I]himself[/I]], stole her father's precious gem in order to flee with her "lover", who she also set up [with his input, granted] to make it look like an abduction, THEN staged a suicide to let HIM take the blame...while he went on to poison himself, as mentioned earlier. She also sent her sister to pose as herself, as Phoenix's girlfriend [though Iris wound up falling in love with him and was genuinely sweet. D'aww].[/spoiler]

Oh, but the fun doesn't stop there: [spoiler]She also was in on a plot to assassinate Maya [who is technically her blood relative] just to get revenge on Mia for getting her a guilty verdict, THEN later goes on to take control of Maya's body to properly disguise herself as Iris, so she'd get the blame for a murder she did not commit. All this while Dahlia herself was [B]dead[/B].[/spoiler]

So then why do I like her so much? Perhaps it's because I've always had a fascination with her character type, trying to deconstruct their mindset in an attempt to figure out why they did what they did. I may have also pitied her somewhat, considering how her [spoiler]parents essentially didn't want her[/spoiler], but I dunno. She's just so freakishly evil and batcrap insane, easily one of the most evl characters I've encountered in a game, ever. I just can't help but like her. She is a terrible human being, definitely deserving [spoiler]what she got in the end[/spoiler], and definitely a master at what she does [[spoiler]giving off a delicate, frail persona to throw people off, which probably just adds to how utterly messed up she is[/spoiler]], but she's just fascinating and terrifying.

Anyway, now that I'm done assaulting you with a wall of text and spoilers, it's your guys's turn.[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][CENTER][URL="http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n72/Aceburner85/matt-trueselfb.gif"][COLOR="Blue"]This slimy bastard right here. (Phoenix Wright 2 spoiler)[/COLOR][/URL][/CENTER]

Dunno what it is about him. Maybe it's the fact that [spoiler]half the case you actually believe he's innocent, or how he strings you along pretending to be a lovable surfer dude oaf, or how he has the nerve to sit there in Detention, swirling a glass of Champagne that he just whipped out of hammerspace and laughing at your futile efforts to get him convicted. Honestly, the an would have totally gotten away with it, too, if he didn't get the bright idea of trying to blackmail his assassin.[/spoiler]

Don Paolo from the [I]Professor Layton[/I] series also gets a special mention after [I]Diabolical Box,[/I] in which [spoiler]he somehow manages to convincingly disguise himself as a girl who's a full head shorter than him and several times less bulky.[/spoiler][/FONT]

This will come as a surprise to no one who knows me on theO, but [spoiler]Damon Gant[/spoiler] from Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney.

Thing is, [spoiler]Gant[/spoiler] is so fun and entertaining in the beginning, and even after you start to learn that [spoiler]he's a bit of a devious-minded feller[/spoiler] YOU STILL LIKE HIM! (Or at least in my case I did.) All the way towards the end I was still all "hahah oh you" even though I knew [spoiler]he tried to blame the murder of Neil Marshall on Ema and subsequently used Lana, not to mention totally screwed up Angel Starr and Jake Marshall's lives... oh and he also killed Bruce Goodman.[/spoiler] It doesn't matter, I just like the guy. And his theme. Oh gosh, I had that stuck in my head for such a long time after that case.

Another video game villain that I like is [spoiler]Ovan[/spoiler] from .hack//G.U. It's funny how the creators managed to get it where you like him at first, then after a certain point you're all "omgwtf i haet u" THEN (although this only happened to some) by the end you like him again. It's a funny rollercoaster of love and hate there. Other factors include [spoiler]him being the former leader of the Twilight Brigade, the guild that I just love to death[/spoiler] and [spoiler]he has a lot of memorable boss fights. Most of G.U. was pretty darn easy for me, but man that last fight in Redemption was amazingly hard in a good way.[/spoiler]

The villian I love the most comes from a fighting game. Of course there are a lot of villians to love in fighting games but this one really stands out to me because of the his cool finishing move. The one Im speaking of is Ultimate Rugal from Capcom vs. SNK 2. He is smug and rich. He "collects" things that interest him a lot. He is also in possession of something called Evil Energy. This power is what drives him to be great and better than all others. To become Ultimate he had to absorbthe Dark Power from Akuma. He did it by stabbing Akuma with his hand and just draining that mug. I thought it was beast wathcing that.....until I had to fight this guy!!!! he was moving so fast and blocking everything I threw at him. It took me a lot fo tries to finally figure him out. And just as Im about to kill him, he starts to glow and stabs me with his hand and then this green energy just starts stiking me like lightning. I was dead within seconds. But once I beat him I could harness his power for my own and so I have. He is now in my stable of fighters to kill just about anyone.

[IMG]http://media.strategywiki.org/images/8/8a/CVS_Ultimate_Rugal.jpg[/IMG]

[COLOR=Green][SIZE=1]Hm... Well, I suppose this depends on how tightly you define "villain." If that definition includes "being manipulated by a major villain to stand against the heroes, whether by or against one's will," then my favorite would be [spoiler]Leon Magnus, from Tales of Destiny. I've rambled about why I love him as much as I do before, so I'll save myself some typing and link to it. [/spoiler][/SIZE][/COLOR][spoiler][URL]http://www.theotaku.com/worlds/timber/view/57113/irony_of_fate/[/URL][/spoiler][COLOR=Green][SIZE=1]

Now, if you don't include that, then I'd have to say [spoiler]Van Grants, or Vandesdelca Musto Fende, from Tales of the Abyss. I'm not sure why I like Van. He's the kind of character I usually click with, an intellectual who rebels against society and tries to get it to follow suit, but he had a really extremist way of going about things. Cloning an entire planet and destroying the original, just to get rid of a prophecy? Well... I guess you have to go beyond the surface for it to start making sense. People will latch onto an idea that they like and that seems to work, and they will not let go. No matter how stupid the idea ends up in the end, they'll still cling to it like it's their job. Van saw the foolishness in that, and tried to get people to accept a new idea. And when that didn't work, he tried using force. Sometimes, the best you can do is just scrap everything and start over from the beginning. Sometimes, that's the only way. But, when it comes to an entire planet's mindset, that's probably not the best idea, and that's where I stop seeing eye to eye with him. But I still understand where he's coming from, and where he's going.
He had good ideals, and admirable goals. He was a good leader, and a charismatic man. He's somebody I would have enjoyed having as a boss, commander, teacher, or what have you. He's somebody that, even though he was a villain, I feel like if you had gone to him for advice with a problem, he would have done everything that he could to help you out. His heart was in the right place, but he had a painfully cynical outlook on human nature. But, I suppose, given the world where he grew up, and how he was used for scientific experiments and was forced to destroy his home country when he was young, can you really blame him?
Plus, he's got superpowered facial hair. What's not to like about that?[/spoiler]
[/SIZE][/COLOR]

I thought of another villian that I liked in a video game. Seymour Guado from Final Fantasy X. He was never an easy foe to beat because of his stupid immunities. I loved that he was so smug no matter what the situation...even if he was losing. He made it seem like he was the best darn thing to happen to Spira. He also had super cool hair....which was awesome. Wish I had hair like that.

[IMG]http://www.studentsoftheworld.info/sites/jeux/img/426_seymour%20presentation.jpg[/IMG]

• 4 weeks later...
How come no one has brought up Kefka Pallazo. He is pretty darn crazy. I mean sure he [spoiler] screws up most the world and kills countless people [/spoiler] but the laugh just make me feel like "Well.....he is pretty crazy." Maybe its just me.

[SIZE=1][B]Kane [/B]from the Command & Conquer series. Always good for a laugh with his megalomania and you never do manage to kill him regardless of how many times you hit him with an Ion Cannon (which to be honest is rather odd). His backstory [spoiler]the possibility he was the original Cain[/spoiler] goes rather well with the quasi-religious nature of NOD itself.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Humaru']I thought of another villian that I liked in a video game. Seymour Guado from Final Fantasy X. He was never an easy foe to beat because of his stupid immunities. I loved that he was so smug no matter what the situation...even if he was losing. He made it seem like he was the best darn thing to happen to Spira. He also had super cool hair....which was awesome. Wish I had hair like that.

[IMG]http://www.studentsoftheworld.info/sites/jeux/img/426_seymour%20presentation.jpg[/IMG][/quote]

I loved how he seemed like a pretty reasonable guy up until you find out his plan to save the world involved [spoiler]killing ever last living thing.[/spoiler]

• 5 weeks later...
[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][COLOR=navy]I always thought Saren from Mass Effect was pretty cool (and I don't think I need to hide his name, considering you know he's evil from the beginning). Even though his motives are eventually revealed to be rather cowardly, one must admit that his character just screams "badass". Turians in general seem to have that quality... but Saren especially.[/COLOR][/FONT]

It may not be the most intricate or well defined charicter but i always liked [B]Ganondorf[/B]/Ganon
[IMG]http://i619.photobucket.com/albums/tt278/PandasQ/villain-game5_1475603c.jpg[/IMG]
the guy may not be all that deep, but in almost every game he is in he usually gets the upper hand and sculpts the world with his hate, plunging a once peaceful(ish) place into a world of darkness.

[quote name='CaNz']It may not be the most intricate or well defined charicter but i always liked [B]Ganondorf[/B]/Ganon
[IMG]http://i619.photobucket.com/albums/tt278/PandasQ/villain-game5_1475603c.jpg[/IMG]
the guy may not be all that deep, but in almost every game he is in he usually gets the upper hand and sculpts the world with his hate, plunging a once peaceful(ish) place into a world of darkness.[/quote]

I like that in Wind Waker they actually gave him a reason for wanting to rule Hyrule so much.

[quote name='Xyandar']I think the coolest villain from a video game is Liquid Snake from the Metal Gear Solid series. Its purely because of storyline because its just such a detailed game.[/QUOTE]

[size=1][color=navy]I don't know Liquid all that much outside of what I saw in MGS2. (I gotta play MGS1) I'm more of a Ocelot fan, especially when he was young. The flashy gun twirling sold me lol.

But then again, I like almost all the villains in the MGS series. I suppose the one that stands out the most to me is The Boss. I'm not going to even mention anything about her character/personality because her name speaks for herself. Outside of Legretta (Tales of the Abyss) I'm officially afraid of this woman. Every time I fight her, she makes me her ***** and I can't do a thing about it but accept it because I suck in CQC >_>[/size][/color]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Personally, I think one of the most likable things about Ganondorf is the fact that he never really needs to be fleshed out too much. Most of the games feature him as a designated baddie with a generic motivation and not much backstory, and it never really hurts his character as much as it probably should. You go through most of the game not knowing much about him other than he's green and he's after the throne, but gosh darnit if you don't get chills when you enter that final boss room and see him lounging in that throne or playing that organ, wearing that cocky smirk that just dares you to make his day.

His entire impact as a villain is based on how much of a smug, condescending bastard he is. It's a true testament to Nintendo that they can pull it off so well every time, and of course he's every bit as intimidating in [B]Windwaker[/B], when he actually is given some character development.[/FONT]

[quote name='Magus'][size=1][color=navy]I don't know Liquid all that much outside of what I saw in MGS2. (I gotta play MGS1) I'm more of a Ocelot fan, especially when he was young. The flashy gun twirling sold me lol.[/size][/color][/QUOTE]

lol yeah play MGS 1 and you'll see alot more into Liquid Snakes storyline. Its amazing if you understand all of it lol. I must agree when i first posted mine i had a hard decision between Liquid Snake and Ocelot because he is definitely an awesome character lol hes got crazy gun skills hes cocky and he also has a sweet storyline.

• 3 weeks later...
[quote name='pax et agape']I think I may have found a new favorite.

Dr. Cid from Final Fantasy XII

[IMG]http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/finalfantasy/images/e/ef/Ffxii-cid.jpg[/IMG]

There is just something about the bravado of a mad scientist.[/quote]

[SIZE="1"]As awfully pretentious as the dubbing was in that game sometimes, I have to admit that Cidolfus was a treat to encounter although I suppose that was to be a given, given he was [spoiler]Balthier's father[/spoiler].[/SIZE]

[FONT="Microsoft Sans Serif"][SIZE="1"]Okay, we've had three FF villains in here thus far, I think it's time for someone to mention the big kahuna.

[CENTER][IMG]http://i48.tinypic.com/1hn6e.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

Yeah yeah yeah, Sephiroth. I went there. Give me grief all you want, but I still legitimately think he's a good villain, and an even better good guy.

I will say this, though: I wholeheartedly despise how Square continues to derail him from a cool villain to, as my friend put it, an emo bleeding heart poet. It's really rather insulting. :/[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Sangome'][FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][SIZE=1]Okay, we've had three FF villains in here thus far, I think it's time for someone to mention the big kahuna.

[center][IMG]http://i48.tinypic.com/1hn6e.jpg[/IMG][/center]

Yeah yeah yeah, Sephiroth. I went there. Give me grief all you want, but I still legitimately think he's a good villain, and an even better good guy.

I will say this, though: I wholeheartedly despise how Square continues to derail him from a cool villain to, as my friend put it, an emo bleeding heart poet. It's really rather insulting. :/[/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

I haven't played any of the games with him in him so, tempted as I am, I can't legitimately give you grief. I will say he has an awesome theme song, though.

Wouldn't a one winged angel fly in a circle?

"Catch me if ya can!"
"Um... your flying in a circle"
"OH NO!"

And I personally loved Axel from Kingdom Hearts.
He's a Villian, right?

[IMG]http://th08.deviantart.net/fs11/300W/i/2006/201/e/7/Kingdom_Hearts_2___Axel_by_CrossWound.jpg[/IMG]

• 2 weeks later...
[SIZE="1"][COLOR=#35425e]All this talk about MGS and none about that legendary battle with [b]Psycho Mantis[/b].

Mantis [spoiler]hacks your tv, your controller and your save files[/spoiler]. Pure magic, I tell you! Three times better than Naomi's "massage". His background story was also unique, especially the part where he becomes the twisted little thing that he is. This might sound corny, but the second time I played MGS, I only felt sorry for him.

And let's not forget: he's fodder for MGS parodies. [spoiler][i]"You like men!"[/i][/spoiler][/COLOR][/SIZE]