OtakuBoards

mOBile

Shy

[font=franklin gothic medium]I've been wanting to do a mobile version of OB for years, but as far as I know, vB itself hasn't had anything available.

I'll talk to Des and Pete about this, it might be something we can look at.[/font]

[COLOR=Blue]There is technically a "mobile" version built in to vBulletin but its features are rather limited. If all you're interested in is viewing the content of the site, take a look at [url]http://www.otakuboards.com/archive/index.php[/url]. Be sure to click the PDA link at the top of a forum listing to sort it in terms of the most recent threads.

As for actually posting from a mobile device? This built in archive won't let you do it and I'm not aware of anything official that lets you.
[/COLOR]

[font=franklin gothic medium]So as Petie said, it looks like we can do this (and we will soon have a prominent link for this).

We can do it so that it sorts correctly without you needing to click that link (thanks Petie).

Good formatting suggestion for the name too, Shy. :catgirl:[/font]

[COLOR=Blue]Just remember that the pages you see while using this version of the site are read-only meaning that you will not be able to post while browsing the archive.

The other problem which I'm currently trying to fix (with no luck at the moment) is that the archive does not show the most recent posts (posts from the last few days in this case). I'll keep you all updated with my progress on that front.

[B]Edit:[/B] I seem to be mistaken about which threads the archive displays as a brand new thread just appeared there even though about 6 others are mysteriously missing...
[/COLOR]

[COLOR=Blue]I'd agree except that there's no setting to control how often the archive updates. I looked at the code and nothing in it suggests that it should not be displaying live data (which it is, to a certain extent, as I've seen just posted threads show up in the archive).
[/COLOR]

[font=franklin gothic medium]Yeah, I'm not entirely sure why it isn't showing everything. Is there a common link between the threads that aren't being displayed? (i.e. a certain type of thread is ommitted?)

I think it's important to note that this feature has always been a part of OB and is part of every vB forum. It's just that we have moved the link to a more prominent location for people who are using mobile devices.[/font]

• 2 weeks later...
[COLOR=Blue]Well, I did a little playing with the archive code and the database and figured out the issue. It wasn't that certain content wasn't being displayed or was out of date, it was just sorting in an odd order. I updated the page to sort by the time of last post instead of whatever it was sorting on before and everything seems to be right now. Let me know if you notice anything missing/not working though.
[/COLOR]

[quote name='Rachmaninoff'][FONT=Trebuchet MS]That seems to have done the trick, the threads that seemed to be missing are now showing like they should. So thanks for taking another look. :)[/FONT][/quote]
[COLOR=Blue]Oh, the wonders of being bored in class...[/COLOR]

[quote name='Petie'][COLOR=Blue]Um... uh... Look over there! *points, then runs away*[/COLOR][/quote]

[SIZE=1]God damn it, if you make me catch you it makes it something worth doing and I'm against doing worthwhile things online!
[/SIZE]

[FONT="Trebuchet MS"][quote name='Petie][COLOR=Blue']Oh, the wonders of being bored in class...[/COLOR][/quote]And one of the reasons I bothered to ask. Gives me something to do if I have spare time.

Also, keep at it until you force Gavin to stop being so lazy and actually follow up on his threat. Though I don't see that happening anytime soon. He's [I]wa[/I]y too lazy for that. :D[/FONT]

[quote name='Rachmaninoff'][FONT=Trebuchet MS]Also, keep at it until you force Gavin to stop being so lazy and actually follow up on his threat. Though I don't see that happening anytime soon. He's [I]wa[/I]y too lazy for that. :D[/FONT][/quote]
[COLOR=Blue]*briefly reappears to coax Gavin into being un-lazy and then disappears again*[/COLOR]

• 7 months later...
[font="Palatino Linotype"]I thought I'd just quickly update this topic to ask anyone if they've tried using the new mOBile skin on their phone? This skin actually came with our IPB software and it's a little more clever than the old one we had on OB (for one thing, OB should now detect that you're using a mobile device and default to that skin and, for another, you can actually create posts on your mobile device where you couldn't before).

Also, on that note, I have been thinking about purchasing a special layout that is specifically designed for iPhone, iPod touch and iPad. It's a completely customised design that would make OtakuBoards look and function like a proper native app. Any interest in that? It's not something I'm thinking of doing right away, but I would like it to be an option in the near future.
[/font]