OtakuBoards

Dirty People.

visualkei

I just got done screaming at the top of my lungs when I opened the fridge and saw a plastic bag of chicken or something leaking blood all over the glass in our fridge. Then I see this plate of uncovered raw shrimp and basked in the smell of it as it covers anything that used to be fresh within. I was pissed.

I just do not understand what is so freakin' difficult about understanding sanitation. What is so hard about putting flesh dripping meat into a ziplock bag before sticking it into the fridge? How about putting it on a saucer or bowl so that blood doesn't get all over the place? Or putting plastic wrap over a pile of shrimp in the fridge so that everything in the fridge doesn't taste like shrimp. What is so hard?! WHAT IS SO HARD ABOUT THAT?!?!?! In the end, it's me who has to clean up this mess that could've been prevented in the simplest way. It seems that no matter how many times I ask the mother to stop doing things like this, she does it still. Why? Probably to save from washing a bowl or using a foot of plastic wrap! Last summer my sister and I gave our fridge a car wash practically, and no matter how many times I cleaned the glass, stinky liquid kept dripping out of the cracks of the plastic framing it.

This leads me back to a post where Lunox mentions that her family doesn't use the dishwasher, and it got me started on our parents being raised in the jungle somewhere where they probably had to do laundry in a river. My parents literally grew up in huts in 'Nam during wars, so being raised in the states wasn't typical for me. But, it's been decades since then, and we live in a fine house, but some of their habits drive me insane, and I think depreciates the house. I don't care if you've been raised in a third world country, you should know better than to put bloody flesh all over the place. Damn!!!!!

The point of this thread is for you to tell me about who it is that you live with that does "that" annoying dirty thing. What is it? Do they wash your clothes with their underwear? Leave dishes in the sink 'til it molds? Never ever clean their bathroom? (Room mate horror stories welcomed.) Are YOU the annoying dirty person that people hate to live with? You can also mention the dirty habit that you can't escape.

A certain relative of mine *coughsistercough* seems to find some sort of sick joy in leaving piles of dirty laundry all over the freaking bathroom. I don't understand how a girl that complains so much about not having enough clothes to wear is able to leave roughly five piles of them all over the bathroom floor with heights that reach up to my knees! WTF?!

[color=deeppink]I find a lot of what people call "being clean" really is really either adherence to organizational norms or vanity. As such, there are a lot of times where I just don't give a ****.

My desk, for instance, is always messy in the sense that there's never a bare spot, but unlike torrents of chicken blood this isn't hurting anything. I don't really lose things that often and if I do, it's rarely because of lack of a perceptible order.

I know several people who refuse to wear a wrinkled shirt or pants, because "wrinkles mean they're dirty." I, however, have no problems wearing a shirt that looks like it was made out of a turkey's neck.
[/color]

My roomate is the dirtiest person in the world hes 4 years older than me and i have to tell him to clean his room and i tell him to every time he comes home from work and he still doesnt. i swear ive seen wrappers and dishes in there for the past 6 months its disgusting ive never seen anyone thats that bad... and never showers either ugh.... i mean hes a good friend of mine but damn he needs to smarten up..

[FONT="Trebuchet MS"]I tend to keep everything nice and organized. I allow a little clutter but that's about it. A couple of my brothers are on the messy side though. The one thing they do that drives me nuts is toss fast food wrappers into the back seat of the car and just leave them there. So when I go to borrow the 'family' car so I can do errands, I end up cleaning it up since it's just nasty. Once I get my own car, I imagine that one will end up filling up with wrappers to the point that you can't see out the back window. =P[/FONT]

I agree with Nerdsy in that being clean by "a lot" of people often refers to organization or vanity. But I think that these people are usually teens/young adults that have parents who mop floors for them or scrub their tub for them. So to them, unclean is the little mess they make that mom and dad didn't put up for them. They don't realize what clean is until they live by themselves or with some other slob. When you become a competent adult, or the cleanliness is just in your blood, you'll know.

I don't think most adults consider a disorganized work space or unironed shirt unclean.

Me? I'm messy. Because of my work, I have a tendency to leave papers..... everywhere. But I don't consider my messiness dirtiness because I can just easily stack/reorganize my mess, it doesn't mold, kill, smell, or stick.

[B]Xyandar[/B], what is up with roomates? Half of the roomates I've had in college were absolute slobs! I wasn't perfect, but geez! The dirtiest thing my roomate ever did was.....

Gave her boyfriend a haircut in our bathroom. She didn't clean it up. Left the apartment for Thanksgiving break right afterwards without cleaning up the mess! Her boyfriend wandered into our bedroom, and ofcourse I didn't realize this until I got home from school and decided to do some sit ups on the carpet, and my back was extra itchy. Looked around and noticed the gobs of hair camouflaged into the carpet! Then found the little suprise left in that bathroom. I DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW SOME PEOPLE CAN THINK THAT'S ACCEPTABLE!!!!!

I heart Nerdsy as well. We have an obsession with cleanliness that borders at times to insanity.

For example, the immune system is strongest when it has the most exposure to micro-organisms possible. That is how it becomes immune to them. By washing our hands all the time we are directly infringing upon this, not to mention that then the micro-organisms evolve and can no longer be destroyed by what so easily destroyed them before.

Same applies with bathing often.

We do the same with our scent. When we were not where we are now, the scent of another person was very important. It still is important. Of course, today we know about pheromones. A person's body odor, in a certain way, can be very enjoyable. You have to approach it with an open enough mind: think you are like the dog, who does not put his nose up at any smell except in curiousness and such a specific sensual delight as is beyond us but has only compare in how we see.

I can see where our cleanliness obsessions come from, though. It's like over-expression and use of the symbolic circuit. We manipulate artifacts in reality and have a certain view of organization that isn't so different from termites.

That said, there is a certain level of organization in society that is necessary (you have to accept what it is and face it), and a certain degree of cleanliness and such that is completely necessary too.

When you think about it, one person's disorganization is another's organization; and one person's organization is another's disorganization. We all have different ideas of what organization and cleanliness even means. It could be said that these words are so often used in a colloquial and too personalised sense that they become meaningless: one might as well explain what one means by the words instead of using them at all.

One thing I can agree with the OP about is how lazy people can be sometimes. I literally have done the dishes for 5 people, including myself, for so long I can't remember. We recently had Thanksgiving. I helped much with the cooking. The least I expected was for the people enjoying the meal I worked so hard to make to clean up the dishes.

Two days later, and my boyfriend's mom, who helped make the meal, is cleaning it up. Everyone else is just sitting down. Frustrating.

I get tired of feeling like I'm martyring myself. I don't just do the dishes around here. When I'm not caregiving for my boyfriend I've been doing a lot of work. I'm trying to get this house cleaned, but the thing is I can't do it alone. Everyone has to pitch in. I pull my weight around here and more. If no one is willing to help with cleaning up here, then it's not going to get done.

[quote name='visualkei']

This leads me back to a post where Lunox mentions that her family doesn't use the dishwasher, and it got me started on our parents being raised in the jungle somewhere where they probably had to do laundry in a river. [/QUOTE]

[font=trebuchet ms] I hope you don't think I hate that my parents do that or something.[/font]

[quote name='Aiwass']I get tired of feeling like I'm martyring myself. I don't just do the dishes around here. When I'm not caregiving for my boyfriend I've been doing a lot of work. I'm trying to get this house cleaned, but the thing is I can't do it alone. Everyone has to pitch in. I pull my weight around here and more. If no one is willing to help with cleaning up here, then it's not going to get done.[/QUOTE]

I know what you mean. Being clean is somewhat of a double-edged sword. When you want to be clean, you automatically do what it takes to get the place liveable. But because of that, the slobs that live with you get the luxury of having someone clean up after them and get used to it, so they don't learn to clean for themselves. Some people don't notice what a slob they are until the clean person moves out, and the place becomes a mess.

When I lived with roomates, I found myself to be the one cleaning up all the time, then I just gave up because it seemed like no one cared. Did my roomates realize what a mess the place became? You'd think so, but no. They just continued being slobs, and washing their dishes once a week because they liked the mold so much. Some people don't notice what a slob they are until the clean person stops cleaning, and let me add that some people are either oblivious or just don't care.

And no, [B]Lunox[/B]. What I meant was that I understood their habits from "medieval" times, but some habits are not convenient in the modern home that we live in.

Hmmm for me I'd say the husband... and previously, before he got his orders and left out for Germany, our roommate.

Biggest complaint I have is the leaving of clothes in random places all over the apartment. I keep reminding my husband we have two male cats who still need to be snipped as it were, eventually if we can't get it done soon, their gonna zero in on his clothes and his uniforms are gonna have that scent of cat pee that doesn't go away.

Before he left our roommate was doing that as well as leaving dishes in every random place possible in our livingroom. Or when he chose to use a jug of tea as an ash tray and left it without the lid on sitting on my floor filled with cig butts and tea... Came downstairs after I woke up and found it, was half tempted to pour it out on him upstairs in his room to get my point accross. After he woke up he complained that I got rid of his "ashtray." I told him to shove it. ^_^

I can say though the hubby does help out here and there... just kinda annoying when he can't seem to grasp picking up after himself right away vs waiting for me to ask. Yeah I clean up around here everyday because of that.

[quote name='visualkei']I agree with Nerdsy in that being clean by "a lot" of people often refers to organization or vanity. But I think that these people are usually teens/young adults that have parents who mop floors for them or scrub their tub for them. So to them, unclean is the little mess they make that mom and dad didn't put up for them. They don't realize what clean is until they live by themselves or with some other slob. When you become a competent adult, or the cleanliness is just in your blood, you'll know.

I don't think most adults consider a disorganized work space or unironed shirt unclean.

Me? I'm messy. Because of my work, I have a tendency to leave papers..... everywhere. But I don't consider my messiness dirtiness because I can just easily stack/reorganize my mess, it doesn't mold, kill, smell, or stick.

[B]Xyandar[/B], what is up with roomates? Half of the roomates I've had in college were absolute slobs! I wasn't perfect, but geez! The dirtiest thing my roomate ever did was.....

Gave her boyfriend a haircut in our bathroom. She didn't clean it up. Left the apartment for Thanksgiving break right afterwards without cleaning up the mess! Her boyfriend wandered into our bedroom, and ofcourse I didn't realize this until I got home from school and decided to do some sit ups on the carpet, and my back was extra itchy. Looked around and noticed the gobs of hair camouflaged into the carpet! Then found the little suprise left in that bathroom. I DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW SOME PEOPLE CAN THINK THAT'S ACCEPTABLE!!!!![/QUOTE]

Wow that is pretty bad lol. I agrree with ya man i dont get how some people can be so bad with cleaning up. Ive still been naggin him to clean his room since i posted this and he still hasnt.. I got family commin over tomorrow that i havent seen in 8 years and id like to have a good impression for them...but it doesnt look like thats going to happen any time soon lol.....ugh... sick of dirtiness... I wasalways dirty until i began living with him...brings dirtiness to a whole...notha...level.

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]I'm not sure where the cutting of raw cocaine on MY coffee table figures in on the dirtiness scale, but that has happened to me. However in the more traditional realms of gross, at one point I spent the weekend with my then boyfriend and came home to discover a disaster area.

Pots were left on the table and in the kitchen along with bowls still partially full of food. Things had begun to grow hair to such an extent that it wouldn't have surprised me if the next stage of development had bestowed upon the mold the power of speech.[/FONT][/COLOR]

lol i really dont understand how people can be that grubby... I mean I have a physical disability which makes life much harder to live than normal, but I still live in my own place, I always keep it clean, I take care of my pets, and i still end up being bored all damn day while hes at work for 2 weeks straight cleanin **** outa other peoples houses.. ugh its non understandable lol... Trust me this has been the #1 stress issue ive been going crazy over for the past....2 years?? lol.... I mean when i was younger i never cleaned either. I had my mom to clean everything up so i didnt have to worry. But now i realize how easy it is to get it over and done with... and if you keep it clean...its easier to clean every time lol... some people just dont understand... humans..lol=P