OtakuBoards

Death Note TV

Dagger

If you're referring to changes in the Japanese voices, I don't think we can assume that the English ones will pick up on all the subtleties. Are you talking about alterations in Light's personality as Kira? I suppose it's possible, but.. I can see it getting even worse if they do intentionally try to change the voice, becoming overly sadistic. haha

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another good episode.

I thought Light's VA was better this week, although there are still moments when he's a bit over the top (mostly when he does the annoying trembling laugh while talking bullcrap). However, I think he did a nice job of sounding like a sniveling punk while Light was watching Lind L. Tailor on the TV.

L's voice is solid right now. It's calm and even, but there's still a bit of amusement in there where you can tell he's clearly enjoyed going one up on Kira. The real test will come when L finally shows himself and more of his personality shows through, though.

Light's dad is a bit weird to me. Nothing particularly wrong with the voice, but I just always imagined it sounding different. Oh well.

EDIT: Also, it's uber fun to remember how badass L is (despite some eerie similarities to Light...). Tricking Light into killing Lind L. Tailor (and Light's subsequent hissy fit) will never get old.

[quote name='Shinmaru']
The real test will come when L finally shows himself and more of his personality shows through, though.
[/QUOTE]

[FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="2"]Yeah, L's voice was the main thing I was anticipating about this episode. And, from what little I heard, he seem's like he'll do alright. But, as you said, the real test will begin in the coming episode's when we see L's true personality. You know, when he's eating cookie's. <3 And, as for the rest of this episode, it was great. Light's voice still sounded pretty good, although those histerical laughing moment's weren't really doing it for me. Oh well, maybe his voice will shape up in the next few episode's.
[/SIZE][/FONT]

• 7 months later...
[COLOR="DarkRed"][SIZE="1"]Er.. Where to start? While I do like Death Note, the first half of it anyway. The 2nd half has been disappointment after disappointment after disappointment. (I'm even thinking about dropping the rest of the series) I'm starting to see a pattern here, lol. Like I did with Bleach, I read the manga. (the 2nd half of it) Perhaps I should just stick with one lol. Cuz I've been setting myself up, too much lately.

I don't know how close the first half of the anime was to the manga, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Light and L trying to outsmart each other was entertaining to watch, and easy to comprehand seeing how everything was explained. [spoiler]Light taking out L and Rem[/spoiler] was a bit too clever, but at the same time I stopped liking Light for it, haha.

Afterwards, I thought it was going to start getting real good, and it did in the manga. I know I've read that people didn't care for the 2nd half of the series. Mainly because of [spoiler]L's death[/spoiler], and that didn't really phase me. What did phase me was the removal of such detail. (Big and small alike.) When [spoiler]that other shinigami (whose name escapes me at the moment) went looking for his notebook[/spoiler] I noticed that there was just way too much missing. [spoiler]The squad unit that went before Soichiro's unit[/spoiler] as well as some important conversations.. Well probably not that important, but important enough, in my opinion.

Also, a couple of episodes in the 2nd half, it just seems like some of the quality in artwork/animation took a dive. Nothing major, but it just don't look as good as the first half for some reason. The opening and ending themes are also garbage in the 2nd half. (especially the opening) But as I've always stated, I'm no fan of music where people are just screaming to be screaming... We'll get into that some other day. I don't have any issues with the dub.

As I've said, I'm thinking about dropping the rest of the series even though there's about 4-7 episodes left... I think.

With all that said though, my favorite episodes are all the episodes that involves L getting the upperhand on Light. Favorite character is L. (of course.) Misa's not annoying even though she has all the qualities that I can't stand.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

• 1 month later...
[color=#9933ff]Warning: Image contains BoyLove/shounen-ai hints if you squint and read into it. Do not proceed if this offends you. Er, not that I think it will, but warning are always nice.

[url="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/RoxieFaye/missingMatt.png"]Image linked for your convenience[/url]

I was going to put this in the art forum, but it's not really art-art, and there's not really enough to critique it. I just thought I'd share this with Death Note people. I thought up the idea yesterday and made it last night in Microsoft Word, and just "Prnt Scrn"ed it to an image.

Even if you're not reading into the Boy Love/shounen-ai, you have to admit that Mello and Matt are at least close enough to be best friends. They seem to spend a lot of time together. And during the time they're living together (or what I gather from that one shot in the anime), I think Mello would totally freak out if Matt went missing. Oh, and chocolate for you if you can figure out the phone number.[/color]

[quote name='MistressRoxie'][color=#9933ff]
Even if you're not reading into the Boy Love/shounen-ai, you have to admit that Mello and Matt are at least close enough to be best friends.[/color][/QUOTE]

Matt/Mello always seemed way more likely to me than L/Light (the more popular pairing, I suppose). Matt is pretty much the only person in the story who Mello acts like a human being around. Heck, Mello being friendly with anyone is significant in and of itself. Most of my favorite DN doujin are about them.

Lots of room for fanon, given how little Matt appears in the actual anime/manga. :p

~Dagger~

[quote name='Dagger']Matt is pretty much the only person in the story who Mello acts like a human being around.[/QUOTE]
[color=#9933ff]Haha, that's totally true.

I just feel like there isn't enough evidence for the L/Light pairing. Or any pairing that involves Light, actually. He doesn't care about anyone, except for his family (evidenced in the LA-Saiyu episode, and the other one where Mello blows up the building. *cough*). And he manipulates not one, but TWO women to kill people for him with the promise that he "truly loves them," they'll be "the goddess of the new world," blah blah blah. And he is the mastermind engineer behind [spoiler]L's death[/spoiler] for goodness sakes, I can hardly imagine him falling in love with the guy. >>; The one thing I will say about their interactions with one another is that Light has a lot of respect for L, and is probably the only one he regards as an equal. In ep. 36 and 37 he goes off on a long inner monologue about how Near has no right to be wearing a mask of L, L was much better, L would have figured in [spoiler]the possibility of a second notebook[/spoiler], etc.

The tl;dr version: Light respects L, but he's still a cold hearted bastard who can't love anyone. The end.[/color]

[font=trebuchet ms] Sorry if this has been posted before, or is OT, but I found this parody of Death Note and it made me crack up. The actor's facial expresisons are just hilarious:

[YOUTUBE="Debu Note"]_ihEQlIJOIA[/YOUTUBE][/font]

@Lunox: Cracks me up every time. :animesmil

[quote name='MistressRoxie'][color=#9933ff]The tl;dr version: Light respects L, but he's still a cold hearted bastard who can't love anyone. The end.[/color][/QUOTE]
I actually think a lot of people who go for L/Light/L are fully aware of this--they just enjoy the prospect of hate-filled sexual tension. Which is fair enough. Although I guess there's also a lot of L + memoryloss!Light.

Oh well--it's a Shounen Jump series, so clearly anything goes when it comes to pairings, haha.

~Dagger~

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I think Matt was originally designed as a character but never new where to put him, so they just randomly threw him in the story as Mello's friend. I think he's from Wammy's house 2 and like L's sweet tooth, Mello's crave for chocolate and Near playing with his hair, I think I remember reading somewhere that Matt's addictions were cigarettes (obviously) and playing video games. Though I was kind of mad at how [spoiler]he was killed[/spoiler]. I mean, 1st of all unless your part of a law enforcement "group" let's say, you can't carry guns in Japan, so for bodyguards to have guns is weird. And even if being a bodyguard is sufficient enough to carry guns, how can you just [spoiler]shoot a person that's under suspicion of a kidnapping even when he admits to it, just killing him right then and there mid-sentence seems a little extreme just because he "defied Kira"[/spoiler]

• 4 months later...
Hey guys, this is the first post I make here, let's see how it goes >.<

Anywho, I have this writing project in the works, I don't wanna say too much, but it's essentially a series of news articles that you would see during the Death Note series that revolve around Kira coverage.

I've been searching the internets looking for information, but I couldn't really find anything useful. So if you Have any information why not send it my way via post or PM/IM ^_^

[CENTER][FONT="Microsoft Sans Serif"][SIZE="1"]I have merged your thread with the official Death Note thread here, [B]AcidNation[/B].
Please make use of the [URL="http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=38208"][U]Anime Central Thread Directory[/U][/URL] for future thread topics regarding specific series. ^_^ ~ Sangome[/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]

• 3 months later...
[size=1][color=green]I was browsing Right Stuf and Blockbusters and came across Death Note Relight :confused:.

[quote=RightStuf]See through the eyes of a shinigami...

Light and L have battled to the bitter end over the Death Note - but what does the story look like from Ryuk's point of view?

When rogue shinigami Ryuk deliberately drops his Death Note in the human world out of boredom, he has no idea how far the human who picks it up will take his newfound power. With the Death Note in hand, brilliant high school student Light Yagami vows to rid the world of evil, and when criminals begin dropping dead one by one, genius detective L steps in to track down the elusive killer known as Kira. An epic battle of wits pitting one brilliant mind against another unfolds - with the very future of humanity at stake! Ryuk's not bored anymore...[/quote]

Seeing everything from Ryuk's POV has certainly aroused my curiousity. Is it a recap of the series that's been dumbed down to 130 minutes (260 cause of it being 2 dvd's) or has it been done over and we're just seeing it from Ryuk's perspective? I guess I'm just wondering if even more has been cut like the 2nd half of the anime where it caused me to lose a little bit of interest in the series. Has anyone seen this?[/size][/color]