OtakuBoards

Death Note TV

Dagger

To catch those of you who are unfamiliar with the story up to speed, let's begin with Viz's somewhat lame but nevertheless adequate summary of the manga.

[quote][I][SIZE=1]Light Yagami is an ace student with great prospects - and bored out of his mind! But all that changes when he finds the Death Note, a notebook dropped by a rogue shinigami death god. Any human whose name is written in the notebook dies, and now Light has vowed to use the power of the Death Note to rid the world of evil. But when criminals begin dropping dead, the authorities send the legendary detective L to track down the killer. With L hot on his heels, will Light lose sight of his noble goal... or his life?[/SIZE][/I][/quote]
Anyway. The Death Note anime started airing in Japan today, and saying that I've been looking forward to it would be quite the understatement. I haven't watched the raw yet, but once I do see it, I'll update this post (or post again, whatever) with my impressions. I'll reserve any final judgments until then, but it certainly looks as if Madhouse has really blown this one out of the ballpark. For now, at any rate, here are a few relevant links.

[url=http://randomc.animeblogger.net/2006/10/03/death-note-01/][u]Episode 1 screencaps[/u][/url]

[url=http://www.designchronicle.com/memento/archives/death_note_ep01.html][u]Episode 1 screencaps & impressions[/u][/url]

[url=http://www.ntv.co.jp/deathnote/][u]Official site [JP][/u][/url]

[url=http://youtube.com/watch?v=o6fjn-AfRDE][u]OP sequence[/u][/url]

I'll edit in others as more sites post screencaps and the like. As for the episode count, the number that gets bandied about most often seems to be 37; apparently this might only be referring to the first arc, though. So it's all a little nebulous.

~Dagger~

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, all's I know is that if this thing isn't as good (or at least in the [i]neighborhood[/i] of as good) as every anime site on the web has been claiming it's going to be for the past, oh, three months, I feel like I should personally go over to each one of them and correct them on their mistake. Not that this should be called cynical - there's cynicism, and then there's having several recent seasons where the Next Big Thing turns out to have neither thought in its head nor heart in its chest (Ergo Proxy, anyone?).

Reasons for optimism: it looks v. nice and Madhouse is producing it. Then again, being pretty rarely gives a series staying power, and as I recall these guys were also responsible for Okusama wa Joshikosei in-between their bouts of Nana and Kemonozume. There's reason to be hopeful, but I'm going to hedge my bets some.

[quote name='Fasteriskhead]Man, all's I know is that if this thing isn't as good (or at least in the [i]neighborhood[/i'] of as good) as every anime site on the web has been claiming it's going to be for the past, oh, three months, I feel like I should personally go over to each one of them and correct them on their mistake.[/quote]
It sounds like you're not familiar with the manga. In that case, it'll be very interesting to see your take on the story as it's presented in the anime. I'm hoping that the anime will be able to correct some of the manga's occasional pacing issues.

Anyway, I quite liked episode 1. It only covers the first chapter (?) of the manga, but surprisingly, it didn't feel slow to me (and the end of the chapter made for a great stopping point). [strike]Tamaki[/strike] Miyano Mamoru does a decent job as Light, which is a very good thing, given that at least 50% of the series will consist purely of him soliloquizing. The production values are very high, and the director--whoever the hell he is--knows how to pull out all the stops when it counts, which is something that I definitely have a weakness for in anime.

Because of my extremely high expectations and my love for the manga, I wasn't totally sold on the anime version until the eye-popping [spoiler]writing scene[/spoiler] (I don't know why I'm tagging that, but whatever) toward the end of the episode. Earlier on, I had been a little bothered by the relative dearth of music. But then that sequence came out and completely owned me. My god.

The OP & ED have great visuals and okay music. The songs will probably grow on me over time.

~Dagger~

[COLOR=RoyalBlue]Im a bit skeptical about the DN anime. The manga always feels superior Get backers, Black Cat etc. The anime adaptions never turn out as well. So how does it compare would you say the anime is just as good as the manga? Or did the anime change the storyline around? Im curious about it seeing how the manga is one of my all time favorites. Im not expecting the same qualty of the manga in the anime but something that does the manga justice.[/COLOR]

i must say the manga was a smash hit in the manga universe,er whatever, but from the looks of the anime I dont know if it will be as good,the graphics fine,the story line on the other hand,is like making Yasuhiro Nightow look like he created sailor moon.DeathNote altogether is outstanding, the characters are flat out, story line is just somthing out of the ordinary, which is what manga readers worldwide needed,but,if the anime turns out to be as bad as most people think it will be,the manga will look bad and just the whole idea would collapse,But, were just gonna have to wait and see

and to add to my reply there also would be a problem with the DN manga readers being confused in the anime,adding characters that werent serialized in the manga could completely throw you off leaving you hanging by this one episode and wondering about the rest.

[quote name='Kenshin DX][COLOR=RoyalBlue']So how does it compare would you say the anime is just as good as the manga? Or did the anime change the storyline around? Im curious about it seeing how the manga is one of my all time favorites. Im not expecting the same qualty of the manga in the anime but something that does the manga justice.[/COLOR][/quote]
The first episode didn't change anything, and Madhouse is great at sticking ruthlessly to the manga when they have a big property on their hands (Nana and Monster are good examples of that). Let's put it this way--I think the anime has the potential to exceed the manga. Then again, I don't ascribe to the school of the manga always being better.

[quote name='Takanutsu']i must say the manga was a smash hit in the manga universe,er whatever, but from the looks of the anime I dont know if it will be as good,the graphics fine,the story line on the other hand,is like making Yasuhiro Nightow look like he created sailor moon.[/quote]
So far, the anime's plot is [i]exactly the same as that of the manga[/i], and there's really no reason to believe that Madhouse will change anything substantially. Like I said in my first post, they have the opportunity to smooth out the pacing, but even if they do that, it won't alter the nature of the story.

[quote]but,if the anime turns out to be as bad as most people think it will be,the manga will look bad and just the whole idea would collapse,But, were just gonna have to wait and see[/quote]
Just who have you been talking to? As Fasteriskhead implied, the show has already been hyped up to an almost ridiculous extent. "Most people" have been blathering about how it'll be one of the best anime of the year. That's not necessarily a good thing for any series, but suggesting the opposite certainly makes you seem like you have no idea what you're talking about.

[quote]and to add to my reply there also would be a problem with the DN manga readers being confused in the anime,adding characters that werent serialized in the manga could completely throw you off leaving you hanging by this one episode and wondering about the rest.[/QUOTE]
What the heck makes you think that they'll add new characters? :rolleyes:

~Dagger~

Well I'll be gobsmacked, it's actually pretty good! Score one for the hype machine.

Basically what you've got here is a kind of Faust done Shonen Jump style - Light in the title role, Ryuk as a kind of Mephistopheles (and as of yet no Gretchen). Frankly I don't think this'll last - as much as I love anime, it really does not know how to linger on the ethical thing or the salvation question very long or very deeply without interrupting it for plot movement. I suspect the moral issues are going to be sidelined pretty quick in favor of set pieces and intrigue. But that'll be fun too.

The music here is especially good. Someone got to play around with a choir, and they're going to let you know it: there's a full Kyrie, something that sounds like it could have fallen out of Ligeti's dresser drawer, your standard driving half-Orff thing (accompanying an absolutely absurd but very fun scene at the climax), and so on. Unfortunately, in contrast, neither the op nor the ed do the slightest thing for me (the shows this season have been especially weak on this so far).

I'm definitely in for the next couple of weeks, at least...

[FONT=Trebuchet MS]I adore the atmospherics. The creepy incidental music, the [spoiler]thunderstorm when Ryuk shows up, and yes, the writing scene[/spoiler]. The anime's added a whole new level of uncomfortable spookiness I just didn't feel when reading the manga.

Let's face, it, with the source material at hand the anime couldn't go far wrong. But it's good to see that it looks slick and professional. I enjoyed the contrast colouring in the OP, and there's an image in the ED of [spoiler]Light, seen from below, with Ryuk behind him, crouched in the branches of a tree[/spoiler], which was visually stunning.

I'm not totally sold on Light's [spoiler]evil laughter[/spoiler] - he always comes across as completely in control, of both the situation and himself, so it jarred a little that he does it at all. But if I was making the show and the director said [spoiler]"Light has to have an evil laugh"[/spoiler] then the way Mamoru does it - [spoiler]a soft chuckle, entirely to himself[/spoiler] - is exactly how I'd want it done, if that makes any sense.[/FONT]

[SIZE=1]Please excuse me while I scream into my pillow like a little girl.

Oh. My. God.

I don't think I've ever seen an anime that's been adapted from the manga so expertly. Seeing the OP just makes me very happy, now I can't wait to see the first episode. Grarg.

I have nothing more to contribute to this, my apologies, I'm still trying to get over my fangirlish excitement.[/SIZE]

[color=#56995e][SIZE=1][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Wow, I figured that now since Death Note was becoming an anime and all, and after hearing so much about it from friends, online sources, et cetera, so I decided to give it a view and just...wow. It just about blew my mind away in so many ways possible. I guess I can say that it did sort of live up to the hype?

Although the writing scene was indeed my favorite I really do hope that in the future Light will[spoiler] make his death's more creative. If he really does plan to make himself the new god after he rid the world of evil. If he made his death's more grusome to the more horrible criminals, ex Decapitations, disembowlments, more blood and the works. It would show how he really isnt f***ing around with the death note[/spoiler]

Although now I really wish I have more time to read the manga seeing as it is already done, but I will just have to settle with the anime seeing as I can hardly find any time to read 666 Satan anymore. Most likely though this show will become one of my deadly sins.

I know if I got a hold of that notebook I would probably go on a[spoiler] killing spree like no other.[/spoiler][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Raiyuu]
I'm not totally sold on Light's [spoiler]evil laughter[/spoiler] - he always comes across as completely in control, of both the situation and himself, so it jarred a little that he does it at all. But if I was making the show and the director said [spoiler]"Light has to have an evil laugh"[/spoiler] then the way Mamoru does it - [spoiler]a soft chuckle, entirely to himself[/spoiler] - is exactly how I'd want it done, if that makes any sense.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

I agree. I'm already loving this anime (who couldn't, since it's generally staying so close to the source material), but Light seems more typically 'evil-genius-like' in the anime than he ever did in the manga. He was always cool, calculating, and totally in control. The most he ever allowed himself to do was smirk when no one was looking (and that smile alone could send chills down your spine). Well, here's hoping that this was a character trait that stays in the first episode only.

[quote name='Nekova']I agree. I'm already loving this anime (who couldn't, since it's generally staying so close to the source material), but Light seems more typically 'evil-genius-like' in the anime than he ever did in the manga. He was always cool, calculating, and totally in control. The most he ever allowed himself to do was smirk when no one was looking (and that smile alone could send chills down your spine). Well, here's hoping that this was a character trait that stays in the first episode only.[/quote]
See, I don't really agree with that. Light strikes the other characters as being calm and in control, but in truth he's a total drama queen; throughout the manga, the most memorable scenes (at least for me) involved him going into hysterics. There's an absolutely legendary series of panels of him laughing like a madman. I think that shot should have come in episode 2, if I'm remembering the sequence correctly, but they kind of skirted over it. Which was probably a wise choice--I can't imagine that expression being replicated in animation without looking even more ridiculous than it did on the page.

Anyway, pros and cons of episode 2...

- Sayu's seiyuu. I know she's done a good job as other characters (Hagu, etc.), but she sounded so fake and wrong to me in this context. At least I have higher hopes for Aya Hirano as Misa.

- Recycled animation (or something that looked very much like it). Bad Madhouse! Actually I don't care too much, since it was only one or two brief shots. Though this episode wasn't as shiny as the first episode, it didn't look bad by any stretch of the imagination.

- Recycled music... inevitable, but unwelcome. I guess all shounen series need something to remind you when exciting stuff is going down.

+ Yamaguchi Kappei as L. He [i]nailed[/i] it. Oh my god, I never believed I would say this. Given what little I've heard, however, I have no complaints. He sounds fantastic. I can't say I ever imagined a specific voice for L--I just knew that I didn't want him sounding like Inuyasha or something, haha. This should be taken with a grain of salt, since I'm no seiyuu buff, but I would never have recognized Kappei's voice in this context.

+ [spoiler]L pwning Light.[/spoiler] Well done, sir.

+ [spoiler]Lind L. Tailor's death scene.[/spoiler] I was afraid that it would be over the top, but it looked and sounded just right.

+ Miyano Mamoru. More solid acting on his part.

+ Ryuk. For some reason, the DN anime is making me see more parallels between DN and Hikaru no Go than ever before. If only they would animate the omake from the end of volume 1...

~Dagger~

[SIZE=1]Funny thing is, I was just thinking about how big of a drama queen Light 'GOD OF THE NEW WORLD!!!' Yagami is right before stumbling onto this thread. If Light is all-too-willing to slam his fists on his desk and yell at his TV set like a raving loony in the confines of his room, then yeah, I wouldn't put a little crazy laughter past him.

[quote name='Dagger']There's an absolutely legendary series of panels of him laughing like a madman. I think that shot should have come in episode 2, if I'm remembering the sequence correctly, but they kind of skirted over it.[/quote]

I'm not sure if we're thinking of the same scene, but I know that Light does a madman laugh in volume three [spoiler]after L first reveals himself to Light.[/spoiler][/SIZE]

Hey, [b]Death God[/b], welcome to OB. We're glad you're here, but it would be appreciated if you put a little more detail in your posts. Just saying that the show looks awesome doesn't leave too much room for discussion. Anyway, if you have any questions about this, please PM me or one of the other staff members.

[quote name='bellpickle][SIZE=1]I'm not sure if we're thinking of the same scene, but I know that Light does a madman laugh in volume three [spoiler]after L first reveals himself to Light.[/spoiler'][/SIZE][/quote]
Oh, yeah, that's the one! You win, haha. I suppose it all blurs together after a while. :animeswea

~Dagger~

I've seen the fan-subbed versions of the first 2 episodes of the anime on YouTube and I can't stop watching them!!!!! I've also seen part of the first DN movie on there too!!!

And just to let you know I was creeped out for 2 days after seeing Light's madman laugh in vol.3 *shudders* :animedepr

I've never read any of the manga, so jumped head first in when I started watching the anime. ANyway I'm loving it at the moment and the way I've been describing it from the first 2 eps is "as sadistic as Gantz without the gore and nudity." Not sure how accurate that will turn out to be. I'm going to continue watching it however.

Also I was intrigued by the fact I'd heard there was a live-action movie and decided to check it out. Well I found the site for the second film, soon to be released, and had to search youtube for trailers of the first. I'm now very enthralled and want to see the movies as well if I can get my hands on subbed versions.

Actually theres going to be 2 live movies of Death Note soon,the one already out ,and a new one comming out soon! :animesmil :animesmil :animesmil
I actually own vol.1-4 of Death Note...but from some spoilers I read at another website....I don't think I want #7.....ToT poor [spoiler]L-kun[/spoiler]...... :animecry:

[indent][size=1][color=#007520]Hmm... I covered up the ending with a spoiler to make it even less obvious for those who haven't read that far. xP -r2[/color][/size][/indent]

@_@

My God.. I love this anime. :] I saw the first two episodes at my anime club last Friday, and I'm hooked now. haha I've been checking fansub sites every day for the next episode, and that's something I never do, not even for Naruto. :p Does anyone know what days they usually air in Japan, which days those correspond to for the US, and how long an average fansubbing takes? kthnxbye

The things that I really love about this anime are the philosophical and psychological undertones (those are my majors anyway, so I suppose it's not that surprising), going into [spoiler]moral judgments and studying human behavior in general[/spoiler]. Exploring this sort of hypothetical question is just so deeply satisfying, being able to share in the insights of the creater and compare them to my own in forming a stronger view. [spoiler]The power to send punishment based on your judgment of someone's moral worth? As tempting as it sounds, I'd probably end up turning it down. I would not likely have picked up the book to begin with, I wouldn't have tried it out if I had because I'd be afraid of the possible consequences, if I knew the possible consequences (including in the afterlife) I'd decide not to do it, and if I actually managed to get past that point then I would most likely spend my time developing the standard for which I should be judging these people and whether I would even have that right. Luckily, Light is a badass and we can watch an interesting anime. I have no doubt, however, that he's already corrupt in his power; typical human, lol.[/spoiler]

My Japanese friend was telling me that Death Note was originally a novel. Can anyone confirm that form me?

[QUOTE=Syk3]
Exploring this sort of hypothetical question is just so deeply satisfying, being able to share in the insights of the creater and compare them to my own in forming a stronger view.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, Death Note serves as a great springboard for all kinds of wild discussions. The author shared a few thoughts on her intentions in the recently released "How to Read" supplement to the manga, but I think talking about her take on it might be best saved for after the show is over, so as not to give anyone preconceived ideas of how to view the story.

[QUOTE]
[I] My Japanese friend was telling me that Death Note was originally a novel. Can anyone confirm that form me?[/I][/QUOTE]
Death Note was originally a manga. However, a prequel novel was published in Japan pretty recently, so that could be what he or she was referring to.

Episode 3 demonstrates the beauty of outsourcing via a couple of badly off-model shots (and the total massacre of Matsuda, haha), but overall it's about on the same level of animation and artwork as episode 2. Plus, Ryuk's face gets a lot more love, and that's always a good thing. I was a little surprised that they didn't complete the [spoiler]shinigami eyes[/spoiler] scene, but I suppose that adds to the sense of tension. I'm just wondering how they'll start episode 4.

EDIT: Oh, and there were a couple of tweaks to the OP. Anyone want to join me in trying to spot them all? The one that really leapt out at me is how they made Light's eye colorless in the tunnel/underground scene, but I think some background elements in the scene with Misa might have been different as well.

~Dagger~

If I had to describe this anime in one word, it would be INTENSE. I've never really watched an anime quite like it before. I haven't read any of the mangas, so I'm looking forward to the plot being revealed to me through the episodes...

I've seen the first 2 episodes of this series. I really like the animation style, and the fact that it invokes so much thought and reflection. It?s a great anime in the sense that it brings up a lot of issues that can be debated and discussed, and it also gives you a great psychological insight into the minds of these characters, and the human mind in general.

This anime is about a very controversial topic. It really makes you think. What would happen if something like the Death Note existed in our world? I believe that something like what is happening in the story could easily happen in real life. It's just the unfortunate nature of human-kind. It?s actually kind of scary to think of what we, as human beings, might be capable of.

Light may be an intelligent guy, but [spoiler]his morals are obviously a bit skewed. He may be killing off some evil criminals, but how can he really believe that it?s his place to pass judgment on the rest of human kind? He obviously has a few problems of his own. Just like what was said in the first episode ? [I]Light: ?Then I can build a world inhabited only by those people I decide are good!? Ryuk: ?You do something like that, the only one left with a bad personality will be you?.[/I] I think that what Ryuk said (even though he?s not exactly a good guy) has a lot of truth in it. And he wants to ?rule over the new world as God?? Wow. Nutcase. :animeswea [/spoiler]

However, I think that the way the character Light is portrayed in this anime is just right. Not because I already knew the character from the manga, [spoiler]but because I think it must be a pretty difficult thing to pull off a convincing evil genius, who?s also realistic. I think the evil laugh is so cliché, but for the scene in the first ep., it?s perfect. Not too over the top or anything.[/spoiler] Ryuk I find slightly disturbing, but I?m sure that was the intension. I think L looks like a VERY interesting character? I?d love to find out more about him. I love how he [spoiler]finds out Light's location so fast with his tricky little plan... Genius.[/spoiler]

Overall, I was impressed by the animation in this show. I especially liked that [spoiler]intense ?writing scene?[/spoiler], and I think the artistic effect in the OP and ED themes is excellent.

This show looks really intriguing, and I look forward to the rest of the series!

[color=#56995e][SIZE=1][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Feh, I just got donw with Episode 3 the other night and much like what Dagger said its more or less the same animation and style as episode 2. I was suprised (kinda) by finding out that [spoiler]Lights' father was actually that head police guy[/spoiler]. Yet in the end all is well that ends well.

I don't know if it was just me or not but finding out about the whole [spoiler]Shinigami eyes thing really wasnt to much of a suprise. It can be from how at my school they are always stressing about how things repeat and symbols and what not. Yet seeing how many close up shots of an eye there was in the opening as well as in that one episode gave me a feeling that they were going to mean something or be important in some way or anothe.[/spoiler]

Tis all for now, more on the next episode.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]Wow.....I just watched the first episode, and I have to say that i'm pretty impressed with it. I mean, reading everybody's take's on it, I thought I would check it out. So I did, and its pretty cool. I really like the manga too, so now I can read my Death Note manga and then watch the Death Note anime. Simply awesome.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]Woohoo, I just got done watching episode's 2 and 3, and I have to say that i'm liking the anime more and more each minute I watch it. And I really like how the anime is keeping me on the edge of my seat just like the manga does. And I will be sure to keep an eye on this anime because I simply can't get enough of it. So now i'm going to find something else to occupy me until the next few episodes. Awesome.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

So, I saw episode 3 today. Pretty intense stuff. It's pretty crazy that [spoiler]Light's Dad is with the police.[/spoiler] It surprised me at the time, but now that I think about it, it's really not that surprising at all. It's actually kind of a predictable twist in the plot, but effective all the same.

All I can say is I think that L is incredible. Pretty smart guy. It's going to be really interesting watching how L and the Police handle this case. I mean, [spoiler]3 officers already resigned[/spoiler]. And I can completely understand why.

I know Light is a genius and everything, but you'd have to be a complete idiot to [spoiler]give up half your life for Death God eyes. Lots of people probably already know what Light does because they read the manga, but I don't. I'm guessing that he's going to go for it though. Idiot.[/spoiler]

Episode 4 was quite good, except for one unfortunate element that really bothered me: [spoiler]the hijacker's voice.[/spoiler] Luckily, he won't appear in the series again, but his annoying and unconvincing acting took a lot of the tension out of the [spoiler]bus scene[/spoiler] for me. Hopefully someone better will be cast in that role for the inevitable English dub. It's likely that I paid more attention to his voice and other relatively unimportant elements than those who haven't read the manga would, since I already knew the outcome of that situation.

A few key points for this episode:

- Light [spoiler]explores the limits of the Death Note.[/spoiler] Although the first half of the episode was pretty quiet, I enjoyed it a lot because it did a great job of duplicating the manga's deadpan humor. The manga is an extremely funny series, believe it or not--it just doesn't resort to SD tactics like other shounen titles, and it works the comedic bits into the story fluidly, without affecting its somber atmosphere. The anime creates the same effect here with Light's "joke" and Ryuk's mental "... Probably..."

- And Light even finds the time to [spoiler]go on a date![/spoiler] I was pleasantly surprised by the guitar music used at that point in the episode. It created an interesting mood that I hadn't expected from the show. Now I'm wondering when and how they'll recycle it. I can't think of many opportunities for them to evoke that sense of peaceful, empty, wordless melancholy.

- [spoiler]Ray Penber[/spoiler] is one of the very few characters in Death Note who can be called "good." His seiyuu, whoever that might be, is appropriate for the character. I hope that episode 5 continues to do him justice.

Things are really starting to move along. It helps a little that I haven't gone back to the manga to refresh my memory--I know what will happen, but I don't recall the order. It's also nice because the anime's small chronological tweaks don't bother me. Now, after hearing Kappei Yamaguchi talk more, I'm wondering how he will voice L [spoiler]when L begins interacting with others in person.[/spoiler] There are a lot of ways he could play it--in a low voice like he's doing now, but more emotionless and unreadable; in a higher, more whimsical voice; or in a medium range with emotion in it. I'm not sure what I'd prefer.

~Dagger~

[quote name='Dagger]Episode 4 was quite good, except for one unfortunate element that really bothered me: [spoiler']the hijacker's voice.[/spoiler][/quote]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]I agree, I saw his annoying voice and such pretty distracting throughout the whole [spoiler]bus scene.[/spoiler] But aside from that minor drawback, the anime seems to just keep getting more interesting by the episode. And it has managed to keep me coming back each week to watch the new episode, which basically mean's that I like the anime. All in all, episode 4 was great, along with the past episode's as well, and I can't wait to see more and more of this anime each week.[/COLOR][/SIZE]