OtakuBoards

When Nostalgia Bites

James

[quote name='Rachmaninoff'][FONT="Trebuchet MS"]And I still find Chitty Chitty Bang Bang amusing. Not sure why since it's rather cheesy. [/FONT][/QUOTE][font=secret font!]I haven't seen Chitty Chitty Bang Bang for a while, but I assume I would still enjoy it.

Yes, it's a corny musical, but it's [i]my[/i] corny musical, you know?[/font]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][IMG]http://www.chewingpixels.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/230px-robert_helpmann_child_catcher_.jpg[/IMG]

I am eighteen years old and can sit through some pretty weird movies without so much as batting an eyelid, but this bastard still scares the hell out of me.

Well done, [B]Chitty Chitty Bang Bang[/B].[/FONT]

[quote name='Ace'][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][IMG]http://www.chewingpixels.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/230px-robert_helpmann_child_catcher_.jpg[/IMG]

I am eighteen years old and can sit through some pretty weird movies without so much as batting an eyelid, but this bastard still scares the hell out of me.

Well done, [B]Chitty Chitty Bang Bang[/B].[/FONT][/QUOTE][font=secret font!][size=3]Seriously. Talk about your nightmare fuel.
[CENTER]
[IMG]http://imgur.com/3pcZo.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

Oh my gosh. There are [url=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000B652X8/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000E0P81W&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1ZXF19Z4ZEJATCVZEESW][i]action figures[/i] (amazon link)[/url].[/size][/font]

[quote name='Ace'][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][IMG]http://www.chewingpixels.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/230px-robert_helpmann_child_catcher_.jpg[/IMG]

Well done, [B]Chitty Chitty Bang Bang[/B].[/FONT][/QUOTE]

DO NOT WANT! 0_0

[FONT="Trebuchet MS"][quote name='Sara][font=secret font!][size=3]Oh my gosh. There are [url=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000B652X8/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000E0P81W&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1ZXF19Z4ZEJATCVZEESW][i]action figures[/i] (amazon link)[/url].[/size'][/font][/quote]Woah. That's pretty awesome. Even if it does scream... Let's give the kids nightmares for life! ... By giving them this action figure from the show. lol[/FONT]

I never saw that movie, but I have to wonder at how he could've stood out, in the middle of town square, hollering for children with the offer of "cream pops" and "ice cream" and none of those adults came out and called the police.

This leads me to believe that all the adults were congregated in the local opium den, chasing the dragon. The two that came out to yell after the children were clearly only upset that the kiddy chaser thought of free candy and ice cream before they did.

I wept at the state of Smalltown, UK. Or wherever that was supposed to be.

-Justin

The moment he started frolicking in the street I whimpered pathetically. He scares the hell out of me. I can specifically remember being 4 years old and going "No! He can't give you ice cream! He doesn't look nice enough!" Apparently I used to think that only jolly looking people could give out ice cream... Ace, you just dug up some terrible childhood memories...

[quote name='Justin']I never saw that movie, but I have to wonder at how he could've stood out, in the middle of town square, hollering for children with the offer of "cream pops" and "ice cream" and none of those adults came out and called the police.[/QUOTE]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Basically, children are illegal, so abducting them like some kind of government-employed pedophile is a perfectly acceptable action where he is.

It makes sense in context. Horrible, frightening sense.[/FONT]

[quote name='Ace'][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Basically, children are illegal, so abducting them like some kind of government-employed pedophile is a perfectly acceptable action where he is.

It makes sense in context. Horrible, frightening sense.[/FONT][/QUOTE][font=secret font!][size=3]Horrible, frightening context.[/size][/font]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="1"][COLOR="Navy"]When I was young and naive, I used to think that the USA production of the [B]Street Fighter[/B] cartoon was awesome, but now I just get massive lulz from it.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[YOUTUBE="THIS IS DELICIOUS!!!"]IGEJDKJdPGg[/YOUTUBE][/FONT]

[quote name='Delta'][SIZE="1"][COLOR=#35425e]Oh wow. You know what? Lady Gaga's production numbers always remind me of [B]Jem and the Holograms[/B]. Used to watch it every weekend back when I was a liiiiittle kid.
[CENTER]
[I]Jem is my name
No one else is the same
Jem is my name![/CENTER][/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE]
[FONT="Arial Narrow"][SIZE="2"]
I [I]adored[/I] Jem and the Holograms. They weren't well known in Aus, and I have no idea how we ended up with their 'movie' (the first 4 or so episodes put together), but I watched it over and over and over and over. I recently googled it and found out you can buy it on DVD. And I totally am going to, because while it's completely lame...I still heart it. And some of those songs aren't bad. [Although it did take me a couple years to realise they have no eyebrows.]

And Gavin, theme hospital was brilliant. I can't believe I'd forgotten its existance.
[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1][COLOR=DimGray]There's a simple cure for combating the nostalgia blues: Marijuana.

It will make any childhood favorite just as good as you remembered it, if not better. You will think, feel, and perceive exactly as you did when you watched it as a child, guaranteed.

That being said, [B]Mary Poppins[/B] is an incredibly bizarre, yet excellent movie.

[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='James'][font=franklin gothic medium]blasphemy*[/font][/QUOTE]

The problem is obviously just your poor taste, because Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2 is a goddamn masterpiece.

If this doesn't make you laugh you might as well give up on life now, cause trust me, theres no point...

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7P1z28mCwI[/url]

• 4 months later...
Though it didn't completely shatter my past youth, this choice viewing of mine sure left some noticeable cracks in its foundations: Around a month ago, I decided to re-watch an episode of the old [i]Transformers [/i]cartoon (I think it's called "Generation 1", nowadays). The episode's called "Carnage in C-Minor", from Season 3, and of all the episodes to watch once more to relieve those magical moments - it had to be that one.

The good thing about it was that it had the ultra-cool Galvatron (!!!), but that's pretty much the only good thing it had going for it. The plot involved the Transformers crash landing on an alien planet where the elf-looking inhabitants "speak" in a very sing-song manner . . . and holy moly me oh my does it go downhill fast the minute they start sing-talking. (Actually, it's laughably bad, so it had [i]something[/i] going for it.) Top it off with some laughably bad dialog like, "I don't want to see your ugly face; just the button that says erase!" (a true facepalm moment, if there ever was one), and primitive animation (did they move the cels by hand just to make a character jump into screen?), and you've got the makings for completely scrapping the concept "nostalgia" altogether.

At the end of it all, I had that a [i]Wonder Years[/i]-ish voice inside my head lamenting the fact that a piece of my childhood was forever gone and tarnished. Edited by Pleiades Rising

[quote name='James' date='02 February 2010 - 12:42 AM' timestamp='1265089323' post='690098']
[font=franklin gothic medium]I was in Coles (a big supermarket chain here) and I stumbled across the cheap DVD section. Usually this section seems to hold nothing but lame movies from the 90's that were never popular to begin with (for the bargain price of $8). But then I saw something that made my heart skip a beat:[/font][/quote]
[color="#A0522D"][font="Arial"]The discount movies bin is always one of my favorite places to scour purely for this reason. You'll either find some old gems like you did, or even just recent movies that for whatever reason are supremely under-rated (like I think I saw [i]Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind[/i] in one once, wtf is that about).

I loved the Ninja Turtle movies, and now I'm going to have to find them and watch them again, lol. My only wish is that they would have utilized more villains than just Shredder and the Foot Clan. They should have used Bebop and Rocksteady in the second one instead of those two random mutants, and who wouldn't have wanted to see Krang and his Mousers? Plus the awesome fortress that is the Technodrome?

Speaking of old movies, I think I'm going to have to find [i]Willow[/i] while I'm at it. I don't remember that movie very clearly.

--- Looking back, Donatello in TMNT2 for some reason reminds me of Rick Moranis.[/font][/color] Edited by PiroMunkie