OtakuBoards

When Nostalgia Bites

James

[font=franklin gothic medium]I had an experience this weekend, which I wouldn't wish on anybody. It shattered my illusions and crushed my long-held beliefs...

To explain how this came about, I need to go back to mid-last week.

I was in Coles (a big supermarket chain here) and I stumbled across the cheap DVD section. Usually this section seems to hold nothing but lame movies from the 90's that were never popular to begin with (for the bargain price of $8). But then I saw something that made my heart skip a beat:

[center][img]http://airtimes.webs.com/2cr3kle.jpg[/img][/center]

"Ninja Turtles 2? Oh yeah, I remember this!" I exclaimed with glee. "And for only 8 bucks? Why not!"

*sigh*

When I was a kid, Ninja Turtles was everything. It was a religion. I watched the cartoon series religiously and going to the movies to see the live-action versions was something akin to a pilgrimage to Mecca.

Having not seen these movies in years, I sort of expected them to be a bit goofier, but I really wasn't prepared for how much Ninja Turtles 2 actually annoyed me when I tried to watch it on the weekend.

It annoyed me so much, actually, that I turned it off after 15 minutes or so. It wasn't like, say, Ghostbusters, which I could easily watch again and again (and where the conspicuous signs of its era are actually charming and humorous rather than outright annoying).

Have you ever gone back and watched a movie or played a game or [insert childhood hobby here] and found that your nostalgia was completely shattered?

I'd love to read some other nostalgia-busters! :catgirl:[/font]

[quote name='Sara'][font=helvetica]Whatever you do, don't rewatch [i]The Neverending Story[/i].[/font][/QUOTE]

[font=franklin gothic medium]Funny you mention that. I saw a bit of it on TV a few weeks ago.

And yet, somehow, it didn't shatter my illusions as much as Ninja Turtles 2 did. Maybe that's because it's not filled with cringe-inducing 80's jokes? I suspect these jokes were bad even in the 80's, though. :smirk:[/font]

[FONT="Microsoft Sans Serif"][SIZE="1"]That's how I felt when the Nostalgia Critic lambasted [B]Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog[/B]. :( I felt so dumb loving that show as a kid.

I still friggin' love the Critic, though, so s'all good.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Speaking of the Nostalgia Critic, apparently [B]Rock-A-Doodle[/B] actually kinda sucked. Which is sad because I used to watch it like twice a day.

This phenomenon also works in reverse, by the way. For example, we'll use another Don Bluth film. I had never seen [B]The Secret of NIMH[/B] until about half a year ago, so I had no nostalgic expectations of it, but I was blown away by how completely frickin' awesome it was.[/FONT]

Also speaking of our good friend the Nostalgia Critic, the [b]Super Mario Bros. Super Show[/b] is pretty awful. Very traumatizing to someone who basically worshipped Nintendo as a young'un.

[b]Ninja Turtles II[/b] is totally in So Bad It's Good territory for me, though. It's so goofy, corny and lame that I can't hate it.

[quote name='Ace'][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Speaking of the Nostalgia Critic, apparently [B]Rock-A-Doodle[/B] actually kinda sucked.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

[color=darkblue][size=1]Hey, man. Rock-A-Doodle has So Bad It's Good status. I can still sing that song word for word. And you have to love the owl scene. EVIL OWLS, MAN.

Also, what sort of bit for me was rewatching [b]Flint the Time Detective[/b]. Outside of the opening theme song with the Flint Dance, I spent the whole time facepalming. Also has So Bad It's Good status, but cripes.[/color][/size]

Have to agree on [B]Rock-A-Doodle[/B]. I saw it again fairly recently and it still has entertainment value... although that whole going-into-Edmund's-mind-thing was like nightmare fuel.

One thing that's kinda been spoiled for me now is [B]Pokemon: The First Movie[/B]. I actually own the DVD to this (bought it several years back) but... well, let's go ahead and mention our good friend the Nostalgia Critic again! Yeah, I watched his review/episode on the movie and dang the movie really is lame. lol It wasn't just the NC who opened my eyes; after watching my own copy of it some time back, I kinda saw it then too...

I still contend that there [i]are[/i] decent Pokemon movies, just that [b]Pokemon: The First Movie[/b] isn't one of 'em.

[quote name='Miss Anonymous']
I still contend that there [i]are[/i] decent Pokemon movies, just that [b]Pokemon: The First Movie[/b] isn't one of 'em.[/QUOTE]

:(

Mine was when I was re-watching [B]Peter Pan[/B]. I know it's a classic, but it just annoyed me so very, very much...>< I couldn't get through more than 30 minutes.

Another one was, like Miss Anonymous', a Pokemon movie. But it was the second one. I know I loved it as a kid, but I recently re-watched it and just couldn't help but hating that Ash was always called "The Chosen One" through the entire thing. Chosen by whom? Why can't Jigglypuff be the chosen one?! Not to mention I forgot how much I really detested Ash's voice. Especially when he falls or something.:animedepr

[quote name='Shinmaru']Also speaking of our good friend the Nostalgia Critic, the [b]Super Mario Bros. Super Show[/b] is pretty awful. Very traumatizing to someone who basically worshipped Nintendo as a young'un. [/QUOTE][font=helvetica]I had only the vaguest memories of watching that show. When I tried to describe it to someone, they gently informed me that Mario starred in video games, not cartoons. Well, I know [i]that![/i]

When Lou Albano died a little while ago, my beau had us sit down and watch an episode or two in his memory. It was truly terrible, in a charmingly corny sort of way.[/font]

[font=lucida fax]I am afraid to start watching the Thief & the Cobbler, out of fear that it might be less freaking almightily awesome than I remember it to be.

On a sidenote: PEOPLE HAVE GOT TO STOP CARING ABOUT WHAT SOME DUDE WITH GLASSES ON THE INTERNET IS SAYING.[/FONt]

[quote name='Boo'][font=lucida fax]On a sidenote: PEOPLE HAVE GOT TO STOP CARING ABOUT WHAT SOME DUDE WITH GLASSES ON THE INTERNET IS SAYING.[/FONt][/QUOTE]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]I totally would if he wasn't right 83% of the time (the other 17% being the time he made fun of Mako Iwamatsu in his CGI Ninja Turtles review.)[/FONT]

[quote name='Ace'][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]I totally would if he wasn't right 83% of the time [/FONT][/QUOTE][font=lucida fax]Well he isn't, so you can stop caring now. :^D He's just some lame'o bearded dude with glasses who thinks himself funny. Pretty much like 83% of the internet.[/font]

[quote name='Boo'][font=lucida fax]I am afraid to start watching the Thief & the Cobbler, out of fear that it might be less freaking almightily awesome than I remember it to be.[/FONt][/QUOTE]

[font=franklin gothic medium]If you do watch it, you'll have to let us know if it's still awesome. I have pretty fond memories of it from my childhood, but I almost need someone to test the waters after my TMNT experience.

(Speaking of TMNT though, watching the old live action film actually underscored how solid the newer CGI movie was - if you think the new one is lame, just go back and compare it to the old ones!)[/font]

[quote name='Boo'][font=lucida fax]I am afraid to start watching the Thief & the Cobbler, out of fear that it might be less freaking almightily awesome than I remember it to be.[/FONt][/QUOTE]

No, it's still awesome. Or at least, [B]I[/B] think it is. I just really hate the Princess' name, still. :animedepr I adore the thief.

When I was a kid, one of my favorite movies was "Snoopy Come Home". I watched this movie several times, and thought it was the best Peanuts movie produced. It is kind of long, and basically about Snoopy leaving Charlie's side because he receives a letter from his previous master who's sick in the hospital.

Several months ago I found the movie on the net, and went ahead and watched it, and it was just awful. It was a really depressing movie. First, Snoopy and Charlie got into these "violent" fights. They were like a couple in a really bad relationship.

Then, on his journey, Snoopy gets captured by this psychotic girl who ties him on a rope that's basically a noose. She would drag him around on this noose while he's obviously suffocating and crying. When he tries to escape she beats the crap out of him! lol.

The pacing was just awful, long-winded. And the songs were all creepy and depressing. I was so dissapointed after watching it as an adult. What an awful movie-- but sort of funny watching it now.

.....But I think kids will like it if they don't think too much about it. ;)

[quote name='visualkei']When I was a kid, one of my favorite movies was "Snoopy Come Home". [...] Several months ago I found the movie on the net, and went ahead and watched it, and it was just awful.[/QUOTE][font=helvetica]On the other hand, if I recall correctly, it had a [i]really kickin' song.[/i]

Ahah! I found it. [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfuZfAw4r0M#t=4m11s][b]This song[/b][/url] raises the awesomeness of this movie quite significantly.[/font]

• 3 weeks later...
I found Conan the Barbarian and Conan the Destroyer for $8 in Blockbuster last week. I made this big *** event out of watching them and all, only to get about half-way through Barbarian and turn it off.

Turns out the world's not as epic with poor visual effects.

-Justin

[COLOR="Navy"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]I found Freakin Fraggle Rock the other day and about flipped a lid. I remember watching that show when I was my kids age.

My oldest son is no offically addicted to it. XD

Also found The Pagemaster, that one brought back memories for me of me and my brother watching it all the time. It's a good movie, bad graphics or not. lol.

And as a side note, Rock-a-Doodle was and still is one of my top favorites. I suppose it has most to do with that was my gradfather's favorite movie and we used to watch it together all the time before he passed away a few years ago. I still wish I could find a copy of it to this day, just in memory of him. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Knuckles' Girl'][COLOR="Navy"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]I found Freakin Fraggle Rock the other day and about flipped a lid. I remember watching that show when I was my kids age.[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE][font=secret font!][size=3]My beau and I have started watching that on Netflix. It's pretty fantastic. [/size][/font]

[SIZE="1"][COLOR=#35425e]Oh wow. You know what? Lady Gaga's production numbers always remind me of [B]Jem and the Holograms[/B]. Used to watch it every weekend back when I was a liiiiittle kid.
[CENTER]
[I]Jem is my name
No one else is the same
Jem is my name![/CENTER][/I][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='visualkei']When I was a kid, one of my favorite movies was "Snoopy Come Home". I watched this movie several times, and thought it was the best Peanuts movie produced. It is kind of long, and basically about Snoopy leaving Charlie's side because he receives a letter from his previous master who's sick in the hospital.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Justin']I found Conan the Barbarian and Conan the Destroyer for $8 in Blockbuster last week. I made this big *** event out of watching them and all, only to get about half-way through Barbarian and turn it off.[/quote]

[size=1][color=darkred]Oh, y'all are some of the most evilist people ever to even bring those movies up. Those are some of the worst movies ever, and Snoopy, that stupid tune always got stuck in my head. Snooo-oooo-oopy, Snooo-oooo-oopy.. X_X (RAGE!!!!)

And thinking about those movies automatically made me think about movies like He-Man (ewwww!!!!), Howard the Duck, and Monster Squad (LOL!!! Movie was so corny that it was actually pretty good)

Speaking of nostalgic stuff...

Ever 80's child knows something about

[Youtube]HnsHpPNltBw[/youtube]

Dangit, James, this thread is awesome, but you're pretty evil to be causing bad memories. (It's sad, too, because I know the words to that song too.... "dies")[/size][/color]

[SIZE=1]Saw [B]Theme Hospital [/B]in my local Gamestop for ?4 yesterday and knew I must absolutely have it. Got home, stuck it in the drive, when to install and was told "Sorry you have a 64-bit system therefore this game will not play". Some googling later I did manage to get it to play, and save but sadly it still crashed quite a bit.

I have to say though the last 13 years haven't dulled this game's shine one bit, it's still immensely fun to construct your own little hospital and watch people wading through and Bloaty Head remains my favourite comical disease. [/SIZE]

When I was little I used to really love the movie Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. I used to watch it all the time. After several years, I decided to watch it and I had to turn it off after thirty minutes. Ugh...the singing was horrendous and the stupidity....

I still love Dick Van Dyke though....but that movie? Nooooo!!