OtakuBoards

Fullmetal Alchemist

Guest dark kitsune

Guest dark kitsune
I'm wondering if any of you watch it. I just finished watching episode 7 and damned if it didn't make me cry....

So anybody into this particular anime as much as me? From what I've seen so far this anime is incredible. The character development, plot and artwork are great.

If you haven't seen it yet...then get busy!

I watch Full Metal Alchemist!!! I haven't had the chance to watch episode 7 yet because of all the film papers that I've got to write, but thanks for the tearjerker warning ^_^ I'll be prepared with a box of tissues beside me! ^_^

From what I've seen so far, I don't see a connection with Full Metal Panic, but I could be wrong. The only reason it's called Full Metal Alchemist is because [spoiler]the protagonist is an alchemist who has gone beyond the laws of alchemy to attempt in reviving his dead mother, but because this is forbidden, he's doomed living his life with a metal arm and leg, and his brother, who was his accomplice, was only able to survive through the project when his brother trapped his soul into a suit of metal armor. [/spoiler] Confused yet? LOL. My apologies if I didn't explain it very well, but it's a great anime, and well worth watching!!! ^_^

• 5 months later...
Guest gendou ikari
Full Metal alchemist,a show with promising results,and fasicnating character development. While not one of my favorite series, Full Metal alchemist shows exactly what an anime should be.Funny.Original.Thought Provoking.Great character development.And the only thing I don't like in the show...

An average plot.Anyway,I was curious to whether or whether or not you like this anime, I have met fanatics of the show, Haters of the show, and people who say "what?" and I still think, that if they saw the whole series, that they would love it (if not ADORE it)

It caught my attention when I saw it in a website, and ever since I have loved it. (however NOT more than Evangelion,Boogiepop Phantom,or Peace Maker Kurogane)

Full Metal Alchemist revolves around to brothers who are orthodoxly coming of age don't get me wrong, because I use the word orthodox, from here on it's completely original.The main character of the show is extremely interesting, stricking a well placed balance between comedy and drama.His name is Edward Elric (funny un- Japanes names huh?)who is a licsensed Alchemist, tools of government.Alchemists use signs to cast their alchemy;however Edward does not need to cast signs and makes it look extremely easy! He also sold his arm and leg to save the soul of his brother, yet imprisoning him in an iron cage (his emotions are still visible through his eyes)

Please tell me what you think of it , what episodes you've seen, and your favorite characters.

Ah FMA.

I read a few chapters of the Manga and I watched a few of the episodes.
Although the series didn't appeal to me so much all my friends are addicted to it.

The story is actually not that bad. Full of dark subplots and twists. The animation is of new style and the characters are really funny. The powes and the concept of renkin-jitsu(sp?) is great too! Love the Alchemy theme. :)

What I think bothered me the most was the character designs. Yes, they were pretty funny and some were pretty cool, but I found them too extreme or unbelievable. But meh, that's just my opinion. Can't beat the hundreds of people downloading the newest episode every day. :)

-ArV

Guest gendou ikari
The character designs (in my opinion) were rather nice, the only problem I have with Full Metal Alchemist is the fact that the plot is a bit orthodox.

The alchemy theme, on the other hand, is very original. I love how the alchemists have to draw the alchemic signs(with chalk), and the weapons they can create from alchemy is also pretty neat.

Does anyone know where I can download episodes?I only imported the episodes I saw.

FMA (Full Metal Alchemist) is a very good series, from what I saw, in a way it reminded me of Inu-yasha (the way the characters are, "grouped")

FMA is a series that you don't want to miss, it is inovative and clear, this is an absoloute must-see.

Here is my rating of the new series Full Metal Alchemist.

Good=+
Bad=-
Strange= :confused:

+Good character development and emotions.
-Average plot
+ Original use of magic,in the form of alchemy
? Why is Ed Elric so serious at times, when at other times, he is the funniest character in the show?

Favorite character- Ed, strikes the perfect balance between drama and comedy
Favorite aspect- The alchemisc weapons creation, definatly.
Favorite saying- Alchemy, science of the devil.

I'm still a pretty avid Full Metal Alchemist fan i've only seen up to episode 28 and have some of the manga downloaded on my PC (I haven't read it yet though >_>), but what just occured to me is that the one thing i'm not liking about the series is how the plot has only made minor leaps and bounds in the last few episodes, I just feel the pacing of the series has kind of slowed. It's still an enjoyable anime I just hope *and am pretty sure it will* pick up pace and momentum sometime within the next few episodes =)!

Anyway there is nothing wrong with "unbelievable" character designs then again you look at any anime and the character designs are "unbelievable", and i'd have to disagree about the character designs being too extreme as well =P. Al's character design is really one of the only desgins i'd consider "out there" but meh that's just me i'll elaborate further once i finish my homework >_>

Guest gendou ikari
Hmmmmmmmm.... I have to agree with every thing you said Hitokiri Zero. Al's model really is "out there", isn't it? Where can you get the episodes? I only have a couple of the episodes on imported DVD.

I would appreciate it if you were to reply in answer to my question.

Thank you, and Dzey jenn. :D

Yeah, you're right. Characters don't have to be totally perfect to be realistic and even when they so extravagent you just /know/ they'd never exist in real life, the characters can still be fun to watch.

Though I found something about these characters that I just didn't like. I guess I'm not sure what it is...
But it annoyed me to the point of not watching the series.

My friends still watch the series and I know that many people do. Lots of people download it from people who fansub and release it online. [COLOR=DarkRed][i]link removed[/i][/COLOR]

-ArV

[COLOR=Navy]In the future, avoid posting links to illegal material. That sort of activity should be restricted to PMs. ^_~

~Dagger~[/COLOR]

[size=1][color=dimgray] I really enjoy watching FMA, even though I'm only on the twelveth episode... I heard the series gets a lot better later. So all I can do, is wait and see. But so far, its good, but nothing "amazing" IMO. At least [i]so far[/i]. I do, although enjoy the whole idea of alchemy, and everything. I fiorst heard about this anime at a different forum a little while ago. Soo..I thought I'd check it out :p I think that FMA's characters are VERY simillar to Trigun's.[/color][/size]
[size=1][color=#696969][/color][/size]
[size=1][color=#696969]Edward Elric and Vash the Stampede. Both are sometimes the silliest of characters, but at other times they are the most serious people ever... [/color][/size]
[size=1][color=#696969][/color][/size]
[size=1][color=#696969]I'm eager to see why many people like this anime a lot. That's why I'll try to continue watching it till' the end of the series.[/color][/size]

Guest gendou ikari
Hmmmm...I'm getting some interesting remark's, please keep it up! So far, have seen up to episode 15 and it is a very good seies,I don't know who produced it though, could someone please fill me in? Thank you, and Dzey Jenn.

Full Metal Alchemist is produced by Studio Bones and Square-Enix I believe o_O. I think sony are the ones masterminding the music though and errr... yeah I think that answered your question :P. Anyway i'm eagerly awaiting for AKeep to release episode 29 the episode "preview" i've read of it has made it seem to be more of a character building type episode [spoiler]at the end of episode 28 a boy emerges from the forest before Ed, Al, and his teacher who had come to bring Ed & Al back from their training on the island; I'm pretty sure that boy is one of the "Seven Deadly Sins" (Such as Lust and Gluttony are); basically the "Bad Guys" in Full Metal Alchemist are known as the Sins due to their names and are named after the 7 sins in the bible that would cause you to go to hell. Which one of the Sins he is I have no idea, but he's either Sloth, Anger/Wrath, or Pride. I'll guess pride but that's just me x_X.[/spoiler]

Guest gendou ikari
Good observaton Hitokiri Zero. But anyways, I just recently downloaded some of the manga (up to chapter 30, I think) and downloaded some of the fansubbed FMA episodes. All I don't understand is that, [spoiler]why would Ed take part in a taboo ritual ,where he had to sacrifice half of his own body, and the intirity of his brothers body, just to revieve his dead mother.[/spoiler]

I am currently getting interested in the manga, more so than I am the anime, it is simply amazing! Thank you for your time, and Dzey Jenn. :D

[COLOR=#503F86][SIZE=1][b]Even though what you described happened in the first episode, I added spoiler tags to be on the safe side. -Solo[/COLOR][/SIZE][/b]

[QUOTE=gendou ikari]Good observaton Hitokiri Zero. But anyways, I just recently downloaded some of the manga (up to chapter 30, I think) and downloaded some of the fansubbed FMA episodes. All I don't understand is that, [spoiler]why would Ed take part in a taboo ritual ,where he had to sacrifice half of his own body, and the intirity of his brothers body, just to revieve his dead mother.[/spoiler]

I am currently getting interested in the manga, more so than I am the anime, it is simply amazing! Thank you for your time, and Dzey Jenn. :D

[COLOR=#503F86][SIZE=1][b]Even though what you described happened in the first episode, I added spoiler tags to be on the safe side. -Solo[/COLOR][/SIZE][/b][/QUOTE]

[spoiler]What happened was the brothers did not obey the law of conservation

"To gain something you need something of equal value"

They did not know this when they tried to revive their mother, they tried to gain something (their mother) and did give something of equal value

That's why Ed lost his arm and leg and Alphonse lost his body[/spoiler]

Episode 29 dips back into the realm of freakyness and sheds some more light on what happened when Ed and Al tried to resurrect their mother. [spoiler]The fact that the boy found on the island has both Ed's arm and leg was kind of disturbing and so was the part where he transmuted himself to the bed o_O, what's up with Ed and Al's Sensei too? She seems to have some sort of disease/sickness as she started coughing up blood at the end again... Interesting developments just a little freaky... *waits for episode 30* [/spoiler].

Guest Grifstar
I've seen FMA, and it's one of my top favorites right now. I'm still rather new to it tho.. I've only seen up to episode 6 but I'm going to continue with it soon.. after I'm done with Matantei Loki Ragnarok, which I'm very close to finshing up

Full Metal Alchemist is up there among my favorites... it's gotten way more interesting than I ever thought it would, and there is so much to think about. I've had hour-long discussions when it comes to puzzling over the latest developments, and that pretty much bumps the show up to near the top of my list of GOOD STUFF.

I haven't seen enough anime (in my opinion, at least) to be able to say if I think the plot is ordinary, but I feel like the characters are complex enough that if I'm not interested in the plot, I always have something to wonder about when it comes to each person's next move. I just got episode 30 yesterday, and I'll probably watch it several more times... every time they answer one of my questions, they bring up twelve more! It's mind-devouringly wonderful! *glee*

I feel like alchemy was an excellent choice instead of any other sort of historical magic... it gives the whole show a different feel than most animes that involve magic or the supernatural. I mean... there's still something very real and scientific about it, even if the concept is magical or mystical. *grin*

I got my hands on an art book at a convention near me recently, but I haven't seen the manga... is it actually out in the US, or would I have to dig for fan-scan-translation things?

[quote name='alphonse][font=Comic Sans MS']its like so cool..i love alphonse so much....he so cool....OMFFG..imma noit kidding..i actually named myself after him..haaahaahah...love fullmetal alchemist lots...such a gd anime to watch..man i gottas go watch 29 and 30..damn..!!ehehhe[/font][/quote]
[COLOR=#503F86]Alphonse, this is complete spam. Please put a lot more thought and effort into your future posts. Use proper grammar and at least post something interesting to read. As this is, it's incoherent and pointless. I suggest you take a look at the OtakuBoards [URL=http://www.otakuboards.com/rules.php?]Rules[/URL] before going any further.[/COLOR]

Where can you find FMA? I haven't seen any of it yet, but I have read posts and full scale reveiws and I keep geting mor and more interested in it. If its a Japanese source forget it, unless it is also dubbed. I'm no translator. Thanks to whomever answers this. :D

Yasuhiko, FMA digisubs are quite easy to acquire. If you don't know how to download them, just PM me and I'll try to respond as soon as I have a spare moment or two.

Several months ago, I downloaded the first episode of Full Metal Alchemist and thought it was utterly atrocious... probably because I was in a foul mood and expected the series to be some brilliant work of genius. This afternoon I decided (in a minor fit of procrastination) to take a look at episode 2. To my own surprise, I ended up enjoying it quite a bit.

The background music is pretty good--a bit cliched during some scenes, but borderline haunting in others--and Edward makes a fantastic main character. He's just so easy to root for. However, I still have little reason to think that the anime will be anything spectacular.... it's not nearly as funny as Yu Yu Hakusho, and the action has absolutely nothing on Get Backers (another 52 episode series) or Peace Maker Kurogane. On the other hand, Ed is awesome. I love his facial expressions. ^_^ The plot's dark undertones definitely appeal to me, so I'm hoping to see more... er, disturbing stuff. I suspect that I won't have any problems with potential filler, considering that I didn't mind all the random craziness in PMK.

You know, I sort of feel as though the first two episodes are a mildly crappy Kino's Journey rip-off. Obviously the plot is heading somewhere entirely different, so I can't complain all that much, but certain moments gave me a powerful sense of deja vu (I could swear that the exact same priest appears in both shows!).

~Dagger~

The biggest problem with the first few episodes is that they jump around the time line a bit but the events that happen are brought up again later which makes it quite interesting as for the action scenes my biggest grip is that most of them are somewhat short, there is one particular battle scene in which Ed fight's a armored warrior [SPOILER] the "armored warrior" is actually like Al, only it's two soulds transmuted into one body of armor ^_^[/spoiler] which was really well done in my opinion and has probably been the best fight scene so far,that's not until episode 20 something x_X. As for the dark undertones FMA has a weird way of kind of working them, while the series starts out with alot of them it kind of fades away from them and then comes right back to them in one way or another which ususally provides for a quite freaky yet enjoyable experience. :rolleyes:

[FONT=Century Gothic][COLOR=Blue]I started watching FMA through a suggestion from a friend a couple of months ago. Now each week I wait eagerly for the next episode to be subbed. I really can't explain why this show appeals to me soo much. I think it is the story line. I have to agree with you that the first couple episodes where a little slow, but when they start going into Ed and Al's past, you see what a hard time they really had. You can see what a deep bond the brothers share with each other at many points in the series. Although this show is not as funny as some other ones out there, humor is not the main focus of the show. Brothers' search is what the show mainly follows.

The character designs are well drawn and the background music is simply gorugous at times. The sountrack is pretty good, and although most of the music has a sad sense to it, it really fits in with the show. My favorite song from the soundtrack is the song called "Brothers" which is played often in the series, most rememberable when Ed and Al burn their house.

This show is a great series, and I would recomend it to anyone who would like to try something new.[/COLOR][/FONT]

Well, I have great news for all of you FMA fans.

[quote name='Anime on DVD']According to the PS2 site on IGN, FUNimation announced Full Metal Alchemist at E3 this week. "Funimation will handle distributing the Fullmetal Alchemist cartoon in North America -- a cartoon that has already sold 51 episodes to Cartoon Network for an October air date." According to those who were at the conference, there has been no mention of which flavor of Cartoon Network it'll be on (Adult Swim or Toonami) while the disc release is apparently slated for January 2005 in the now becoming traditional method for FUNimation of the single disc and starter kit method.[/quote]

From what I've seen, Full Metal Alchemist would probably be very successful on either Toonami or Adult Swim--and when it comes to Saturday nights, the two time blocks are virtually indistinguishable. I think a lot of people expected FUNimation to license FMA (especially since they'd already registered a FMA-related domain name), but it's nice that we've received some kind of confirmation.

EDIT: Here's a [URL=http://ps2.ign.com/articles/513/513178p1.html?fromint=1][u]link[/u][/URL] to the IGN article.

~Dagger~

[FONT=Century Gothic][COLOR=Blue]In a way it makes me sad that I can't get my FMA fix every Monday now, but I'm glad that more people will get to see it, espcially if it is being aired on CN. But I thought FMA only had 50 episodes? Did I read it wrong somewhere? Does it really have 51?? (Not that it makes that much of a difference, but I was wondering.)[/COLOR][/FONT]

Yey and no at the same time :rolleyes:. I haven't bought anime on dvd for a loooooong time atleast this will motivate me to get a job again so I actually have use for the money I earn this time...

I think it will be interesting to see how FMA is brought over to Cartoon Network though o_O, i'm wondering if instead of trying to air it super late night as they have done with many of their quality anime series if they will actually get the brains to air it some time earlier so it can be viewed by more people...

On second thought this somewhat sucks in my case because at the rate CN will air FMA and the rate which the DVDs will be released i'll have to wait a year or more until I can actually see new episodes :bawl: ! Gah evil marketing ploys (j/k)... Then again I could probably find some outside fansub group that will still sub FMA, but that's illegal so why would I do that :p... (stares in horror at spanish FMA fansubs that he just stumbled upon...) -_-.

Eh well more of a rant than a real post so I should just stop here... although...

I'm wondering what VA's they'll get to play the parts in FMA it'll be interesting to see the dub (I say interesting to see but most likely painful to hear), and whether FMA really does air on Toonami or AS it makes more sense to air it on AS due to some of the events half-way through the series as well as the first few episodes which may be perceived as "disturbing" by some.