OtakuBoards

Fullmetal Alchemist

Guest dark kitsune

[FONT="Microsoft Sans Serif"][SIZE="1"]I gotta say, I'm really enjoying Todd Haberkorn's performance as Ling right from the get-go. I dunno what it is, but I loved it the minute I heard his voice. [spoiler]And the stereotypical Asian accent he put on for the "I NO SPEAK THIS COUNTRY LANGUAGE" line was absolutely beautiful and brilliant, and I applaud him for being brave enough to do it. XD[/spoiler][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Ace'][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Yaay the Xing cast have arrived!

Also the opening this week was Hologram, but they credited it as "Again", which was the previous opening theme.

EDIT: Oh, by the way, Ling is Death the Kid. That rocks.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Red"]...great, now I'll be expecting Ling to go on about how Wrath's eyes are unsymmetrical or something.[/COLOR]

• 3 weeks later...
So I ended up catching the latest episode, finally. (It seems like it's been forever)

Ling (or Lin? I just read it, but I can't remember the spelling for nothing), from reading the manga, I have to say I was not expecting a voice like whatsoever. I had him pegged as a more Eric Vale-ish type or someone with a more raspy voice. [spoiler]Because of things to come....[/spoiler] Or at the very least, Maes Hughes-ish. And then there's Hawkeye... Is that really Colleen Clinkenbeard? When she was on the radio with Mustang, I could've sworn she sounded a lot like Michelle Ruff.

[color="#9932CC"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]Yep, that's her. I guess that's what happens when [spoiler]Riza loosens up a bit, even if it's just for show.[/spoiler] That and she's got a pretty good vocal range.

As for Ling [I've not read the manga in forever, so I don't know if Viz fixed his name or not], I was completely expecting him to be voiced by Aaron Dismuke, since Funi had been saying he would return for a "major role". [spoiler]According to ANN and MAL, that major role is young!Hohenheim.[/spoiler] Nevertheless, as I said in my previous post, I am quite enjoying his performance. He can pull off the sinister voice almost perfectly [spoiler]which, as you said, will be vital for what's to come.[/spoiler]

Anyway, I missed the initial airing of the most recent episode, since my cable went out and didn't come back on 'til it was over, but I did manage to catch it again on AS's repeat...at 3 AM. Solid episode all around. I'm getting really excited for this series -- it's getting more and more interesting now that it's in manga-only territory.[/font][/color] Edited by Vivian

I enjoyed the latest episode. [spoiler]The close-up of Lust chest and the bouncing effect[/spoiler], I don't recall it being in the manga, but it added a nice bit of comedy in a serious situation.. Not many series does that these days (at least not that I'm aware of. Bleach did it in it's early stages and then it seemed to have lost it). I'm not a fan of that type of fanservice, but that was nicely played. Mustang remains to be a pimp.

[spoiler]No more Lust :( :angry: [/spoiler] Makes me mad, happy and sad.

I'm still trying to get used to Ling's voice... (It's going to come up everytime I hear it lol) That's just not what I pictured lol.

• 1 month later...
I'm catching up on the English dub at the moment, and in the episode where [spoiler]Mustang roasts the hell out of Lust[/spoiler], I'll be shocked if Laura Bailey's throat wasn't torn to shreds after all that horrifying screaming. Dear god. I prefer Kikuko Inoue to Bailey, but damned if Bailey didn't totally sell that pain.

• 4 weeks later...
[color="#4169E1"]I take it we are all speaking about FMA brotherhood installation of the series yeah? Well, I watched FMA years ago. Actually on the date of it first release. I also read the entire manga... so im wondering, does Broherhood have anything else to offer me, is it worth going out of my way and taking time to watch it? I highly fanatical about it, but im just not sure if it has anything to tell me that I dont know already?

Either that or the storyboard and animation has to be excellent for me to watch a repeated story.

So, any thoughts on this guys?[/color]

As far as I know Brotherhood is just an animated version of the manga. I haven't been keeping up with Brotherhood as much as I would like to but in terms of animation it's definately no slouch. It's very colorful, but I still prefer the original anime compared to Brotherhood, but that's just for animation only.

I've seen the original anime and I'm currently watching Brotherhood so I can vouche for the quality of the new series.  Even though it's an alternate retelling (based more on the manga) than a sequel it's still worth watching if you're a fan of the show.  There's some new material and some of the old material is seen from a different angle. It's definitely worth your time to check this one out.

• 2 months later...
I never really had much of an issue with Ed x Rose (but then again I never bothered to pay attention to all that stuff). My issue with the original series was Ed and Al. While they both had their moments I found them too annoying to even care about them. The only reason I enjoyed the original series was because of the supporting characters (outside of Winry). Brotherhood on the otherhand made Ed and Al far more enjoyable since Ed lost the obnoxious bratty moments and Al don't really seem to whine as much. So I definately like and prefer Brotherhood over the original.

[color="#9932CC"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]While I agree that Ed was quite a brat in the original, Al never really came off as "whiny" to me. I know he had that one deal where he freaks out about Ed potentially fabricating his memories, but outside of that, I don't really remember any time where he whined. And even then, he hadn't even hit puberty when he was bound to the suit of armor, so he was still very mentally immature.

Anyway, as I have said on multiple occasions, I'm in the minority; I prefer the original anime over Brotherhood and the manga. And I really could not tell you why. I acknowledge the character development and the fact that the story is better, since it had more time to develop, but...they just have not been able to hold my interest as much as the first series did. I got bored of the manga sometime after [spoiler]true!Pride[/spoiler] was introduced, and I had a hard time keeping focused on Brotherhood once the Xingians rolled around. Maybe it's my overall decrease in interest of most anime, I dunno. But I just can't get into Brotherhood/the manga; I will probably always prefer the original.[/font][/color] Edited by Sangome

I guess it's the earlier episodes that really gave me the impression of Al being whiny. (Granted they were suppose to be his comical moments but still)

[quote]And even then, he hadn't even hit puberty when he was bound to the suit of armor, so he was still very mentally immature.[/quote]

"Cough" [strike]No Excuses[/strike]. This is probably the biggest reason why I don't need to watch anime with kids/teens being the lead characters because I have a tendency to want to see toughness at all times, and I also tend to overlook any and all sorts of realism when it comes to character development lol. (How is this possible when I can't be bothered to watch Gurren Lagann?)

I can understand why you or any other person prefer the original, Sangome. In terms of artwork and animation I still prefer the original. And I totally understand what you mean about losing interest in anime because I'm in the same boat (perhaps different reasoning).

[quote name='Oukan05' date='17 November 2003 - 11:51 PM' timestamp='1069131083' post='380039']
Is this part of Full Metal Panic? If not, I'm looking forward into finding it. I'm just alittle curious; because I've heard alot of different titles begining with Full Metal.:worried: I don't know if they're the same or not.:nervous:
[/quote]

Nope, they're completely different! Fullmetal Alchemist have a completely different plot than Fullmetal Panic. It's funny, sad, and really enjoyable. You should really really watch it. :sweatdrop:

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
I'm just posting here to leave proof that FMA and FMAB are still attracting new viewers. I watched both series in completion, a couple months ago, and would watch again. It took a few episodes to really get, into it. But it was worth sticking with it to the end.

I empathize with Winry, cause I'm always waiting weeks, months, years, to see the FEW people who matter to me. When they finally return, it's usually cause they need a favor or something. Then, when they get what they came for, they're gone again....

And I'm left waiting.

Winry's life SUX, so I feel for her.

(It's odd identifying with made up characters...) Edited by Madoka

• 3 weeks later...

I had watched parts of the original series in the past but only got around to fully watching both series over the summer myself and I definitely enjoyed them. My friend told me that Brotherhood was much better and I didn't quite understand how until finishing both. I definitely enjoyed the original but Brotherhood does seem to be an all around better story.

(I know what you mean. It's a strange moment when you realize you're thinking about these characters as real people.)

• 1 month later...

Oh, I love Fullmetal Alchemist~~ 

the weird thing about getting into the series for me was that I wasn't as interested in it in Middle School when I first picked it up...

then, 6-7 years later, saw it on Netflix and decided to give it a shot again. Ended up watching the entire original anime and brotherhood as well as both movies/even the OVAs (the Brotherhood OVAs are really worth checking out for anyone that's really into the series~). 

Ended up getting obsessed and cosplaying as Ed XD. 

I like both the Original and Brotherhood, though it seems Brotherhood tied up a lot of plot questions towards the end, and everything came together neatly and it was a nice, warm ending ^^. For the Original, they got really creative because the manga was not finished at the time, so the story deviated. 

(you know it's a well-written character when you can identify with them as if they were actual people...I also felt Winry's pain when she was frustrated because Ed and Al would not tell her anything, and she would worry about them. I know how that feels XD;. It makes you worry more not knowing sometimes!). 

I loved both of the FMAs... and I think its better that you watched it later. watching the original series in highschool probably messed me up a bit.

As for comparing the two... I agree with Petie, The ending comparison puts Brotherhood on top. There is something the original holds over Brotherhood. The slower pace allows you to really fall in love with the characters, and makes you feel twice as bad when they die. I was emotionaly crushed for days after a certain guy recieved his two rank promotion.