OtakuBoards

Fullmetal Alchemist

Guest dark kitsune

[color=#9933ff][font=lucida calligraphy]Okay I got into Full Metal Alchemist because a friend of mine (who I shall call Fanisa) was talking about it and one night we both stayed up until two AM watching it over the phone on Cartoon Network. I believe it was the episode where they're on the train. It was entertaining and I thought Al was darling and Hughes was practically insane talking about his kids (I guess he does it through most of the show)

I do like the show, but I don't think I like any show enough to stay up until Two in the morning to watch it. So instead I plan on buying one of the box sets I saw on Amazon. According to Fanisa they're worth the eighty or so bucks the sellers want and most of them come with the movie.

And now looking at this post I realize that I should wait until after I watch more than one episode. Even though the episode was really good[/color][/font]

Just as a note, I'm not aware of any legit box sets that also include the movie. FUNimation is currently re-releasing FMA in sets of (roughly) 16 episodes each. (Example at Amazon [url=http://www.amazon.com/Fullmetal-Alchemist-Season-Part-Box/dp/B000WE5I1U/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1199075043&sr=8-2][u]here[/u][/url]). Anything that's available solely on Amazon Marketplace--as opposed to the main site--is probably going to be a bootleg, since everything that FUNimation has released related to the series is still in print, except for the limited edition artboxes.

Regardless, it's a great show. More worth buying than ever, with the lower-priced sets coming out.

~Dagger~

[quote name='hiei luver92']oky doky, there's a question i have for everyone! i am currently reading/watching fma. i've seen the ending, and watched the movie, (i'm currently at the part when greed first enters the scene in the manga) but the middle is still a mystery. there's a guy named pride, now i was under the impression [spoiler]that was the fuher,[/spoiler] or wat not. but i've seen these pics of a homoculous looking version of ed and they say that's pride. so i'm confused. can someone help me?

hiei luver[/QUOTE]

As a very belated response, since no one else has said it yet, here I go: [spoiler]Bradley both is and isn't Pride. It's a long and complicated story, but the short end is that the manga and anime experience a gaping storyline split around the Laboratory 5 incident. In the manga, the fuhrer is Wrath. Pride is Selim. The little kid who's Wrath in the anime doesn't exist in the manga.[/spoiler]

Anyway, I haven't watched in a while and stopped around episode 25, but I think I prefer the manga storyline to the anime. However, I plan on watching the rest of the anime when I get the chance. I definitely like both.

• 7 months later...
[SIZE="1"]Holy necromancy, Batman!

Why did I revive this thread? Well.

[url]http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-08-20/new-fullmetal-alchemist-tv-anime-series-confirmed[/url]

Or for those too lazy to click:

[QUOTE]The wraparound jacket band on the 20th volume of Hiromu Arakawa's Fullmetal Alchemist manga will confirm on Friday that a new television anime series is in the works. A new anime series was a topic of much fan discussion for several months, but it was thrust into a more public spotlight last month when a management document was purportedly leaked from the BONES anime studio. The document listed Fullmetal Alchemist animator Yasuhiro Irie as "Hagane 2 kantoku" (Iron/Fullmetal 2 director). [/QUOTE]

*insert many OMGs here*

The article goes on elaborating about the leak. I know rumors have been circulating for forever, but this is pretty much the real deal. [I mean, the TotA anime was leaked just a few days before being formally announced, too, so.] DISCUSS!!!1

[Addendum: ...I just looked back in this thread and read some of my old posts from a good two years ago. Ew ew ew ew ew ew ew ew ew killitwithfire. D:][/SIZE]

As long as it's still by Bones (which seems likely), I eagerly await this. :catgirl:

To be honest, I didn't like the manga story much compared to the anime-original content, but hey, I'll probably enjoy it much more in animated form. And it'll be widescreen this time, of course, which alone makes it plenty worthwhile in my eyes.

~Dagger~

[SIZE="1"]You're not alone. I preferred the anime over the manga [which is apparently a cardinal sin nowadays in the FMA fandom...]. I dunno, it just held my interest more. I read the manga for a good long while until it got so incredibly boring, so I stopped around the chapter 60-67 zone.

Anyways, to be back on topic for the [i]anime[/i]...heck, actually, if this does indeed turn out to be based on the manga [all signs point to yes, unless I missed something], maybe it'll grab my attention more.

...I was almost gonna go on hoping that this will come to the U.S., but there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that it will. [FUNi would be downight [i]insane[/i] if they didn't license it.] Though the thing I worry about that is the fact that if they indeed brought back the original voice cast [again, not doing so would be insane, or not even attempting to, at least], Aaron Dismuke is all grown up, and sounds nothing like Alphonse now...[/SIZE]

[url=http://www.atalude.net/archives/2008/08/21/new-full-metal-alchemist-series-confirmed/][U]Haha, haven't seen the pimp!Ed meme in a while[/U][/url].

Yeah, I'm sure Funi will bring it over. Where do the anime and manga split off again? It's one of the episodes in the twenties, I think... at any rate, the big question is whether they're going to do a total reboot or pick up at the part where the story branches. Personally I'm hoping for the latter (with maybe a DVD-only recap episode or something). It would be kind of a buzzkill for the new series to start off with a rehash of what we've already seen, even if the footage is all new.

[quote name='Paramount'][SIZE="1"][which is apparently a cardinal sin nowadays in the FMA fandom...][/SIZE][/QUOTE]
No kidding, heh. Part of the reason I've been out of touch with the fandom for a while.

~Dagger~

I haven't even read the manga, and I'm not really sure if I'll ever get around to it, but I don't think the anime is as bad as everyone that compares it to the manga makes it out to be. (Perhaps a little overhyped here and there.)

As far as the sequel goes... I still haven't seen the movie yet. I hear Mustang goes through some sort of phase that'll make me dislike him. (Mopiness type phase)

I also hope Ed and Al will be more tolerable this time around.

Anyway, I'm not excited about it, but it does give me something to look forward to watching. I've been in sort of a slump with anime lately. (Nothing on tv keeping me interested.)

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]I'm definitely looking forward to this since [strike]I'm not a sinner[/strike] I prefer the manga story. Besides Lin's crew, Manga Pride and a way less nonsensical way to kill homunculus (Mustang vs. Lust was beautiful,) The idea of an animated Olivia Milla Armstrong is just too much.

No offense to anime fans.[/FONT]

[SIZE="1"]I just don't see [i]why[/i] the anime gets so much flack. When it came out on Adult Swim initially, everyone praised it...then the fans got ahold of the manga and pretty much slammed the anime. If no one read the original source material, no one would know the difference [well, duh, derp derp]. I still love it, though...it's just very endearing. Plus, it made my junior year a [i]lot[/i] more livable, at least for the first semester [second semester is where my obsession for it waned, before dissipating altogether for the longest time].

I will admit that some of the characters in the manga, I am [i]very[/i] excited to see animated, especially R/Lanfan and Mei-chan [screw the haters, I think she's freakin' adorable].

...AND FATHER. HOLY CRAP I JUST REALIZED FATHER WILL BE ANIMATED. DHJDHSGJFHSGFHJSGHJGSDJSFHFD <3333

...Sorry you had to see that outburst.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Paramount'][SIZE="1"]I just don't see [i]why[/i] the anime gets so much flack. When it came out on Adult Swim initially, everyone praised it...then the fans got ahold of the manga and pretty much slammed the anime. If no one read the original source material, no one would know the difference [well, duh, derp derp]. I still love it, though...it's just very endearing. Plus, it made my junior year a [i]lot[/i] more livable, at least for the first semester [second semester is where my obsession for it waned, before dissipating altogether for the longest time].[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Oh, I agree. You get a good thing, then you find something you like a little better than that good thing. Suddenly, the good thing is a horrible travesty which should never have existed. It's ridiculous. I still like the anime. I just like the manga better, unline all the militant lynch mob manga fans out there.

Oh and +5 billion cool points for the Pimp Ed pictures, Dagger. You win the internet once again.

• 1 month later...
I love them both! I dunno, each has their own cool plot twists. (About the Homonculi, villain, whatnot). I remember hearing that the manga-based anime will only be running for a year. I hope they don't have to squeeze the story so much that we can't stand it.

I am moderately excited about this. I had been telling my friend for years now that the FMA Manga needed to be Anime-ized. So, I am quite eagerly looking forward to it. I might even download the episodes, if the subbers are slow enough about it.

But does anyone have an estimate on the release date? Or is it still a year or so off?

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Magenta"]its just an hour ago when i saw the last episode and its ova, the conqueror shambala.. can i ak this question?
what is FullMetal Alchemist Kami wo Tsugu Shoujo Game 3 Movie?:animeswea
thanks if u mind to answer..:animesmil [/COLOR][/FONT]

[quote name='aerithina'][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Magenta"]its just an hour ago when i saw the last episode and its ova, the conqueror shambala.. can i ak this question?
what is FullMetal Alchemist Kami wo Tsugu Shoujo Game 3 Movie?:animeswea
thanks if u mind to answer..:animesmil [/COLOR][/FONT][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]Are you thinking of [U][URL="http://ps2.ign.com/objects/734/734864.html"]this[/URL][/U], perchance?

In any case, it's an FMA game for the PS2. The third one, to be specific. Unfortunately, it does not appear to be ready to be released outside of Japan, if ever. [But maybe when FMA2 makes its way over here, interest in it will be renewed. I'm not holding my breath on that though].[/SIZE]

I like the later seasons better than the initial seasons personally. I loved the ending and the movie released afterward. SHAMBALLA!!!!

I like the fact that I can't decide between the alchemists (and homonculi). Sometimes, I think I focus more on Roy... sometimes Ed. I like Scar too.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Magenta"]i like the ova but it seems that it has both sad and good ending do really edward care for winry? even just a little.. i dont think that it should end up like that.. just only my opinion..:smirk: i enjoyed watching the fma chibi party oAv.. much cooler though its just a couple of minutes.:animesmil[/COLOR][/FONT]

I loved the anime, the OVAs, the movie and the manga.
I think if you like an anime then find the manga you shouldn't just automatically decide the anmie is awful because the manga storyline is a tad different (an extra character or 2 e.g. Ling) if you like the anime you can like the manga as well.
If you're able to see the differences and appreciate them then that's great but if you don't see why the anime did one thing whereas the manga did another so be it. It doesn't mean you have to choose one or the other.

• 4 months later...
Didn't know where the best place to post this, and I didn't want to start a new thread (I'm afraid to start a new one in this shiny new forumn).

Now I've been revisiting the series, since last time I watched I only made it to the first 10 episodes, right now I'm on 23 and the website I'm watching only goes to 56. Is that the entire series up to date?

Also, is the manga way ahead of the series currently?

[quote name='Drizzt Do'urden']Now I've been revisiting the series, since last time I watched I only made it to the first 10 episodes, right now I'm on 23 and the website I'm watching only goes to 56. Is that the entire series up to date?

Also, is the manga way ahead of the series currently?[/QUOTE]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]The first series spans 56 episodes and a movie and pretty much wrapped up its own storyline.

The manga is actually an entirely different story from that series. The original anime began not too long after the manga did. Unfortunately, the manga updates monthly and not enough filler in the world exists to keep a show from overtaking that pace, so the show's team had to create an entirely different story. I also understand that the author of the manga told them the ending, but asked that they change it so she could surprise her readers at the end of the manga.

Anyway, all that aside, the new series coming out is actually a reboot of the franchise that will start at the beginning and likely follow the manga exactly, since it's about seven chapters from completion now. So really, you could watch this new one without ever having watched the original. Don't let that stop you from finishing it, though.[/FONT]

• 1 month later...
[SIZE="1"]Having watched the first five episodes of Brotherhood I've realised it's going to be slightly dull watching the plot progress almost exactly like the first series until the first branched off into original plot.

Also as much as I try I just can't get used to Miki's voice for Mustang, it's too light for me and doesn't hold the same depth of authority Okawa's did. The same actually goes for Miyake's portrayal of Scar, his voice doesn't lend itself well to a character who is supposed to become an anti-hero. Maybe giving it a little more time I'll warm to Miyake but I don't think I'll ever like Miki as Mustang.[/SIZE]

Aw, I like Miki's Mustang. xD

Then again, I thought his voice in the original anime was [I]too[/I] authoritative, so I was actually pleased that they toned it down, somewhat. When I read the manga, I pictured him sounding pretty calm, and then I'd watch the anime it was like " O__O; ... " So yeah. Just my opinion. Scar's voice sounds too gentle at times, but I still like it. I really don't have any complaints about Brotherhood just yet. I'm just happy the FMA is still getting love.

• 6 months later...
[FONT="Microsoft Sans Serif"][SIZE="2"]You guys might already know this, but you can watch every Brotherhood episode that's come out so far on Hulu. Usually they only have five episodes of a series up at a time, but for some reason they have all of FMA on there. Neat.[/SIZE][/FONT]