OtakuBoards

Fullmetal Alchemist

Guest dark kitsune

[QUOTE=Fullmetal1]Fullmetal1 here! :catgirl: Question for everyone!!! What are your fav characters? And What did you think of the show and the show's ending!
My fav characters are
-Edward
-Al
-Roy
-Maes

I thought the show was one of the greatest animes ever made!! But the ending of the show left alot of questions unanswered! Like what happened to Envy! And many more questions!![/QUOTE]
Hard to say who my favorites are..... Well, I'll tell you this much. I'm no fan of Ed or Al so they can be scratched off the list. (I don't know what my problem is these days.... In most of these animes that has a high amount of fans, I don't ever seem to like the main stars.)

Hmm... ok. Out of all the characters, there were probably 3 of them I enjoyed the most.

[b]Lust[/b] - She's already an interesting character to begin with, but I think what done it was her v/a. I don't think you could've gotten a better v/a for her. Just hard to believe that same woman is the same person that did kid trunks.

[b]Mustang[/b] - He is suppose to be the carefree, stuck up, teachers pet type right? Honestly, I found him to be funnier than most of the other characters. (Outside of Ed and the short comments) It's probably because of the episode that past this Monday.

[b]Scar[/b] - Do I really need to explain this one? Well, I will. I like most if not all the characters that're serious, and he fits the bill nicely.

As far as what I think about the show..... It's pretty good. I'm currently rewatching it on AS though... "shrugs" It's not in my top 3 favorites, but it's definately in the top 5. The ending..... "shrugs" I didn't find anything wrong with it. (All stories aren't meant to have an happy ending, ya know.)

[quote name='Diablo'] (I don't know what my problem is these days.... In most of these animes that has a high amount of fans, I don't ever seem to like the main stars.)[/quote]
I agree with you--not necessarily when it comes to FMA, but certainly quite a few other shows... I had to stop watching Fate/stay night because although I appreciated the other characters, I absolutely couldn't stand the male lead. I also find that shounen action series tend to have interesting supporting characters but less interesting main characters; this might have to do with the fact that there doesn't seem to be much room for variety when it comes to shounen heroes.

As for FMA, my favorite characters are Envy (in the TV series) and Al (in the movie). At least I think that sounds about right.

~Dagger~

I concur. Many shounen series tend to have better supporting characters. FMA is an exception in my opinion however. Many anime today tend to lean toward the grabbing the viewer part, without focusing enough on the show to make it happen. However, once again, I must say that FMA has really done well and overcome these common obstacles. Arakawa did a very good job with the manga, which of course started the mightily influential series we know and love today. The plot of the story was very well coordinated, choreographed, if you will, to work efficiently with the characters, which were all very keen at supporting each other.

I am glad to see that other series are beginning to grasp that essential concept as well. Maybe the age of failing shounen anime is coming to an end. FMA is definately one of the Shounen Anime Revolutionary leaders though. It's quite evident that FMA will continue to flourish and stay a favorite of anime lovers everywhere. I knew I was hooked after reading the frist volume of the manga when it came out a while back. I plan to continue to immerse myself in FMA for my enjoyment and anime curiosity for years, no decades, to come.

~Tyler

Ed is definitly a main character with plenty of depth and color. I enjoy how he is portrayed and how his maturation is shown both internally and externally as he progresses on a single journey that branches off into so many that changes him and his brother. He is quick witted most of the time and offers plenty of comic relief, especially when being called a pint-sized shrimp and such. He is one of my favorite main characters in an anime series, alongside Vash.

Majority of other times im much more into the supporting characters and the antagonists.

[FONT=Book Antiqua]Well I hate to say that I'm just like the ordinary fangirl because, I LOVE ED!!! As BKstyles, I also like to see him mature throughout the years and well he's kind of cute too ^-^. I'd also like to add:

*Envy - Ed's right, he's a psychopath! I like his attitude towards life in general. Pretty interesting, you know, holding a lot of hatred... wonder how he survives with all that ^-^u

*Maes - ahhh he's so sweet, caring and witty yet serious when it's necessary. I think he is the model father and husband. [spoiler]It so made me cry when he died, why...why?! TT.TT[/spoiler]

*Al - the sweetest guy I've ever seen! caring, loving, but real naive, pretty much like me ^-^u It can be sad because a person like that can be easily manipulated, [spoiler]as seen in the episode of Clara (Psiren) and where Sloth makes him think she's his real mother.[/spoiler] But overall he just touched my heart ^-^ <3

*Izumi - that woman amazes me. Even though she's badly sick she keeps her strong attitude for a good purpose. I guess she 'taught' me that one must learn from their mistakes and keep on going no matter how bad things are. Might sound weird but that's just me ^-^u

These are the top characters of my favorites list, though I pretty much like every character in the series. I guess they all have their own thing that makes them likable.[/FONT]

Hm, for a full list of my favorites and reasons:

[b]Roy Mustang[/b] - The arrogant and often sarcastic guy who loves to command the loyalty of his people, and he does. He seems to be un-caring but is a more than capable leader and always knows what to do in every situation. He is fearless and is admired and supported by all of his followers. And of course he is a powerful alchemist with a handy and brutal ability. Mustang i think portrays one of the most amounts of character maturation throughout the story.

[b]Ed[/b] - I don't usually like the main characters too much as my favorites, atleast not in comparison to others in the series (with exceptions of a few, FMA included obviously). But as i mentioned above, Ed follows a tremendous journey within himself and shows the most amount of maturation in his character development and progression. He is a clever and resourceful alchemist as opposed to powerful, and usually has enough knowledge to take care of himself in most situations.

[b]Riza Hawkeye[/b] - She is the ideal picture of stability and loyalty. She dosen't fight for the state, but for the people she decided on her own whom she must protect and support. She is probably one of the most mature characters initially in the series and handles her weapon quite well.

[b]Greed[/b] - The coolest of the homunculi IMO. Cool attitude and like Mustang commands the loyalty of many followers. He has one of the cooler powers amongst the homunculi, and despite his name he becomes one of the characters you want to feel sympathetic for.

[b]Envy[/b] - The homunculi i think fit's his name the best. He offers little or no loyalty to the collective goal of the homunculi and uses every oppurtunity he can to torment the brothers and to ultimatley get to their father. He is portrayed excellently through his hatred for mankind and his implicit desires to relive what was once his life.

Oh, and Black Hyate :D. I'm a dog lover.

Fullmetal is one of the best animes out there. Col. Mustang, Major Armstrong, Lt. Col. Hughs, and even Wrath are the greatest characters ever. No one I think can mess with them. Not only are they crazy but they cool powers. Fullmetal Alchemist keeps it real.

Guest PenguinDemon
[QUOTE=dark kitsune]I'm wondering if any of you watch it. I just finished watching episode 7 and damned if it didn't make me cry....

So anybody into this particular anime as much as me? From what I've seen so far this anime is incredible. The character development, plot and artwork are great.

If you haven't seen it yet...then get busy![/QUOTE]

I've watched the entire show from first to last its friggen awsome i even bought the hoodie with the blood seal on it its pretty pimp if you ask me

Yeah, that episode (the aforementioned [i]Night of the Chimera's Cry[/i] episode) and [spoiler]Hughes's death episode[/spoiler] are the saddest ones in the series IMO. Enough to bring some tears out. But on a lighter note, the ep where [spoiler]Basque Grand gets his brains splattered by Scar[/spoiler] is coming up soon.

[quote name='BKstyles]Yeah, that episode (the aforementioned [i]Night of the Chimera's Cry[/i] episode) and [spoiler]Hughes's death episode[/spoiler] are the saddest ones in the series IMO. Enough to bring some tears out. But on a lighter note, the ep where [spoiler]Basque Grand gets his brains splattered by Scar[/spoiler'] is coming up soon.[/quote]
I skipped that episode last night. I remember the last time I saw that episode. It's the reason why I gave up on the series the 1st time. [spoiler]Messed up part is I wasn't effected when I 1st saw the girl as a chimera. [/spoiler] What pissed me off was when [spoiler]Scar killed her / it.[/spoiler] I swear I wanted to lauch my tv out the window. I have a serious problem when it comes to animals getting killed / hurt in reality, comics, movies, animes or whatever. (Hell, I even dodge stories about animals on the news) I try to avoid it as much as possible because it's the quickest way to become my natural enemy. (And I would take it out on everyone.)

Heh, well in one of my earlier posts i mentioned i'm a dog lover, so you can imagine how i felt during the Flame vs Fullmetal episode when [spoiler]Riza shoots a clip around Hyate when he pees on the wall[/spoiler]. Same usually goes for Akamaru in Naruto whenever he gets hurt.

[FONT=Book Antiqua]yeah I'm the same way, also remember on episode 37 when they discovered the truth about the buried bones? I was all like "aaawww" when [spoiler]at the end Black Hayate barked a "hi", the Colonel and company turned and gave him an ugly look, then the puppy got sad.[/spoiler] It was so cute! ^-^[/FONT]

[QUOTE]yeah I'm the same way, also remember on episode 37 when they discovered the truth about the buried bones? I was all like "aaawww" when [spoiler]at the end Black Hayate barked a "hi", the Colonel and company turned and gave him an ugly look, then the puppy got sad. [/spoiler]It was so cute! ^-^[/QUOTE]

lol ya i haven't seen that epiosode yet but it's in the novel as teh bounus story. it's on vol.10 on teh DVDs though

• 2 weeks later...
Full metal alchemist is an awesome anime series with good plot and characters. :catgirl: I've only seen episode 1 and 50 in [[COLOR=Sienna]Removed[/COLOR]]. This series is great but depressing. First you see Edward's arm been[spoiler] bitten by wolf (?) but then his arm was made out of steel !?[/spoiler] :animestun It has dark twisted plots and the sounds scared me. :animedepr But while I was frightened, I pretty much enjoyed watching because of that!

Full metal alchemist episode 1 and 50 is shown in [[COLOR=Sienna]Link Removed[/COLOR]] Once you have got into the [[COLOR=Sienna]removed[/COLOR]], typed full metal alchemist and clicked the search button, try finding a thumbnail image that shows 20 min something second on the below each one of them. It usually means that it's an episode instead of music video.

[INDENT][SIZE=1][COLOR=Sienna][B]Cheeky7[/B], links to copyrighted materials is not allowed on Otakuboards. We do not offer any trading post services at OtakuBoards.com. Furthermore, posting links to illegal ROMs, full episodes of movies or any other such material is unacceptable.

I also added spoiler tags to your post, please do not assume that everyone is familiar with a paticuliar anime. Always use spoiler tags. ~indifference[/COLOR][/SIZE][/INDENT]

Im new and my opinion might not count, but here goes. FMA is the coolest anime ive seen so far. I've practically seen all the episodes( 10-16, i missed these) The last is the saddest. I thought it real brave of Al to [spoiler]give up his life for his bro and vice-versa.[/spoiler] This anime series is better in america than in japan, but the japan version has better voiceovers. Well see ya'll l8r, gotta go home.Bye

[SIZE=1][INDENT][COLOR=Sienna][B]Cloud-Strife[/B] I added spoiler tags to your post. Please do not assume that everyone is familiar with a particular anime. When discussing something that would spoil it for someone who has not watched it, always use spoiler tags. For information on how to use them, just take a look at the sticky Spoiler tags located at the top of the Anime Lounge. ~indifference[/COLOR][/INDENT][/SIZE]

[quote name='Diablo]I skipped that episode last night. I remember the last time I saw that episode. It's the reason why I gave up on the series the 1st time. [spoiler]Messed up part is I wasn't effected when I 1st saw the girl as a chimera. [/spoiler] What pissed me off was when [spoiler]Scar killed her / it.[/spoiler'] I swear I wanted to lauch my tv out the window. I have a serious problem when it comes to animals getting killed / hurt in reality, comics, movies, animes or whatever. (Hell, I even dodge stories about animals on the news) I try to avoid it as much as possible because it's the quickest way to become my natural enemy. (And I would take it out on everyone.)[/quote]

Well you have to understand that Scar did it out of mercy rather than cruelty. i felt it was better it ended that way since going on living in that form would be horrible. Scar felt bad and tryed to end her suffering not doing it to make her suffer more.

But yes it was sad and upseting and if I was Ed I would have[spoiler] beaten Tucker to death[/spoiler].

^ I am well aware of Scar's intention about that incident. With that being said, I still don't have to like it. ^^

Speaking of all that and such. Just to clear things up for anyone else who feel the need to explain things to me. (Please don't take that as me being stubborn or anything.) I understand the concept of Fullmetal Alchemist very well, let alone most of the characters intentions as most if not all are explained in the series. But when I say I don't like seeing animals being killed, slaughtered and whatnot. I mean it, literally. I like animals over people in general. (Sad, but true)

[QUOTE=Diablo]^ I am well aware of Scar's intention about that incident. With that being said, I still don't have to like it. ^^

Speaking of all that and such. Just to clear things up for anyone else who feel the need to explain things to me. (Please don't take that as me being stubborn or anything.) I understand the concept of Fullmetal Alchemist very well, let alone most of the characters intentions as most if not all are explained in the series. But when I say I don't like seeing animals being killed, slaughtered and whatnot. I mean it, literally. I like animals over people in general. (Sad, but true)[/QUOTE]

Haha, i agree completely. Animals are acted harshly against very often indiscriminately where as humans most of the time deserve to be treated in negative ways. I don't believe it's sad at all, it's just a degree of clarity. Humanity as a whole is worthless and cruel, however the individual is full of endless potential.

But as for the act of mercy, assuming the feeling of [spoiler]being transformed into a chimera of nina's nature is unbearable and the equivalent to living on life support [/spoiler] then i believe without the option of a safe reversal of the procedure death is probably the best choice in the long run. Both from her POV as well as Scar's. Of course the act is curel and harsh, but it is in a sense doing something wrong to achieve what is right. Ed said it himself he knows quite a bit about bending the rules to do something right. It just isn't easy for everyone to come to accept because of the initial reaction to something like animal slaughter will always be negative because the reason regardless of what it is, is shrouded in the more apparent act of what has come to be morally and socially accepted as wrong and criminal.

[quote name='Diablo']...when I say I don't like seeing animals being killed, slaughtered and whatnot. I mean it, literally. I like animals over people in general. (Sad, but true)[/quote]Don't [b]ever[/b] watch the [b]Call of the Wild[/b] anime. >.<~ That dog didn't die, but owch, it even hurt us in the audience.

On a different note, I just got Volumes 5 through 8 of the Fullmetal Alchemist DVDs a few days ago. I can't wait to tear them open and watch them again. =D~ I've gone from "this series doesn't appeal to me" to a "must-collect-them-al~OOODVDMANGA" craze. :animeblus

-r2

[quote name='Diablo']^ I am well aware of Scar's intention about that incident. With that being said, I still don't have to like it. ^^[/quote]

[COLOR=DarkGreen]I never said you should have nor did I try to convince you[/COLOR]

[QUOTE]Speaking of all that and such. Just to clear things up for anyone else who feel the need to explain things to me. (Please don't take that as me being stubborn or anything.) I understand the concept of Fullmetal Alchemist very well, let alone most of the characters intentions as most if not all are explained in the series. But when I say I don't like seeing animals being killed, slaughtered and whatnot. I mean it, literally. I like animals over people in general. (Sad, but true)[/QUOTE]

[COLOR=DarkGreen]Yes i prefer animals to people aswell I personally hate people in general. Animals are innocent creatures. Unlike humans.

I felt that was one of the best moments in FMA however you could really feel Eds Rage as well as your own. That and [spoiler]Hugehs death had such a storng impact on me[/spoiler] aswell as Roy [spoiler] killing Winrys parents and his reaction [/COLOR] afterwards[/spoiler]

I personally love the series and it's one of adult swims most popular anime's. I think that the series ends bad just because i love it so much and it leaves with a cliff hanger :animecry: I cant wait for the movie, but i dont think it will sum up the series considering how many things are unanswerd. Im sorry if anything i've said upsets anyone that hasent seen the entire series for saying things about the end :twitch:

Yeah, I've seen FMA many times and read a little bit of the manga, it is one of my favorite anime. Probably the thing I like most about it is the alchemy part, and how they can just pop up crap out of the ground and stuff, that's pretty cool of you ask me :animesmil