OtakuBoards

Fullmetal Alchemist

Guest dark kitsune

[quote]I'm wondering what VA's they'll get to play the parts in FMA[/quote]
What I wouldn't give for the chance to audition for that!... kind of makes me wish I was of legal age, a college graduate, and a bit more knowledgeable about the industry. Heh.

I do look forward to seeing who they pick, though... I worry that since Ed is both a humorous and a very dramatic character, they'll over-play one or both sides of him.

I just hope they put it on at a view-able time. I can't survive on less than six hours of sleep, not to mention, if anyone catches me sneaking up at 1 in the morning to watch anything, I'm dead as a doornail. I could always tape it, I guess... of course, whether or not our VCR actually works any more is up for debate.

After watching both trailers on the official FullMetal Alchemist (english) website I must say... I am throughly dissapointed o_O... The two trailers spend so much time trying to over glorify things and use such cheap cheesy voices! The first trailer which is actually the second opening of the *** FMA series also contains a small portion where a small boy (Edward Elric) is talking... I'm hoping that they just used that voice actor for the trailer and not the series because if so I am going to flat out die... Leave it to funimation to make swiss cheese out of a good thing. :rolleyes:

Guest nomad321
Is quite cool. I don´t care if the rights have been bought to. As long as they do a good job of taking good care of the Anime. Bwa ha ha ha, the anime will defend itself, it´s got it´s own defenses-ergo, good quality, and such, what blows me away, is why didn't ANYBODY, purchase Evangelion, for CT channels....perplexed.....Bwah ha ha ha, I am a believer, in that anime, contains, it's own defenses, and thus, should be able to withstand all hardships, bwa ha ha ha ha ha. Ahem. :devil:

[COLOR=#503F86][b]Okay, then... In terms of length, this post is alright. But please try and avoid straying off-topic in this way. It's almost coming off as being spam. Had you not actually mentioned the series I'd have deleted this post straight off. So please be more careful in future. -Solo[/COLOR][/b]

[FONT=Century Gothic][COLOR=Blue]I have to agree with Hittokiri on this one. I also watched the trailers and I was very disappointed. The voice didn't really seem to fit Al's character at all, (it was Al's voice on the trailer, Httokiri, he always does the little opening thing). I just hope that they can get some better actors for Ed, and the rest of the gang.

I don't know what CN is thinking making the Second Opening the First on this English version. To me, I think it gives a little away on the characters, I mean, we don't meet Armstrong till around the episodes where the second opening starts! I don't know about other people, but when I see someone in the opening, it makes me want to know who they are. Either that, or they just won't show the opening on TV.

I guess I'll just have to relay on buying the DVDs so I can watch it in Japenese instead of english...[/COLOR][/FONT]

My fav show is Naruto; however, I like FMA alot too. It has great characters I think and the history of some characters is so sad! (maybe I like it just cause I'm a girl and sympithetic towards charaters with a sad back round. Dunno. All the same. I like it. Oh! I love the present ending song to! so pretty! THe singer has a great voice! ;)

• 5 months later...
Funi's FMA website is now officially live, complete with a production blog and some video clips taken from the first few episodes. I'm exceptionally pleased with what I've heard of the English dub. Vic Mignogna sounds great (as usual--he's one of Funi/ADV's most consistent actors), and it's nice that they decided to re-cast Al. The person now playing Al is the same boy who appeared in Fruits Basket as Hiro... if I recall correctly, in real life he's only twelve years old. That's pretty impressive, ne?

~Dagger~

I haven't seen FMA, but I will definately catch it's airing on ASA. The American VAs seem good, possibly Furuba-good, and the preview (on the FUNi section of AS.com) makes the series sound great. Plus it seems to be #1 on the Japanese Newtype surveys month after month, so it must be doing something right. I REALLY want to see it.

• 3 weeks later...
You know, it's weird...

I never really got into this show when it was being fansubbed; by the time I decided to try wading my way past the first four episodes, it was licensed. I've watched the beginning several times, though--and for some reason seeing it in English made me like it much, much better. It helps that Adult Swim is probably planning to air the show uncut; no matter how gory FMA gets, it can't be much worse than the first episode of Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (which ran completely unedited). [spoiler]I don't remember the shot of Ed's bloody leg being on the fansub I watched...[/spoiler] was it added for the DVD version of the show, or do I just have a spotty memory?

To me the dub sounded a little less frantic than the Japanese version. This time around I actually [i]liked[/i] Rose's voice, and it's nice to hear Vic Mignogna in a leading role. On a related note, my last post was wrong--Aaron Dismuke is actually the kid who played young Akito, not Hiro, in Fruits Basket. If the first episode is anything to go by, Fullmetal Alchemist could become one of FUNimation's best dubs.

~Dagger~

[COLOR=GREEN]Well, I just saw Full Metal Alchemist for the first time Sat night on AS. (I know, pretty pathetic :sweat: ) The only reason I hadn't seen it yet up to this point was first contributed to lack of interest, when I first heard about FMA, I didn't even know what the word "alchemist" meant, plus the title just didn't seem interesting to me. Then about six months ago, I had the opertunity to get the first volume subbed, but I didn't have the money to shell out at the time.

After seeing so much promotion for the series in the past few months, it began to draw my interest, since from the promos, it looked like a pretty good show. When I finally got to see the first ep on sat, FMA was quickly put on my favorite anime list; mind you, this is a pretty long list, but FMA is on the top ten. It takes a pretty amazing series to hook me in the first episode since not many have succeeded (at this point, only Wolf's Rain and Angel Sanctuary).

I'm sorry I can't post more about the series itself just yet, since I've only seen the first ep, but so far Al would have to be one of my favorite characters. I don't know, but I always seem to favor the really inocent ones or the ones borderlining on evil, Alphonse obviously being to former of the two. I also find it amusing how his small voice can come from that menising suit of armor. Winry also seems like an interesting character (from what I've read about her in character bios), though I'll probibly get a better opinion of her once I've seen her introduced in the show.

Well, I guess I'll post more on this thread once I've seen more of the series :D [/COLOR]

After hearing about it for a very long time, it comes to CN, hurrah! It wasn't bad, I liked it and alchemy interests me a lot so I'm really curious how they impliment alchemy in this anime. Edward and Al are a pretty cool pair already, the fact they are brothers will make for some funny scenes I bet. The first episode already had something with that when Al dumpped sand on Edward. heh I guess I like sibling pairs cause it reminds me of my own sibling rivalries(looks around). Edward looks like he'll be a badass in the anime and Al...I don't know what Al will be yet, hopefully he gets to do some cool stuff like Edward does. I can't explain it,but Al's my favorite character so far.

I'm not a great judge on voice actors, I like subs and dubbs and rarely gripe about the voices. Edward sounds perfect for him and Al sounds like it should work. I don't know if Al is meant to sound like a little boy talking with a bucket on his head, but it sounds right. I can't imagine Al's voice being serious, I'm really curious how they pull that off if Al ever gets serious or pissed off. Which I can't imagine since he's a kid who sounds like he's very accepting, hell he didn't sound very aggrevated about the fact he's a suit of armor.

I also wonder if they'll go all the way through with FMA or show it in installments; the later is so annoying, but it is a good idea since it keeps people like me glued to CN with false hopes.

A quick question, was FMA or GITSSAC edited at all?

[quote name='Noside']A quick question, was FMA or GITSSAC edited at all?[/quote]

I can't speak for FMA, but I would assume not. As someone who owns the first couple of DVDs, though, I [i]can[/i] confirm that GitS: SAC was totally unedited. I sort of expected AS to cut out the scene in which [spoiler]the robot geisha's head gets splattered to bits,[/spoiler] but it's certainly gratifying that they kept it in.

I read somewhere that both Al's Japanese and English actors had to talk into metal bowls in order to create that nice, tinny "suit of armor" sound. My only complaint about Al's English voice is that at times it seemed a bit too quiet (particularly during the next episode preview narration).

~Dagger~

[QUOTE=Dagger IX1]I can't speak for FMA, but I would assume not. As someone who owns the first couple of DVDs, though, I [i]can[/i] confirm that GitS: SAC was totally unedited. I sort of expected AS to cut out the scene in which [spoiler]the robot geisha's head gets splattered to bits,[/spoiler] but it's certainly gratifying that they kept it in.

~Dagger~[/QUOTE]

They editted the sh-word to damn. But since Japan really doesn't have concrete grammar rules for swears, that edit really doesn't matter.

I watched FMA a while ago, I downloaded the subs, I don't get adult swim, so I can't watch the dub, I am told that Al's voice is extremely annoying. I really liked the subed one. They most likely edited out all the swears, in some eps Ed say "don't ******* with me!" and he also say ******* alot, and says a whole bunch of other swears, so...they probably took it all out, and say they were "protecting" us.

They japanese version was really good, I recomend downloading the subs :)

[QUOTE=Akimi]I watched FMA a while ago, I downloaded the subs, I don't get adult swim, so I can't watch the dub, I am told that Al's voice is extremely annoying. I really liked the subed one. They most likely edited out all the swears, in some eps Ed say "don't ******* with me!" and he also say ******* alot, and says a whole bunch of other swears, so...they probably took it all out, and say they were "protecting" us.

They japanese version was really good, I recomend downloading the subs :)[/QUOTE]

Go see what EVA Unit 100 said about swearing and Japanese grammar; that type of editing isn't a big deal, especially considering that the DVD version will be uncut. I certainly hope you aren't advocating downloading instead of buying the upcoming bilingual DVDs, the starting volume of which will be released in early February. Visually, at least, the first episodes of Fullmetal Alchemist and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex were both left fully intact. There's little need to worry about censorship and all that.

~Dagger~

after visiting the fma page on cartoon network and listening to the small clips i was throughly disappointed... the voices were very horrible, totally different from what i had expected :confused: with this said i will continue to enjoy my japanese fansubed versions the voices are a hundred times better even if i dont understand a thing they say.

[quote name='vash-san']after visiting the fma page on cartoon network and listening to the small clips i was throughly disappointed... the voices were very horrible, totally different from what i had expected :confused: with this said i will continue to enjoy my japanese fansubed versions the voices are a hundred times better even if i dont understand a thing they say.[/quote]

A poorly spliced one-minute clip isn't really going to give you an accurate sense of how a voice actor will perform throughout the series. As someone who wasn't thrilled about the Japanese version of FMA, I love Vic Mignogna's take on Ed. I find the comedic bits (which were what originally annoyed me about the series) funnier and less grating in English. That's just me, of course, and I'm a fan of dubs in general. However, I do suggest that you check out an entire episode or two dubbed before totally dismissing it.

~Dagger~

i usually go by my first impressions, i dont think that there has ever been a time that i if i was unimpressed with the voices to begin with that i changed my mind after watching the whole episode... im not saying that i wont take up your offer and watch a few episodes but it most likey won't change my mind.. thats just the kind of person i am.. i guess i can also add that im not much of a fan of english dubs they never turn out like the way i want them to but what can you do. :p

Well, last night's episode more or less wrapped up the [spoiler]"crazy bishop"[/spoiler] mini-arc, and next week things should segue into a [spoiler]flashback.[/spoiler] Can someone who's seen the show before remind me how long (how many episodes, if more than one) it lasts?

The sound mixing on the next-episode preview was significantly better this time around. More importantly, Al got to display some emotion within the episode itself. I think the reason some people are concerned about his voice is that he sounds a bit deliberate and/or aloof during regular dialogue. However, I'm pretty certain things were done this way because his speech is so formal and polite in the Japanese version. There isn't really any other way to convey that same sense. Fortunately, in his serious conversation with Rose, he hit all the appropriate tones.

I love the [spoiler]bird imagery in this episode. It's incredibly creepy but not overdone.[/spoiler] Speaking of creepy things, has [spoiler]Envy[/spoiler] been shown in his ordinary form yet, assuming he (she?) has one? I know we caught a glimpse of [spoiler]the bishop-imitating Envy[/spoiler] toward the end, but I was wondering if he had appeared with Lust and Gluttony earlier.

~Dagger~

I love FMA's dub. From what I've heard of Ed in both the original and the dub, in the dub he sounds better. Vic gets the tone of the character better, and like Dagger said, he makes the comedy funnier. Al's voice i the dub seems very honest and natural. The only casting job I was a bit unsure about was Laura Bailey as Lust, but now I know she can do mysterious and seductive equally well as kind and caring.

[quote name='EVA Unit 100']I love FMA's dub. From what I've heard of Ed in both the original and the dub, in the dub he sounds better. Vic gets the tone of the character better, and like Dagger said, he makes the comedy funnier. Al's voice i the dub seems very honest and natural. The only casting job I was a bit unsure about was Laura Bailey as Lust, but now I know she can do mysterious and seductive equally well as kind and caring.[/quote]

Laura Bailey is very versatile, isn't she? I was sort of straining to recognize her voice in these two episodes of FMA, but try as I might I just couldn't make the connection between Lust and Yu Yu Hakusho's Keiko or Fruits Basket's Tohru. I remember being really startled when I first heard her as Marlene in Blue Gender, and I'd probably have a heart attack if I ever bought the game Blood Rayne, in which she plays another anti-Tohru type of character.

I hope she gets a role in Gunslinger Girl, heh. Or, better yet, Elfen Lied. :p

~Dagger~

[FONT=Century Gothic][COLOR=Blue]Well, if my memory serves me correct Dagger, the little flashback episodes end at either 9 or 10. I know 8 is the really sad one, which I won't give anything away. I'll go back and rewatch my fansubs, but I'm pretty sure it ends at 9.

As for the dub, I have a few complaints. First off, they seem to cut out some stuff from the show. It wasn't that obvious in the first episode, but in the second, I could definately tell something was a miss. Secondly, why start with the second opening? I just don't understand that, and then they seriously cut the ending song, which slightly changes in episode 8 to add more dramatic effect. I hope they don't edit that out. I think they did a pretty good job on the voice cast, though you really can't beat the originals. But I'm not complaining.

Okay, in answer to your next question, he doesn't get shown in his original form unless you watch the opening, that's the only place you'll see him until a couple episodes later. Hope that helps! ^_^[/COLOR][/FONT]

From what I can remember the flashback episodes end around 9 or 10 (can't remember but these episodes are key anyway). As for Envy you [spoiler] don't see his original form until the beginning of the last flashback episode (so probably around 11 or 12) [/spoiler].

Kind of sucks for me though since I've seen the first 27 or so episodes and the person I d/l it from is missing episodes 27-39. So for now I'm going to just sit back and wait for the episodes on AS to catch up....which might be a year.

Thanks to the both of you for answering my questions. :)

Jeez, I didn't remember episode 3 being this good... now I'm starting to wonder if I just imagined watching it way back when, haha. Thank goodness that the writers temporarily dropped those annoying chibi jokes. I wasn't planning on buying the FMA DVDs as they came out, but I seem to be on the verge of changing my mind.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I must say that this show's dub continues to utterly blow me away. Borrowing some of ADV's vocal talent was one of the smartest things Funi ever did (not that their dubs are bad or anything, but it's great to have some diversity in the cast, and Vic Mignogna is a god). Does anyone know who's playing Roy Mustang? I very much like his voice--it's too bad that the ending credits scroll by so fast.

Maybe because this episode didn't take place in a desert, I noticed how beautiful the anime's backgrounds, artwork and general color scheme are. It's nice to know I can rely on BONES to create a visually consistent and appealing product--a lot of their series have set new standards in terms of sheer visual quality, and from what little I can tell FMA is no exception.

Lastly, the black-and-white card inserted directly before FMA was hilarious. I'm glad AS has finally managed to put Saturdays back on the map. :p

~Dagger~

[FONT=Century Gothic][COLOR=Blue]Hehe, yeah that card was pretty funny, it had even my dad laughing as he was walking by. But, to answer your question again, according to the ANN, it says that Travis Willingham is the voice for good ol' Lt. Mustang. However, I'm sure there are plently of rapid Roy fan girls who would agree with me when I say so far his voice just doesn't match up. Of course, we've got to give the guy some time, we've only heard him in one episode so far, but lets say, the original Roy voice is deeper, and according to my friend, "More sexier."

I would highly suggest buying the DVD, that way you could judge for yourself, and it is a good show, no matter what you measure it up to. ^_^. [/COLOR][/FONT]