OtakuBoards

Fullmetal Alchemist

Guest dark kitsune

[color=darkslateblue]There are seven Homunculi [basically the seven deadly sins (Lust, Gluttony, Envy, Pride, Sloth, and Wrath)], but it's who they are that will surprise the wheelies out of you. O_o

Of course, Lust is the coolest out of all of them. :)

And I have nothing better to do, so if anyone is interested, I've attatched two magazine layouts about the upcoming Full Metal Alchemist movie and an interview with the story editor.

[b]WARNING: DO NOT VIEW ANY OF THESE IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE ENTIRE SERIES. [/b]And seriously, if you consider yourself an intelligent being and don't want any of the movie spoiled for you, don't read the interview.

[b]Interview with the story editor.[/b]

[i]Interviewer: The movie starts 2 years after the end of the television anime series: Fullmetal Alchemist. Have you (story editor) thought of what kind of man Ed would have grown up to be?[/i]

[i]Story Editor: Personality-wise, he'll surely still be the same.[spoiler] However he's being unable to use alchemy, in a place with no friends, being away from his father, and still not achieved his goal... Even after 2 years of scientific research on how to return to his world, he's been denied a solution. He'll be starting to think it's a distant dream he's trying to chase... Kind of like, "What am I doing..?"[/spoiler][/i]

[i]Interviewer: [spoiler]So he is still trying to return to his world..?[/spoiler][/i]

[i]Story Editor: [spoiler]Well, yes. But having no means to achieve that is probably the most painful thing.[/spoiler] For example, having a dream like "I want to work as a (---)" and finding out how to actually go about doing it. Not getting any clue on that... well you'd work hard for about the first 1 or 2 months... Read books, meet people and all that, but you slowly lose focus. You'd gain more self respect, but being in that sort of helpless situation, one wouldn't really know what to do. Ties with other people would weaken and even you yourself would slowly stop expressing your inner feelings. Especially for [spoiler]Ed, since he knows this isn't his world, would think, "I'm not one of this place, so it's best not to get too involved with people here"and would avoid getting too close to people to have good friends or even someone he likes, and keep out of politics so he won't get distracted.[/spoiler][/i]

[i]Interviewer: [spoiler]He must be lonely...[/spoiler][/i]

[i]Story Editor: [spoiler]Well, how Ed thinks makes sense to himself, but to the other people of the world he's in, they probably think he's out of touch with reality.[/spoiler] Then again, there are plenty of people out there who think they're from a completely different world from everyone else. People who keep themselves from getting involved with other. I think there are lots of young people out there who are like this. The TV animation series was written with a rather fantasy-like feel, but I intend the movie to be closer to reality.[/i]

[i]Interviewer: There's a new character who's together with Ed now. Alphonse Haidelihi (Translator's note: I'm not sure what his last name is supposed to be in English so directed translated it from Japanese)... who looks just like Al... *laughs*[/i]

[i]Story Editor: Hehe yes, he's a guy one would think is a grown-up version of Al. [spoiler]At the end of the TV series, Ed 'bumped' into a young man who looked exactly like himself, and it was pointed out by his father (Hohenheim) that, "Somewhere, there's probably an Al of this world". Aside from looking just like Al, Alphonse Haidelihi also shares the same name. Ed would want to be in his company, hence them being together.[/spoiler][/i]

[i]Interviewer: So they share a brotherly relationship?[/i]

[i]Story Editor: Ed probably can't help but see him as a brother. He even told Alphonse Haidilihi a little about his own past, "I'm from another world, and have a brother there who looks just like you". However, Alphonse Haidelihi doesn't know if Ed's story is truth or lie. He'd definitely be going, "What's this guy thinking...?" So being treated like some guy's brother all of a sudden is a little inconvenient, and vexing. He might even have to try to live up to Ed's expectations.[/i]

[i]Interviewer: What kind of character is he (Alphonse Haidelihi)?[/i]

[i]Story Editor: He's a youngster of German origin who was studying under the father of modern rocketry (Hermann) Oberth. That's where Ed met him. He wants to prove the worth (scientific) of his fellow countrymen after their defeat in World War I, along with other young people. That's his aspiration; by achieving a rocket that can actually be ridden, Germany's pride and honor will be restored.[/i]

[i]Interviewer: In theTV series, Ed was shown to have matured gradually. Will the movie show him even MORE grown-up?[/i]

[i]Story Editor: The "to return to my world, I'll do ANYTHING" sort of reckless attitude should be gone, so you could say he's changed some. On the other hand, he might become contented because there's a person with him who looks just like Al. To live like this, in a sort of dream for the rest of his life would be tempting, as long as it doesn't cause hurt to anyone else. Whether that's the kinda of maturity he's always seeked to gain though, is a different issue. In other words, the "have I really grown up?" theme is about the same as in the TV series. Hmmm but if he actually got taller, I don't know *laughs*.[/i]

[i]Interviewer: I'm beginning to wonder where that positive-thinking Ed of the TV-series went![/i]

[i]Story Editor: Actually, what happens to Ed in the 2 years before the movie won't really be touched on too much. Ed is confronted with an event close to him, and it's from there that the movie really begins.[/i]

[i]Interviewer: Ed's lost some focus of his goal, and isn't as cheerful as before. To have an incident that would actually get him going again... what does it all mean?[/i]

[i]Story Editor: Well, it's just that; After getting caught up in something, Ed will return to his old self. At the same time, the goal he's been losing faith in all this while will present its chance, [spoiler]a clue on how to return home[/spoiler], to him again. That's what makes Ed climb back up on his feet again.[/i]

[i]Interviewer: Does that mean Ed will be able to [spoiler]return to his world?[/spoiler][/i]

[i]Story Editor: Well that will be the main theme. There are, of course, other factors. To return, there will be the mysterious factor; something like the Philosopher's Stone in the TV series. Rocketry (that Ed is studying) will also play an important role.[/i]

[i]Interviewer: So will the other characters of the Hagaren world appear? (Wnry, Al, the millitary people)[/i]

[i]Story Editor: That... is still a secret *laughs*. [spoiler]In any case we've got Ed and Alphonse in this world,[/spoiler] so we COULD not have the other characters appear. Although in the trailer, there was Al in his armor form. What does that mean? You'll have to wait to find out.[/i]

[i]Interviewer: [spoiler]So if Ed sees Alphonse as the Al of this world, does this mean other characters, like a Roy of this world will appear?![/spoiler][/i]

[i]Story Editor: Yes, there is always that possiblity. Also, if originally Homoculus humans are around, in the same manner as Al (and Alphonse Haidelihi), people who'd look just like Lust or Gluttony would also exist. On second thought though, what happened the Homoculus who actually went through the Gate.... There're a lot of possibilities to explore there *laughs*. The TV series left a lot of questions. We'll be answering them bit by bit, so don't worry too much. But we'd be happy if everyone waits anxiously for any news/ information on the movie~ The movie itself is a continuation of the TV series. That is a promise. It can also be enjoyed by those who have never seen the TV animation series. Do bring friends who never watched 'Hagaren' down to the cinema. If you've seen the series, the movie will prove 10 times more fun.[/i]

[i]-----End of Interview-----[/i]

[b]Animage FMA Movie Layouts[/b]

[url="http://xs19.xs.to/pics/05100/animage2005apr.jpg"]http://xs19.xs.to/pics/05100/animage2005apr.jpg[/url]

[url="http://xs19.xs.to/pics/05100/animage2005mar.jpg"]http://xs19.xs.to/pics/05100/animage2005mar.jpg[/url]

[b]Interview and pictures taken from [url="http://www.fullmetal-alchemist.com"]http://www.fullmetal-alchemist.com[/url][/b]

[COLOR=black][SIZE=1][b]Added [spoiler] tags to blank out as much revealing information as I could. Even if it's only a small clue as to what happens at the end of a series, it's always courteous to blank it over anyway. I've not seen FMA yet but I really, really want to. I hope these spoilers aren't too serious, heh. -Solo[/COLOR][/SIZE][/b][/color]

[QUOTE=dark kitsune]I'm wondering if any of you watch it. I just finished watching episode 7 and damned if it didn't make me cry....

So anybody into this particular anime as much as me? From what I've seen so far this anime is incredible. The character development, plot and artwork are great.

If you haven't seen it yet...then get busy![/QUOTE]
I love this anime! Inuyasha is my top favorite though.

[QUOTE=Lunox][color=darkslateblue] There are seven Homunculi [basically the seven deadly sins (Lust, Gluttony, Envy, Pride, Sloth, and Wrath)], but it's who they are that will surprise the wheelies out of you. O_o
[/QUOTE]

Argh, now you have got to tell me who they are. Do you mean they are other characters that have already been introduced? And which is the one with the green hair? Thanks.

[QUOTE=gendou ikari]The character designs (in my opinion) were rather nice, the only problem I have with Full Metal Alchemist is the fact that the plot is a bit orthodox.

The alchemy theme, on the other hand, is very original. I love how the alchemists have to draw the alchemic signs(with chalk), and the weapons they can create from alchemy is also pretty neat.

Does anyone know where I can download episodes?I only imported the episodes I saw.

FMA (Full Metal Alchemist) is a very good series, from what I saw, in a way it reminded me of Inu-yasha (the way the characters are, "grouped")

FMA is a series that you don't want to miss, it is inovative and clear, this is an absoloute must-see.

Here is my rating of the new series Full Metal Alchemist.

Good=+
Bad=-
Strange= :confused:

+Good character development and emotions.
-Average plot
+ Original use of magic,in the form of alchemy
? Why is Ed Elric so serious at times, when at other times, he is the funniest character in the show?

Favorite character- Ed, strikes the perfect balance between drama and comedy
Favorite aspect- The alchemisc weapons creation, definatly.
Favorite saying- Alchemy, science of the devil.[/QUOTE]
I think Ed is realy cute. Does anyone know how old he is?

[i]Argh, now you have got to tell me who they are. Do you mean they are other characters that have already been introduced? And which is the one with the green hair? Thanks.[/i]
[color=darkslateblue] The green-haired guy isn't a spoiler or anything, so I can pretty much tell everyone that he's Envy (don't worry, it's not a spoiler for anything). I'm definately not telling you who the other ones are! :P You have you find out on your own...[/color]

Oh, good. I was starting to worry that this thread would turn into Spoiler Central. Anyway, I'm glad that I now know how to spell Homunculus (which is, I assume, the singular form of the word).

I'm eager to meet Envy, if only because a) there seems to be a lot of confusion over his gender, and b) he's apparently a big favorite with the slash fandom, which is always kind of nice, heh. Anyway, is the green hair supposed to be some sort of visual pun? :animeswea

~Dagger~

[color=darkslateblue] The green hair? Hahaha! Never really thought about it like that before. ^_^;; Yeah, apparently a lot of fangirls like pairing Envy with Ed...and I've even seen Envy with Roy in which Envy SEDUCES Roy by pretending to be Ed. It was jolly. XD[/color]

Guest Magun
[quote name='Hittokiri Zero]Episode 29 dips back into the realm of freakyness and sheds some more light on what happened when Ed and Al tried to resurrect their mother. [spoiler]The fact that the boy found on the island has both Ed's arm and leg was kind of disturbing and so was the part where he transmuted himself to the bed o_O, what's up with Ed and Al's Sensei too? She seems to have some sort of disease/sickness as she started coughing up blood at the end again... Interesting developments just a little freaky... *waits for episode 30* [/spoiler'].[/quote]

im up to episode 35 and trust me it will all be explained in the next frew episodes i too found the fusing with the bed thing a little disturbing :animestun

[COLOR=blue]I'm not sure how the "FMA is not dark" stereotype began, but it's a terrible rumor plaguing a NOT light-hearted anime. Just watching the first five episodes made me realize that. I guess it's just because the characters smile, eh?
[quote name='Lunox']Yeah, apparently a lot of fangirls like pairing Envy with Ed...and I've even seen Envy with Roy in which Envy SEDUCES Roy by pretending to be Ed. It was jolly. XD[/quote] O_o There's so many things wrong with that sentence. o_O That's quite twisted, haha.

I have to agree with Lunox about the whole final ingredient thing: it wasn't that shattering. Sure, [SPOILER]it sucked[/SPOILER], but it wasn't really anything to "OMFG!" over.
[quote name='Dagger']Now I'm going to be in horrible suspense for heaven knows how long. I hope his secret is revealed soon, because I know so little about the situation that I can't even be bothered to start speculating properly. I also hope it's as shocking/horrific as his tone of voice (and his reluctance to tell Al) seemed to imply.[/quote]As a person fond of not having any anime spoiled, I won't spoil anything. I'll say everything when it is revealed, but for now...

That's an interesting point, Dagger. I didn't consider Ed's way of asking shocking or horrific (although I'm not saying I was right or that you are wrong). What made it seem so? The hesitation? There has to be some element in that scene that I must have missed, as I didn't pick up on that.

At this point in the game, I remember distinctly having thought of something by using my own brother-little bro relationship: [i]if I was in Ed's shoes, what would be on my mind[/i]? Again, not that it was necessarily correct, but it's just kind of interesting to note how different our speculations are/were.[/COLOR]

[i]At this point in the game, I remember distinctly having thought of something by using my own brother-little bro relationship: if I was in Ed's shoes, what would be on my mind? Again, not that it was necessarily correct, but it's just kind of interesting to note how different our speculations are/were.[/i]

[color=darkslateblue] Since you brought that up...FMA is somewhat predictable. By saying 'predictable' I don't mean I sat there while watching FMA thinking: "OMG I know exactly what's going to happen in the next 5 episodes!" It's just that, although there were...at least two shocking moments for me, nothing really made me go '....O_o...'.

For instance, when we found out who [spoiler] Pride[/spoiler] was, I guessed who it was correctly about several minutes before they actually told us. (Of course, when I predicted who it was, I was sort of "GASP why didn't I think of this earlier?") Same thing goes for Ed's secret question, I had guessed it correctly by the end of episode 23. The only serious shocking thing for me (which is sort of dumb, too) was when I saw [spoiler] Hoenheim. Seriously! I thought he was dead or something...[/spoiler][/color]

[i]I'm not sure how the "FMA is not dark" stereotype began, but it's a terrible rumor plaguing a NOT light-hearted anime. Just watching the first five episodes made me realize that. I guess it's just because the characters smile, eh?[/i]

[color=darkslateblue] Sort of makes me wonder... A lot of people just see FMA as a light-hearted action anime (probably because it has a decently-sized fanbase and it's on Adult Swim) that has no meaning, but I've heard some nice themes and such on the show plenty of times. I mean...I think I heard one of my favorite quotes from FMA in episode [i]two[/i]. And the latter half of the series is anything but...'light-heated'... o_o[/color]

=_= I remember going to fullmetal-alchemist.com and reading about the movie the first time and the interviewer would ask the cast questions and they barely gave us anything to work off of but here we have some moron (sounds like someone paid the story editor) who just gives away the entire thing to us.

Don't get me wrong, I like to know whats going to happen before I actually see it on screen but I never, ever have known enough to make me feel like I've already seen it.

*sigh* do I still want to see it? Of course, I just hope I didn't read to much.

[quote name='Lunox][color=darkslateblue'] Since you brought that up...FMA is somewhat predictable...[/color][/quote][COLOR=blue]Indeed, it is predictable. At the same time, though, it's a testament to how cohesive a story FMA is. That is, while you, Lunox, were able to see things coming, those that are not familiar with analyzing stories, situations, and details may have missed all the trace plot elements FMA has. It's like a good storybook: it tells you just enough so that you could know if you knew any better, but not enough so that it's blatant (all I can come up with right now is "And Then There Were None" by Agatha Christie). I can't think of an example off the top of my head that doesn't use foreshadowing and the like, but without these little elements, a story seems obscure and random, and not very well-planned.

I was actually talking about [SPOILER]Hohenheim of Light[/SPOILER] earlier, when I mentioned that it was around here that I picked up on the last sin-related theme FMA has. I have always loved and been familiar with literary theme of [SPOILER]"The Sins of the Father are passed on to the Sons"[/SPOILER], so I thought that indeed [SPOILER]everything - Ed and Al's quest, problems, and troubles would all stem from their father's trangression(s)[/SPOILER]. And I was quite ecstatic when that plot twist arrived - not so much because I guessed right, but moreso that they were wise enough to include it since it works so well.
[quote name='Lunox][color=darkslateblue]...I've heard some nice themes and such on the show plenty of times. I mean...I think I heard one of my favorite quotes from FMA in episode [i]two[/i']. And the latter half of the series is anything but...'light-heated'... o_o[/color][/quote] Indeed! FMA is simply amazing! I have never seen anything quite like it. I too have written a ton of things on the themes and other particulars about FMA (and I still have more to write)! There's just so much to be found and appreciated about FMA. ^^[/COLOR]

P.S. I think I saw you mention that you attained enlightenment and realized the idiocy that is Evangelion. Did FMA play any part? That is, after you watched FMA and noticed how philosophies that do make sense work so much better than made-up and often plot-hole-inducing ones, did you attain enlightenment? :p

[i]P.S. I think I saw you mention that you attained enlightenment and realized the idiocy that is Evangelion. Did FMA play any part? That is, after you watched FMA and noticed how philosophies that do make sense work so much better than made-up and often plot-hole-inducing ones, did you attain enlightenment? [/i]

[color=darkslateblue] Ha! *has a jolly laugh* Yes, somewhat. Full Metal Alchemist is like my dream anime come true (leaving out some corny parts). I don't want to use the word 'idocy' for Evangelion, since I still have respect for it (I mean, I think I dissed .hack//SIGN in that post, but I still have respect...although I do like it better than Evangelion now). It's just that FMA pulls many elements together so nicely! It's got the whole package: Action, angst, philosophy, humor, etc. etc. AND it's a very nice bonus that I love almost every character in the series. I just feel not many people really see the great quality that lies in FMA. [/color]

[QUOTE=AzureWolf][COLOR=blue]That's an interesting point, Dagger. I didn't consider Ed's way of asking shocking or horrific (although I'm not saying I was right or that you are wrong). What made it seem so? The hesitation? There has to be some element in that scene that I must have missed, as I didn't pick up on that.

At this point in the game, I remember distinctly having thought of something by using my own brother-little bro relationship: [i]if I was in Ed's shoes, what would be on my mind[/i]? Again, not that it was necessarily correct, but it's just kind of interesting to note how different our speculations are/were.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]
I guess I was just surprised that he flat-out refused to tell Al. I had been expecting him to continue with something like, "You know, I really didn't want to get you mixed up in this, but it's been bothering me for a long time, and..."

Instead he totally clammed up. Plus, Al seemed unduly alarmed, so I figured that he himself was starting to suspect Ed of something. I can't remember if Ed stated it ouright, but either way, he also seemed incredibly scared of Al finding out what he had been about to say. That plus the show's already established dark undercurrents made me think he was hiding something pretty serious.

~Dagger~

[COLOR=blue]They'll always be rumors about another season of your favorite anime. Let's face facts, though: they are just not true. We just really want them to be true, so we listen to them and buy into it.

Another season that wasn't planned from the get-go are rare, and even rarer if a series has completed airing.[/COLOR]

Guest Alchemist
[QUOTE=AzureWolf][COLOR=blue]They'll always be rumors about another season of your favorite anime. Let's face facts, though: they are just not true. We just really want them to be true, so we listen to them and buy into it.

Another season that wasn't planned from the get-go are rare, and even rarer if a series has completed airing.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]
C'mon it could be true. I hope it is Fullmetal is one of the gretest showson Adult Swim. It is a standard among anime fans. So i will keep my fingers crossed for another episode :D

The impossible has happened: Envy's English voice is even sexier than Lust's! Okay, that may be a bit of a stretch, but I was certainly impressed.

Al's next episode preview narration put me in a tizzy. Now I'll be indulging in rampant (and probably totally off-base) speculation for at least the next week. The final line was [spoiler]"How could all of my memories be fake?"[/spoiler] Now, assuming it's not a teaser that misrepresents what really happens next, that one sentence reminded me very, very strongly of a certain other show, which I dare not mention for fear of spoiling those who have yet to see it. And of course I'm immediately tempted to draw parallels between it and FMA, but that will probably lead me to a number of incorrect conclusions, especially given how little I know.

[spoiler]Apparently Ed's big feat (binding Al's soul to the suit of armor) wasn't too special after all, with all these bodiless armored guards running around. What immediately raised my suspicion (even before the preview) is the fact that the diagram on the inside of Al's helmet (?) is very similar, if not identical, to the diagram drawn on the helmet of the guy who was fighting Ed. Moreover, both appear to have been sketched in blood.

If, in that last line, Al was talking about a real & concrete situation/revelation--i.e. not an illusion created by some enemy or whatever--I'd have to question a lot of things. Such as whether he and Ed are even true brothers to begin with (again, this theory harks back to the unnamed series I mentioned earlier), or assuming they are, how much of their shared past might be fake. Having Al be a product of the prison/lab wouldn't quite make sense (how many years ago was it shut down, anyway?), especially since he has the voice of a child and all. Either way, it's still fun to think about.

I bet that a lot of this (FMA's future plot, though perhaps not the current arc) will be somehow related to Ed and Al's dad. He's scarcely been mentioned since the very beginning of the show, which actually makes me think that he'll become a super-important character (regardless of whether he's alive or dead) later on.[/spoiler]

That's just a guess, however, like pretty much everything else I've written. Watch me be completely off... predicting plot twists has never been my forte. :animeswea

~Dagger~

[spoiler]I'm pretty sure Al and Ed are brothers[/spoiler], but what Al said left me stumped too. I have no theories, since usually all my theories are wrong, and I'm too tired right now to type any out.

But what did Al mean by that? Is Ed keeping some big secret away from Al or something? Meh, it's going to be torture waiting for next Saturday..

[i]They'll always be rumors about another season of your favorite anime. Let's face facts, though: they are just not true. We just really want them to be true, so we listen to them and buy into it.

Another season that wasn't planned from the get-go are rare, and even rarer if a series has completed airing.[/i]

[color=darkslateblue] Personally, I don't even [i]want[/i] that to be true. I actually liked how FMA ended...as opposed to the other 99% who hated it. O_o. And the movie will most probably wrap things up. Making another series might just damage everything.[/color]

[QUOTE=Lunox][color=darkslateblue] Ha! *has a jolly laugh* Yes, somewhat. Full Metal Alchemist is like my dream anime come true (leaving out some corny parts). I don't want to use the word 'idocy' for Evangelion, since I still have respect for it (I mean, I think I dissed .hack//SIGN in that post, but I still have respect...although I do like it better than Evangelion now). It's just that FMA pulls many elements together so nicely! It's got the whole package: Action, angst, philosophy, humor, etc. etc. AND it's a very nice bonus that I love almost every character in the series. I just feel not many people really see the great quality that lies in FMA.

Personally, I don't even want that to be true. I actually liked how FMA ended...as opposed to the other 99% who hated it. O_o. And the movie will most probably wrap things up. Making another series might just damage everything.[/color][/QUOTE] [COLOR=blue]Lunox, how fast can you turn 18? <_<

Yes! Just... [B]YES[/B]! I feel [U]exactly[/U] the same way! Calling Fullmetal Alchemist an anime is derogatory - insulting even - as there's nothing quite like it, and it easily makes leaps and bounds past everything else (provided you take in everything it offers). That's why I consider it an anime anomaly, heh.

FMA pleases both higher thinking and mindless mayhem. As you pointed out, it can be enjoyed superficially, but if one was so inclined, you can also look at the bigger picture and enjoy the strong themes associated with FMA. The strongest thing, the integration, is just so seamless, as if violence and philosophy could always be together without sacrificing the quality of either.

As for a sequel, I also agree with you. I'm pretty sure I said it before in this thread, but I'm worried about FMA the Movie, as I was very content with everything - even the ending. It may have been open-ended, but there was hardly anything wrong with that. And while I do want more FMA, I'm concerned that FMA's "magic" just won't be as potent or even soured if it was continued. "If it ain' broke, don't fix it."[/COLOR]