OtakuBoards

Fullmetal Alchemist

Guest dark kitsune

[color=darkslateblue] Eh. I love literature, but I never really mind for knowing all aspects of the technical stuff. Her use of POV could be a little shaky if you thought about it, so I believe 'narration' would have been a better word.

Just to make this not OT,

Is anyone else excited about the FMA manga? :D Tons of people have told me that it's better than the anime because it gels slowly and has more character development/less plot holes. I'll be buying it when it comes out, anyway. [/color]

I'm definitely excited about the manga, I havn't gotten around to actually buying the FMA series on DVD, so I have to wait till Saturday and watch it on CN. The manga will solve my problem of FMA withdraws lol.

[quote name='Lunox][color=darkslateblue']Is anyone else excited about the FMA manga? :D Tons of people have told me that it's better than the anime because it gels slowly and has more character development/less plot holes. I'll be buying it when it comes out, anyway. [/color][/quote]
Mm... I'll pick it up eventually. I'm really, really unhappy with Viz right now, though, so I can't say I'm too enthusiastic about any of their manga titles.

However, what I've heard is that this is one of the rare cases in which the anime & manga are extremely different but both exceptionally good. While they do start off the same, I believe there's a certain point at which they're supposed to sharply diverge (in terms of plot). Of course, that's all second-hand information.

~Dagger~

I think everyone sure give Full Metal Alchemist a try. This is one of my favorite animes ever (on my top 10 list!!!), and my favorite Dubbed anime. :animesmil The voices are done extremely well, and I've also read the first volume and the computer, but I decided that I wanted to only watch the anime, until it comes out over here. :animesigh My friend says they added a lot of stuff to the anime that wasn't in the manga, so you might want to keep watching the anime, and then read the manga, because it goes much faster then the anime.

All in all, great anime, cool manga, you watchn tv/steal cable/go to the library, or whatever you have to do to see this series.

[color=darkslateblue] I was bored and watching tv, so I decided to watch a full episode of FMA on Adult Swim. I was pretty curious as to how they would dub Envy's voice (it would be my first time hearing the English dub), and let me just say...

I am very displeased. He sounds like a woman. The voice does not match...[i]at all[/i]. This is definately not a type of voice 'I could get used to'. I have no idea what they were thinking when they assigned that VA. Now I understand why fans get confused as to whether he is a woman or not. *sigh* Part of it is probably because I really, really liked Envy's original VA. It seemed perfect for Envy. :/

After listening to the English VAs for the longest period yet, I'm also displeased with the Fuhrer's voice and Al's. I loved the VAs of Tucker and Lust, though. :3 I've heard wonderous things of Vic's voicing of Ed, and it was pretty good. I still like the original, though. I tend to just like the Japanese VAs most of the time, except when it comes to Cowboy Bebop and .hack//SIGN.

Another thing that bugged me was a dialogue. Um...just sort of...lame, I guess. Only at some points, though. Such as the dialogue between Al and Ed. *coughs* Yeah, anyway.

Guilty secret: When I first saw this episode, I was hoping that Ed would [spoiler]make the stone right then and there[/spoiler]. *fiddles with thumbs* >_>[/color]

Well, fans got confused as to whether he was female or not long before he started showing up in the dub version (which has only been for the past two episodes or so--this is the second time we've heard him speak at length). And he [i]does[/i] dress rather like a girl. So I wouldn't exactly blame that on his English voice actress. :animeswea

Anyway, I was also hoping that [spoiler]Ed would commit mass murder.[/spoiler] Heh. I'm a little sadistic, I guess...

~Dagger~

[color=darkslateblue] Yos! I had to make this announcement, because I am that obsessed: [spoiler] There is a big change Hughes will be in the 'other world' in the FMA movie! :D It was hinted at in this month's isssue of Newtype. There was a picture of Gracia as the landlady of Ed's house/place/wherever he lives, and it had a caption saying: "Who is that cool guy always chasing after her?" Ahhh...I hope it's Hughes. He's my favorite FMA character. [/spoiler]

There were some really nice magazine scans about the FMA movie recently...you can find it here:

[url]http://www.fullmetal-alchemist.com:81/forums/index.php?showtopic=4301[/url]

:/ Unless that rule about linking to other forums is still in effect. If it is, I'll take the link down and attatch the pics.

@ Dagger: I really don't understand why people wonder whether or not Envy is a girl or not...*he has no boobs* >_>[/color]

This is the only anime show I have watched the beginning of and have followed through with all the episodes. I find it dramatic but not over the top, because you really get to sympathize with the characters and they have plausible reasons to do what they do. Very awesome show and it actually pulls at my heart sometimes. I feel so bad for the brothers, especially Al.

I don't care about dubbed/subtitles/crappy voices. I think they sound fine; I find it most interesting to have Al sound all pipsqueaky when he's in a huge hunk of armor.

[color=darkslateblue] I have lots and lots of free time today, so I'll go on with FMA's flaws.

[b]Lame writing[/b]: Most of the complaints I've heard about FMA's writing is that the writers were extremely sloppy and that there are tons of plot holes. If you want my opinion on plot holes, read my previous post about the first three flaws of FMA. As for the actual writing...it is any worse or better than typical better-than-average anime. I have yet to see an anime that does not have any cheesy stuff. Although FMA has some great lines in it as well...I loved them. :0 Especially [spoiler] Ed and Roy's conversation in episode 48.[/spoiler]

[b]Poor planning of the last 20 episodes[/b]: Lalala! The sun is shining, the birds are singing, and guess what? This often-heard complaint also goes in line with plot holes! I think I don't really need to expand on this more. The only thing I will add is that I liked the last 20 episodes. *shrug* [spoiler] Especially because you get to see lots of Hoenheim in one of the episodes. :3 I love Hoenheim very very much.[/spoiler]

[b]No character development ("Ed does not develop")[/b]: *makes odd noise* I get confused when people say that there is no character development in FMA. I [i]will[/i] agree that some of the characters' developments are not as strong, but Ed? He definately has development. To get all down and dirty and literal, a dynamic character is many times defined as "constantly changing, even if it is small change". I can and will say that Ed's character stays [i]very[/i] static throughout the beginning of FMA. Of course, his reactions to certain things do change, but they're all within his 'character scope', if you will. His attitude stays the same throughout big chunks of FMA, but it slowly changes. Ed sort of wobbles around throughout much of the anime. Does different things now and then, but in the end stays the same person he always was (this is pertaining to most of FMA, not all of it). I heard something interesting that someone once brought up: "Ed's surroundings are always changing, so he holds on and he himself never really changes." This could certainly be taken into consideration. Ed pretty much stays the same for a huge chunk of the anime, with the exception that he 'wobbles' around.

The real changes occur near the end. Is it huge and wonderous and painfully obvious? No. It is more subtle, but well done. (You can even tell in the art, as far as I can tell. Just look at his face and hair.)

I believe a huge part of Ed is his obsession, and another part being that alchemy and science is the answer to [i]everything[/i]. He really takes the Law of Conservation to heart, and applies to things that aren't even related to alchemy. When his mother dies, he belives alchemy will solve the answer. When his brother is without a body, he believes alchemy will solve the problem. He obsessives over things that he deems are worthy things to obsess over: point in fact Al's problem, the search the philosopher's stone, etc. etc. His ambition/obsession could be part of why he's such a brilliant alchemist. The whole time, Ed is so determined to obtain his goals. I cannot spoiler anything, but I think I can safely say this: a major part of Ed's development comes about when his goals change.

The major problem that could be said about Ed's character development is that most of it happens in the last few episodes. [/color]

Envy is a guy?!
Since Envy could shape shift I figured she just prefered to be a flat chested chick in her regular form. Whether Envy's a man or woman I guess depends on the voice actor. In Japan Envy's male and in America Envy's Female, but it's only for that form. Envy's voice changes with each form so I'm guessing the people who were in charge of voices thought a female voice was meant for that form.

[quote name='Noside']In Japan Envy's male and in America Envy's Female, but it's only for that form. Envy's voice changes with each form so I'm guessing the people who were in charge of voices thought a female voice was meant for that form.[/quote]
Mayumi Yamaguchi (Envy's seiyuu) is actually a woman. Which doesn't really indicate anything about the character--plenty of female seiyuu and dub actresses have been known to play male roles.

~Dagger~

[quote name='Noside'] Whether Envy's a man or woman I guess depends on the voice actor. In Japan Envy's male and in America Envy's Female, but it's only for that form. Envy's voice changes with each form so I'm guessing the people who were in charge of voices thought a female voice was meant for that form.[/quote]

Um no... Envy is a guy in the American version as well. He just has a woman voice actress. FUNimation isn't going to make him a girl just because he's got long hair and they gave him an american woman's voice. If they did, how would they explain the last couple of episodes when they reveal who created envy?

But anyway, I just recieved the DVDs in the mail just yesterday and finally finished watching them this morning and I have a few questions.

1.) [spoiler]When Al brings Ed back to life he doesnt have his automail arm, but when he sends himself through the gate and ends up in London or Munich (where ever it was..) he has it, again 0_o Can someone tell me why that is? Maybe I was seeing things and looked at the wrong arm when he was brought back, I dont know..[/spoiler]

2.) [spoiler]When Mustang confronts the Furher about his sercretary he comes out of the room and he looks like he was going to cry or he got hit by the Furher and Hawkeye wipes something on his face... What happened to him?[/spoiler]

These just may be things to over look or I probably missed something while I was watching it but these 2 things have been bugging me all day and I wanted to know if there was any explination.

Guest muize/manda
[QUOTE=dark kitsune]I'm wondering if any of you watch it. I just finished watching episode 7 and damned if it didn't make me cry....

So anybody into this particular anime as much as me? From what I've seen so far this anime is incredible. The character development, plot and artwork are great.

If you haven't seen it yet...then get busy![/QUOTE][FONT=Arial Narrow]undefined[/FONT][SIZE=2]undefined[/SIZE][COLOR=Teal]undefined[/COLOR] [B]hia am manda and i love full metal alchmist to its sad and scrry and fuuny i just love anime to am 14 teen waht do you expect of me people now come on am a fuuny nice prity girl thta cant spell for the life of her but steil is good in side well see ya lovz manda /muize [/B]

7-7 :catgirl: :animeshy: :animesigh

Guest muize/manda
[QUOTE=dark kitsune]I'm wondering if any of you watch it. I just finished watching episode 7 and damned if it didn't make me cry....

So anybody into this particular anime as much as me? From what I've seen so far this anime is incredible. The character development, plot and artwork are great.

If you haven't seen it yet...then get busy![/QUOTE][FONT=Arial Narrow]undefined[/FONT][SIZE=2]undefined[/SIZE][COLOR=Teal]undefined[/COLOR] [B]hia am manda and i love full metal alchmist to its sad and scrry and fuuny i just love anime to am 14 teen waht do you expect of me people now come on am a fuuny nice prity girl thta cant spell for the life of her but steil is good in side well see ya lovz manda /muize [/B]

&_&:catgirl: :animeshy: :animesigh

[QUOTE=xmystic_silverx]
1.) [spoiler]When Al brings Ed back to life he doesnt have his automail arm, but when he sends himself through the gate and ends up in London or Munich (where ever it was..) he has it, again 0_o Can someone tell me why that is? Maybe I was seeing things and looked at the wrong arm when he was brought back, I dont know..[/spoiler]

2.) [spoiler]When Mustang confronts the Furher about his sercretary he comes out of the room and he looks like he was going to cry or he got hit by the Furher and Hawkeye wipes something on his face... What happened to him?[/spoiler]

These just may be things to over look or I probably missed something while I was watching it but these 2 things have been bugging me all day and I wanted to know if there was any explination.[/QUOTE]

[color=darkslateblue] [spoiler]Well, to explain the whole thing... When Ed was first taken by the Gate, his soul and body were 'split', so his body remained in the Gate and his soul took over the Ed that was in the other world (the one with the shorter hair and no braid). And then that body was killed by the zeppelin, so his soul traveled back into the Gate and went back into his body. If you recall, Wrath's arm and leg (limbs that were originally Ed's) was taken from him by the gate during that time. Remember? When his leg/arm were taken, Ed was still in the Gate, so he came back to his original world. So when Ed was killed by Envy, his soul went 'into the gate', and with Al being the Philosopher's Stone, he was able to get Ed's arm and leg and soul and bind them all together (because at that time, Ed's arm/leg, and soul were all floating around somewhere in the gate). Then, Ed decided to bring Al back....well, as for that, I still don't quite understand. It could be possible that Ed's arm and leg were offered up for 'equivalent trade' once again...*shrug* And technically, his automail arm and leg would be in the Gate after Al replaced them with his flesh limbs. Um. Yeah. I hope you understand my ramblings. :3

As for the Roy thing...what episode was that? I recall it, but I don't really remember Hawkeye wiping something on his face. :/[/spoiler][/color]

[QUOTE=Lunox][color=darkslateblue] [spoiler]
As for the Roy thing...what episode was that? I recall it, but I don't really remember Hawkeye wiping something on his face. :/[/spoiler][/color][/QUOTE]

Oh I see ^_^ I understood that, lol.

Im pretty she did. Atleast it looked like she did. ~_~ I would check my DVDs right now but Im out of town and I can't find it at Devil's Nest. Its before episode 38 because I remember [spoiler]afterwards the Furher acts like nothing happened but afterwards tells general Haruko or whoever it was that he was only pretending to trust Roy, or something like that =_=;[/spoiler]

And after looking at all those screen caps I have just realized that some of those scenes are not on my DVDs 0_o Im hoping that I was out of the room or I looked away for just a second.

[COLOR=blue]Lunox, could you tell me specifically what the three plotholes are? FMA more than likely has plotholes, but I was wondering what they were and couldn't find it explicitly stated. ^^;

For the lame writing aspect, I'll say my piece in as few words as possible. You do need some background knowledge to fully appreciate FMA, and maybe without that knowledge, some of the writing is cheesy or lame. Certainly, there were times I didn't like what a character said, but I wouldn't call it a big deal or any reason to dislike an anime. That's like saying, "Oh, he said 'a' instead of 'the' in the 24 hours I've been watching this, so now it sucks."

I also don't understand the poor planning of the last few episodes. I think if people didn't know that was where the anime deviated from the manga, no one would be the wiser and this complaint wouldn't exist. Again, I would prefer actual examples rather than talking abstractly.

Those things are just minor complaints at best, IMO (unless there are actual examples). The character development aspect, however, is a really annoying argument. Not so much because Edward does change, but more so because of "what's so bad about no change?" Just because a character doesn't change, does that make it bad? Why? Explain.

So far, I've read the review, and I've read a ton of other complaints. Every single (seemingly good) complaint is merely [url=http://www.google.com/search?q=define%3Aappeal+to+authority]an appeal to authority[/url] (second definition). Ok, great, FMA doesn't follow that little graph in your 3rd grade english book with beginning, rising action, climax, and resolution. So what? To draw a parallel, it's like asking someone why they don't like their air conditioner in the window and they respond with, "Because it's not on the floor. In the store, it was on the floor."

I'm not going to elaborate any further unless someone doesn't understand where I'm with this. Here's the #1 clincher: show me a show that does follow the norm, that little 3rd grade textbook diagram. What few that do probably suck. Most shows have a variation on that simple diagram, where there are multiple rising actions and climaxes, one building on the other before one defined "rising action" even completes it's climax. FMA is one of them.

More importantly, what one has to understand is that these elements of a story are intrinsic to all stories, even if they try not to be. That diagram is not a "this is how a [B]good[/B] story goes" guide, but just an unchangeable law someone noticed about stories.

Honestly, all of these logically unsound arguments can be tossed at any show. To put it simply, I'd like to know the shows that those who complain about FMA consider good, and then will gladly expose the great deal of hypocrisy behind the person.

Again, FMA isn't perfect. Like any show, there is more than enough to complain about. However, be wise enough to complain such that shows you do like don't have the same problems you dislike.[/COLOR]

[i]Lunox, could you tell me specifically what the three plotholes are? FMA more than likely has plotholes, but I was wondering what they were and couldn't find it explicitly stated. ^^;[/i]

[color=darkslateblue] *scratches head* I wasn't saying there were exactly three plot holes... I was referencing back to when I addressed the plothole problem in FMA (IMO I could care less about the plotholes because the overall impression of FMA is so positive to me). As for examples...many people still blow up about [spoiler] Wrath being able to do alchemy, when Envy's face turns into a young Hoenheim (people complain that "if Hoenheim was switching around to a bunch of bodies he probably didn't have that current body at the time he had Envy blah blah blah", something about Wrath's age (the nit-picky people attacked it), how homunculi aren't able to do alchemy but Envy brought that bird back to life when he was imitating that priest, and a bunch of other stuff.[/spoiler] Once again... I could care less. The plot holes that many people point out are often insignificant and dumb [Hell, once this guy complained that Hawkeye shot 6 bullets at Black Hayate but there were 7 bullet holes or whatever. Dumbest thing ever. And then other people are going "OMG when is rains why doesn't the water seep into Al and wash off his seal huh huh?!" and I feel like smacking them.]

@ the writing problem: I am a huge literature fan, so if an anime has horrible enough writing, I'll hate it. What I mainly don't understand is that FMA [i]doesn't[/i] have horrible writing. Yes, it's cheesy [i]at times[/i] (rarely) but as I said, there are also good dialogue (from what I read from the subs, at least). Besides, if people actually want to complain about horrible dialogue in anime, they should not be pointing at FMA. But then again, I think most people use the term 'bad writing' to refer to the plotholes. Plotholes that are dumb and small to begin with, but whatever.

What annoys me in a lot of reviews is that people say that there are giant plot holes but fail to give us good examples. I mean...I do know there are plotholes and I would probably find them if I was bored enough to re-watch the series and jot down notes like a loser, but I'm not going to. So what I'm saying is that if you're going to officially review something (as in host it on a high-quality anime fansite where tons of people will read it) you should have some examples.

@ poor planning: Once again...people use the term 'poor planning' to refer to the 'plot holes'. Right now I can't think of many plot holes off the top of my head that came up during the last episodes (mostly because I don't care about them). *shrugs* Seriously, I just do not care that much for the supposed "poor planning" of the last 20 episodes.

@ character development: Well...I love character development, so I'd probably be sort of peeved that if Ed didn't change at all. :/ But he [i]did[/i]...so, um... *sticks tongue out* I get the most annoyed when people say there is no character development...because there obviously is.

As for the whole 'why do character have to even change' thing...well, I don't know. It has always been a huge thing in literature and has been passed on to other mediums. Possibly because of the Hero's Journey. In the process, the hero obtains the "elixer of life", which most likely stands for new knowledge/maturity. The Hero's Journey applies to almost every fantasy/myth/whatever book ever, so I wouldn't be surprised if you could find traces of it in modern literature.

P.S. Erm...I'm not sure if people understand correctly, but the 'flaws of FMA' thing I'm doing is like just tackling each one. I do [i]not[/i] agree with 99% of the complaints people throw at FMA. I'm just 'addressing' them, for lack of a better word. Personally I think everyone complaining about every aspect of the show should just shut up and go sit in their corner and watch the anime they like. [/color]

[QUOTE][B]Orignally Posted by Lunox[/B]
Personally I think everyone complaining about every aspect of the show should just shut up and go sit in their corner and watch the anime they like.[/QUOTE]

I agree. Not to be some kind of pet or anything but people who complain about anime every time a new kind of something is re entered should have their mouths taped or just plainly closed. Being judgmental isn?t a bad thing but it is annoying when there is too much of it. There is one thing behind anime, it either sucks or it doesn?t. Just small things people aren?t going to pay attention to. They will watch it either way. I will watch FMA no matter how wrong or twisted it gets. So stop complaining. If you have something major to say just say it. If it something small like ?in the first two seconds of episode 19 you couldn?t see an eyeball of a person in the background.? (Not true) leave it out. I continuously hunt down these people virtually and strangle them. (Doesn?t happen. But I wish.) *sigh* Alright I?m done.

[quote name='Kiba_the_Chosen']I agree. Not to be some kind of pet or anything but people who complain about anime every time a new kind of something is re entered should have their mouths taped or just plainly closed. Being judgmental isn?t a bad thing but it is annoying when there is too much of it. There is one thing behind anime, it either sucks or it doesn?t. Just small things people aren?t going to pay attention to. They will watch it either way. I will watch FMA no matter how wrong or twisted it gets. So stop complaining. If you have something major to say just say it. If it something small like ?in the first two seconds of episode 19 you couldn?t see an eyeball of a person in the background.? (Not true) leave it out. I continuously hunt down these people virtually and strangle them. (Doesn?t happen. But I wish.) *sigh* Alright I?m done.[/quote]

You've said it Kiba that took a lot of my typing down to nothing. But you are absolutely right, if you have a problem with an anime then dont watch it no ones forcing you to.

FMA is a awesome anime, i haven't yet seen any other anime that can top the excitement, adventure, anguish, humor , and devotion of the characters that you will find in FMA . If anyone thinks FMA is inappropriate in anyway, stop and take a look at all the movie that are way worse then this anime.

I am sick of hearing people say ?oh its to gory ? and for those who would say something along the lines of this ?I have come through the realization earlier in the show that this show is quite depressing and can make a viewer depressed also.? this anime wasn?t meant to be ?happy-go-lucky? what makes this a great anime is that its not your run of the mil ?demons Vs. hero?s? its actually is sad and touching. it's gloomy, it deals in death and religion a lot, and above that the main protagonists have also committed an atrocity as children.

If that?s not the kind of anime your looking for then steer clear of Fullmetal Alchemist.

That?s all I have to say. I haven?t seen the full series, I am up to par with cartoon networks Saturday showing but I am going to continue watching this great anime.

Seen it, watched it and loved it. its funny, it sad, its scary and it has drama. the only thing it's missing is the love. i mean romance, but hey, all the same it's going to the top ten of the year in my book. i love Al and Ed. they are great and Ed is hilarous when people call him short and when Al gets sad when they make a comment about his armor. I just finished watching the show and i bought some of the music for it because the music is great. The art work is awsome and i hope they make a movie.

Thanks for the compliment Ban Midou. And yes I am too only in the Saturday episodes of CN. Also WhiteAoiFox I too love the music in FMA. It is the best there is. (except for Fooly Cooly.) They should make a movie from the FMA series. It seems like the fit thing to do. Not to complain or anything but why haven?t they made a movie yet? It would have to be coordinated and loving. Add all the emotions in there too. Alphonze and Edward are just the best characters I have seen in an anime. Two brothers trying to bring their mother back but wind up screwing up. Deep thought and caring love. Then join the military that ought to make her happy. LOL. I haven?t see all of it but it is a great anime. All who want to make complaints about anime start your own thread so that way we don?t have to listen to your mouth yapping away on our treasures. Anime is one of the few things in this world that makes the world spin. If you got a problem with it take it up with the producer. But an FMA movie, if you guys start complaining about that I will personally add you to ?kill before I die? files. You life will be a ruin. Now back to the FMA being a movie. I don?t know what it would be about but it would have some awesome story line. I find the storyline in FMA amazing and confusing at some times. The plot is an over all favorite. There is one part that confused me but I found it out after I went online. That flash back to the present. What an great additive to the story. The humunkulai are plain powerful and most of the military is a mystery. I don?t think you can deny FMA an award. Let?s not forget about the coronal?s daughter. Isn?t she cute. (He really pisses people off with the photos.) Finally we can?t forget about Ceska. The librarian and book worm. She is the FMA version of Yomiko Readman. (R.O.D.) I can never forget that moment when they military found a stray dog and how Mustang gave a full lecture on how he loved dogs. Yet he gave it up and Hawkeye now own the dog. I just love the scene when it pees on the wall then Hawkeye shoots at it. How strict. I will file an animal abuse charge. In conclusion this is an anime that is memorable and has a great story line. Hats off to you FMA.