OtakuBoards

Fullmetal Alchemist

Guest dark kitsune

[quote] baka said :
[spoiler]just out of curiosity and since i see no spoiler button. did ed and al's dad make the homoculi(sp?)? the reason i ask is envy says he cant stand ed because he has his blood in him. so it made me think the person that created them and the only other person i can think of is their dad. i could be wrong though.[/spoiler] [/quote]

Since nobody answered your question, baka. I'll give it a shot. beware, it is a spoiler if you haven't seen the ending and don't want to be spoiled

[spoiler] Envy was originally the son of Ed's and Al's father a long time ago. He fell into the same type of hatred and saddness that most homoculi face...only he seems to be venting it out on Ed and his dad (who is also Envy's dad). Homoculi aren't created out of thing air. Basically they are people that died. These people were then attempted to be brought back to life by another family member...it was failed and what was created instead was a homoculi. They contain the old memories and feelings of their deceased equivalent....at least deep in their subconscious. Some of them regain it and some never do.[/spoiler]

I'm not going to get into it too much, in case you want to leave some of the mystery for later on.

I can't wait for the movie to come out this summer in japan...then I'll be able to find out whether they were true to their words that they plan to continue where the anime left off...and answer some questions that weren't answered.

[COLOR=blue]Guess what I did this Memorial Day Weekend. ^^

Going back to the plotholes, the only big one that I remember being brought up was [SPOILER]Wrath being able to perform alchemy[/SPOILER]. Usually it's Ed who comes up with the scheme or mechanism, but this time around, it was Alphonse, so that might explain why people consider it an unexplained plothole. Afterall, who listens to Al? =P

Anyway, [SPOILER]Wrath obtained Ed's arm and leg. Wrath also is all-too familiar with the Gate. You can tell that he remembers the gate probably more clearly than any human, as he goes crazy when Dante summons it and he sees it. His exposure to the gate, along with him having genuine human parts instead of artificial limbs, are more than enough to explain how Wrath is able to use alchemy. Al points out that Wrath creates a circle in a similar fashion to Ed using those limbs. I imagine he doesn't need to strike his hands together because of his greater familiarity with the Gate.

In addition, Ed later mentions how he can manipulate a homunculus' body with alchemy because they are not the same as humans. So, while all the homunculi have seen the gate, but none have the human component necessary to perform alchemy. Also, Hohenheim mentions how all the homunculi know everything about alchemy, but can't perform it[/SPOILER].

As far as his "nonsense alchemy" goes, [SPOILER]there are a variety of alchemical styles, like the Flame Alchemist's style (he can manipulate flames without his gloves - he just can't create the fire without them), and so an untrained person who knows everything about alchemy probably wouldn't use it in a graceful fashion[/SPOILER].

I really have to say, there's a lot FMA has that you miss out on in the first sitting. It was quite the treat to watch the show again with foresight and see how much material I was skipping or ignoring. Not a bit of dialogue, subtle gesture, or carefully-planned panorama is a waste, even though that's the impression you get the first time around. Even when you find out later, you just don't remember or link the two for whatever reason. While I enjoyed FMA more watching it the first time, I appreciated its grace more watching it the second time.[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=AzureWolf][COLOR=blue]Guess what I did this Memorial Day Weekend. ^^

Going back to the plotholes, the only big one that I remember being brought up was [SPOILER]Wrath being able to perform alchemy[/SPOILER]. Usually it's Ed who comes up with the scheme or mechanism, but this time around, it was Alphonse, so that might explain why people consider it an unexplained plothole. Afterall, who listens to Al? =P

Anyway, [SPOILER]Wrath obtained Ed's arm and leg. Wrath also is all-too familiar with the Gate. You can tell that he remembers the gate probably more clearly than any human, as he goes crazy when Dante summons it and he sees it. His exposure to the gate, along with him having genuine human parts instead of artificial limbs, are more than enough to explain how Wrath is able to use alchemy. Al points out that Wrath creates a circle in a similar fashion to Ed using those limbs. I imagine he doesn't need to strike his hands together because of his greater familiarity with the Gate.

In addition, Ed later mentions how he can manipulate a homunculus' body with alchemy because they are not the same as humans. So, while all the homunculi have seen the gate, but none have the human component necessary to perform alchemy. Also, Hohenheim mentions how all the homunculi know everything about alchemy, but can't perform it[/SPOILER].[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[color=darkslateblue] It still does not make sense. [spoiler]It is specifically said that a being need a soul to perform alchemy. Although Wrath may know much about alchemy, the Gate, and has two human arms, it does not give him a soul. Unless it is taken that an arm and a leg equals a soul.[/spoiler] It simply does not make any sense, and it is probably due to poor writing. [/color]

[COLOR=blue]Having watched the entire show, I don't recall at any point them mentioning that [SPOILER]a person needed a soul to perform alchemy[/SPOILER]. However, [SPOILER]Hohenheim does say that all alchemy performed derives it's spiritual energy from the other side of the gate by taking a life[/SPOILER].[/COLOR]

[color=darkslateblue][spoiler] I do not feel like looking through the whole series for direct quotes, but in episode 31, Wrath says that the "result of that [body alchemy] is this incomplete thing that lacks a soul..." And why can Al still perform alchemy in his armor form? Because he still has his soul. [/spoiler]

Actually, if you want to find a direct quote saying that a soul is needed to perform alchemy, I'm sure anyone could find one during the part in the series where Ed explains why Al can still do alchemy. I'm sure it's somewhere near the beginning, but I just don't feel like looking for it.

[SIZE=1][b]Added closing spoiler tag. I wasn't sure where it was meant to go, but since the opening was there, I thought there needed to be a second... I hope it's in the right place, heh. -Solo[/SIZE][/b][/color]

[COLOR=blue]There's only one way to settle it, and that's finding the exact quote and where it's stated. Why? Because I just watched all of FMA and I'm 99% sure there was no such discussion between Ed and Al like that. Not once did either of them try to explain why Al can still use Alchemy. I think it was not so much because it was a plothole as just something that didn't need to be explained.

And again, I think that "you need a soul to perform alchemy" is just the general conclusion people come to because of the homunculi. However, it's never explicitly stated. As Wrath even says in your quote, [SPOILER]Ed's arm and leg have no soul[/SPOILER]. So, if we go with the belief that [SPOILER]Wrath can do alchemy[/SPOILER] is a plothole, then yes, the idea that one needs a soul to perform alchemy is indeed plausible.

However, if we were to go with another notion, that [SPOILER]Wrath being able to do alchemy[/SPOILER] is NOT a plothole, then the soul idea is not plausible in the least.

So if it's never stated why the homunculi can't do alchemy and humans can, what do I think matters? Simply put, [SPOILER]you need something from this side of the gate. Al's soul is from the side of the gate that performs alchemy. Ed's arms and legs are from the same side of the gate. The homunculi are from the other side of the gate, and so can't perform alchemy. Get what I mean?

The best way they can confirm this is by showing in the movie a person coming into the alchemical world from the other side. I hope the movie does that, heh.[/SPOILER] :p[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=AzureWolf][COLOR=blue]There's only one way to settle it, and that's finding the exact quote and where it's stated. Why? Because I just watched all of FMA and I'm 99% sure there was no such discussion between Ed and Al like that. Not once did either of them try to explain why Al can still use Alchemy. I think it was not so much because it was a plothole as just something that didn't need to be explained.

And again, I think that "you need a soul to perform alchemy" is just the general conclusion people come to because of the homunculi. However, it's never explicitly stated. As Wrath even says in your quote, [SPOILER]Ed's arm and leg have no soul[/SPOILER]. So, if we go with the belief that [SPOILER]Wrath can do alchemy[/SPOILER] is a plothole, then yes, the idea that one needs a soul to perform alchemy is indeed plausible.

However, if we were to go with another notion, that [SPOILER]Wrath being able to do alchemy[/SPOILER] is NOT a plothole, then the soul idea is not plausible in the least.

So if it's never stated why the homunculi can't do alchemy and humans can, what do I think matters? Simply put, [SPOILER]you need something from this side of the gate. Al's soul is from the side of the gate that performs alchemy. Ed's arms and legs are from the same side of the gate. The homunculi are from the other side of the gate, and so can't perform alchemy. Get what I mean?

The best way they can confirm this is by showing in the movie a person coming into the alchemical world from the other side. I hope the movie does that, heh.[/SPOILER] :p[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[color=darkslateblue] Yeah, I get what you mean by the whole [spoiler] you need something from the other side the Gate etc.[/spoiler] thing. Ack. I don't know. I do know that this soul thing didn't come from nowhere, it's said somewhere, be it the anime or the manga. It's very possible I picked it up form the manga.

I also do know that it was basically reaffirmed when I read this review:

[spoiler][i]...At the end of the series, rules that governed the homunculi are forgotten, remembered and then discarded for the sake of a bad plotline (think Lust and her reaction to her remains and compare that to Greed and Pride. That's just sloppy writing). And as for the ability to actually DO alchemy, the anime guys seemed to have forgotten that it's a person's soul that can call forth the power to do it. That explains how Al can still do it without a flesh and bone body. But that doesn't explain how Wrath can do it with just Ed's arm (as it is stated over and over again very clearly so that even mental fucktards can understand "Homunculi can't perform alchemy"). Did they think any of this **** through?! [/i]

[url]http://www.therossman.com/rrr/anime/fullmetalalchemist.html[/url][/spoiler]

and the guy who writes it isn't one to make stuff up or anything. He's just uh...very passionate.

I have NO idea. Please excuse my brain-dead-ness, it's summer break for me and my brain has melted, lol.

And yes, hooray for the movie. The sad thing is that we probably won't get to see it until after about a year it comes out in Japan. :/[/color]

what an interesting idea....azurewolf's theory about [spoiler] there needs to be something that belongs to each side [/spoiler] makes alot of sense.

Notice Ed at the end of the anime, [spoiler] when he was in the other world... he no longer was in the opposite side of the world but on the same side....which would explain why he can't use alchemy in that other world [/spoiler].

the anime really didn't go into depth about [spoiler] Wrath's ability to use magic [/spoiler] except to simply state that [spoiler] Wrath's human arm and leg from Ed, who CAN use magic, is allowing wrath to use magic [/spoiler] because of this...I think it wasn't a plothole and simply something they didn't want you to dwell on for too long.

I think the biggest plot hole has to do with Winry. in the manga they apparently (from what I heard) make her a very important element ...but in the anime [spoiler] they basically dismiss her as simply there to watch over al while Ed is not there [/spoiler]

I really can't wait for the movie to come out....it is due in the summer in japan!

Guest insanewolfgirl
I don't no if it was episode 7 but there was a very sad episode where they killed one of my favorite characters from Full Metal Alchemist. I won't name the char. in case you havent seen that particular episode.But i do love Full Metal Alchemist. :animesmil

[SIZE=1]I actually just read the first manga yesterday.I haven't seen the anime and I don't plan on it.Ever since I read all the Furuba avaliable in the US and watched the anime,I didn't think it was very good.But I only watched the English dub so...

One thing that confused me a little was when Lust and Gluttony were speaking with whats-his-face (the guy tricking the people that his alchemy was miracles).Where did they suddenly show up from and what do they have to do with the plot? Do any of the other "Seven Deadly Sins" show up anywhere in the anime? Because the next manga is yet to be released.And did Lust kill him? It seemed like she did because I believe that Gluttony ate his arm or something.[/SIZE]

[QUOTE=haruno_sakura]I watch Full Metal Alchemist!!! I haven't had the chance to watch episode 7 yet because of all the film papers that I've got to write, but thanks for the tearjerker warning ^_^ I'll be prepared with a box of tissues beside me! ^_^

From what I've seen so far, I don't see a connection with Full Metal Panic, but I could be wrong. The only reason it's called Full Metal Alchemist is because [spoiler]the protagonist is an alchemist who has gone beyond the laws of alchemy to attempt in reviving his dead mother, but because this is forbidden, he's doomed living his life with a metal arm and leg, and his brother, who was his accomplice, was only able to survive through the project when his brother trapped his soul into a suit of metal armor. [/spoiler] Confused yet? LOL. My apologies if I didn't explain it very well, but it's a great anime, and well worth watching!!! ^_^[/QUOTE]

[CENTER]Yeah, I knew that Ed had a metal arm but i didn't know that he had a METAL LEG! Ed gets all mad just cause people make fun of him cause he's all short[/CENTER] ;)

[QUOTE][B]Originally Posted by:[/B] Elementangel
Yeah, I knew that Ed had a metal arm but I didn't know that he had a METAL LEG![/QUOTE]

As far as that goes I do remember them showing his metal leg in episode one. When he pulled off his tattered clothes he revealed his leg and arm. But I don't criticize you. It is still a great anime no matter what you think. Also Elementangel I have some pics of wolf?s rain Characters. If you want them just tell me in your next post but leave the rest of wolf?s rain talk in a different thread. Now series wise does anyone know how many seasons FMA has. I would like to know so I can go out and find some. Finally Chibi I like it that you love FMA. It is great. Short is Ed and so I am-

He?ll be up in a minute please don?t worry about any damage done to him.

[color=navy][font='Comic Sans MS'][size=1]<>[/size][/font][/color]
[color=navy][font='Comic Sans MS'][/font][/color]
[color=navy][font='Comic Sans MS']Kiba- FMA has 51 episodes plus the soon-to-come-out movie. So that?s one season. [/font][/color]
[color=navy][font='Comic Sans MS']MomijiLove- if you go to pages 96 and 97 (I think it?s about halfway through the book) you?ll se Lust stabbing him in the head with her claws. And I?m pretty sure all seven sins show up at one point in the series.[/font][/color]

[color=navy][font='Comic Sans MS']
Now I have a question: Anyone know how/why/when Winry?s dog gets that mechanical leg? Because it's really been bugging me latley...[/font][/color]

Guest MajorAlchemyFan
what r u guys talk'n 'bout? is there really an fma movie out yet? can u give me more info plz?

[quote name='MajorAlchemyFan']what r u guys talk'n 'bout? is there really an fma movie out yet? can u give me more info plz?[/quote]

hi majoralchemyfan....I guess I'll be happy to answer your question.

yes, there IS a FMA movie. They are going to release is this summer (2005) in Japan. According to them, they plan to answer alot of questions that wasn't answered in the series.

I don't know how long it will take for it to come to the states....but as soon as it comes out...I'll probably be scanning for reviews from people to see if the producers kept true to their word.

[url]http://www.shochiku.co.jp/hagaren/top.html[/url]

here is a trailer...it is entirely in japanese but it'll give you an idea what the movie will be about. hope that helps.

• 2 weeks later...
I have many question that i need to know the answer to, but since this is about FMA i know it's going to be merged with that thread anyway. My big question is [spoiler]Who is the father for Roses baby?

My friends thinks she might of been raped and the baby was the result of it, but i think it's scars myself. Does anyone really know?[/spoiler]

I'm a full believer in the fact that [spoiler]Rose was proabably raped. Think, before we see her near the end of the series, we last see her surrounded by children in a church as the State Military release all kinds of hell outside. he tells the children that everything's going to be all right and she has a positive, yet somber expression. When we see her next, she's gone mute, she looks even more somber, and she has a child. Her muteness could have been brought about by trauma, which is often times resulted by rape. So the therory of being raped by soldiers is not so faroff.[/spoiler]

[quote name='duoikari']I have many question that i need to know the answer to, but since this is about FMA i know it's going to be merged with that thread anyway.[/quote]
Um, okay. If you knew that, why didn't you post in the FMA thread in the first place?

Also--and this is directed at everyone--please use [b]SPOILER TAGS[/b]! Not everyone here has seen most or even all of FMA; I'd reckon that the majority of people posting in this thread have been watching it for the first time on CN (although in truth that shouldn't make a difference--just use spoiler tags whenever they might be needed, even if there's a good chance that everyone already knows what you're talking about). Personally I do not enjoy being spoiled, and editing posts for spoiler tags isn't all that fun, either.

If you have any questions, check out the Anime Lounge's spoiler tag sticky thread or send me a private message. Thanks.

~Dagger~

[color=navy][font=Futura Lt BT][size=2][color=navy][font=Futura Lt BT]Yes. They showed it on Cartoon Network on [Adult Swim]. ...Infact(sp?) right now they are showing reruns during the week.[/font][/color][/size]
[size=2][color=navy][font=Futura Lt BT]Also [spoiler]when you say Rose has a baby[/spoiler] (not sure if that should be in spoilers) are you talking about the Rose from Lior (is that the name of the town? It?s the town in the first two episodes.)? Because I don?t ever remember her [spoiler]having a child.[/spoiler] Is there a different Rose besides the one from the first two episodes?[/font][/color][/size]
[font=Futura Lt BT][size=2][/size][/font][/font][/color]
[color=navy][/color]
[color=navy][font=Futura Lt BT]Oh and Duoikari there's a sticky with all the official threads from different shows at the top of the Anime Lounge forum if you ever need to know where another thread is! [/font][/color][color=navy][font=Futura Lt BT]And I'm sorry if you feel that anyone is accting really mean to you because I don't think they are trying to.[/font][/color]
[font=Futura Lt BT][color=#000080]Edit: [url="http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=38208"]here[/url]'s the link in case your having trouble finding it.[/color][/font]

Of course Iwatch it! I've seen all 51 episodes(I must warn you, episode 50 will make you cry river, all be damned if I didn't. I'm not going to give it away,though! If you liked tyhe first seven, you'll LOVE the rest. By the way, the artwork and plot are amazing, aren't they? Another thing: IT'S BASED ON A TRUE STORY!!!!!!!!! The alchemy and everything is real.(Trust me I'm a State Alchemist myself!)
Another thing, the Elrics still live in Resenbool-I've met them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy the anime!

[QUOTE=Tyler Koregaten] Another thing: IT'S BASED ON A TRUE STORY!!!!!!!!! The alchemy and everything is real.(Trust me I'm a State Alchemist myself!)
Another thing, the Elrics still live in Resenbool-I've met them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[/QUOTE]

Based on a true story? Just because the practice of alchemy was real doesn't mean the story of Fullmetal Alchemist was based on a true story. I mean, Im sure there were some alchemists who looked for the Philosophers stone but there hasn't been anyone who has lost limbs - in real life - because of alchemy. I always thought that alchemy in the Medival days was the same as chemistry today.

I don't know if you're being sarcastic or if you really think you've met the Elrics..

Guest IchiLilSlugger
Full Metal Panic & FullMetal Alchemist are two different animes which in themselves are pretty awesome. To clarify this for Stephanie Tyler.