OtakuBoards

Fullmetal Alchemist

Guest dark kitsune

Haha that is quite the funny post Im sure he is joking around of he had a little to much Coca Cola today :P And as you had said Alchemy was really based on our modern day chemistry but with herbs and other various items.

No, it actually was based on a true story. And,no,alchemy is hardly related to chemistry. Be ready for a definition:
Alchemy: Science of breaking down an object of a certain mass and rebuilding it into something of the same mass. Alchemiy is also a very precise science, following a code of laws called the[I]Magnus Opus[/I](mahg-noos ah-poos). The three mother laws are The Law of Conservation, The Law of Equivalent Exchange, and The Law of Peretrium(peh-reh-tree-oom).It's also true that alchemy has been practiced for over 1,150 years. And, I wasn't being "sarcastic" when said I'd met the Elric brothers.

Thank You

[SIZE=1][QUOTE]I haven't seen the anime and I don't plan on it.[/QUOTE]

Ha ha.I quote myself.That quote is now false.I was sitting up late last night and I watched the last 3 minutes of Inuashya.Then FMA came on and I'm all "Oh neato!" so I watched it.It was the episode where the guys each get "stolen" somehow.(Al gets his armor stolen and Ed his leg) I seriously almost had a heart attack when Lust was talking to [spoiler] and killing [/spoiler] the guy who gives Al and Ed the library information.Can't remember his name. T.T

Does anyone know what episode # this is and if they play them in order on AS?
PM me if anyone cares to answer.No one ever answers my questions.[/SIZE]

[QUOTE=Momiji Love][size=1]
Does anyone know what episode # this is and if they play them in order on AS?
PM me if anyone cares to answer.No one ever answers my questions.[/size][/QUOTE][font='Times New Roman'][font=Comic Sans MS][size=2][color=navy]I believe you are talking about episode 16, That Which is Lost. And yes, they play them in order on [Adult Swim]. And glad you enjoyed the anime![/color][/size][/font][/font]

[QUOTE=Tyler Koregaten]No, it actually was based on a true story. And,no,alchemy is hardly related to chemistry.
[/QUOTE]

I don't know who told you it was based on a true story because I've never read that anywhere on an FMA site or any other source.

Okay, you gave me the definition but that doesn't tell me what scientists actually [I]did[/I] . I don't know if you think that the alchemy performed on FMA was how it actually looked in real life, but it wasn't.

You say that alchemy was hardly like chemistry, which is not true. It was. Considering that - even though many alchemists tried to create gold from lead or create the philosopher's stone - it was merely mixing different elements or rearranging the atoms to make new elements.

Here is a definition for you:

[i]"the medieval [b]chemical science[/b] and speculative philosophy whose aims were the transmutation of the base metals into gold, the discovery of a universal cure for diseases, and the discovery of a means of indefinitely prolonging life"[/i]

[QUOTE] And, I wasn't being "sarcastic" when said I'd met the Elric brothers.[/QUOTE]

Mmmhmmm...

Okay, maybe I overreacted when I said chemistry and alchemy are [I]hardly[/I] related. It's true you have to have a knowledge of elements, minerals, herbs, and whatnot, but that's where the similarities end. And maybe not the [I]whole[/I] series was based on actual happenings. Things like the Gate, the different countries
(Amestris, Ishbal, etc.), and the homunculi(which are based on Roman mythology)
aren't real, but, you know, they have to add [I]some[/I] fantasy. However, the
definition you gave me is of a real practice, but not alchemy. It was actually the definition of the Ancient Egyptian practice of [I]Al-khemi[/I], which many people mistook for the word "alchemy" and used [I]it[/I] as the definition. I don't blame you, though, because almost every text, source, and website on alchemy gives this definition. How do I know this, you may ask? Because, like I said, I'm a State Alchemist serving in Southern Germany.(I'm being serious here, trust me.) Oh, and when you asked me what the alchemists [I]did[/I], I didn't answer you because I couldn't. The Fourteenth Article of the [I]Magnus Opus[/I] (which is alchemy's code of laws) states that "[I]No sworn alchemist under the oath of Gandhiis shall reveal the ways of this science, or he shall be taken of his certification.[/I]" Sorry, it's kind of an alchemist's "taboo", if you will.
Thanks!

I love fourteen year olds who try to make themselves sound like they are intelligent :) Well thats was the joke in truth Alchemy is quite fake its a fantasy -- A medieval chemical philosophy having as its asserted aims the transmutation of base metals into gold, the discovery of the panacea, and the preparation of the elixir of longevity.

Now if you take in Chemistry The science of the composition, structure, properties, and reactions of matter, especially of atomic and molecular systems. They are not one in the same but quite close when Chemistry and Alchemy have somthing in common they both break down substances and then rearrange the molecules. But the diffrence comes in Fantasy and Reality, Chemistry Is real and if you look at any definition of Alchemy you can almost tell that it was a fantasy. But this is dealing with the CHEM part. So your are actually quite incorrect and I love how you try to get definitions off of
[url]HttP://www.Dictionary.com[/url] To make yourself look intelligent.

And I will Finish with Alchemy -- A seemingly magical power or process of transmuting: ?He wondered by what alchemy it was changed, so that what sickened him one hour, maddened him with hunger the next? (Marjorie K. Rawlings).
Tyler Koregaten's Biography
Biography:
Some regard me as a genious.I am a Statte Alchemist(yes,they are real) stationed at Gorresfinn Furrte in southern Germany.I'm also a geographer.

Your Biography also is a littel incorrect you spelled [B]State[/B] wrong and you forgot to put a space after the period's

But who am I to correct a "Genious" When my grammar and puncuation is horrible?
And its also Genius Sorry Buddy :)

Next time you challange a big boy to a duel I suggest you get all the facts straight.

I love fourteen year olds......

[url]http://img189.echo.cx/img189/3411/genius0pi.jpg[/url]

Im Sure he was just trying to be sarcastic but I love getting in a good E-Thug Fight every once in a while :P

Hey,hey,HEY! Who the hell said I'm fourteen!? I'm 21 years old damn it!! You're the one whp made that grammatically incorrect biography!!!! By the way, that apostrophe in "periods" wasn't right either!!!! And didn't you even read my post!?
I explained that that definition of alchemy isn't even alchemy!! Re-read! :mad:

You're welcome
P.S. I won that one!(state alchemists rule!) :p

Its obvious that your mad becuase youve been proven wrong or you would explain to me why I am incorrect. You've made many misteaks and even spelled STATE and Genius Wrong please you are either 12 years of age or a very foolish old man. And I said that I am not the best in Grammar and or Puncuation but I do know how to "Speel" correctly. Yes I do know how to spell correctly I am just making a joke :P

Oh and that Biography is the one sitting in your Profile so never accuse me of wrong doing and I took a Screen Shot so that I could prove to everyone after you had made the changes(They have not been mad yet) And If you know German please speak some to me in your next post since Im quite fluent in Italian and German.

What you said was actually that He Said Al-Khemi Or somthing of that term you never stated other wise.

Anyone can lie on the NET so for all I could know you are ten or you are really as you say 35 years of age.

[quote name='Tyler Koregaten']Hey,hey,HEY! Who the hell said I'm fourteen!? I'm 34 years old damn it!! You're the one whp made that grammatically incorrect biography!!!! By the way, that apostrophe in "periods" wasn't right either!!!! And didn't you even read my post!?[/quote][color=navy][font=Comic Sans MS]Off Topic: Actually earlier today I was looking at your profile and the biography was exactly what Ima wrote. ...but I don't see where you got that he's 14 from.[/font][/color]
[color=navy][font=Comic Sans MS]But can we please stop arguing? This doesn?t even have anything to do with FMA.

[/font][/color][color=navy][font=Comic Sans MS]On Topic: I was looking at another FMA website when I came across a thread talking about goodies in the third DVD so I thought I?d share them here.[/font][/color]

[color=navy][font=Comic Sans MS]To get to them you have to:[/font][/color]
[list=1]
[*][font=Comic Sans MS]Go to the episode menu[/font]
[*][font=Comic Sans MS]Go to any episode?s menu[/font]
[*][font=Comic Sans MS]Put the cursor over the roman numeral IV[/font]
[*][font=Comic Sans MS]Move the cursor to the right[/font]
[/list][color=navy][font=Comic Sans MS]The red symbol that appears on Lust?s chest, Gluttony?s tongue, [spoiler]and a part of the body on all the other homunculi[/spoiler] should appear if you click that symbol it?ll bring you to a Japanese preview for the next episode (on Be Thou For The People there?s a preview for ?The Phantom Thief Psiren?, on The Phantom Thief there?s a preview for ?Earth of Gravel, Part 1?, ect.) They?re not the previews that they play at the end of the episode but funny ones. Oh and at least ?The Phantom Thief Psiren? one is rather fast? you might need to pause it to read the subtitles.[/font][/color]

Quit criticizing me! You make spelling errors, I do, everyone does, okay!? You know what? I'm going to skip straight to the German:
[I]Freude,schoner Gotterfunken, tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder, was die mode streng geteilt:
Alle Menschen werden Bruder, wo dein sanfter Flugel weilt. Seid Umschlungen, Millionen! Diesen Kuss der ganzen Welt! Bruder, uberm Sternenzelt muss ein lieber
Vater wohnen.[/I]
How'd you like that!?
You're very welcome
P.S. Criticize me and you pay! :D (State Alchemists rule! :p )

You've also made a few misteaks in your native language but thats alright your message makes little sense at all since some words are spelled incorrectly, I really do not want to continue this here since it is off topic as somone stated so let us use AIM or Some other means of talking.

Sie sind ziemlich der Narr und ich wirklich lieben, wie Sie auf Deutsch richtig nicht buchstabieren konnen

I migh be able to translate that to spanish but I havent used spanish in five plus years so.

Off-topic: Ima I'm sorry about the hotheadedness I have :) by the way Germany's not my native country, Denmark is.

You're right, let's quit our arguing and stick to the FMA.(I was still telling the truth and I'm still not 14.) Anyways.... Episodes 49-51 are my favorite episodes, what are yours?

I would argue more but it seems that Ima has already taken care of that. Oh how I love grammar, and if my teacher didn't have a weird way of grading, I'm pretty sure I would have failed that class but that is getting off topic.

Anyway, thanks to Gin! I knew Funimation put some DVD extras on one of them. I'll be sure to tell my friend >_< It only peeves me that they haven't put anything on the YYH DVDs. Unless they did but no one knows how to get to it.

I do have a question, though. It has to do with the Chinese FMA game, I think it's for the PC but anyway, does anyone know where to find it? Do they even sell original copies of this game anymore? I know it's called Bluebird's Illusion, but that's about it.

You know, I think I saw a game like that for the PC at Shin's Imported Goods in Atlanta. If he doesn't have, maybe he can special order it. But, if he can't get it, he
has a lot of Japanese Fullmetal Alchemist games for the Gameboy and PS2.

You're very welcome.

[color=#503f86]I'm incredibly annoyed that I happened to miss these posts when they came up, but if I see any more arguing such as this in threads again, you're both liable to be banned. Personal arguments/flaming is to be kept strictly off the boards and in your own time.[/color]

[quote name='Solo Tremaine][COLOR=#503F86']I'm incredibly annoyed that I happened to miss these posts, but if I see any more arguing such as this in threads again, you're both liable to be banned. Personal arguments/flaming is to be kept strictly off the boards and in your own time.[/COLOR][/quote]

Can you believe this Solo a 30 plus man and a 20 something year old arguing over nothing calling it a E-Thug Battle what has Otakuboards become to you all a place to have little squabbles and arguments over a anime and a unproven form of Science.

[font=Century Gothic][size=1][color=navy]OffTopic: Glad they've stoped fighting... kinnda sad that Solo had to post about this...[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Century Gothic][color=navy][size=2]You know the Easter eggs I was talking about on the third DVD ?well they?ve got them on the first too! (This probably means they also have them on the second? though I haven?t checked.)
[/size][/color][/font][font=Century Gothic][color=navy][size=2]Anyways I love the re-run that was on last night. Such a sweet episode! ?the first time they showed it my cousin was over and she, my mom, and my brother all watched it with me. They all liked it a lot ?though my mom and cousin were convinced Armstrong was a butler and were scared by his sparkly-ness (Though I am too...). And I think I had missed episode 16 the first time around? I know I remember Hughes and Ed?s conversation while on the train and the little paperboy? but I don?t remember a single other thing from that episode.
[/size][/color][/font][font=Century Gothic][size=2][color=navy]One more thing? you know how on the [Adult Swim] showings of the first either twelve or thirteen episodes I think (?well whenever it was that they were supposed to show the first opening theme) they showed Ready Steady Go instead of Melissa? I herd that the only opening theme that they are playing on [AS] is Ready Steady Go and that they wont play either Rewrite or Undo when they show the rest of FMA on the TV. Does anyone know if this is true or not? I?m pretty sure it is?[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Century Gothic][size=2][color=#000080][color=navy][font=Century Gothic][color=navy][font=Century Gothic][size=1]Edit: I just got back from walking my dog while waiting for my brother's bus to drop him off... which was incredibly boring... it kinnda felt like it was raining a few times when it was really windy (maybe somebody was watering plants?) and it just made me think: You know Al's quote from episode 16 "It's no fair, sky. I'm the one who feels like crying." Doesn't that just make you wanna go give him a biiiig squeeze hug??? Oh yes and I also liked him pretending to be a ?cursed demon arm? in that episode.[/size][/font][/color]

[/font][/color][/color][/size][/font]

Yeah, I'm glad we stopped arguing, too... Anyhow, episode 16 does make you cry, doesn't it? Also, thanks for the DVD Easter eggs. SPOILER:
[spoiler]Okay, if you go to animenuke.com, and register, you can download Japanese anime episodes, mangas, and music videos!(you can only download one anime episode a day, but mangas and music video downloads don't have a limit.)
Trust me, you'll LOVE this site![/spoiler]

You're very welcome.

i really wasn't here for the arguing... so if nobody minds I'd like to address another aspect.

Everyone was talking about alchemy and chemistry.

Well... since I am a chemist, I love this type of history lesson.

Believe it or not....alcemist are chemist....or rather they were. Orginally there didnt' exist such things as scientist. Everything was thought to be a black magic of some sort. Scientist, in the older days, loved to manipulate elements to create other elements...that is how they noted alot of the chemical reactions that take place....and some tried desperately to turn things into gold. These scientist were called "alchemist" because of their obsession with finding the composition of elements and their reactions.

Once science was realized as more than simply magic...alchemist became known as Chemist.

Another area that used to have a different name were pharmacists, in the older days they were referred to as "apothecary"

One of the things I love about fullmetal alchemist is there ability to be consistent with their idea that "elements are not created, but manipulated" this is actually a very simple rule that we, as chemist, were drilled to know by heart which is "nothing can be created nor destroyed" ...which is known as the "law of conservation of energy".

I think this was one of the things that really made the anime stick out to me.

Off Topic:
Well Chem you may or may not be right in that history lesson since your quite incorrect and just because youve taken chem in High school dose not make you a Chemist but Early form of Chemistry was not Alchemy they are seprate but close in aspect. A simple definition is difficult if not impossible. The alchemists always maintained a special interest in the changes of matter and surely most of them accepted the concept of transmutation, but there were other significant strains evident in alchemical thought as well. Important among these was the early and persistent belief that the study of alchemy had a special role in medicine through the preparation of remedies and the search for the prolongation of life. In addition to this was the belief that alchemy was the fundamental science for the investigation of nature. And yet, if the alchemists spoke repeatedly of experience and observation as the true keys to nature, they also maintained a fervent belief in a universe unified through the relationship of the macrocosm and the microcosm?a relationship that of necessity tied this science to astrology. So alchemists did study many diffrent things not just one subject. So Chemistry and Alchemy are quite diffrent and yet they are the same in some aspects, Thanks and nice try. Most if not all science is based of alchemy but they were never converted but a new science was made with the basic laws of alchemy, but it was not the same. Alchemy was the first form of science as a whole that is why they studied so many subjects.Now the Law of conservation of energy if you would have known anything about this then you would know that its not objects it is energy that cannot be destoryed and or created. Hence its name.... Objects are diffrent they can be destoyed A Chemical Change is an example of this, either it is a whole new object or is destoryed fully.

Exact Definition: Energy in a system may take on various forms (e.g. kinetic, potential, heat, light). The law of conservation of energy states that energy may neither be created nor destroyed. Therefore the sum of all the energies in the system is a constant.

Now this is also without a outside force, such as friction. So this can also be false at the same time. It all depends.
Please Discontinue any talks about this since its quite pointless and I think ive proven all that is needed to be known. And I really do not feel like getting Banner and or getting anyone else in trouble

Topic: The game can be ebayed and if you PM me Im sure I can give you an exact link Ive seen it a few times and I wish I would have saved the link itself for reasons like this. It was sold by a US seller so that will help out quite alot in the price of the game.

no disrespect ima....but what you said isn't entirely correct either

[url]http://www.crystalinks.com/alchemy2.html[/url]

just to quote from it
"It has been said that alchemy can be credited with the development of the science of chemistry, a keystone of modern science. During the alchemical period the repertoire of known substances was enlarged (e.g., by the addition of sal ammoniac and saltpetre), alcohol and the mineral acids were discovered, and the basis was laid from which modern chemistry was to rise. Historians of chemistry have been tempted to credit alchemy with laying this base while at the same time regarding alchemy as mostly "wrong." It is far from clear, however, that the basis of chemistry was in fact laid by alchemy rather than medicine. "

I was simply generalizing the idea but it is true that alchemist were chemist...or rather they were created by alchemist's research. Whether medicine could have played a factor...it is very possible since the history isn't so clearly cut.

As for taking it in high school...no....I didn't only take it in high school. I have a Bachelors in Chemistry at FIU... so I think I have a little more knowledge of chemisty that you gave me credit for.

topic: regardless....I have to admit it was one of the best animes I have yet to see which accurately depicts an element of science that isn't technology. Especially how they defeated some of the enemies by sometimes just using the phase changes in an element. What an outstanding anime!

[COLOR=blue]Correct, ChemAngel. The father of chemistry, Paracelsus, was a 15th century alchemist who was doing something with medicine. I don't remember exactly what he was trying to do, but it was definitely something with medicine, which is why medicine is given credit in some way.[/COLOR]

OffTopic: Yes if you would have read my post and noticed that I said most if not all of science is based off of what was called alchemy since alchemists studied a variety of subjects so if you would please disregard stating that I was incorrect then I would appreciate that. You little history lesson did not explain what you just stated so, why should I have to make a general idea of what you had said? next time while arguing with me over this please be a little more specific. Sorry for not giving you credit on you being a "Chemist" but I really did not know this, and If you are offended by this im quite sorry. "Once science was realized as more than simply magic...alchemist became known as Chemist." Sorry I did not even see this.
"Most if not all science is based of alchemy" That is what I had said :P you must have missed it.
I might have made a few misteaks as you have said but I am not one to know much about either of these subjects besides a few things I had read on them. Thank you for correcting me and I have really learned somthing today :P

You know what they say "You learn somthing new everyday."

Inuyasha7271: As for what you had stated you either wanted a free post or are really a very insecure person, debates and arguments are actually one of the best things a person could do. So next time you think about making a general statement like this I suggest you throw it in the trash can, reason for this is because you were far more off topic than I and you added to this by stating that.

And what I don't understand is that we are ontopic, we are talking about Alchemy and Chemistry being close if not the same.

On Topic: Hmmm I forgot what the subject was..... Oh yes the video game well I guess he skipped right over my post. But as for DVDS I assume all of these are Japanese. If not where and when have you been buying english dubbed FMA animes? Since last I knew only a few episodes are out.