Jump to content
OtakuBoards

Recommended Posts

Posted
[SIZE=3][SIZE=2]Hey guys[/SIZE] [/SIZE]
This is really interesting. It's kind of a brain teaser.

Condition : You must do this in your head. Don't use paper to write out the problem.

Take 1000 and add 40 to it. Now add another 1000.
Now add 30. And another 1000.
Now add 20. Now add another 1000. Now add 10.

What is the total?



Did you get 5000? Most people do, but the correct answer is actually 4100. If you don't believe me, try using a calculator or writing it on paper.
Posted
my first thought was 5100 actually... but before i went on i saw that there was only four additions of 1000... the problem isnt people using incorrect math, its how we are taught to do math, the carry over concept in this problem gets cofusing, since you cannot "see" the next place.
Posted
[quote name='Nerdsy'][COLOR=deeppink]I have a real hard time believing that most people would come up with 5000 as their answer.[/COLOR][/quote]

[SIZE=1]As far as I remember it comes down to adding the last 10 from 4090, people jump to 5000 when adding it on.[/SIZE]
Posted
[quote name='Gavin'][SIZE=1]As far as I remember it comes down to adding the last 10 from 4090, people jump to 5000 when adding it on.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

That's what I've been doing. I just now realized, my brain is tricking itself into moving that 9 up to make it 4900 instead of 4090.
Posted
[quote name='Gavin'][SIZE=1]As far as I remember it comes down to adding the last 10 from 4090, people jump to 5000 when adding it on.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[color=deeppink]I understand the idea behind it, and I understand that this could very well happen, but I just can't see this being the case with most of the people who try this.[/color]
Posted
[quote name='Nerdsy'][color=deeppink]I understand the idea behind it, and I understand that this could very well happen, but I just can't see this being the case with most of the people who try this.[/color][/QUOTE]



American public schools?


I got this easy...but I do large areas of square footage and large poundage computations all day so my math stays fresh.
Posted
See, this is the kind of math I like. Simple head calculations. It's pretty easy to see how people could screw up and think it was 5000 though.
Posted
I got this right the first time, and I have almost failed math for many years in a row. Thus I have concluded that the majority probably does NOT get 5000. But now I feel all math smart-ish. Thanks for that.:animesmil
Posted
[FONT="Trebuchet MS"]And this is one of those brain teasers that didn't come out wrong when I added it up. I can see the idea behind getting it wrong but at the same time it's also easy to see that it's not going to end up being 5,000. [/FONT]
Posted
[SIZE="1"][COLOR=#35425e]I got all lazy so I just added the 4 1000's and then added the rest. Got 4100. Commutative property + laziness = math smarts!

Kind of reminded me of this:

[CENTER][COLOR="DarkRed"][B]The Missing Dollar[/B] [/COLOR][/CENTER]

I borrowed $50 from A and another $50 from B. I bought a dress that costs $97 so I now have $3 worth of change. I gave $1 to A and $1 to B, so I still have $49 + $49 = $98 of debt. But I have only $1 left. That's $98 + $1 = $99. Where's the last dollar?

[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Posted
people shouldn't feel ashamed about getting a math problem wrong.... did you know five out of every three people use fractions incorrectly?
Posted
[quote name='Delta'][SIZE="1"][CENTER][COLOR="DarkRed"][B]The Missing Dollar[/B] [/COLOR][/CENTER]

I borrowed $50 from A and another $50 from B. I bought a dress that costs $97 so I now have $3 worth of change. I gave $1 to A and $1 to B, so I still have $49 + $49 = $98 of debt. But I have only $1 left. That's $98 + $1 = $99. Where's the last dollar?

[/SIZE][/QUOTE][font=secret font!][size=3]The dollar you have doesn't add to your debt, it subtracts from it. You owe $98. You have $1. Thus, you're $97 in the hole?which is the cost of the dress.

Dig some quarters out of your change jar and give each of your friends a buck fifty instead of a dollar. That way you'll owe each of them $48.50?exactly half of what you spent.[/size][/font]
  • 2 weeks later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...