OtakuBoards

Simplicity

Akieen Cloud

[COLOR="Navy"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]So Raiha's grooming thread got me thinking about something. I'm a simple woman, I don't like fancy stuff and I would rather sit at home with my husband, drink an ice cold beer and watch a good football game or play Halo or something of the like than go to a fancy resturaunt. I'm not big on gifts, I'd rather have something practical instead of something shiney and the point of wearing a pound of make up baffels me. All I wear is eyeliner and that's a rareity. It takes alot to get me out to dinner, once every 6-7 months we'll go out to take a break from the kids but that's really about it. Birthdays and anniversaries are the usaul and I suppose my over all question is how simple are the men and woman here? Do you go all out, or just keep it simple?[/FONT][/COLOR]

[font=franklin gothic medium]I try to go out once each weekend, but my definition of "going out" is pretty simple. Usually I'll just go to a movie and then have a quiet session at Max Brenner afterwards. Either that or I'll go to a movie and then have dinner at a nearby restaurant (although this happens less often).

Sometimes I like to just take my dog into the city and walk her around one of the big parks (Botannic Gardens and Fitzroy Gardens are my favourites at the moment - but sometimes I go the extra mile and travel down to Albert Park).

So even though I do go out, I usually keep it simple. I can't generally be bothered doing big things with heaps of people - often I'm just too tired and I want to enjoy my weekend by relaxing.

But I do love doing my own thing at home too. Last Saturday my sisters and some friends came over and we just played some Left 4 Dead 2, had some drinks and pretty much just hung around. It was good to see them all and it was very relaxed.[/font]

I'm strictly a t-shirt and jeans guy, and it's what I wear pretty much everywhere unless the situation strictly calls for another style of dress (showering or sleeping, for instance). I've also got long hair simply for the fact that I never felt like getting it cut (although on some days it does look kinda cool, depending on its mood). In most areas of my life, I almost always tend towards the practical and simple rather than the fancy because I think it's more personal, sincere, and humble.

Also, makeup weirds me out so much. It's not exactly a dealbreaker or anything, but any amount of it (even just some eyeliner) makes a girl look significantly less attractive to me. Even the concept of it is weird--that women should alter their faces with all these crazy liquids and powders so they'll feel more attractive; I've heard it quite aptly described as "real life Photoshop". By saying this, I don't mean to sound condescending to people who wear makeup or to imply that it's wrong to do so, I'm just expressing my personal quirks on the matter (although I do think you should consider how right I generally am about everything and act accordingly).

I don't wear a lot of make up. Heck, I'm fifteen. What do I need that stuff for? I sometimes use some cover up if I have an especially stubborn pimple I'm trying to hide until it goes away.

I love jeans and cruddy sneakers. My favorite outfit is my amazingly oversized "Live Love Laugh Be Free" tie-dye t-shirt, whitewash jeans with holes in the knees that got there after months of rough treatment, and my favorite sneakers that I've worn everywear for the past couple years or so. I don't like dressing up. Too much of a hassle, really.

My parents are really interested in traveling, but I could care less. I hate traveling. If I find a place that I want to call home, then I want to stay there. I'm perfectly happy with sitting in my room instead of going to another state to see the sights.

[SIZE="1"][COLOR=#35425e]Simple is fine, but I draw the line at frumpiness. That's my kryptonite. I'm lucky enough to have found my style, so I look presentable even if I dress down. Practice makes perfect, and perfection simplifies things greatly.

As for going all out, I'm for it as long as it's well-planned and within my budget. I'm much too afraid of an impaired reward center in the brain, so I treat myself to something nice when I've done something commendable.

Great topic, KG![/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR="DarkRed"]My typical dress anywhere and everywhere are converse, jean flares, camisoles and a hoodie. However when I'm working for a client for photography, I dress the same but I spruce it up with makeup mascara and eyeliner, hair styled, and sweater instead of hoodie.

For photography, I need to dress to impress depending on the client. I still need to look professional but with photojournalism, jeans and sneakers are the key.
[/COLOR]

[SIZE="1"][COLOR=#35425e]Simple food, anyone?

I have just recently discovered how yummy [i]aioli[/i] is. Still can't get over the fact that it's just garlic and olive oil. Dead simple! Any sauce that's quicker to prepare than pasta makes my list.

Oh and bruschetta! When I have to leave *really* early for a trip, I make this; my day is made by 4 am.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR="Navy"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Mac and Cheese and Ramen. They can be made so much better with just a little altering. The oriental, I fry up an egg and put it on top and mix in orgeno with the seasoning, the pork, I take salt pork, and chives and it turns out great, the pork one is my husbands favorite.[/FONT][/COLOR]

I actually wear armor everywhere. It's not about fashion, though. It's about fascism.

Nothing says "I'm here to be your absolute dictator" like a fine combat ready steel breastplate, equally awesome greaves and boots and a large, blood-soaked axe.

But the most essential part of the would-be feudal fascist dictator's persona is his willingness to smite unsuspecting unworthies precisely between the eyes with his axe, claymore, mace, or whatever brutal weapon he chooses to make his statement with.

Make-up, of course, is a no-go. But warpaint, on the other hand, is encouraged for any hopeful conqueror who has a sense of flair and can appropriately match his warpaint with his battle kilt, sash, or headband.

Jewelry taken from the bereaved women of those silly fallen challengers may be worn as a battle prize, but this cannot be done modestly. It must be flamboyant, over-the-top, and slightly disturbing; so as not to be confused with a frilly pirate--whom you are NOT.

For a night out on the town, I recommend a nice, full body cloak made from polar bear hide, or any equally endangered predator. To compliment that, try a sash(or belt) made from the scalps of vanquished foes and a modest crown forged from the artifacts taken from some holy site.

Keep in mind, though, your crown shouldn't really so much be saying "I'm king"; it should say something more like "I'm gunning for king here, and I'll probably slay you over your broth to prove my point, so don't sass me."

Of course, while entertaining guests, do so tastefully with mead laced with hallucinogens, that way they'll be encouraged to see you as the awe-inspiring demi-god that you are.

Finally, any official ceremonies, vehicles, totems, ships, banners, fortresses, mead halls, or throne rooms should be adorned with a simple, but impressive, symbol of some kind. Mine is a silhouetted raven's foot, to remind my subjects and prospective subjects of the animals that will consume their mangled corpses should they resist me.

-Justin

[font=trebuchet ms] Simplicity is relative, so while I think I'm a pretty simple girl I'm sure that, judging from some of the responses here, some OBers might disagree.

For one, I love makeup. I enjoy putting it on, how it makes me look, etc. etc. While I admire girls who are naturally beautiful and can pull of never wearing makeup, I'm just the type of girl who always has to put some on. But I don't really go crazy, just foundation, eyeliner and mascara.

Fashion-wise I'm a stickler for simplicity. I love preppy, clean-cut and single-color clothing (other than rugby stripes, which I also am obsessed with). In general I hate glam clothing, and I dislike layered outfits and patterned fabrics.

Can't really say I strictly enjoy "simple" foods, because while I can really happy with a bowl of edamame or apples and peanut butter, I can go pretty crazy when I cook pastas, make salads or other dishes.

And call me a loser, but I prefer sitting in with two or three other people watching movies/tv and cooking dinner rather than drinking and partying. Although I enjoy getting drunk and dancing, I do it like twice a month (which I'm sure to most college students is revolting).[/font]

[quote name='Lunox'][font=trebuchet ms]Although I enjoy getting drunk and dancing, I do it like twice a month (which I'm sure to most college students is revolting).[/font][/QUOTE]

I can't remember the last time I went to a party at college, and I don't drink at all, so it's not shocking to me. And nearly all of my friends are the same way. Birds of a feather?

I guess on the outside I'm a pretty simple person. I'll take mac n cheese or a hamburger over most fancy dishes. Probably because I haven't really been exposed to other dishes but I stick to what I know I like.

I probably don't dress simply to some people but it is to me. I usually wear jeans, a shirt with a cardigan, my Birk clogs, and hair straight. Shirts are usually decorated to some degree. And I usually wear my pearl studs. I hardly ever wear make up, with the exception of important dates, such as a job interview or something. Even when I went on two "dates", if you want to call them that, I didn't wear make up. I dunno. I've been told a lot of my life that a.) my freckles are absolutely friggin' precious, b.) my eyes are beautiful and interesting, and that's about it so I usually don't do anything to them. Plus I have vitiligo, complete with two splotches that cover my eyelids, it looks like like pink/purple eyeshadow so I kind of get a freebie there.

tl;dr, I'm a simple person.

Justin, would you mind if I used your description for my Global class? We're learning about the Dark Ages right now, sooo...

I love a McDonald's cheesburger every now and again. Thin as they may be, I enjoy them.

Pretty much the only thing I eat over the summer is instant ramen. Beef is the best flavor!

And now you guys have got me hungry...