OtakuBoards

Posting problem

akiodie

i don't think this is really that big of an issue cause i just clicked in the remember me option (which i hate doing) but the logout times for idol members is insane here i had prepared this really long post and lost it completely cause the forum logged me out before it could post it :( that's so uncool... like i said i clicked the remember me option but you should know it logs you out after like 5 minutes of being idol and it counts you idol even if your on the site...

[font=franklin gothic medium]Hi akiodie. You might be better off posting this in the [b]Information Kiosk[/b] forum. That's basically where suggestions and feedback go.

That way everything's in the one easy place for us to follow up. :catgirl:
[/font]

[FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]I just went ahead and moved the posts over into a new thread here. I personally don't know what the idle time is but I'm sure Desbreko or someone else can answer that question for you akiodie.[/COLOR][/FONT]

this happened to me once as well... got up to go to the bathroom and two hours of my life were gone.... i dont know how to change the idle logging out, but i would just use a text document or an online word program so it dose not happen again.

[font=franklin gothic medium]Currently the system is set to log people out after 15 minutes of inactivity (provided that you haven't checked the "Remember Me" feature, I think).

I don't necessarily mind extending that, but it seems to be tied to the Who's Online feature as well.

In other words, the same setting controls how long a user will be shown on the Who's Online screen after their most recent activity. I'm a bit hesitant to mess with that too much (in other words, I'd recommend just using "Remember Me" feature and then logging out whenever you're ready).

But I'll discuss it with Des and Petie, I'd like to get their thoughts before making this change - I want to make sure we don't distort the Who's Online display too much.[/font]

[COLOR=Blue]I honestly think that it's likely not a great idea to change it as it will definitely skew the accuracy of the who's online list. Sure, you can check the time of a user's last activity on their profile but that doesn't show up on the front page.

As for preventing this from happening in the future, you have a few options. As already mentioned, you can simply check "Remember me" which will prevent you from being logged out (though won't keep you on the who's online list permanently). As you said you don't like using that feature though, I have a good middle ground for you.

Most browsers have a privacy feature to clear all private data once you close the window. So, you could enable that feature, check remember me, and it will only keep you logged in while the window is open. This, of course, applies to all other sites as well though.

Finally, you could always just type up your posts in another program or select all and copy before you submit to prevent you from losing them in the event this happens again.

I think that that middle option is likely your best bet as you seem to be concerned about privacy anyway. I'm completely open to discussion here and I'd like feedback from others as well though.
[/COLOR]

[font=franklin gothic medium]Also I should mention that if I'm on a shared computer, what I do is click "Remember Me" but then at the end of my session I just click Log Out.

I mean, yes it's an extra step and you need to remember to do it...but it's also not very difficult to do, especially when you get into the habit of logging out after each session.

But Petie did provide some good alternatives, if you don't want to have to log out each time.[/font]

[FONT=Calibri]I think the best solution to the problem is to open the Who's Online pane in another tab while you work. Since this page constantly refreshes itself, it'll also continuously reset your idle timer and will keep you logged in while you type lengthy posts.[/FONT]

[color=#4B0082]The expiration time for the cookies that checking the Remember Me box sets is a year. So if you do that when you log in and you still get logged out after a while, it either means your browser blocked the cookie or else it got cleared somehow.[/color]

[font=franklin gothic medium]My initial interpretation was that the issue with the idle time is when you don't click "Remember Me", but upon reading the inital post it looks like akiodie is being logged out even with that option selected.

If that is indeed the case, then I think Desbreko has some good advice. But if it's happening without having selected Remember Me, then akiodie, I think there are some good options here for you to try.

Let us know how it goes - I can understand how frustrating it must be.[/font]

i think its fair to say that you might have prohibited the use of cookies on your computer, enable them and the remember me option will work for you, since the thing that prevents idle time outs is a cookie.