OtakuBoards

Fave 'Toons

The Tentacle

[b]I can't believe I forgot about Kablam. I really miss that show. Prometheus and Bob were one of my favorites.

Anyways, one show I never seem to hear about from anyone is:

-My Life As a Teenage Robot
The title says everything about this show. It's a girl who happens to be a teenage robot that has to save the world. The stories can be a bit cliche sometimes but there was something special about the characters. Tuck is great. I think it still plays on Nickelodeon if anyone wants to check it out.[/b]

[quote name='Lilt' date='26 August 2010 - 04:16 PM' timestamp='1282853806' post='699895']
[b]Anyways, one show I never seem to hear about from anyone is:

The title says everything about this show. It's a girl who happens to be a teenage robot that has to save the world. The stories can be a bit cliche sometimes but there was something special about the characters. Tuck is great. I think it still plays on Nickelodeon if anyone wants to check it out.[/b]
[/quote]
QUARP!

One of my favorites, actually. I like the art style and the quirky colors! I agree with the cliche bit. I really like some of the voice acting, too.

QUARP! Edited by chibi-master

[quote name='Lilt' date='26 August 2010 - 08:16 PM' timestamp='1282853806' post='699895'][b]
Anyways, one show I never seem to hear about from anyone is:

[/quote]

I loved that show so much! Jenny kinda annoyed me most episodes but still great. :D

• 4 months later...
I've gotten on a kick with looking up old cartoon series lately and unearthed a whole slew of favorites.  I'm giving serious consideration to branching out into collecting non-anime stuff now.  [b]The Adventures of the Galaxy Rangers[/b] would probably be first on my list with [b]Marshal Bravestar[/b] and the [b]Bionic Six[/b] being added later.  

I'm sure I'll think of a few more before long.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='Sangome' timestamp='1282520610' post='699745']
[color="#9932CC"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]... [b]Recess[/b], [b]Pepper Ann[/b]...[/font][/color]
[/quote]

Massive brownie points to you for remembering the classics.

As for me, the cartoons that will always have a place in my heart are:

Beast Wars ([I]technically[/I] 3D, but still very cartoony)
Spiderman (the good old 90's version)
Batman Beyond
X-Men Evolution
Avatar: The Last Airbender (I figure this falls in between the Cartoon and Anime categories)
Doug
Aaahhh! Real Monsters
As Told By Ginger
The Wild Thornberrys
Hey Arnold!
Loony Toons
Reboot
Madeline
Garfield
The Weekenders

EDIT: Oh, and Danny Phantom, because I enjoyed it way more than I thought I would. :V Edited by Mistress Duck

Apparently I never posted in this topic. Time to fix that!

So I'll just gush about one cartoon that I've recently re-discovered for now: [b]Hey Arnold![/b]
Yep, that wacky late 90's cartoon about various kids and adults livin' in a New York City-esque environment. It's a flippin' cool show. I liked it quite a bit when I was a kid, and I'm finding that I still like it now! Yay for no nostalgia backfire!

What's neat about the show is they don't just follow the titular character, Arnold. Although he [i]is[/i] the main character, there are plenty of episodes that follow other people, such as the boarding house residents, the kids from school, people in the neighborhood, etc. There are even episodes about Dino Spumoni, AKA the Frank Sinatra of the show. It's just so cool.
The other thing is, they don't gloss everything over with sunshine and lollipops. People have problems; they don't live in the best neighborhoods or have the best family lives. Not every episode ends on a happy note. But I like that. I like that they were kinda showing kids, "Look, everything won't always be perfect, but you live on and grow." Or something like that. It's entertaining and slightly meaningful at the same time.

And of course, my favorite character, Helga! Oh boy, she is special. What a lovely, angry, stalker of a girl! She's surprisingly deep for a kid's cartoon character, ya know? Although the show is good at character development in general, I always felt Helga's was done really well. Also, something I never really realized as a kid is that, her family is kind of terrible. Her older sister Olga is perfect and super emotional, her mother Miriam is an alcoholic (although she's never shown actually drinking any alcohol), and her dad "Big Bob" is an unfeeling jerk. Generally speaking, anyway. Her family members aren't just one notes either, but you get the idea.

The only negative/weird things I'd say about the show are 1) the depiction of fifth and sixth graders. Oh my gosh these kids must've been held back until their teenage years or they've been taking steroids! What the heck, they're so huge! This can be argued away with, "But when you're in fourth grade, the fifth and sixth grade kids seem so big and mature." Even so, it's quite odd to me. And 2) man these nine-year-olds sure do a lot of stuff. They go out at night by themselves, go out on DATES at restaurants! Not to mention all the school and city events they do and the wide variety of them, although this isn't as strange as the going out at night on DATES at restaurants!