OtakuBoards

Fave 'Toons

The Tentacle

While I was out this weekend I scored all three seasons of [b]Batman: The Animated Series[/b] at Best Buy.  Aside from a couple of animated movies this is the only non-anime series I've really felt like adding to my DVD library.  

I'm wondering of if the rest of you Otaku have any favorite cartoons that aren't anime.  Aside from the aforementioned Batman series the only other one I'd really be interested in obtaining would be [b]Conan the Adventurer [/b]and possibly the [b]Pirates of Dark Water [/b](that'd be an impulse buy though).

Oh, CGI series also count since I'd love to find complete series box sets of [b]Reboot[/b] and [b]Shadow Raiders [/b]that our friends in Vancouver, Mainframe Entertainment, put out.

So what about the rest of you guys?  Any childhood 'toons or recent faves stand out in your mind as noteworthy?

[b]Well besides everything you mentioned (which Batman by the way? If it's the older one that I'm thinking of, I really want to see that one again.)

As for me, I wouldn't mind seeing Gargoyles, Tail Spin, Chip & Dale Rescue Rangers and Darkwing Duck. All Disney cartoons actually, I think? (Wasn't Gargoyles on Disney? I thought it was.)

Those were all great cartoons in their own little way. I think I actually had a crush on Goliath for a little while. :sweatdrop: [/b]

Yes I love cartoons despite being as old as I am...haha.
My favorite toons are:
Doug
Hey Arnold
Rocket Power
Rugrats
Johnny Bravo
Ed, Edd, and Eddy
Super Secret Secret Squirrel
2 Stupid Dogs
Adventure Time

Pretty much all the old Nick and Cartoon Network Lineups before they got dumb. Adventure Time is the only show I keep up with today...its pretty good.
I have alot more where those came from but this is all I got for now. I gotta get the math outta here!!!!

I have a few cartoons I wish to get. At the top of the list is [b]X-Men: Animated Series[/b]. It was one of my all time favorite cartoons. I like [b]X-Men Evolution[/b] and [b]Wolverine and the X-men[/b] too. They are have good points to their series however you can't beat the original X-Men cartoon. Another Marvel based cartoon I like with [b]Spiderman: The Animated Series[/b]. It was interesting and kept you entertained. I also like the guest appearances of different heroes from other comics and shows. Everyone can probably guess what my favorite episodes are. [spoiler]Yes, the ones guest staring the X-Men.[/spoiler] I've also been watching[b] Gargoyles[/b] again. I had thought I had seen the whole series when I was young but now I'm not so sure. I have been seeing episodes I didn't even know existed. Edited by Cat

Yes, it was the older Batman series.  The newer one is being marketed as "season 4" but I've never actually seen any of it.  [b]Batman Beyond[/b] was pretty good though.  

And I can't believe I forgot about [b]Gargoyles[/b].  I loved that series (even though the whole Quarrymen storyline sorta lost me).  I'd also be interested in the [b]New Adventures of Johnny Quest[/b] and [b]Mighty Max[/b] now that I think about it.

A recent fave that I like is [i]Harvey Birdman, Attorney at Law.[/i] Some years ago, I happen to be flipping through channels at night, and I came across this odd little cartoon. I can't say I gave it a shot, since it took the first shot at me with its fast and furious jokes. I really liked its old school animation and characters, often recruting Hanna-Barbera cartoons and characters. Ah, such fun!

[color=indigo]Most of my favorite cartoons are not anime. Actually I would say that my liking of anime was simply and extension of my love for cartoons.

My favorite cartoon right now has to be [i]The Venture Brothers[/i]. Its animation is interesting, the plot is always great, there is a little violence, a lot of absurdity and it is flat out hilarious. I'm also a big fan of [i]The Boondocks[/i], even though this season wasn't quite as strong as the previous two. And, of course, you cannot forget [i]South Park[/i], which is easily the best written comedy on television.

Of course, I'm attracted to any television show that deals with supers, so I was obviously a big fan of [i]X-Men[/i], [i]Batman[/i], and [i]The Justice League[/i].

Another cartoon that I love, simply for its style and art, is [i]Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends[/i]. It is easily one of my favorite cartoons due to its visual appeal.
[/color] Edited by Heaven's Cloud

[quote name='CaNz' date='20 August 2010 - 03:24 PM' timestamp='1282332248' post='699649']
nothing beats Word Girl. I have watched almost every episode... and some of them multiple times.
if i ever have children that will be the show we watch.
[/quote]

lol Word Girl :D
i remember that ^^

oh yeah, and Arthur! i used to love that and Cyberchase <33

[color="#006400"][font="Arial"]Wow, this thread sort of takes me back, lol. I have thought about [b]Gargoyles[/b] in forever, even though I'm pretty sure I still have the movie on VHS somewhere. [b]Pirates of the Dark Water[/b] was awesome. I loved watching all the [b]Johnny Quest[/b] cartoons, even the old ones â?? if anything I liked watching the old ones better, but the New Adventures were great. [b]Rocky and Bullwinkle[/b]. The [b]Wacky Races[/b] cartoons were always fun to watch. When I was [i]really[/i] young I used to watch [b]Muppet Babies[/b] a lot, lol.

[b]Ren & Stimpy
Beavis & Butthead

Futurama
Venture Bros.[/b]

I really don't watch much of any TV anymore to know what the cartoon world is like now, but those were some of my favorites.

Oh and any cartoon featuring [b]Marvin the Martian[/b]. He was always a favorite of mine, lol.[/font][/color]

[quote name='PiroMunkie' date='21 August 2010 - 03:15 PM' timestamp='1282432518' post='699712']
[color="#006400"][font="Arial"]Wow, this thread sort of takes me back, lol. I have thought about [b]Gargoyles[/b] in forever, even though I'm pretty sure I still have the movie on VHS somewhere. [b]Pirates of the Dark Water[/b] was awesome. I loved watching all the [b]Johnny Quest[/b] cartoons, even the old ones â?? if anything I liked watching the old ones better, but the New Adventures were great. [b]Rocky and Bullwinkle[/b]. The [b]Wacky Races[/b] cartoons were always fun to watch. When I was [i]really[/i] young I used to watch [b]Muppet Babies[/b] a lot, lol.

[b]Ren & Stimpy
Beavis & Butthead

Futurama
Venture Bros.[/b]

I really don't watch much of any TV anymore to know what the cartoon world is like now, but those were some of my favorites.

Oh and any cartoon featuring [b]Marvin the Martian[/b]. He was always a favorite of mine, lol.[/font][/color]
[/quote]

Marvin the Martain was good. I liked him and Bugs Bunny. I saw probably every episode as a kid that those characters were involved in.

[quote name='chibi-master' date='21 August 2010 - 08:53 PM' timestamp='1282438388' post='699720']
[b][list]
[*]Invader Zim
[*]Animaniacs
[*]The Powerpuff Girls
[*]Johnny Bravo
[*]Dexter's Laboratory
[*]Darkwing Duck
[*]Pinky and the Brain
[*]The Wild Thornberrys
[/list][/b]

.....To name a few. I'll probably think of more later.
[/quote]
Dexter's Lab :D
oh how i loved that XDD
oh, uh, and Jay Jay The JetPlane ^^;;

[color="#9932CC"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]I'll tell ya one good cartoon I adored as a kid that's been shafted like you wouldn't believe -- [b]KaBlam![/b].

Awesome cartoon sketch show, with equally awesome shorts within. But I guess it didn't fare so well ratings-wise, though it did last a few seasons. But now, Nick seems to be pretending the show never existed, with one notorious example being a Thanksgiving break special they did a few years ago; they ran the first episode of every Nicktoon ever created -- even the rather notorious [b]Invader Zim [/b]-- but guess which one [i]didn't[/i] get its first episode shown? Yeah.

Anyway, two of the shorts on KaBlam even got their own standalone shows -- [b]Action League Now![/b] and [b]Angela Anaconda[/b]. The creator of another one of the shorts, [b]The OffBeats[/b], went on to make [b]Sheep in the Big City[/b] for Cartoon Network, which, funnily enough, was also a fairly short-lived cartoon, but also extremely awesome and hilarious in just about every way imaginable.

I was also a big fan of ABC's One Saturday Morning. Favorites on there included [b]Recess[/b], [b]Pepper Ann[/b], all the wacky little shorts they showed in between...I even liked the Disney version of [b]Doug[/b]. [Though I also loved the original Nick cartoon.]

Ah man, what else, what else...there's the famous stuff that people have already said, like [b]The Powerpuff Girls[/b], [b]Johnny Bravo[/b], [b]Dexter's Lab[/b], etc...I also liked [b]Cow and Chicken[/b] and [b]I.M. Weasel[/b]. I remember watching [b]The Adventures of Penelope Pitstop[/b] and [b]Wacky Races[/b] a lot, which was back when we first started getting Cartoon Network. [b]Tiny Toon Adventures[/b] was also awesome. And [b]Animaniacs[/b], though truth be told I don't remember it as well as the former. Oh, and [b]Pinky and the Brain[/b], which my mom liked as well. XD ....And [b]Magic School Bus[/b]...[b]Rugrats[/b]...[b]The Wild Thornberries[/b]...[b]Rocket Power[/b]...[b]Freakazoid[/b]...gah!

Okayokay, to finally finish my ramblings, I'll bring forth one that I am really disappointed that no one has mentioned yet -- [b]Teen Titans[/b]. Seriously, this was easily one of the best cartoons in the past decade. Loved it to death, and am sad it never got a sixth season. ;_;[/font][/color]

i agree with most of your choices to at least some extent, and whole heatedly in others, [spoiler]except for cow and chicken... that show was horrid in my opinion9/spoiler]
since we are doing comedies too... i would like to throw [b]home movies [/b]into the mix
that show had the best subtle humor around, and they did it without being vulgar, lots of violence, or extravagant characters. (many of them are crazy, but they all have a realistic nature)

[quote name='PiroMunkie' date='22 August 2010 - 04:51 PM' timestamp='1282510297' post='699741']
[color="#006400"][font="Arial"]I am not sure how I could have forgotten [b]The Magic School Bus[/b]! lol[/font][/color]
[/quote]
lol, me neither O_O
i loved that show <3
how about Recess?
it was great XD
and Dragon Tales <3

[font="Comic Sans MS"]Most of my favorites from the 90's and early 2000's have been covered, so I'll just list a few of my current favorites.

[b]Phineas and Ferb[/b]: its extremely safe premise does well to disguise its clever dialogue, catchy music and hilarious visual gags. Just check the thread I made for the show if you need more reasons to watch it.

[b]Chowder[/b]: Tends to delve into toilet humor a little more than I wish it would, but it's got some clever writing and a nice art style, as well as being extremely aware of the fourth wall.

[b]The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack[/b]: This show holds my attention less for its overall premise and more because it scares the living hell out of me. The art style lends itself to some extremely creepy images and some of the title character's seemingly innocent antics can be downright terrifying if you think too hard about them.

[b]Adventure Time[/b]: Second only to Phineas and Ferb, this show is basically the answer to the question "what would happen if someone took an episode of Futurama, turned Bender into a talking rubber dog and somehow convinced Cartoon Network that it's a kids' show?" The result is hilarious, clever, extremely bizarre and full of humor that would be completely inappropriate for children if it weren't for the fact that they totally don't get it anyway. The lessons make no sense, the characters are clinically insane, and the entire show is just a ton of fun from beginning to end. This show is totally math.[/font]

[quote name='CaNz' date='23 August 2010 - 06:34 AM' timestamp='1282559648' post='699758']
since we are doing comedies too... i would like to throw [b]home movies [/b]into the mix
that show had the best subtle humor around, and they did it without being vulgar, lots of violence, or extravagant characters. (many of them are crazy, but they all have a realistic nature)
[/quote]

[color=indigo][b]Home Movies[/b] was great. I also liked the similarly voice [b]Lucy, Daughter of the Devil[/b], but I was obviously in the minority on that one.

I actually watched [b]Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths[/b] tonight. I enjoyed it, though I don't know why Warner Brothers felt the need to farm out new voice actors for characters. Maybe they just couldn't get the original cast. When I think of Batman, I think of Kevin Conroy, so it is weird when someone else does his voice.[/color]

My thing with the DC movies is that they're expecting you to already know who these characters are. They don't give any background, and that's a bad thing if you don't follow the comics. Crisis and I believe it was Public Enemies had that effect on me, but I still enjoyed those movies though. Now I want to see Under the Red Hood.

Anyway, I'm looking at a lot of these cartoons that everyone have listed and I have to say that my taste is almost completely different compared to everyone else. I can't stand a lot of these series that were listed. But I won't dwell on that... It would be taxing if I listed every cartoon I like so I'll just list a few. (Darkwing Duck, Ducktales, and Animaniacs are still great, but Mighty Ducks gotta be tossed in there as well)

Justice League/Unlimited
Spectacular Spider-Man
Looney Tunes (Anything dealing with Bugs and Daffy)
X-Men Evolution
Gargoyles
The Batman

I pretty much like all DC cartoons that came out in the 90's. While I'll always remember X-Men and Spider-Man 90's hits I just can't say I like them anymore. Trying to watch them now is like a chore because of terrible voicework and action. They just don't age well. Spectacular Spider-Man, while it has some quirky artwork, and it definately took a long time for me to get into. The action made up for it big time. Looney Tunes (Looney Toons? It's been so long) will always have a place in my heart. If they put it back on right now I'd have it on my tv. I know some people have issues with the school settings with X-Men Evo but I didn't mind it. The character interaction was the main attraction for me. And honestly, I didn't even know about a shipping fanbase (which I don't support at all). Heck, I didn't find out about a shipping until recently thanks to the internet... (I'm starting to regret ever getting involved with message boards now lol) And then people also had issues with The Batman, but I'm an action man and I liked it. I don't think I need to talk about Avatar.

And just for old times I'll throw a mention to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles because I grew up on them. That was my addiction. I collected the toys.. I probably still have those things in a box somewhere in the attic.

[quote name='Beretta' date='24 August 2010 - 06:43 AM' timestamp='1282646626' post='699790']
My thing with the DC movies is that they're expecting you to already know who these characters are. They don't give any background, and that's a bad thing if you don't follow the comics. Crisis and I believe it was Public Enemies had that effect on me, but I still enjoyed those movies though. Now I want to see Under the Red Hood.
[/quote]

[color=indigo][b]Under the Red Hood[/b] was really good. I rented it tonight (RedBox you are so irresistible sometimes!) and I was happy that I wasted time watching it as opposed to doing the work that I desperately needed to get done. No Mark Hammil though, which is always disappointing...he is the best Joker.[/color]

[quote name='Heaven's Cloud' date='25 August 2010 - 11:26 PM' timestamp='1282793202' post='699852']
[color=indigo][b]Under the Red Hood[/b] was really good. I rented it tonight (RedBox you are so irresistible sometimes!) and I was happy that I wasted time watching it as opposed to doing the work that I desperately needed to get done. No Mark Hammil though, which is always disappointing...he is the best Joker.[/color]
[/quote]

I really want to see it considering it looks like its the darkest cartoon DC's done so far. I've been getting some mixed opinions, but it's been mainly the hardcores that've been having the issues. "shrugs".. (glad I pay no attention to them) I have it on my list of movies to rent at Blockbuster, but the stingy people keep renting and keeping the movie for long periods..