OtakuBoards

What are your thoughts on what happened?

Darkness

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Cera [/i]
[B][FONT=century gothic]Going back to Farhenheit 451--the extreme irony of that is the fact it has been censored and banned itself. People just don't get it.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again:
If you are an adult and do not know the difference between fantasy and reality, then you are a moron.
If your children do not know the difference between fiction and reality, then [i]you have failed as a parent.[/i]

Tell me what you think of this book:

It centers around the actions of two sexually active teenagers. The girl is much younger than the boy. The entire book is full of coarse language and sexual innuendoes. It follows the story of this couple, and how they see each other despite being strictly forbidden to do so by their parents. People are killed, murdered, and take their lives in suicide.

Should it be banned?

Have you read it?

Chances are, you've heard of it. If you've read it, then you know what I'm talking about.

I'll give you a hint.

The kids names are [i]Romeo and Juliet[/i]

-Cera[/FONT] [/B][/QUOTE]

Hey Cera, I was thinking about writing a letter to the paper, you mind if I use your example? You're at the same place that I'm at, but I really don't think I can get the point across any better than that.

[B][FONT=century gothic]
It centers around the actions of two sexually active teenagers. The girl is much younger than the boy. The entire book is full of coarse language and sexual innuendoes. It follows the story of this couple, and how they see each other despite being strictly forbidden to do so by their parents. People are killed, murdered, and take their lives in suicide.

Should it be banned?

Have you read it?

Chances are, you've heard of it. If you've read it, then you know what I'm talking about.

I'll give you a hint.

[color=deeppink]Excellent, Cera ;)

I have a good quote from one of my literary friends:

[quote]"Shakespear is way overeducated in schools."[/quote]

Not that it has my relevance to your Romeo and Juliet analogy, but yeah, I agree...

So anyway, I agree with what you have said. They figure that since Romeo and Juliet doesn't come out and use modern day words and language that we don't understand or find it as offensive...

...stupid Shakespear...

the only good thing he's written is [i]Hamlet[/i]...[/color]

[B][FONT=century gothic]Going back to Farhenheit 451--the extreme irony of that is the fact it has been censored and banned itself. People just don't get it.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again:
If you are an adult and do not know the difference between fantasy and reality, then you are a moron.
If your children do not know the difference between fiction and reality, then [i]you have failed as a parent.[/i]

Tell me what you think of this book:

Should it be banned?

Have you read it?

I'll give you a hint.

[color=indigo]HAH! That's funny!
I took a class on Shakespeare last semester, and you know what? Most of his plays are like the TV sitcoms that we have today. Just goes to show that entertainment wasn't any better back then, than it is now.
The [I]really[/I] funny thing is, is that my mom won't let me read Harry Potter (not that I'd want to anyway) but I was REQUIRED to read Romeo & Juliet.
I also think it's really funny that most fantasy books have stuff that's "worse" than Harry Potter books, yet most of those aren't considered bad.[/color]

every time i hear of book burning i think of that scene in Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade where hitler is burning all the books and he signed Indiana's God book. book burning always makes me think of hitler. :mad: :mad:

*shakes head*............................

gah.........

WHEN will these intellectually-challenged BAFOONS understand that the only way to be harmed by a book is to READ IT! (and, please,... what actual harm [besides addiction :D] can HP and SW do?!)

Okay let's use an example: Say there's a book....... um, "500 Ways to Be a Successful Murderer". Yeah, the content of the book is more than likely kind of bad o_O but it's NOT GOING TO EVEN FRIGGIN AFFECT ME if I DON'T READ IT. Duh. If I feel the need to burn it, then that means that I'm weak inside, and unless I destroy it completely, I'll give into wicked temptation, read it and become a murderer and KILL YOU ALL mwahahaha................... whatever :rolleyes:

Seriously though, burning books only means that you don't have the will to resist, the cowards. It's up to the people what THEY read..... you can't control someone who isn't in a prison b/c of free agency and something called the First Amendment. And if they wanna read it, bloody let them read it! It'll be their 'problem' if they burn in heck (yeah right........). *sigh* idiocy is running awfully rampant......

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Son Goten [/i]
[B]every time i hear of book burning i think of that scene in Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade where hitler is burning all the books and he signed Indiana's God book. book burning always makes me think of hitler. :mad: :mad: [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=deeppink]:rotflmao: Funny how I imagined the same thing...! That has to be one of the greatest scenes in all three Indiana Jones movies, the part where Indiana hands Hitler his father's diary thinking he wants it...and Hitler merely [i]autographs[/i] it...talk about irony. It's great :p[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Darkness [/i]
[B]The other day I reading my university's paper, and I saw the story on the recent book burning. For those who don't know; a church (the name I don't remember) held a public book burning of Harry Potter and Star Wars books. This kinda thing sickens me, and all amendments aside, I can't condone this in any way. In my eyes, the preacher and his members were no better than tyrants in this act, regardless of their purpose. I usually don't knock how other people practice their religion or what not, and I don't collect HP or SW books, but this can't be right.

Only goes to show:

There is no good or evil, only ideals.

What do you think? [/B][/QUOTE]

where did this happen? you'd think with all the changes in the world today there wouldn't been as much ignorant folks but it goes to show that change takes a LOT of time and there are some who are stuck in there ways even though they fight the times.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by july [/i]
[B]

where did this happen? you'd think with all the changes in the world today there wouldn't been as much ignorant folks but it goes to show that change takes a LOT of time and there are some who are stuck in there ways even though they fight the times. [/B][/QUOTE]

Why would you burn a book?

1/ Your ruining the enviroment.
2/ You've just ruined good paper made from good trees.
3/ People might start to think there's a conspiracy to stop people obtaining knowledge from books, for it might be "Sinful".

Damn, religious fanatics make me sick to my stomach

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by stardust [/i]
[B]
now,how can a book,think for a minute,a BOOK, be evil?? [/B][/QUOTE]

..if they are written by an evil person, for an evil purpose.. then by logical reasoning the book is evil.... however this does not apply in this case...

I don't particularly like Harry Potter... but I cannot justify the burning of books, because that is my opinion...

though i disagree with the 'no good or evil' part... I just think there are other factors...

intelligence
stupidity
open-mindedness
unwillingness to accept new ideas- does anyone know this word?

[color=crimson]I do see this from your guys' points, but you do have to think of what kind of church group that has been burning those books. Not all churches are like that, so dont go thinking that if one church does that, all of them do. It was probably some extremist church that is very strict with their beliefs, kinda like the puritans back in the 1600s. My church, a Southern Baptist church has no say in what its members or other Christians do with their leisure reading; its all up to their own discretion. If they think it is secular, they just dont read it. They leave it up to the individual. I think thats what all churches should do, but most aren't as liberal as mine. :rolleyes: [/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Baby Kiwi [/i]
[B][color=crimson]I do see this from your guys' points, but you do have to think of what kind of church group that has been burning those books. Not all churches are like that, so dont go thinking that if one church does that, all of them do. It was probably some extremist church that is very strict with their beliefs, kinda like the puritans back in the 1600s. My church, a Southern Baptist church has no say in what its members or other Christians do with their leisure reading; its all up to their own discretion. If they think it is secular, they just dont read it. They leave it up to the individual. I think thats what all churches should do, but most aren't as liberal as mine. :rolleyes: [/color] [/B][/QUOTE]
I think that most of them are fairly lenient on things that would have been considered secular 100 years ago. I'm not religous myself, but I have been to several churches before, only one one of which was extremist. I already mentioned that one. So, no, people shouldn't get the idea that ALL churches are like that, just because a select few are.

-Justin

[B][color=crimson]I do see this from your guys' points, but you do have to think of what kind of church group that has been burning those books. Not all churches are like that, so dont go thinking that if one church does that, all of them do. It was probably some extremist church that is very strict with their beliefs, kinda like the puritans back in the 1600s. My church, a Southern Baptist church has no say in what its members or other Christians do with their leisure reading; its all up to their own discretion. If they think it is secular, they just dont read it. They leave it up to the individual. I think thats what all churches should do, but most aren't as liberal as mine. :rolleyes: [/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

I don't think any of us are equating all churches with this one church, we're just talking about churches that take up these actions. I, like most others here, don't stereotype.

Oh, and I don't mean that good and evil are totally non-existant; just that what we think is wrong is right to others and vice versa. Like, when hitler attacked the Jewish, we all feel that it was an act of pure "evil", but from his side, he was doing something "good". In most cases, it's all about ideals, or if you prefer, "a difference of opinion".

I don't think anyone was intentionally trying to say that all churches are bad... the problem is, some of them are... it's like wars... two whole countries fight because a few people in charge don't like each other, but the majority population is innocent. It's stupid. I prefer to think of the bad churches as extremist churches that seek to control. At the end of the day.. control is what religion USED to be about (see, I said USED TO BE, tbut things have changed since, well, 500 odd years ago)

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Deus_Ex_Machina [/i]
[B]

I don't think anyone was intentionally trying to say that all churches are bad... the problem is, some of them are... it's like wars... two whole countries fight because a few people in charge don't like each other, but the majority population is innocent. It's stupid. I prefer to think of the bad churches as extremist churches that seek to control. At the end of the day.. control is what religion USED to be about (see, I said USED TO BE, tbut things have changed since, well, 500 odd years ago) [/B][/QUOTE]

Exactly. The only people I said burned books where the fanatics who think that witches should still be burned at the stake!

No, but really, I disagree that they seek to control in some aspects. They seek to control some parts of your life in the past, but they could not control it all. However, they tried their utmost. Anybody who argued was branded a heretic, and either burned, or was with (I think) Galileo, they would be under house arrest until the end of their days. They controlled information. After that, by keeping people ignorant, they would come back to the church, and not question it, as they did in the Reformation.