OtakuBoards

What are your thoughts on what happened?

Darkness

The other day I reading my university's paper, and I saw the story on the recent book burning. For those who don't know; a church (the name I don't remember) held a public book burning of Harry Potter and Star Wars books. This kinda thing sickens me, and all amendments aside, I can't condone this in any way. In my eyes, the preacher and his members were no better than tyrants in this act, regardless of their purpose. I usually don't knock how other people practice their religion or what not, and I don't collect HP or SW books, but this can't be right.

Only goes to show:

There is no good or evil, only ideals.

What do you think?

geese,if I hear another person say hp is devil possesed I'm gonna.......

Now come on,I mean,they say whichcraft and junk is devil made,but it's not even real!This is a book,it's not gonna turn you into a devil worshipper......

My friend isn't aloud to read them,cause her parents think it's wrong

now,how can a book,think for a minute,a BOOK, be evil??

First it was Harry Potter, and now Star Wars is in it too?! :rolleyes: Well I personally think that it's just stupid to think that it's devil possessed and evil and all that, because some author just made it up for [u]kids[/u]. So, I honestly can't see how it's bad.

Well, I'll only join in if we get to burn down cities:D

I can understand them burning HP books, i mean, their crazy idiots who need to see a shrink, i'm seeing a very good one right now. But why burn SW books? They have nothing to do with magic or anything, more like telekonisis or whatever you call it. I mean, come on, SW kicks! Harry is ok, but not as good as SW, SW IS DA SHIZNEZ!!!!

I didn't know anything about that :worried: but it's wrong and stupid.

Books can be dangerous, I agree with that. It's not the books themselves, but the contents in them. I can understand a group of people wishing all books on satanism to be burned....but actually if you think about it, that's destroying culture and basically throws people into the dark about what it's all about, and it wont stop everyone from wishes to study or practise it. (I'm not into satanism I was just using it as an example)

Now story books, I mean books that were written PURELY for ENTERTAINMENT...well why should they be burned. You might disagree with idea's the author has, or you might just not enjoy the stories...but why go to such a rush and irrational act like that? The only thing you gain from burning story books is an expensive pile of ash which makes people mad with you. Think about it. Trees where cut down for the paper..money was used for everything from the machines that cut down the trees, to the ink on the pages, to the van driver delivering the books to shops, to the people that bought them.

I just don't understand it personally. These people should be expecting alot of trouble from annoyed fans pretty soon. Come on, star wars is practically a classic now! :(

I think there is good and evil...but the way you interpret it is what matters. When a Church or group goes to the extent of mass burnings...there's gotta be something wrong with that. It would be pointless buring HP and SW books because there's probably many other books with similar concepts. If they're trying to prove a point...they've proven it the wrong way.

I don't care much more those people who are over-religious and do everthing for the sake of their religion. There can be evil in all types of books but it's bad only if you choose to accept it. Harry Potter or Star Wars should not be banned and it disgusts me to see the books burned. Think of all the paper/ trees their wasting!

Reasons for Burning Harry Potter Books:None. Why? It's a freaking kid, learning magic from FICTIONAL pople in a FICTIONAL reality! Sure, Harry Potter is dying from public over-dose, but I don't really know how a kid learning magic makes kids run of to do devil worship! Obviously, Catholic Extremists are on a different page than 99.9% of the general public. It still dosen't make scence...Hitler burned books....Are they trying to tell us something?

Reasons for Burning Star Wars:Absolutly nothing! Star Wars books are again, fictional, and based on one of the greatest films of our time. Okay, so mabey a race of powerful Jedi Knights, who can read minds, and preform miracles set them off a bit....So mabey the Emperor is a sort of take on the devil. No one else seems to care. Movies and books are made to entertain. Only when a movie purposly puts devil-worship into it's contents do the public get upset. And those books rarely make it into publication, thanks to cencorship. After all, Star Wars is a great film, good acting(well, Mark Hamill's acting in flims 4+5 was bad) And special effects, for that time, was great. Extremists didn't do anything then? Why now? Because mabey they can't get thier hands on the film? Who knows...?

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Darkness [/i]
[B]The other day I reading my university's paper, and I saw the story on the recent book burning. For those who don't know; a church (the name I don't remember) held a public book burning of Harry Potter and Star Wars books. This kinda thing sickens me, and all amendments aside, I can't condone this in any way. In my eyes, the preacher and his members were no better than tyrants in this act, regardless of their purpose. I usually don't knock how other people practice their religion or what not, and I don't collect HP or SW books, but this can't be right.

Only goes to show:

There is no good or evil, only ideals.

What do you think? [/B][/QUOTE]

[size=1]Yet another example of religion screwing with people's heads. :rolleyes:

Burning books...could they get anymore middle ages? lol.

What are they going to do next? Have witch trials?

I don't think anymore needs to be said...if anyone can't find the sheer stupidity in this situation, then they're an idiot plain and simple. lol[/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by James [/i]
[B]

[size=1]Yet another example of religion screwing with people's heads. :rolleyes:

I don't think anymore needs to be said...if anyone can't find the sheer stupidity in this situation, then they're an idiot plain and simple. lol[/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

lololololololololololololololololololol,yeah,that's how I see it,I mean,burn a book?it really is pointless,they belive the book turns people evil,I mean,I respect peoples beliefs,but it is quite sad

[B]

I don't think anymore needs to be said...if anyone can't find the sheer stupidity in this situation, then they're an idiot plain and simple. lol[/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1]Exactly,There is nothing else to be said![/SIZE]

[color=indigo] Those religious fanatics do the darndest things don't they. Well, Velevet Paws said earlier "Books Can Be Dangerous." The only way a book is dangerous is if it is heavy and falls on you from a tremendous height. It isn't the books that are dangerous, it is the people who form moronic ideas after reading a book that are dangerous. The problem is that some people can't think for themselves responsibly.[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Heaven's Cloud [/i]
[B][color=indigo] Those religious fanatics do the darndest things don't they. Well, Velevet Paws said earlier "Books Can Be Dangerous." The only way a book is dangerous is if it is heavy and falls on you from a tremendous height. It isn't the books that are dangerous, it is the people who form moronic ideas after reading a book that are dangerous. The problem is that some people can't think for themselves responsibly.[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

[size=1]I agree -- it's not so much the books which are dangerous, it's more the statements which they are making. And even then, an educated person is able to discern what is true and what is false. Or in this case, what is moral and immoral.

Harry Potter is pure fiction...but moreover, the story teaches about friendship and caring for others...as well as tolerance (the whole wizard/muggle thing).

I think that the HP books are actually just what kids need -- something light-hearted and fun...which also teaches some good morals and life stories.[/size]

[SIZE=1]This is similar to the book "Farenheit 451" by Ray Bradbury. It touches on the subject of books being dangerous and if burning them is "immoral."

I believe that a religon has the right to decide what the followers of that certain religon can and cannot read. But when people burn books to show their disapproval of that literature all they are doing is trying to force their beliefs on others, which is very, very wrong![/SIZE]

I just don't understand why any religion would burn books at all...especially HP and SW. First of all, there are so many books out there that are violent and deal with sorcery to an unbelievable extent...and some of them are children's books.
Harry Potter and Star Wars serve no purpose other than to enlighten and entertain the readers and to gain their interest. They don't teach them how to build weapons or fly a bloody broom stick. Books increase people's creativity and expand their thoughts.
It is only the deranged individual who already has psychotic and violent tendencies that would find books useful for creating violence.

Burning books achieves nothing. There are millions of other books out there and there is also Television that depicts violence too. And there is really nothing any Church can do about that

[B]

Witch trails, i should think about that!!!!

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Majora's Mask [/i]
[B]Reasons for Burning Star Wars:Absolutly nothing! Star Wars books are again, fictional, and based on one of the greatest films of our time. Okay, so mabey a race of powerful Jedi Knights, who can read minds, and preform miracles set them off a bit....So mabey the Emperor is a sort of take on the devil. No one else seems to care. [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=deeppink]What the frock?! (frock being an alternate to the f-word...)

Going off of what Majora has already said, yes, Star Wars indeed holds many resemblences to the story of Jesus and the Bible and blah blah blah. It's freaking stupid that they'd take the bad things and call it a horrible story when, [i]hello idiotic church people[/i], one of the main purposes of the Star Wars story is to uplift everything that is good!

Evil is shunned, battled in an extremely honorly (is that a word?) way, and overcome in the end. Yes, Star Wars tells tales of the evil Emperor (woo, almost typed "Senator"...) Palpatine, but honestly, the Bible discusses satan and all of his "evil"...!

Maybe they don't like the whole prophecy of "the chosen one" (Anakin) turning into someone evil (even though he redeems himself at the end of Episode IV) since Jesus, being "the real-life chosen one" would in fact never do that.

But, gah, I just don't get it :drunk:

If they are so dense and thickheaded and closed minded and pigheaded that they can't see Star Wars is a story of good overcoming all evil...then they're stupid, and that's all there is to it :rolleyes:

Whew, got a bit worked up, I did. I just need to support the Star Wars that I love so dearly...[/color]

What in the blue h-e-double hockey sticks is wrong with those people?!!! My mom is very religous and when she found out that my cousin was reading hp, she took the book from him and ripped every page!!!! She's so stupid!!! I beleive in witchcraft and i am friends of wiccans. i don't condone them on their situation but the fact is....hp books are lame!!! They suck to me! and i'm happy they are burning the book...but Star Wars is going too far! I love Star Wars. What's wrong with it? Stupid hypocritics!!! :mad:

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Panny Chan ;) [/i]
[B]What in the blue h-e-double hockey sticks is wrong with those people?!!! My mom is very religous and when she found out that my cousin was reading hp, she took the book from him and ripped every page!!!! She's so stupid!!! I beleive in witchcraft and i am friends of wiccans. i don't condone them on their situation but the fact is....hp books are lame!!! They suck to me! and i'm happy they are burning the book...but Star Wars is going too far! I love Star Wars. What's wrong with it? Stupid hypocritics!!! :mad: [/B][/QUOTE]

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!U KNOW HOW MUCH THAT BOOK MUST'VE COST!Lol,j/k,but first our parents tell kids to read,then when we finally find a book we like,particular;y a long one like harry potter,they tell us not to!?!?!?That drives me nuts,and I agree,since when was star wars pulled into this?I've been a die hard star wars fan 4 years!

Once again, the stupidity and arrogance of the human condition fails to surprise me. Something similar to that happened here. A church's(which my cousin attended) youth pastor set up a CD/Tape/Video/Book/etc. burning event about a year ago. Now, my cousin just happens to be one of those people who believes that if it is condoned by her church it MUST be right. Having said that, she took $185 worth of things to that bon-fire and burned them. I did nothing but roll my eyes at her. It also happens that she has no common sense in any other area either, so I wasn't very surprised at all. I think that people who are stupid enough to do WHATEVER someone else says is right are very niave. If everyone did it the way that was "right", where the hell would we be today?

-Justin

[FONT=century gothic]Going back to Farhenheit 451--the extreme irony of that is the fact it has been censored and banned itself. People just don't get it.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again:
If you are an adult and do not know the difference between fantasy and reality, then you are a moron.
If your children do not know the difference between fiction and reality, then [i]you have failed as a parent.[/i]

Tell me what you think of this book:

It centers around the actions of two sexually active teenagers. The girl is much younger than the boy. The entire book is full of coarse language and sexual innuendoes. It follows the story of this couple, and how they see each other despite being strictly forbidden to do so by their parents. People are killed, murdered, and take their lives in suicide.

Should it be banned?

Have you read it?

Chances are, you've heard of it. If you've read it, then you know what I'm talking about.

I'll give you a hint.

The kids names are [i]Romeo and Juliet[/i]

-Cera[/FONT]