OtakuBoards

Zelda Screenshot

Gr3ymalkin

Before you go to see this shot, prepare yourself for extreme disappointment.

[url]http://media.cloudchaser.com/nintendo/events/sw2k1/zelda.jpg[/url]

I was looking forward to this cel-shading thing, thinking it would be like the characters at the last Spaceworld but more anime like. Instead we get something that looks like a 3D version of the NES Zelda, and the most kid friendly one yet. I'm extremely sad if these are the real shots.

I dunno...this design is starting to grow on me.

I'm going to have to wait until I can get my hands on some direct-feed hi-res screenshots and movies.

This design looks very much like the original Zelda 1 on NES...but in 3D. It's certainly very artistic looking, like Jet Set Radio on Dreamcast.

Personally, I like it. It reminds me of the Zelda cartoon lol. I think that the game itself is going to be a lot of fun, Miyamoto has never failed when it comes to delivering awesome game design...and I'm sure that this Zelda will be no different.

It's kind of ironic tho, Mario Sunshine looks a little more grown up...and Zelda is more kiddie...it's kind of like the reverse :)

by the way, reports from people who actually saw The Legend of Zelda at Space World say that the game features "stunningly realistic animation" and "blows the rest of the GAMECUBE games out of the water visually".

Interesting.

The early shots have shocked everyone...but I can't wait to see how it looks when moving...

Oh, I thought I'd add another footnote, as to what Tendobox have said (they were at the show floor and saw Zelda live).

Apparently, Shigeru Miyamoto didn't want anyone to take pictures of the game because he felt that they would be misunderstood.

He said that the only way to truly convey the style of the game is to see it moving. Those who saw it moving said that yes, the visual style is quite shocking at first, but at the end, everyone cheered and clapped.

The game literally looked like a cartoon...with the most flawless levels of animation ever seen in a video game.

After reading more reports of people who actually saw the game in action...and considering that Zelda got a standing applause...I think it's safe to say that a few screenshots don't do justice to it :)

You all gotta go to [URL=http://www.tendobox.com]Tendobox[/URL] to read the impressions. Trust me, don't worry about this game...I know that you'll love it when you see it moving and when you actually play it ;)

I've been talking to a few people about this game and I've warmed up to it already...The video shot down any bad feelings I had toward this game. It seems to take the best from the Link to the Past and throw in a little of the N64 Zelda. Reminds me of the Powerpuff Girls lol. Looks nice though :).

Just saw IGN's video of the game. It looks REALLY fun and the graphics are outstanding. Mario looks really good too.

I think my favorite scene in the video is when Link is approaching the tree stump - it was at that moment when I was like 'THIS is a Zelda game, this could work really well'.

-Adam
theOtaku.com

I'm still in shock. I'm going to have to give this a couple of days to sink in. I'm sure I'll eventually grow to except this new look, but worry I'll always have thoughts of what could have been in the back of my mind. Only time will tell.

I dunno, this game went from hugely disappointing to having tons of potential very quickly. I mean it's very Japanese, but I doubt many people mind that. It also looks like the fights will be pretty crazy. The best thing was that this video was so obviously in-game and it just looks so smooth and rounded.

I agree with most of what's been said here.

For those of us who weren't in diapers when the first Zelda was launched, we can all remember the original style.

It was all about a young elfin boy who was exploring huge, scary forests and giant gloomy castles. This new Zelda game really captures the essence of what that's all about...

Personally, I admit, I was quite shocked when I first saw this game.

However, I am starting to understand it. I applaud Miyamoto for having the balls to actually go and change something, and take the series in a fresh new direction.

Regardless of how this game looks, I [i]know[/i] that it'll play wonderfully.

Has Miyamoto ever let us down? No.

Simple as that :)

[QUOTE]I agree with most of what's been said here.

For those of us who weren't in diapers when the first Zelda was launched, we can all remember the original style.

It was all about a young elfin boy who was exploring huge, scary forests and giant gloomy castles. This new Zelda game really captures the essence of what that's all about...

Personally, I admit, I was quite shocked when I first saw this game.

However, I am starting to understand it. I applaud Miyamoto for having the balls to actually go and change something, and take the series in a fresh new direction.

Regardless of how this game looks, I know that it'll play wonderfully.

Has Miyamoto ever let us down? No.

Simple as that [/QUOTE]

lol... i was in diapers when it came out and i still rember it. Just havent played. lol. actually i saw my cousin and uncle play it when i was still a kid. if i rember right it looks like a link to the past cept not so detailed. Dosent look anything like the second one thought right? dang i have a hard time rembering it. But i heard they where going to remake the first one on the gameboy but the idea was scraped cause the whole rooms couldnt fit on the screan. Maybe they will make it on gba and the rooms would fit. But i dont think they plan on doing that.

I think that Miyamoto is thinking of everyone, including us who don't like the new design. I have a feeling that he will do something like making 2 versions, each with a diferent game style. I mean, it's over a year away, and NGC is very easy to program. I'll just cross my fingers.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Smoky Joe [/i]
[B]I think that Miyamoto is thinking of everyone, including us who don't like the new design. I have a feeling that he will do something like making 2 versions, each with a diferent game style. I mean, it's over a year away, and NGC is very easy to program. I'll just cross my fingers. [/B][/QUOTE]

I seriously doubt that EAD is developing two versions of Zelda, just to please those who don't like the new visual style.

I think that the new visual style will set in -- if you don't like it now, by the time you play the game, I think you'll like it.

Change of any kind always takes a little time to set in, people need to get used to it.

However, I doubt that all new Zelda games will look like this. I think that Zelda will continue to change and evolve over the next few years.

But I personally can't wait for this game. It looks like a lot of fun. :)

According to Nintendojo there were two versions being made at once, but Miyamoto ultimately decided on the cartoon one. I suppose if it flops they would go to the mature version right away, but I think we all know that won't happen. Even if some people are turned off by it, an almost equal amount will be interested in it just because of the new look...I think it would do even better this way.
And I think that even though it's more of a cartoon style that doesn't mean it can't still be as dark as Majora. Afterall, the same guy who did the story for Majora is doing the story for the GC game, and I believe that's the first to actually deal with any sort of death. I'm not saying blood and guts...but maybe some more serious themes and some genuine character interaction. Have to wait and see though.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by James [/i]
[B]

I seriously doubt that EAD is developing two versions of Zelda, just to please those who don't like the new visual style.

I think that the new visual style will set in -- if you don't like it now, by the time you play the game, I think you'll like it.
Change of any kind always takes a little time to set in, people need to get used to it.
However, I doubt that all new Zelda games will look like this. I think that Zelda will continue to change and evolve over the next few years.
But I personally can't wait for this game. It looks like a lot of fun. :) [/B][/QUOTE]

I can't believe it! I just can't! I am actually beginning to like him! Why, Lord why! Tell me why! Why do I like a highly animated South Park refugee? Darn him! He's just like anchovies, he grows on you!

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by KoTR121986 [/i]
[B]I think its gonna fail, or atleast i hope. it looks to "kiddie" to me and i have played all the zelda's except the NES and the 2 new one for Game boy color. We'll just have to wait and hope. [/B][/QUOTE]

Umm...that's a pretty stupid statement right there. The design is very similar to A Link to the Past on SNES...but in 3D. It's no more "kiddie" than the SNES or GB incarnations.

So basically you [i]hope[/i] it's going to fail because it looks too "kiddie"?

I can't believe it. Talk about a fairweather Zelda fan. I think you need to go back and play those other Zelda games again...and learn what Zelda is all about. Look past the graphics and look at the sheer fun that it provided.

Maybe then you can come back and make a relevant comment :)

[QUOTE] Originally posted by James:
Umm...that's a pretty stupid statement right there. The design is very similar to A Link to the Past on SNES...but in 3D. It's no more "kiddie" than the SNES or GB incarnations.

So basically you hope it's going to fail because it looks too "kiddie"?

I can't believe it. Talk about a fairweather Zelda fan. I think you need to go back and play those other Zelda games again...and learn what Zelda is all about. Look past the graphics and look at the sheer fun that it provided.

Maybe then you can come back and make a relevant comment:)[/QUOTE]

I agree. When i fist saw the pic i thought it looked like a 3d Link to the Past. Then i thought that the ones on the 64 looked a lot better. Then i thought some more to which zelda game was my favorite, and it was a close battle between mm and link to the past. So then i pulled my snes and games out of my closet. And i started to play link to the past and decided that it was the best one ive ever played, but it was the first one ive ever played too, and i think it was the first imperson that made me change my mind and say that the new one is going to be very good :D