Jump to content
OtakuBoards

Gaming The History of The Great Mario


Zero-Sama
 Share

Recommended Posts

[COLOR=blue]1981:The legend is born.[/COLOR]

Mario's big hit was his staring role in Donkey Kong.Until this,Nintendo hadn't been the major multi-million dollor corperation that it is today.Though Mario was originaly supposed to be named Jumpman But a Ninteno of America executive remarked that he looked like the landlord of they're office,Mario Sengali.


[COLOR=blue]1983:He ain't heavy,he's my Brother![/COLOR]

Mario's second adventure,The only thing that makes this game something to remember is that this is Mario's brother Luigi's first to the gaming industry.


[COLOR=blue]1985:The Breakthrough.[/COLOR]

Super Mario Bros. was released with the Nintendo Entertainment System,Was easily the most well known game of it's time.it was the first side-Scrolling game ever to be made,And turned Nintendo Of America into one of the best known videogame industries of it's time.


[COLOR=blue]1988:A Sequel,But one that sucks.....[/COLOR]


Possably Nintendo's worst idea ever,They took a Japanese Game,Doki Doki Panic,And changed the charecters to Mario themed ones!This is a very cheap game.

Also,This year in hisrtory,Mario was double packaged as a cereal with a Zelda themed Cereal.

[color=indigo]The first issue of Nintendo Power is published, and features Super Mario Bros. 2 on the cover. - jcgoudy[/color]


[COLOR=blue]1989:Getting Small with TV.[/COLOR]

Mario's game,Super Mario Land,Was released with the new gaming system The Game Boy.

Also,Mario shows up on television with The Super Mario Super Show.This show featured small skits with Nintendo characters like mario and company,Zelda and link,And others.


[COLOR=blue]1990:The Masterpiece[/COLOR]

Just as the wave of the Nintendo games were ending,Nintendo released the best game yet,Super Mario Brothers 3.With new animal suits with specail ability's,This game had more challange than any other.


[COLOR=blue]1991:The Next Level.[/COLOR]

After falling behind Sega and it's successful Genesis system,Nintendo Release Super Mario World with it's Super Ninteno Entertainment System,Which featured one of the most famous side kicks ever created in a game,That lovable little green dinosaur,Yoshi.


[color=seagreen]1992: A New Enemy.[/color]

[color=indigo]Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins is released for the Game Boy. This was the first game to feature Wario.

Super Mario Kart is also released this year, and it's the first of its kind. Featuring a cast of characters from the Mario games, you race in go karts... While blasting away at your opponents with Koopa Shells, slipping them up with Banana Peels, and hindering them in other fun and destructing ways. - jcgoudy[/color]


[COLOR=blue]1993: Hollywood[/COLOR]

This year,The movie Super Mario Bros. was released into the theaters,And it got only 1 reward.It got "The worst movie of 1993." award......

[color=indigo]Super Mario All-Stars was also released in 1993 for the SNES, and included remakes of Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, and 3. It also included the Japanese version of Super Mario Bros. 2, which was the first time that it was available in the US. - jcgoudy[/color]


[color=seagreen]1995: How It All Began.[/color]

[color=indigo]Yoshi's Island: Super Mario World 2 is released, but this time you control Yoshis, not Mario or Luigi. Mario is just a baby in this game, and he and Luigi were being carried to their parents by a stork. Things didn't go as planned, though, and Mario fell onto Yoshi's Island while Luigi ended up getting captured. The Yoshis find Mario and they set off, carrying Mario on their backs, to rescue Luigi. - jcgoudy.[/color]


[COLOR=blue]1996:Playing a New Role[/COLOR]

Nintendo of America had talked to Square Soft about a Role playing game,And the By product is the visualy stunning Game Super Mario RPG:Legend of the Seven Stars.


[COLOR=blue]1996:A whole New World.[/COLOR]

With the Release of the Nintendo 64,Nintendo released the game Super Mario 64,Which was the very first game to get away from the classic side scrolling style,And went to a 3D,Explore everything style game.


[color=seagreen]2000: A Diet Gone Wrong.[/color]

[color=indigo]Paper Mario, another RPG staring Mario, is released. It features some of the weirdest graphics ever. The characters are paper cut-outs, while the landscape is 3D. - jcgoudy[/color]


[color=seagreen]2001: What, Again?[/color]

[color=indigo]Super Mario Advance is released along side the Game Boy Advance, the first Mario game on the GBA. While not an original Mario game, it's a remake of Super Mario Bros. 2. Even though this is the third time it's been released/remade, it still does very well. It also includes a remake of the old Mario Bros. arcade game, and features four player cooperative play, plus a battle mode. - jcgoudy[/color]


[COLOR=blue]2002:The Return?[/COLOR]

many Gamers where surprized to say the least when the nintendo Gamecube wasn't released with a direct mario tilte on it's launching day.But do not fret,For Mario Sunshine is to be released later this year,And from the screen shot(See attatchment) it is the most visualy stunning game yet.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You know, it's pretty funny to realize that Mario and I are the same age. Nonetheless, Mario'll probably be around longer.:smirk:

I guess it's just a coincidence that 1981 was the year, that two legends were born. On one hand you have the mushroom eating plumber and on the other you have the Godfather of Gaming. Go figure.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Crazy White Boy [/i]
[B]

I guess it's just a coincidence that 1981 was the year, that two legends were born. On one hand you have the mushroom eating plumber and on the other you have the Godfather of Gaming. Go figure. [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=royalblue]Yes, Mario is definitely the Godfather of Gaming.

:laugh: :drunk: :excited: :worried: :D [/color]
Link to comment
Share on other sites

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Crazy White Boy [/i]
[B]You know, it's pretty funny to realize that Mario and I are the same age. Nonetheless, Mario'll probably be around longer.:smirk:

I guess it's just a coincidence that 1981 was the year, that two legends were born. On one hand you have the mushroom eating plumber and on the other you have the Godfather of Gaming. Go figure. [/B][/QUOTE]

Darn,You are just one old man,You Mushroom Eating Plumber!:excited: :drunk:
Link to comment
Share on other sites

[SIZE=1][FONT=century gothic][COLOR=crimson]ur older than me o_o and u like the x-box that is ODD... lol...

anyway u forgot a few games :( baby mario, and then some remakes, go karts, tennis, golf, wario land..............[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
Link to comment
Share on other sites

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Zero-Sama [/i]
[B]

Darn,You are just one old man,You Mushroom Eating Plumber!:excited: :drunk: [/B][/QUOTE]

You know, I'm gonna have to beat James down with a wrench for starting this epidemic. Anyway, yeah Mario and I are a couple of twenty year old guys that should cash in our social security checks. That outline was pretty cool though.

Super Mario Bros worst movie of 1993? What a travesty. That movie rocked....and hard. The film was a brilliant visionary masterpiece.

I still have fond memories of the Super Mario Bros. Super Show too. They made Link a little horn dog though. Every episode, he tried to get a kiss from the princess. I don't think he ever did though.

Is the 1988 sequel that sucks, the Mario 2 that was ported to GameBoy Advace? That game's a blast.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Crazy White Boy [/i]
[B] Is the 1988 sequel that sucks, the Mario 2 that was ported to GameBoy Advace? That game's a blast. [/B][/QUOTE]

Yes it is the same game that was origin from NES that ported over to the GBA.I agree that Mario 2 is an great game, picking up all sorts of things and throwing them at badguys to badguys is is one heck of a fun.:)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Crazy White Boy [/i]
[B]You know, it's pretty funny to realize that Mario and I are the same age. Nonetheless, Mario'll probably be around longer.:smirk:

I guess it's just a coincidence that 1981 was the year, that two legends were born. On one hand you have the mushroom eating plumber and on the other you have the Godfather of Gaming. Go figure. [/B][/QUOTE]

3 legends actually, I was also born in 1981 :smirk:
Link to comment
Share on other sites

[color=indigo]There, I added some. :) If you want information on the older games (pre-Paper Mario), go [URL=http://www.videogames.com/features/universal/mario/]here[/URL]. It has lots of information on the games that are actual Mario games, plus games that have cameo appearances.

I was born in 1988, the year that Zelda II: The Adventure of Link and Super Mario Bros. 2 came out... Both are considered the worst in both series, by most people... :( .....On the plus side, that's the year that the first issue of Nintendo Power was published![/color]
Link to comment
Share on other sites

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by jcgoudy [/i]
[B][color=indigo]I was born in 1988, the year that Zelda II: The Adventure of Link and Super Mario Bros. 2 came out... [/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

[size=1]Goudy was born in 88? That is when my little brother was born. I can't imagine someone who knows so much about gaming to be so young... it just boggles my little brain.

I personally liked Mario 2, but maybe I am the only one. Birdo was the coolest![/size]
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Solid Snake
[COLOR=teal]Ah, the great memories of Mario through the ages. Unfortunately for me, nothing at all happened with Mario on the year I was born, though I'm going to have to let you guess exactly what year that was, heh. As for the Super Mario Bros. 2 controversy, I can honestly say that it was one of my favorite Mario games three years ago. Now that I have been exposed to so many other Mario games, I have found that it had weaker gameplay that wasn't very fun when I played the port for GameBoy Advance. This is just my opinion, however, and others may find it great. On another topic, I do hope that Mario Sunshine will be released soon, hopefully by August. They have produced great Marios throughout the years, and it would be ashame for the fun to end now.[/COLOR]

:blah:
Link to comment
Share on other sites

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Shyguy [/i]
[B]

[size=1]Goudy was born in 88? That is when my little brother was born. I can't imagine someone who knows so much about gaming to be so young... it just boggles my little brain.

I personally liked Mario 2, but maybe I am the only one. Birdo was the coolest![/size] [/B][/QUOTE]
[color=indigo]What can I say? I've studied long and hard, LOL! :smirk:

I really wish I was old enough to know what was going on during the great console war between the Super NES and the Genesis, though... I had no idea... Now I can just read about it, and remember watching my brothers play old NES and SNES games, from that time. I would have loved it, had I been a little older.
At least my brother's NES still (kind of) worked by the time I started playing video games (it had a coke spilled on it, among many other things). I still got to play Super Mario Bros. 1 and 3 (and later SMB2, over at a friends house), and other games. Plus SNES games, such as Super Mario World, Zelda: A Link to the Past (love at first play ;) ), Super Mario Kart, Super Metroid, and others. The Super NES remains to this day my favorite console.
When one of my older brothers moved out, he gave me a big stack of old issues of Nintendo Power; so I got to read all about what was happening during the days of the NES. I still enjoy getting them out and reading them every now and then. :)

I do consider SMB2 and Zelda II the worst games in the series, but that doesn't mean I don't love them! :D I loved playing Super Mario Advance, having never really played SMB2 that much, but I just like the other Mario and Zelda games more. Super Mario World is my favorite (I've beaten and done everything in it in around 7-8 times, on the SNES and GBA).[/color]
Link to comment
Share on other sites

[color=green]The Mario Series were on the NES?! :eek: Whoa, I only thought they started on the SNES.... :drunk: Mario seems to be Nintendo's mascot though, so I can't see any reason why they [i]wouldn't[/i] continue making games to do with Mario....[/color]
Link to comment
Share on other sites

[color=indigo]Mario actually started out in the arcade, in the game Donkey Kong. He was named Jumpman, though, but then Nintendo changed his name. The first actual Mario game is Mario Bros. which was also an arcade game. Then it got ported to a bunch of early systems, like the Atari; it also got ported to the NES, after it came out.[/color]
Link to comment
Share on other sites

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by jcgoudy [/i]
[B][color=indigo]Neither are NES games... But they still remade Super Mario Bros. 2, and are going to remake Super Mario Bros. 3...

I don't know if there are going to be any remakes of Megadrive games, or not. I haven't heard about any, but there could be.[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1][FONT=century gothic][COLOR=crimson]i thought the NES had mario bros 2 and mario bros 3, the 'super' didnt come out till the SNES which is why they called it Super Mario Bros for the first one on that system? i could be wrong since it has been years since i played them on the original system.[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
Link to comment
Share on other sites

[color=indigo]I moved some posts from [URL=http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?threadid=9475]this thread[/URL] to here, because they go better in this topic.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mario Bros. is an old arcade game that got ported to a bunch of early consoles, before the NES came out. It's the multi-player game in Super Mario Advance 1 and 2.

Shortly after the NES came out, Super Mario Bros. was released. It was remade as Super Mario Bros. Deluxe, on the GBC.

Super Mario Bros. 2, for the NES, came out in 1988, and has now been remade as Super Mario Advance on the GBA. The GBA remake also includes Mario Bros.

Mario Bros. appeared in Super Mario Bros. 3, with extra levels. The goal remained the same, though; you wanted to collect as many coins as you could, as fast as you could.

Super Mario World is the Mario game on the Super NES, which was released at the same time as the system. It's been remade as Super Mario World: Super Mario Advance 2. The GBA remake also includes Mario Bros., and is compatible with the first Super Mario Advance for multi-player.[/color]
Link to comment
Share on other sites

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by jcgoudy [/i]
[B][color=indigo]Mario actually started out in the arcade, in the game Donkey Kong. He was named Jumpman, though, but then Nintendo changed his name. The first actual Mario game is Mario Bros. which was also an arcade game. Then it got ported to a bunch of early systems, like the Atari; it also got ported to the NES, after it came out.[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]
[color=green]Jumpman! I have a game of that on PC! :D I can see that during the years of producing the new systems, Jumpman has become to be a great character, and very populer....

And who would've thought he'd appear in Donkey Kong?! That just adds to more surprisement for me, just by looking at what he is now....[/color]
Link to comment
Share on other sites

[color=indigo]Jumpman, on the PC!? What's the game called? It couldn't have been made by Nintendo, since they don't make PC games... Who's it made by?


A few things about the Donkey Kong arcade game:

Jumpman is a carpenter, not a plumber.

Jumpman has a mustache and a hat, because they were easier to draw than a nose and hair. They didn't have much space on those old arcade games, so they had to keep the characters simple.

Donkey Kong was named "donkey" because he was supposed to be kind of stupid, like a donkey.[/color]
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You know, come to think of it, that timeline is missing Mario's appearance as a referee in the greatest boxing game of all time, Punch Out. Oh well, I guess it doesn't really count, as he was basically a guest character. I sure would like to see him return to the ring though.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Solid Snake
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by jcgoudy [/i]
[B][color=indigo]Jumpman, on the PC!? What's the game called? It couldn't have been made by Nintendo, since they don't make PC games... Who's it made by?


A few things about the Donkey Kong arcade game:

Jumpman is a carpenter, not a plumber.

Jumpman has a mustache and a hat, because they were easier to draw than a nose and hair. They didn't have much space on those old arcade games, so they had to keep the characters simple.

Donkey Kong was named "donkey" because he was supposed to be kind of stupid, like a donkey.[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]
[color=teal]Ah, great times. However, this was merely the first game that Mario appeared in. Although it may seem that Mario, or Jumpman as referred to in the game, was the main character who was saving Peach, the game will be forever known as the first Donkey Kong game, so technically, we have gone a bit off-topic. We could say that it sort of introduced both characters in a way though, but with different names than their future titles. I found the game very enjoyable, which I currently play on Donkey Kong 64 as a mini-game.

Crazy White Boy, you are right in thinking that the timeline has forgotten a few things, but keep in mind that it is only portraying the most important aspects of Mario throughout the ages. I, for one, would not count Punch Out as one of those important events, especailly for the fact that he does not play a major role, with him just being the referee.[/color]

:blah:
Link to comment
Share on other sites

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Solid Snake [/i]
[B]
[color=teal]

Crazy White Boy, you are right in thinking that the timeline has forgotten a few things, but keep in mind that it is only portraying the most important aspects of Mario throughout the ages. I, for one, would not count Punch Out as one of those important events, especailly for the fact that he does not play a major role, with him just being the referee.[/color]

:blah: [/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's just that Punch Out has a "special" place in my Nintendo memories. Who was there to count Mike Tyson and Mr. Dream down for the ten when I floored their respective butts for the first time? Why, it was my favorite fictitious plumber.

I do see where you're coming from though. But, by the same token, I wouldn't consider the Mario Bros. movie very important. Let's just forget that sucker. Blech, I had to take a bath after watching that one.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Solid Snake [/i]
[B]
[color=teal]Ah, great times. However, this was merely the first game that Mario appeared in. Although it may seem that Mario, or Jumpman as referred to in the game, was the main character who was saving Peach, the game will be forever known as the first Donkey Kong game, so technically, we have gone a bit off-topic. We could say that it sort of introduced both characters in a way though, but with different names than their future titles. I found the game very enjoyable, which I currently play on Donkey Kong 64 as a mini-game.[/B][/QUOTE][/color]
[color=indigo]No, I don't think talking about the Donkey Kong arcade game is off-topic at all. After all, the topic is The [b]History[/b] of The Great Mario... And Donkey Kong is where Mario first started out, even if he was named Jumpman at the time.

If you wanted to include every game that Mario has made a cameo appearence in, that list would be [i]really[/i] long. There've been [b]tons[/b] for the NES and Super NES.

I think the Super Mario Bros. Movie was fairly important, even if it did kind of stink... I think it may have been the first movie based on a video game, but I'm not quite sure.
You know, I think I'll rent it and have my friends over to watch it... I don't think any of them have seen it before, so I'll get a fresh point of view. That, and I saw it when I was pretty young, so I don't remember too much of it; I'd kind of like to see it again.[/color]
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...