OtakuBoards

PS2 Revolution?

Sephiroth

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by shibatku [/i]
[B]The PS2 has good graphics and can play dvd's but it should have some more add-ons like The Mp3 idea or stuff like that you can use a mouse on the PS2 for designing on Armored Core 2. [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=crimson][size=1]Yes, and they should include the ability to microwave food, walk your pet, perform open heart surgery and fix those annoys leaks on the roof of your house.

The more features you add, the more you dilute the machine.

Sony has paid a big price for adding the DVD movie functionality -- their games now compete with DVD movies. So essentially, their own products are open to strong competition from outside areas of the industry.

This is something Sony didn't anticipate (which I find quite stupid).[/color][/size]

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol, James. Whats the world of video games coming to any more? The nes still has some of the best games: ff, dragon warrior, Guardian Ledgend, and so many more. Do these games stack up to NOW? no they dont but the itself is what counts, not the graphics, sound or anything. Many people still say that when the NES was new, well that to many people consider that the golden age of video games. The same thing with ps2. It shouldnt be the graphics sound. I mean Orphen took me 6 hours to beat, ZOE took me an afternoon, and if mgs2 is going to be as long as 1st one, than the world will have alot of fun playing for the short time itll take them to beat it. I personally think that the quality of video games are rapidly declining. :babble: :sleep:

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Cloud Strife00 [/i]
[B]lol, James. Whats the world of video games coming to any more? The nes still has some of the best games: ff, dragon warrior, Guardian Ledgend, and so many more. Do these games stack up to NOW? no they dont but the itself is what counts, not the graphics, sound or anything. Many people still say that when the NES was new, well that to many people consider that the golden age of video games. The same thing with ps2. It shouldnt be the graphics sound. I mean Orphen took me 6 hours to beat, ZOE took me an afternoon, and if mgs2 is going to be as long as 1st one, than the world will have alot of fun playing for the short time itll take them to beat it. I personally think that the quality of video games are rapidly declining. :babble: :sleep: [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=crimson][size=1]I agree and disagree here.

On the one hand, we have a situation where true game makers are being forced out of the market by corporations who aren't intersted in the games, but who are interested in the money (Sony and Microsoft namely).

The problem with this, is that both companies aren't interested in making innovative games just for the sake of pleasing their customers.

They are interested in making visually appealing games with a very short play time. Sony recently sent out a memo to its developers saying basically "We would like you to spend more time on graphics than on gameplay, so that we may compete with GameCube and Xbox".

What the hell is that? That is an example of a company who has no idea.

I think it sucks that Sega, the second most accomplished game maker in the universe (after Nintendo), has been forced from the market by Sony/MS. Sure, some of that was Sega's own fault, but I hate the fact that the slack-jawed majority of the gaming populace was unable to recognize what Sega was offering -- some of the world's most innovative and fun video games.

This is surely a disturbing trend, however, that is why I have such strong support right now for Nintendo. Shigeru Miyamoto has expressed his discontent with the current state of gaming, and he acknowledges that things need to change.

That is why we are seeing games like Pikmin coming from Nintendo. Miyamoto doesn't want to follow the pack -- he wants to define new types of gaming fun. And I fully support him on that move.

Sony is impoving, it is starting to finally develop its own video games and thus, is starting to understand how gaming works.

But both Sony and MS have a long way to go, particularly Microsoft.

Anyway...I think that some games today are miles better than the games of the past, but many games are far too shallow and superficial to be considered truly great games. I truly hope, for the sake of the gamers, that more companies start to adopt Nintendo's philosophy of creating new ideas.[/color][/size]

[SIZE=3][FONT=century gothic][COLOR=crimson]i agree in part w/ you there james...
i mean the games are to short the storylines waver a lot and well im not into grapics that much... i think FF 1 is still the best game ever... and i havent played that in ages... that game was HARD... i mean if i told you a boss had 2000 hit points you would think he would be a boss that came before the intro to the game would u not? i do believe that is what the final boss of FF had or something around there... i dont think julius even had that much (FF Adv. for those of you GBless people) i mean... lucky 7's to me means... 777 not 7777 lol... i can see it now... FF 12 999999 HP lol
i mean... yea that dont matter much but the 2000 HP was HARD to do where as i was a walk in the park...

i think they need to make current styles of games HARDER for the oldshcool gamers like me... i think they should MAKE a new game and use crap graphics and a long game... like i dont know 150 hours? that would be awesome to me... can u imagine that? i mean there are people who would do that... i for one would if they had a GOOD story the entire way threw... and oh yea that 150 hours... was not counting the side quests... than can only be completed AFTER you beat the game... not to help you beat it... and oh yea... maybe a 'no-gameshark' thing too... u know make it a REAL game not some sissy's im too chicken to play game...

i mean i think new games are cool too... pokemon is cool till the got the cartoon and americanized it... now it is based for kids... where as blue/red were based for young adults... i think it woulda been awesome to make a game like that back in the day... now that the internet is here... games are too ez i think... i hate reading walkthrews and crap on games... i dont know what im saying... but games should go back to how they were... back on SNES or NES... i dont know about 64... a lot seemed short to me... i know that the originals were short too but they took longer to beat... FF 9 u can do in 15 hours ez... where as CT took me 20 the first time threw... so i dont know... i just think quality of work not quantity of graphics[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by kuja [/i]
[B][SIZE=3][FONT=century gothic][COLOR=crimson]i just think quality of work not quantity of graphics[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE] [/B][/QUOTE]
[color=crimson][size=1]Yep, and that is Nintendo's motto. :)[/color][/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by kuja [/i]
[B][SIZE=3][FONT=century gothic][COLOR=crimson]i hate reading walkthrews and crap on games... i dont know what im saying... but games should go back to how they were... back on SNES or NES... i dont know about 64... a lot seemed short to me... i know that the originals were short too but they took longer to beat... FF 9 u can do in 15 hours ez... where as CT took me 20 the first time threw... so i dont know... i just think quality of work not quantity of graphics[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE] [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=crimson][size=1]Well um...you don't [b]have[/b] to read walkthroughs online and stuff.

If you want to make it harder for yourself, you should stay away from that stuff.

There are plenty of new games which are tough without walkthroughs. Games like Silent Hill, for example. Silent Hill wasn't very long in terms of hours, but it had some challenging puzzles. With no walkthrough or outside help, games such as Silent Hill can keep you going for quite a while.

Also, I am finding Gran Turismo 3 to be a great value game. It's incredibly long, and there are lots of different challenges. I'm really enjoying it -- you should get it if you want a challenge.

Some games are just too short -- Metal Gear Solid and Jet Set Radio being two good examples. I loved both games to death, and the amount of challenge was totally fine...but if both games had been say...twice as long, they'd have been perfect.

[/color][/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by RicoTranzrig [/i]
[B]Yup...the one I'm mainly looking for is *drum roll* the Final Fantasy series back on Nintendo. If they pull that off, there's no doubt I'll be waiting in line in the middle of the night for a GC. [/B][/QUOTE]

It has been confirmed that FFX is a PS2 exclusive. FF XI will be on X-Box(maybe), PC, and PS2. FFXII is only for PS2. Gamecube has a 1.5 Gigabytes storage in it's mini CD's, that is one 1/6th of what A normal DVD ROM can hold, that is why Gamecube won't get ANY Final Fantasy games.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by _Shiro Amada_ [/i]
[B]

It has been confirmed that FFX is a PS2 exclusive. FF XI will be on X-Box(maybe), PC, and PS2. FFXII is only for PS2. Gamecube has a 1.5 Gigabytes storage in it's mini CD's, that is one 1/6th of what A normal DVD ROM can hold, that is why Gamecube won't get ANY Final Fantasy games. [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=crimson][size=1]Actually, FFXI could very well be appearing on all next generation game systems with an Internet connection (that means, PS2, Xbox and GameCube).

Infact, Hironobu Sakaguchi stated a few months back "We are determined to have a Final Fantasy game on a Nintendo console".

You pointed out the lack of memory on the GameCube discs, but don't be fooled. The beauty of the discs is that they are dirt cheap to manufacture. This means that a company can have two or three or four...or however many discs they need.

So I wouldn't rule out a FF game on GCN. But I would suggest that it's more likely we'll see the series appear on GBA in the future.

But in the distant future...I think Square will move the series back to GameCube, or at least, GameCube and PS2[/color][/size]

Well stated James, Sakaguchi-San did mention putting the final fantasy series on a Ninetendo system. What he meant was that there will be Final Fantasy ports to the Gameboy Advance, Final Fantasy 1, 3/6, and 5 wil be ported. Final Fantasy XI can be run on multiple of nintendo's mini optical discs. But, Gamecube doesn't have the processing power to run the game at optimal speed. Gamcube runs at 485 MHz, X Box and Playstation 2 run at 700/733 MHz. Squaresoft would have to go through hell, to make FF XI run at such low processing power, and Final Fantasy XI is already in the works. And it needs to run at a estimated 600 MHz.
And if processing wasn't the problem then, it would be the discs, there would have to be a lot of compressing and editing to put a one or two DVD game into 4-5 mini-optical discs. Yet again Nintendo screws itself over by trying to be different.

ps2 has gotten just about as far as they can go (mebbe a little farther) in gaming grafix. i wanna see next a good VR system that u can buy, that is a vest, and helmet, so u can see evrything in surround and feel the hits - with the really good grafix. thatll probably as close to real life that u can get.

Guest Valkryie
GEt music, animated cursors, movies, and wallpapers of you're favorite final fantasies 7-10 right now, and here at [url]www.animetheme.com[/url] :love:

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Valkryie [/i]
[B]GEt music, animated cursors, movies, and wallpapers of you're favorite final fantasies 7-10 right now, and here at [url]www.animetheme.com[/url] :love: [/B][/QUOTE]

why the hell do you keep doing this? its off-topic and its irritating

• 2 weeks later...