OtakuBoards

PS2 Revolution?

Sephiroth

ok, now everyone knows that the playstation revolutionised the gaming industry as we know it, but what is your opinion on the PS2? I doubt it will revolutionise the industry as its predecessor did, but maybe in the future when better games are released, something might happen....

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[color=blue]I think that the PS2 will probably have the highest sales of any console, and the unit itself will be home to many awesome games no doubt.

I think that the original PlayStation helped to open up the industry. And I think that the introduction of three major game machines could give the industry as a whole another big boost.

Either that, or a major collapse lol. So let's hope for the former. :)[/color]

[size=3][color=crimson]i think that once everyone starts making the jump to the new systems and we see better games come out... that the ps2 and gcn will be awesome systems that will blow our mind in graphics... i hope that storylines and controls follow... and maybe even speed of loading[/color][/size]

[color=indigo]Yeah, I thought it was interesting what Nintendo said recently about GameCube.

They were asked a question where the reporter said something like "Are you concerned about the apparent lack of third party software right now?"

And the reponse was actually very reasonable when you think of it. It was like "This is like a battle. We launch the machine with mostly our software in order to establish the console and boost initial sales and then we call in allies for backup as the war progresses".

I think that it's a good strategy, one which a lot of people miss. Initially, Nintendo will want a LOT of its own games, in order to get as many consoles out there as possible. When enough consoles are out there, you'll see greater and greater third party support.

In any event, it's certainly interesting. Although we're seeing similar third party support to GameCube as we're seeing for Xbox right now. So I personally don't see a big problem.[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by RicoTranzrig [/i]
[B]With the GC's ability to be developer friendly, it'll probably gain lots of support from past companies that worked on the SNES. [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=indigo]I agree. I think we'll see a lot of older developers returning. In particular, Capcom.

They did support N64 a little, but not much. However, they said early this year that [i]all[/i] their major franchises would hit GameCube in the future.

So hopefully that means Resident Evil (as we already know), Mega Man, Street Fighter, Onimusha, Dino Crisis, Power Stone...the list goes on. [/color]

[B]Yup...the one I'm mainly looking for is *drum roll* the Final Fantasy series back on Nintendo. If they pull that off, there's no doubt I'll be waiting in line in the middle of the night for a GC. [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=indigo]Yeah, I think that there is a pretty good chance of seeing Final Fantasy XI on GameCube, and possibly Xbox for that matter.

Whereas XII is not online as far as I know, so I think that if Square has a good experience with the GCN version of FFXI, then they'll certainly continue the series on that platform.[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by James [/i]
[B]

[color=indigo]I agree. I think we'll see a lot of older developers returning. In particular, Capcom.

They did support N64 a little, but not much. However, they said early this year that [i]all[/i] their major franchises would hit GameCube in the future.

So hopefully that means Resident Evil (as we already know), Mega Man, Street Fighter, Onimusha, Dino Crisis, Power Stone...the list goes on. [/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

[COLOR=blue]Yeah i noticed somthing about Camcom i got one of the new Zelda games for my GBA and Nintendos name and Capcoms name come up. It would be cool seeing capcom and square making games for the gcn. It would rule then...[/COLOR]

Guest firemac
I don't care if FF goes back to Nintendo, but as long as it still sales on Sony, becaus eif it don;t I'm going to get very angry I want FF to stay on Sony consoles,oh yeah according to PSM magazine the best playstation magazine out there says that sonmy is already working on PS3, of course ,the progress is going to be slow but they are still working on it, and they say they are trying to get to PS9 you the fake one they used to promote PS2 commercial

[size=3][color=crimson][font=centruy gothic]square and nintendo... there is a little bad blood there cause of nintendo not going to CD's on 64... so i dont think either company wants to work w/ the other, plus nintendo at the moment is still the "kidde" system till they can prove that they are a lot more mature than they have been... they lost a lot of respect w/ the pokemon series, thou if they wouldnt have geared it at kids it woulda been a better selling game... but then they are looking to the future arent they?[/font][/color][/size]

Guest firemac
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Sephiroth [/i]
[B]the problem with cartridges is they greatly reduce space for making games, and it costs a hell of a lot to make cg sequences on them too, it was because of these reasons that square decided not to make ff7 on the n64 and so switched to sony.... [/B][/QUOTE]
Is that why I always find N64 games so short, I usually beat the games with ease and usually beat them on rent

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by firemac [/i]
[B]
Is that why I always find N64 games so short, I usually beat the games with ease and usually beat them on rent [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=blue][b]Cartridges don't really have much to do with the physical length of a game. A game's length can be determined by any number of things, whether it be the fact that the game is just plain long...and takes ages to watch/play, whether it's very difficult or whether there are lots of bonus objectives/side quests.

It depends what game you're playing. I mean, Super Mario 64 is a relatively short game, whereas Resident Evil 2 on N64 is quite a long one.

In the early days of the N64's life, cartridges did place a large barrier when it comes to CG movies and such. But Capcom proved that cartridges are a viable entertainment media beyond any doubt with their faithful conversion of Resident Evil 2.

So it really depends on your perception. The biggest problem with carts was their high cost.[/color][/b]

[B]The problem with placing mass amounts of space in the cartrige is that...there's a strange load time to it (mainly concentrating on RE2). Legend of Zelda: OOT proves that CG cutscenes aren't really neccesary to make a good game. In-game ones will do just as fine. [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=indigo][b]I agree with you. CG cutscenes can be nice (FF for example), but they aren't tottally necessary for a good game.

Just look at Zelda, Metal Gear Solid and others...these games had cool stories and great gameplay without requiring CG scenes.[/color][/b]

Guest firemac
Super Mario 64 was short I beat on rent, and Ocarina of Time, I beat that pretty quick also, but it is the longest game i have seen on N64

[size=3][color=crimson][font=centruy gothic]as nice as zelda would be on PSX... dont count on it... it is like mario a nintendo only game made first party so it will be almost impossible to see on PS2[/font][/color][/size]