OtakuBoards

Bad modem! Bad! *thwacks computer* oopsie. .

liamc2

I am sure many of you have suffered this problem at some point or another. I am referring to 'rural' connections. ie, having a really good 56k modem that runs at 32k because of your 'rural' connection, that really is only rural because you live in a suburb 15 minutes from town.

HOW WACKED OUT IS THAT????

*cough* excuse the caps, I had to get that out of my system. The only reason why I am very, very annoyed is that a friend in town with a 56k modem, with the aid of the same download program I have, downloaded 100mb in 1 hour.

Now, is that fair? I think not. And before you start saying 'its probably that you have a weird modem,' 'its your computer,' or 'he must just have a good computer.' I rebuke you, it is because of our 'rural' connection, and I say rural because that is what my suburb is referred as.

Because we are rural, that means that the telstra big bosses (phone company) probably believe that our area is all paddocks and scrubland, so what do cows and farmers need good internet connections for?

So that means that the highfields/crows nest section of the phone network recieves a crappy connection to the internet, good phone connection, but bad internet one.

*sigh* do you have that problem? *apologies if my post is murky, brain is frizzled :drunk:*

Yeah, it's the same with my modem. If you lived in town, you'd get a way better connection, though since you're out of town, the phone lines probably aren't as well looked after as like the ones in town.

And usually the council comes up with some stupid excuse to cover up, when you ask them what's the problem with them... ;)

[color=royalblue]Usually, the main issue is that being in a rural area, the phonelines are worse quality than those in metropolitan areas.

My modem is very fickle; sometimes it will go incredibly fast (14kb per second download) and sometimes it will go amazingly slow (500bytes per second download) -_-

So for me, it's a gamble whenever I connect lol.

But usually, if it's slow...I just have to reconnect a few times and that seems to get it going. :drunk: [/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by James [/i]
[B][color=royalblue]Usually, the main issue is that being in a rural area, the phonelines are worse quality than those in metropolitan areas.

My modem is very fickle; sometimes it will go incredibly fast (14kb per second download) and sometimes it will go amazingly slow (500bytes per second download) -_-

So for me, it's a gamble whenever I connect lol.

But usually, if it's slow...I just have to reconnect a few times and that seems to get it going. :drunk: [/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

Aye, ye speaks much truth, Mister James. Same thing happens to me...

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by BabyGirl [/i]
[B][color=deeppink]Nobody should be complaining...our phone line only supports 28K...so quiet, all of you! :p[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=red][b]Well, I have a 56k modem but it only connects at 28 k because the phone company f**ked up our phone line. I used to get 56k connections, now i get 28 on a good day. usually 21 or less. I am sad. :( :( [/b][/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by BabyGirl [/i]
[B][color=deeppink]Nobody should be complaining...our phone line only supports 28K...so quiet, all of you! :p[/color] [/B][/QUOTE][COLOR=orangered][FONT=century gothic]I hear ya. ;) We only just got a faster one a little while ago... Our old one didn't even make 28.8. >_<[/FONT][/COLOR]

Muwahahahahahaha I have a........... Cable Modem! Yay :D ! Just got it last week, downloads an avarage about 250-400Kb per second, but it only goes that fast on a great sever with lots of bandwidth though. Muwahahahahahahahaha:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Well after reading some of your replies I feel much better. .and worse somehow o.O'

I would write a formal complaint to telstra about it, but why would they listen to a 15 year old?

------

I suppose cost is a big thing aswell, see in the area where I live, we have a very fast underground phone and electricity connections. But, these underground lines connect to above ground 80 yr old ones which are very slow and almost always cause a blackout in a thunderstorm:rolleyes:

bleh, so to cut back on costs they just put metal braces on the 80 year old wooden rotten ones, and gradually replace the ones that are beyond a quick fix.

------------

Now lets say I get Broadban, very tasty prospect in my point of view. $26 a month, unlimited access, very fast and tasty. But, in almost all plans I've seen, you have to pay $1 for every megabyte downlaoded.

But downloading, as I said before, is the only reason why I want broadban :drunk:

In one week I download letsay. .10mb, that is $10

So $10 a week, multiplied by the 4 week average for a month leaves $40, plus the $26 I still have to pay

If you think this is wacked out, you should see some of the moblie phone plans:cross:

Ya, 56k's and less do pretty much suck. I got tired of them and I now have a cable modem. Jeeze I can download like 100 mb in a few minutes depending on the host. Once you get one, you'll never go back.

[color=indigo]When we got DSL, the phone company (Pacific Bell) actually came out and inspected the phone lines (which were from the 60s) to see if they would support DSL. They wouldn't, so they replaced them! For free!

My point is, you should call your phone company up, and tell them about it going really slow. They might just do something about it, you never know.
Or, e-mail them. Then, if they don't do anything, call them. Then, if they don't respond to that, actually go to the office and complain. The trick to getting things like this done is to complain until they do something about it, it seems like, LOL.[/color]

Some reason I do not think you can download a 100 mb in 1 hour on a Dail Up. It may be possible but I know for a fact that you cant even get the maximum 56 k connect spped no matter how good your line. Fastest every reached on a 56k modem by the Guys at TechTV (aka Computer Sages) was 42k, and that was only once. Even then you dont download no where near as fast as you connect. Also just cause it says you connect at 32k or whatever, it alway changes and usually drops well below what you connect at. I usually connect at 32k and get at max, 8 kb a second. I have never had a download accelerator help any either. It may add 1kb but thats it. If what you say is true please tell me where to get this software, I want to test it.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Amphion [/i]
[B]Some reason I do not think you can download a 100 mb in 1 hour on a Dail Up. It may be possible but I know for a fact that you cant even get the maximum 56 k connect spped no matter how good your line. Fastest every reached on a 56k modem by the Guys at TechTV (aka Computer Sages) was 42k, and that was only once. Even then you dont download no where near as fast as you connect. Also just cause it says you connect at 32k or whatever, it alway changes and usually drops well below what you connect at. I usually connect at 32k and get at max, 8 kb a second. I have never had a download accelerator help any either. It may add 1kb but thats it. If what you say is true please tell me where to get this software, I want to test it. [/B][/QUOTE]

bleh, I talked to my friend again, it turns out he used get right to download it, but it had lots and lots of alternate places to download.

See getright downloads faster because it finds other places that have the same download, and downloads from them. So if you are downloading from 20 differant locations, all loading to the same file, naturally it would go faster.

Besides, he told me he lied about the 56k :whoops: he has a 112k . . :drunk:

*snickers* yeah i have unlimited internet axcess cable tv with over 500 channels and cable phone so i can go online and talk at the same time! i got all this from eastlink only $99 a month :):) but yes it has a super fast connection and i live outside the city so yeah i'm happy!
~GG~

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by liamc2 [/i]
[B]

bleh, I talked to my friend again, it turns out he used get right to download it, but it had lots and lots of alternate places to download.

See getright downloads faster because it finds other places that have the same download, and downloads from them. So if you are downloading from 20 differant locations, all loading to the same file, naturally it would go faster.

Besides, he told me he lied about the 56k :whoops: he has a 112k . . :drunk: [/B][/QUOTE]

Oh, I kinda got excited there for a minute. I thought their might be hope for my 56k dinosaur after all. Oh well. Ill just leave it connected over night downloading those huge programs f of Kazza.

Heh..... Liam, don't sweat it....... I have AOL DSL, and it's about as fast as a 56K on shrooms....o.o;;;

But Explorer works like a crackhead on speed...O____o

Weird, ain't it? So, eheh......Buck up Liam. things could be worse. There could be NO OB to go to when you finally get online..*dies at the thought*