OtakuBoards

Hollow Moon

Dragon Warrior

If you like scary stuff, this is for you. It's a chapter book so I'll be posting everything in chapters. The story takes place in 1880 around the time Sleepy Hollow took place. Evil witch craft brews at this time. But my story is of... a werewolf.

A doctor just moves there from his old home far off in England to live in this remote town in the middle of nowhere. It doesn't seem like a good idea. But does he know about the werewolf? Nooo... Well, ever since he moved there, from the very first day, we hears nothing, but stories and rumors of this werewolf.

He decides it's just a myth or even an urban legend. And if it was real, he wouldn't live here for another minute. So, after deciding all this, we tends to his patients for a few weeks after moving. Certain ones that have been injured stay in his hospise for safe keeping.

About the 5th week into the time he moved to Fangsill, patients come in to his hospice with strange markings. They are terrified and speechless. They can't tell what happened and no one witnessed what happened. Rumors immediately spred around that the werewolf has struck Fangsill. If this is true, what will become of poor Dr. White?

My story is not of what it seems. It is not a blessing and not a curse. It is not as believable as it is real. My father died from a disease unknown to anyone. The doctors couldn?t stop it from killing him. I, being a doctor myself, tried to help him, but failed as well. I hate myself for that. It wasn?t meant to be. Therefore, I found myself on the brink of suicide. My father was my only friend and family member left alive. That same thought that drove me to close suicide brought me out of it just as fast. I thought of how I must keep the family going.

Weeks later after my fathers death, I received a letter addressed to Mr. Rider White. It was printed by the good people at the Murphy Morgue. They said they found my father?s will and decided to give to me what my father left. His summer home far off in the North. It was placed into what is now Fangsill. It had been there 30 years before Fangsill was even placed on that God forsaken land and the note suggested I take it before Fangsill demolishes it. They didn?t before because the owner, my father Larry White, was still alive. But if no one claims it as property of theirs, with the right papers of course, it?d be hammered to the ground.

I had to decide over as few days if I wanted to take up this opportunity. I couldn?t take my mind off it as those few days pasted. I felt that my father wanted me to have it and it?d break his heart if I didn?t. He did play at this particular summer house when he was a boy and the place was full of green grass and the gorgeous trees? leaves sung like the birds that lived in them. He wasn?t sure how it is now, but he said it was nice one evening long, long ago. I missed him and this would be something he wanted. For me to live in that summer home.

I finally decided it was best. I packed up all my stuff and my doctor supplies and left my house and furniture to some people who just moved into town. If I ever wanted to return, they?d gladly share the house. But if this summer home was as great as Father said it was, I?d never have to worry about a nice house again. Of course, living in a town would be no different, but he wished he could live outside of a town. A few miles away would be fine. But that wasn?t happening and I didn?t care. All that mattered was I was moving to a beautiful house far off in the North in a town called Fangsill. I was hopeful that the people were pleasant and not the darkest of humans. There?s nothing worse than a foul greeting.

Well, once all my items were packed, I paid for a horse and buggy ride to Fangsill. Sure it was a long ride, but I had money for it. Lots of it. The trip would take approximently 4 days with no stops, but a few stops through it would only cost us probably a half a day at the most. I?d be in Fangsill in no time.

But little did I know, no one leaves Fangsill? alive?

I sat on the seat and gazed out the window as the driver slowed down the cart. His name was Charlie. He was plump and jolly. His cheeks were red and his eyes stood beady to his big face. The further and further we were from the other town, the more ornery he became. I decided not to pay attention to his attitude, but we did have good chats along the passages. He began telling me about the old Fangsill for he use to live there. He said it use to be a grand town and the greens were more healthier than a horse.

This, I found, made time fly and soon 3 and a half days had passed. It was probably fifty more miles which would take a day or so to get passed. We took more stops than expected. The last spot we camped was in the woods near Fangsill. We made tea over the fire we started and Charlie told me more about Fangsill. He told me what it was like now.

?Well, Mr. White, it?s like this. not many move there anymore.?

?And why is that, Charlie?? I found myself asking.

?Well, the people say there?s a bit of a problem there that doesn?t attract many. In fact, people try to move from Fangsill. It?s not a very nice place to live. Oh no soirée Bob! You?ll see once your there. In the day time, it seems just fine. People selling flowers. The bakery smellin? of fresh bread and cakes. Then at night, the weirdoes come out and the place turns into a creepy carnival of the ghouls.?

?Oh?? I said, sipping my tea. ?Is that all? I thought it was something scary like Frankenstein or Dracula.? I had to chuckle at my own antics.

?Not any of those. It?s a werewolf.? I immediately stopped laughing and stared into the small eyes of Charlie.

I put down my cup and picked up the teapot to pour more for myself. ?Oh come now. There?s no such thing as werewolves. If there were werewolves in Fangsill, wouldn?t be be attacked by now. It?s night, we?re in the woods and near Fangsill.? I shook my tea then put some sugar in it. ?That?s a far off legend of superstition.?

?Oh it is, is it? Ad you?re the smartest being in the world, are ya? Well, don?t come crying to me when the werewolf gets ya.? With that, Charlie rolled down in his blankets to catch some sleep. I sat in my blanket, holding my cup of tea, and looked at the sky barely peaking through the canopy of the trees. Werewolves. What nonsense.

Once morning struck, we immediately packed our things for the ride to Fangsill. We?d be there by evening if we hurried. Night fell fast in these Northern parts and we?d hate to get stuck sleeping outside again before we made the day-long trip to Fangsill.

Charlie, snapped the reins and the horse started off, the cart surely tugging behind. Charlie cleared his throat and spoke to me, still keeping his beady eyes on the road. ?Get good rest last night, Mr. White??

I looked up from my paperwork on the new house to reply. ?To tell you the truth, no.?

?So the werewolves are keeping you occupied, are they?? he laughed and the horse made a noise along with him as if laughing too.

?Uh? no. Not at all. I was merely looking over this paperwork on the summer home I?m inheriting. I couldn?t keep my eye off how lovely this house sounds.?

?Well, it?s in Fangsill so it can?t be that great. Not to sound negative or anything. Like I said last night, not many go to Fangsill. Doesn?t seem like the likely home. Wouldn?t catch me going there. You?ll have to be half out of your mind to move to such a place. No offense, of course.?

?None taken. I?m just worried about the town folk a bit. When you said ?weirdoes?, did you mean violent savages or something of the sort??

?Of course not. They?ll probably just bug you for money or knock out your windows. The little team of police they have will probably take care of them so don?t worry about it. Gitty-up, Luther!? Luther picked up his pace as the hooves pounded softer on the muddy path. ?Ya see, Mr. White, you have nothing to fear. The town isn?t all that bad except the werewolves. I?m sure if you don?t bother them, they won?t bother you.?

?Right. That is, if they are real.? I reminded myself out loud.

?Oh, they?re real alright. And don?t you forget it.? The way he put it, I had no choice, but not to forget it. It stuck to my thoughts like a leech and stayed there. I didn?t even look at that paperwork again until I had to pack it up. My thoughts remained around the werewolves and the townspeople, but it was too late to turn back now. I must d this for my father and I couldn?t let superstition stand in my way.

Instead, I decided to have a look at the surroundings I was going to be near. It was still bright out and the forests looked pretty, Not many flowers, but the canopy with the sun shining through and the trees dazzling was too much as it is. I hadn?t noticed the glorious sites before when I was looking over my paperwork and I decided this was much more exciting. I seem too into business anyways. That?s the life of a doctor. Looking over paperwork. It?s not the best part of the job, but I?ve grown accustomed to it. Being a doctor, I hoped for an opening in Fangsill. Maybe the doctor was a loon like so many others. If so, I didn?t want him to operate or even check up on me at anytime, anywhere. At least ?til he was sane again.

As the thoughts wriggled about my mind, I hardly noticed the dark shadow zoom across the bushes a little ways from the trail into the forest. It caught my eye and I become oddly curious. My mind was immediately unclouded and I watched closely. It passed again in a matter of seconds. I had no choice, but to tell Charlie. ?Charlie! It?s out there!?

Charlie stopped Luther and the cart at once and turned to me. ?What is, lad??

?I don?t know. The werewolves??

Charlie crossed his arms and grinned. ?Nice try. Don?t try foolin? ole Charlie here. of course, you gave Luther quite a start.?

?I?m not kidding. I think the werewolf is out there.?

?Oh really? How can I tell your telling the truth??

?Well, look!? I pointed out into the woods and Charlie followed my gaze. The shadow appeared in a split second right where I pointed. Charlie?s face went pale.

?We got to go. Yes. We got to go now!? He turned towards the front and lashed the reins harshly on Luther?s back. The horse immediately responded by speeding down the road. I was tossed backward into my seat and secured myself with the cushion. My papers flew everywhere. I tried catching them, but some flew out the window.

?No!? I shouted, reaching my arm out the window. But shouting wouldn?t get them back. I then remembered the shadow and pulled my arm back inside, afraid of it to attack. I wasn?t fully believing the story. Who knows if that was the werewolf. It could be a regular wolf. And ole Charlie could be playing a trick. A pretty good one. It turned out to be pretty funny and I laughed at it. In fact, I laughed out loud.

Charlie didn?t even turn to me when he made a face at my humor. At how I was laughing about the matter. He was dead serious and I thought it was all a gag. Well, I didn?t expect anything to happen the rest of the day neither. Nothing did. Just like normal, the shadow didn?t appear again and Charlie slowed the cart down, letting Luther take a breather. I sat back in the cart and went back to my paperwork. I had enough of the scenery for one man?s day and curling up with some paperwork was for me.

?Ah. Let?s see.? Charlie had no business in it, but looked in on me anyways.

?What ya got there, Rider??

?Well, if you must know, it?s the full will of my father, reprinted and sent to everyone he placed on the will.?

?Interesting. Didn?t you say you had no family, though? Who?s he going to give stuff to??

?His friends. No one else, but his friends. And yours truly, of course.? I picked up the house paperwork and took a look at it. ?Intriguing, Charlie. My new home has a trap door hidden somewhere. My father, unfortunately, couldn?t remember where it was. He said it led to something important some gypsy woman gave him. The tales my father tells. He loves fiction, he does. Well, he did. I?m guessing this is just another story to livin? up the house a bit. And for me to remember him by, may he rest in peace.? I put the sheet of paper back in my brief case and Charlie snorted.

?Hmm? yes. Well, maybe it isn?t a tale. We have werewolves. Who said there ain?t Gypsy woman running about nilly willy. I say there is a trap door in your house and you should look for it.?

?Right. Are you in on this too, Charlie? I laugh at your antics then. Secret Doors. Gypsy woman. And werewolves. Now they are the hardest to believe.?

?You still don?t believe me about them do you??

?Not one bit.?

?And what will become of the shadow in the mind of Mr. Rider White??

?What will become of it is it will be erased like all the rest of the rubbish I?m hearing.?

?So you want to erase your father?s stories??

?Not at all. I didn?t mean that. I meant your werewolf stories.?

?Who said I made them up. They were actually from
your father.?

?My what??

?Yes. Your father told me back before you were born. I worked that town as the cab services then too, ya know. Your father was a good customer since he traveled around for medical needs. You father was a good doctor like yourself. It runs in the family, I presume.?

?Uh? yes. Yes it does.?

?Well, he gave me the story of the werewolves and I believe it. He said that?s how it is in Fangsill.?

?But he told me he knew nothing of the present Fangsill.?

?He doesn?t, but he knew it?s past.?
?Yes, but he said the last he saw it, it was all green and pretty and a wonderful place to live.?

?It probably was the last time he saw it. He didn?t see Fangsill now. He heard of it becoming a mucky and terrible place. He also heard of strange disappearances in Fangsill or even near it. All of them leading to werewolf stories.?

?Well, I still say it?s rubbish. I won?t hear of it anymore.?

?Alright, Mr. White. It?s that?s how you want it. Your father would be displeased with you not being proud of him and
all.?

I stood up in the cart and shouted harshly at Charlie. ?You have no right to talk about my father that way.? My hands shook and I sat back down, noticing what I had just done and said. ?I?m sorry, Charlie. It?s just? I miss him, that?s all.?

?I understand, lad. listen, you better get some shut eye back there. It?ll be about 8 more hours ?til it?s our stop. It?ll be a long time of paperwork.? He chuckled a bit then went straight to being serious about driving the cart. I listened to his words and went straight to sleep.

It was dark when I awoke from the sounds of Luther shouting and stomping his feet. We had stopped and Charlie was there at the door, unlocking and opening it. ?Out ya go, Mr. White.? I stepped out with my briefcase and looked around. It was still the woods and no sign of the town of Fangsill anywhere.

?But Charlie, this isn?t right. I can?t see Fangsill anywhere.? He was already unloading the very few cases I brought with me and placed them on the ground.

?I?m sorry, Mr. Rider, but I?m not going any closer to Fangsill than this. It?s only a mile or so walk and it?s still brightened with the full mo-? He stopped and look at the sky. ?Full moon. Well, good luck with your trip, there, Mr. White.? He started off to Luther when I stopped him.

?But it looks as if it?s going to rain, Charlie. I can?t walk in this.?

?Put up your hood.? He sighed and then walked back to me, taking out his money pouch. ?Okay, look. I?ll give you back some of your money if it?ll make you feel complete.? He held out some of the money I paid and I pushed his offer back with a palm.

?That?s alright. I?ll walk.? He nodded and put the money back in the pouch in which he placed in his coat.

?Alright. It?s a four day ride back to town so I best get crackin?. No camping for me tonight. I got to get there faster than I came. No rest for the weary, I always say.? I turned my back to him and put down my briefcase. I looked around my cases and noticed one of them was gone.

I turned back to Charlie and said, ?Hey, Charlie, one of my cases are? I then noticed, the cart was gone and already far down the road. Charlie and Luther were speeding even faster than the time we were chased by that shadow. ?He?s really superstitious.? I didn?t care about the case that was lost for it was just a case with useless items. After closing up all my cases from inspection, I began down the road, keeping in mind that there?s no such thing as werewolves.

?Bah. Werewolves. I?d like to see one right about now. There?s no such thing. Rubbish, I say. Rubbish. Good Lord, these cases are heavier than when I brought them. At least it can?t get any worse.? The storm clouds began what I predicted and started to pour. I put up my hood and walked on down the now muddy road. I dragged some of the cases and they became a mess. I just hoped the belongings inside wouldn?t mess up. At least not as much as the cases themselves.

After about an hour of dragged my cases, I finally saw chimney smoke pouring over the dawn sky. It was a little annoying how it seemed that night went by so fast, but fortunately the rain did also and just as fast. Once I find my real home there in the small town of Fangsill, I was sure it?d be brighter. I also hoped Charlie and Luther made it back safely.

There was a new life for me ahead. Who knew that it wouldn?t be as great as it seemed. My predictions of Charlie?s superstitious ways we?re a little off. Or may I say, way off. Fangsill, I?m home. But I may also have moved myself right into the center of danger in which I cannot escape.

Guest Shift
[size=1][color=crimson]Mesa like that! :p Mhahahha It's evil......*runs off to watch re-runs of the twilight zone*[/size][/color]