OtakuBoards

Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers...

MarkM

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pages changes depending on text size, and that sort've thing, doesn't it? My copy is from 1974... It's falling to pieces. o.o;

Anyway, the Fellowship of the Ring, the Two Towers and Return of the King are all divided into two books each. So, FOTR has book one and two, the Two Towers has book three and four, and the Return of the King has five and six.

It's like this (possible spoilers);

[b]THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING[/b]

[b]Book One[/b]

[list=1]
[*]A Long-Expected Party
[*]The Shadpw of the Past
[*]Three is Company
[*]A Short Cut to Mushrooms
[*]A Conspiracy Unmasked
[*]The Old Forest
[*]In the House of Tom Bombadil
[*]Fog on the Barrow-downs
[*]At the Sign of the Prancing Pony
[*]Strider
[*]A Knife in the Dark
[*]Flight to the Ford
[/list=1]

[b]Book Two[/b]

[list=1]
[*]Many Meetings
[*]The Council of Elrond
[*]The Ring Goes South
[*]A Journey in the Dark
[*]The Bridge of Khazad-dûm
[*]Lothlórien
[*]The Mirror of Galadriel
[*]Farewell to Lórien
[*]The Great River
[*]The Breaking of the Fellowship
[/list=1]

[B]THE TWO TOWERS[/B]

[B]Book Three[/B]

[list=1]
[*]The Departure of Boromir
[*]The Riders of Rohan
[*]The Uruk-Hai
[*]Treebeard
[*]The White Rider
[*]The King of the Golden Hall
[*]Helm's Deep
[*]The Road to Isenguard
[*]Flotsam and Jetsam
[*]The Voice of Saruman
[*]The Palantir
[/list=1]

[b]Book Four[/b]

[list=1]
[*]The Taming of Sméagol
[*]The Passage of the Marshes
[*]The Black Gate is Closed
[*]Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
[*]The Window on the West
[*]The Forbidden Pool
[*]Journey to the Cross Roads
[*]The Stairs of Cirith Ungol
[*]Shelob's Lair
[*]The Choices of Master Samwise
[/list=1]

[B]THE RETURN OF THE KING[/B]

[b]Book Five[/b]

[list=1]
[*]Minas Tirith
[*]The Passing of the Grey Company
[*]The Muster of Rohan
[*]The Siege of Gondor
[*]The Ride of the Rohirrim
[*]The Battle of the Pelennor Fields
[*]The Pyre of Denethor
[*]The Houses of Healing
[*]The Last Debate
[*]The Black Gate Opens
[/list=1]

[b]Book Six[/b]

[list=1]
[*]The Tower of Cirith Ungol
[*]The Land of Shadow
[*]Mount Doom
[*]The Field of Cormallen
[*]The Steward and the King
[*]Many Partings
[*]Homeward Bound
[*]The Scouring of the Shire
[*]The Grey Havens
[/list=1]

There, I think that'll help.

[size=1]Brilliant? Of course he is, silly.

It never occured to me that SW and Middle Earth might be competing. *looks amused*

Actually, I was furious when I first heard they were going to do the movies. I was terrifed they were going to mess everything up.

Granted, they were making a movie for a fifty-plus year fanbase, and somebody was going to be lynched if they messed anything up too horribly...[/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Yu Yu Hakusho! [/i]
[B]You have all of the books I assume? [/B][/QUOTE]

All the books? Hell, I have one big book, from when they were still making them all together, back in the Seventies man, before corporate globalisation, man, they're all in it for the money, man! Woah!

Sara: You know what my work is. ;)

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Sara [/i]
[B][size=1]Actually, I was furious when I first heard they were going to do the movies. I was terrifed they were going to mess everything up.
[/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

Well actually two of my close friends thought they did. And these girls ain't Middle-Earth nut-jobs either. They don't go around speaking Elvish or anything. On the other hand they are lit major graduates....and one of them has a Masters...:blush:

Personally, I thought the adaptation to film was pretty good. I preferred the first one over the second tho.

[SIZE=1][COLOR=teal] Favorite LOTR TT quote
[spoiler]
Pippin: We should go south, because the closer you are to danger, the farther you are from harm.

Treebeerd (yes, in the book it is beerd, not beard) Hmm, that doesn't make sense. [/spoiler]
[/color][/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Tigervx [/i]
[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=teal] Favorite LOTR TT quote
[spoiler]
Pippin: We should go south, because the closer you are to danger, the farther you are from harm.

Treebeerd (yes, in the book it is beerd, not beard) Hmm, that doesn't make sense. [/spoiler]
[/color][/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=009966]LOL I remember that! Pippin has some strange logic.....

I've heard some people say that the books are better than the movies, and I've heard it vice-versa. Which do you prefer? Personally I don't mind it either way, but I just want to know what others think about it.[/color]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=teal] Hmm, I really enjoy both. THe book has all the details and is very interesting, but then the movies can make a larger visual for when you read. The bad part is I'm still 100 pages away from return of the king -_-''. But then, I should finish the two tower before next year, right? Anyways, I'd say that the movie and book are evenly matched. Since most of the smarter fans will rather then ramble about whats missing, enjoy whats there.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[color=deeppink] [size=1]Hmm.. I just saw the Two Towers for the third time, and what I still don't understand is, who was that last army that came with Gandalf from the east?

I mean, at first I thought they were the riders of Rohan, (the ones who were exiled), but then I began to wonder how they got so... big. o_o;

Who were they, anyhow?

*hides behind desk and dodges tomatoes*[/color] [/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Juuthena [/i]
[B][color=deeppink] [size=1]Hmm.. I just saw the Two Towers for the third time, and what I still don't understand is, who was that last army that came with Gandalf from the east?

I mean, at first I thought they were the riders of Rohan, (the ones who were exiled), but then I began to wonder how they got so... big. o_o;

Who were they, anyhow?

*hides behind desk and dodges tomatoes*[/color] [/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=teal] *throws tomatoe at desk* Erm, sorry, just couldn't control myself ^_^''. But yes, they were the riders of Eomer that were exiled, and I have no idea how they got so big. But in the book, Gandalf had the help of the "Hurons," which are Ents. And the elves never came in the book either, or I missed a page or something. But yes, they were the riders. But in the book, I think it would have been better for Ents to come and help. But then it would be over 3 hours ^_^'' I'm so darn picky.[/color][/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Tigervx [/i]
[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=teal] *throws tomatoe at desk* Erm, sorry, just couldn't control myself ^_^''. But yes, they were the riders of Eomer that were exiled, and I have no idea how they got so big. But in the book, Gandalf had the help of the "Hurons," which are Ents. And the elves never came in the book either, or I missed a page or something. But yes, they were the riders. But in the book, I think it would have been better for Ents to come and help. But then it would be over 3 hours ^_^'' I'm so darn picky.[/color][/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

Heh, seeing the Ents attack Isenguard was cool though. Besides, if the Ents had marched to Helm's Deep, everyone would have been slaughtered before they got there...

And Juu--As soon as Gandalf even [i]mentioned[/i] coming back at the dawn of the fifth day, I knew he was gonna bring Eomer's exiled company with him.. yeah.. o_O;

[color=orangered][size=1]I went and saw it last Monday and I loved it so much. I don't remember much about the book because I read it about a year ago, but I know that it was pretty accurate from what I DO remember. And even if it wasn't perfectly accurate, it was still an awesome movie.

My favorite part was when the Elves arrived at the Battle of Helm's Deep. It really gave me the chills.[/color][/size]

I went to go see the movie, loved it, got slightly confused (it all worked out in the end), then went home and read the book (got the trilogy for Christmas). I was disappointed once I read the books. In my opinion, just seeing the movie as a movie makes it great, but seeing the movie as a book isn't. The way they cut conversations, and didn't even finish the whole book (it was because they included the departure of Boromir in the first movie), among several other things really lessened my joy in watching the movie. However, the one scene in Helm's Deep where Legolas slides down the stairs on the shield is awesome! ^_^

It was kinda sad that they cut down the whole part with Merry, Pip, and the Ents. Entmoot (that's what they call it in the book) really lasts three days, and in the movie it looked like it lasted five minutes. Bah. And also, it was really obvious in some parts of the movie that there was bluescreening.

Ah well, it was still a good movie. The contest between Gimli and Legolas was a cute bit of comic humour, and I enjoyed that bit.

*stops and reads post* I should stop now before I start ranting.

--Sere