OtakuBoards

Languages?

Sandy

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Transtic Nerve [/i]
[B]I speak both American and PROPER English pretty fluent. Since my boyfriend is English, I have learned alot more about proper English and how weird American is compared to it. I speak little Japanese and a little bit of Italian (2 years worth)

There's too many dialects in American to understand it all. Since our own culture doesn't exist, it's hard to keep certain dialects. Our word usuage continues to increase everyday. Esspecially the amount of slang we have. Which is due to the overwhelming amount of dialects we have. Everyone has something different. Ebonics, Spanglish, Japenglish, Country (kind of vague eh?) etc etc. [/B][/QUOTE]
You're right. We are just like a mix of other languages....Ebonics I can hardly understand...but it gets SO annoying when you hear someone at school or something saying something new....it seems as though someone is ALWAYS trying to add something...like it isn't already complicated enough...

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Transtic Nerve [/i]
[B]
There's too many dialects in American to understand it all. Since our own culture doesn't exist, it's hard to keep certain dialects. Our word usuage continues to increase everyday. Esspecially the amount of slang we have. Which is due to the overwhelming amount of dialects we have. Everyone has something different. Ebonics, Spanglish, Japenglish, Country (kind of vague eh?) etc etc. [/B][/QUOTE] [B]
uh... am I the only one that gets annoyed when people from the U.S. are refered to as Americans?? because technically Mexican's, Canadians, Argentenians, Peruvians, Columbians, and a whole swath of other nationalities are "American" since they live in North AMERICA or South AMERICA....
I prefer United Statian or just Citizen of the U.S. ... no matter how dumb it sounds...

If you're a citizen of America and live in America, then you're American. American is defined by its unique "salad bowl" culture, therefore being an American can encompass many things. Be proud.

Anyway, I'd like to start learning japanese. I might start next semester.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by GundamGohan [/i]
[B][B]
uh... am I the only one that gets annoyed when people from the U.S. are refered to as Americans?? because technically Mexican's, Canadians, Argentenians, Peruvians, Columbians, and a whole swath of other nationalities are "American" since they live in North AMERICA or South AMERICA....
I prefer United Statian or just Citizen of the U.S. ... no matter how dumb it sounds... [/B][/QUOTE]

There's a such word, that definitely sounds dumb, in French

It's étatsunien XD You must know that United States is spelled États-Unis en français, but it's still one of the dumbest words in French.

[b]I speak a little Spanish, but my first language is English.

Since my father is Irish, he had to learn Gaelic (the original Irish language) when he was a kid. I can promise you that it is one of the hardest languages to fully learn. I haven't even attempted to learn any yet. It's difficult because the written section of the language doesn't 'sound the same as it looks' when it is spoken.

I would like to start learning Japanese (I have plans to go to Japan when I'm a little older), but my school doesn't teach Japanese, only 50 other languages, lol.[/b]

I speak English and Southern Californian.
I also speak French, but this is a little complicated. I'm in my 4th year of French, but I'm in French 5. I skipped French 3 because I spent 6 months in France as an exchange student, so I'm pretty much fluent! Salut a tous les autres qui parle francais!
I hope to learn more languages in college...

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by bellatrix13 [/i]
[B][i]I speak English and [/i]Southern Californian.[/quote][/b]

[color=deeppink]"Dude, the waves were firin'! It's so good, so sic. There's just wicked hieght to those waves...they're crashin'!"

...:toothy: [/color]

[quote][b]Salut a tous les autres qui parle francais!
[/B][/QUOTE]

[color=deeppink]Salut ;) I took French for four years, but I'm rather bad at speaking it. I can write it without problems, but my mind doesn't work fast enough for me to speak it correctly.[/color]

a can speak a very vague form of russian...

I won't even say that I can speak English.. I think you've all gathered that by now...

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by GundamGohan [/i]
[B][B]
I prefer United Statian or just Citizen of the U.S. ... no matter how dumb it sounds... [/B][/QUOTE]

I believe you'll find that 'United Statian' isn't an actual word (Edit: although now that I've checked, there's a very obscure word: United Statesian), and 'U.S. citizen' is like saying 'U.K. Citizen' or 'Citizen of France'. There's just no point. People refer to citizens of the U.S. as 'Americans', so why change it?

Generally, Canadians call themselves Canadians, Argentinians call themselves Argentinians, and Mexicans call themselves Mexicans, they [i]don't[/i] call themselves Americans. If they do, they tend to say 'South American', and Canadians don't consider themselves 'American' anyway, so [i]what is the problem[/i]..

By the way.. I'm not American, I'm British (just so you know that I'm not actually defending my own country here)