OtakuBoards

Languages?

Sandy

Okay, this is one of those interview threads, but I'd really like to know

What languages you have studied, or speak, or have anything to do with?

Well, as a Finnish person, my mother's tongue is Finnish, but I've studied English nine years, since third grade, like most of the kids in my country, and Swedish as an OBLIGATORY subject five years (from seventh grade), which sucks, because [I]I[/I] suck at it. Well, it IS our second official language, so I guess it has to be learnt...Feh!

Besides those, I studied French for some years, but left it behind an year back, mainly because it was mixing my studies in Spanish, which I still continue. Y me gusta español!:D Es muy facil y muy interesante... aunque no lo hablo muy fluentamente...:(

Sí, that was that. What about you guys? Are you gurus at some foreign language? Has your education system any "recommendable" languages to be taught, or are they all optional? Tell me! Dígame!:D

my first language is lithuanian. i could speak rusian, but when i started english i kinda forgot it. now i'm in kinda comical situation. becouse i'm learning french in english.

the worst thing about knowing many languages is that i don't know any grammar. i make mistakes even when i write in lithuanian.

I'm boring. REALLY boring. Being an Oklahoman, I've known English all of my life (ok, I can say I know "Hick" but still)

Just recently (bout one or two years ago), I started to get an interest in Japanese, and know like, 112 words but that's all. I've been trying to find a course that teaches Japanese, but no can do. The closest thing that we had was a Chinese course, and that was before I was in school! The courses now are: Spanish, French, German, and Latin. The only one that really appeals to me is Latin . . . Oo;;

Rokas, your banner is too big (599 x 143). Size it down to 500 x 100 (or smaller), please.

[size=1]
[quote][i]Originall Posted by Sere Tuscumbia[/i]
Being an Oklahoman, I've known English all of my life (ok, I can say I know "Hick" but still)[/quote]

I know "Hick" too hehehe! Just because I live in Texas though. What part of "y'all" don't you guys understand lol! Anyways, besides English and "hick" I am learning Spanish jsut because my whole family is spanish and speak spanish. That is about it for right now. Nothing else I can handle at the moment. I'm only 13! But I plan on learning more in the future.[/size]

I'm french, but I've studied English for... God, about 7 years? I can't really talk it very well, but I may write it without real problems. I've also studied spanish during 3 years, but didn't get very much out of it.

[COLOR=darkred][SIZE=1]In High School, I took two years of Spanish (the required length for us). I really didn't learn too much, due to the fact that in our second year we had a college teacher who came in, and he really didn't know how to teach a class. He was very strong headed, and didn't feel like listening to any of our suggestions. Basically, I didn't learn anything that year and just squeezed by -_-

Well, I am working full time, and have a co-worker that is from Texas and speaks very fluent Spanish. Well, he is teaching me the basics, and I can understand a bit of what people ask me now ^_^ I have a TON to learn, but at least I am slowly getting it down, and hope that I will soon be able to speak some broken Spanish. That would be good =P[/SIZE][/COLOR]

my first language was english. we are required to learn another language in middle school, so we can pick german, french, or spanish. i don't know why they dont kick out the german for something that more people speak. like CHINESE. i'm taking spanish, and im going to live in guatelahara(i'll miss you guys) for a few weeks in the summer so i can learn spanish.

i take chinese at the college, and i know about 70 words of zulu..O.o

um.... i know how to say baka in japanese....baka. yeah.

that's about it. ikben das fenster.

I of course know English. I know some Hindi, Bosnian (not sure what their language is called), Spanish and a couple other random languages... "Some" basically meaning I can say a few sentences and know the swear words :).

Otherwise, I took Latin for 3 years. It was forced upon anyone who decided to join my high school's Veritas program, which basically meant you took all honors classes and participated in summer reading meetings and such (which I loathed).

I've never really used Latin outside of that class. It comes in handy with guessing what words mean on ACTs or whatever else, but that was about it. The only plus of taking Latin that I can think of, is that I can read Roman numerals without thinking about it.

Mmm.. Let's see here. I know English, of course. I understand a tiny, itty-bitty, little bit of Spanish, but can't speak it worth crap. And in school I've been studying (Canadian) French for... *thinks* What? About 6 years now, I believe.

Oh, yes. And I also speak gibberish and pig latin! :D

Well, instead of going to my reaular high school, I'm going to another one since they have a better language program. I am fluent (kind of) in Japanese, and I just want to get better at it. My teacher nomiated me for some "bilingual student of the year" or something like that for knowing Japanese. Since my mom is from Brazil, I know a little bit of Portuguese and some Spanish. I am taking French and Italian right now.....not exactly what I had in mind but oh well. I'm hoping to major in languages, espically Japanese since I plan to live there for my 1 of my high school years. Exacange programs around my area aren't that good but the high school I want to go to is much better and I am planning to get a request form to see if I can go there...I can't wait to see Japan...but that's if I do go there....

Well... My first language is french, I've spoken that since I learned how to comprehend... I have been speaking english for about...*thinks* seven years.. Yeah, ever since I found out that I has to move to Kansas. I know a little bit of spanish, and german. That's about it for my comprehension of the languages of this world... :) :D

[color=firebrick] Languages. Well...I know English, as do most of the people here. I'm learning German. I [i]started[/i] when I was, like, 6. By started, I mean my Mum taught me how to say "My name is Kathryn." And it took me until 13 to progress further than that. I can now say many things, including "I live in a one family house."

My brother is teaching me French (mainly to help him with it at school), and Mum is somehow getting Indonesian into my brain. Its because she keeps repeating the words as she's learning it.

Other than that, I used to learn Japanese, but now only remember how to say "My name is cow". :rolleyes:

...You guys get to learn [i]Latin?[/i] :flaming: I've wanted to learn that for a while now, but we don't have it here. They offer French, German, and Japanese at our school. Oh well...all in good time, all in good time... *strokes a stuffed cat, grinning evilly* [/color]

I speak both American and PROPER English pretty fluent. Since my boyfriend is English, I have learned alot more about proper English and how weird American is compared to it. I speak little Japanese and a little bit of Italian (2 years worth)

There's too many dialects in American to understand it all. Since our own culture doesn't exist, it's hard to keep certain dialects. Our word usuage continues to increase everyday. Esspecially the amount of slang we have. Which is due to the overwhelming amount of dialects we have. Everyone has something different. Ebonics, Spanglish, Japenglish, Country (kind of vague eh?) etc etc.

Guest Hikaru Ichijyo
My primary language is English though I am also fluent in Spanish and Japanese. ^_^ But please don't give me French to learn that one has always been tough to learn >.> and yet people talk to me in french at times just to get on my nerves.